Final

Burned Strings

Jongdae yelped when he was abruptly pulled back, being forced to quickly get to his feet and move away from Minseok. “M-Minseok!” He yelled, trying to move closer to the elder who had hurriedly stood up.

“Why do you keep doing this?!” Minseok shouted in frustration, looking up at the ceiling. Jongdae stumbled a little, his shoulder colliding with the wall painfully. The redhead looked over at him worriedly, darting over to his side. “Does it hurt?” He asked.

“Yeah… but its fine.” Jongdae said quietly, looking at the other apologetically.

“No it isn’t! He shouldn’t be able to do this to you!” Minseok replied, cupping Jongdae’s cheeks. The younger’s eyes widened as his hands jerked up, unwillingly pushing the elder away.

“Minseok, this isn’t me, I swear!” He said hurriedly.

“I know…” Minseok replied softly, watching as Jongdae was pulled in different directions, getting forced to spin slightly, his eyes meeting Jongdae’s scared orbs until he suddenly slumped down against the wall, his master obviously letting go of him again. The elder knelt down beside him, biting his lower lip as he took in the sight of the tangled strings. “This might hurt…” Minseok commented as he tugged the younger away from the wall, pulling him to the centre of the room and beginning to fix them, having to move the younger continuously in order to correct them.

“I hate this…” Jongdae confessed, his voice barely above a whisper. “I can’t do anything myself, I’m just a stupid toy.”

“Hey, you’re much more than a toy, you know that.” Minseok said quietly as he finished by gently putting Jongdae’s arm down by his side. “It’s complicated…”

“I want to be free.” Jongdae said softly, tears gathering in his eyes. Minseok cupped his face.

“I know…” He replied. “I’ll be here for you… I’m falling and I want you to catch me.” He added before leaning closer, connecting their lips together in a gentle kiss and feeling the younger return it after a few moments.

Minseok broke the kiss eventually, looking at Jongdae with a soft smile. “I’ll take care of you after every forced move, I’ll be here to kiss your tears away whenever he causes you pain… I don’t plan on leaving anytime soon.” He said quietly. Jongdae’s lips stretched into a happy smile, looking at the elder fondly.

“Thank you, so much.” He replied softly. “I’ll never let you be alone.”

-

The next morning, they were woken by the sound of a crash, their eyes opening in time to watch a cupboard hit the floor, its contents spilling out on the floor. Minseok sat up, placing his hands on the floor quickly as the room shook. “What’s going on?” Jongdae asked worriedly, managing to just about pull himself up by gripping Minseok’s shirt.

“J-Jongdae… I think your master’s finally angry.” Minseok said softly, flinching when the wardrobe fell down, his gaze flicking to Jongdae when the younger was pulled upright. His strings were pulled up, forcing him up into the air which made him whimper. “Minseok help me!” He yelled. Minseok got to his feet quickly, reaching up to pull him down, though Jongdae didn’t move in the slightest, only his legs swayed. The puppet looked behind Minseok, his eyes widening. “Get out!” He shouted, struggling against the strings as he remained suspended in the air. Minseok frowned, looking up at him. “Why?” He asked.

“B-Behind you!” The redhead spun around before stumbling back, a loud gasp escaping his lips. Jongdae’s master had started a fire that had quickly consumed the couch and was making its way towards Minseok, burning down everything in its path. Both males could feel the heat, the room steadily getting hotter. Jongdae squirmed, harshly tugging against his restraints. “Minseok get out! Please!” He tried. Minseok looked up at him.

“No! He’s going to kill you!” Minseok yelled back, though he choked on the rising smoke, repeatedly coughing as he covered his mouth with his hands.

“He’s not, please!” Jongdae begged. Minseok looked back at the approaching fire with teary eyes before shifting his gaze to Jongdae.

“No… If you can’t leave then neither will I.” He said quietly, fluttering his eyes closed as he felt the fire brush against one leg, a soft whimper escaping his lips, though he was determined to keep his promise. Jongdae couldn’t stop himself from crying, looking up at his strings as he gave a pained cry.

A fire began in the middle of the strings, the winding flickers of orange and yellow burning away the restraints that had held Jongdae captive for so many years, the bonds that had kept him from the world were becoming strained, beginning to unfurl under the pressure of the fire. The threads thinning, almost releasing the puppet from his torture. 

The younger gasped as he fell to the floor, his gaze flicking to his wrists and seeing the shortened string clinging to them. Though he didn’t waste another second, getting up hurriedly and grabbing Minseok’s hands, trying to run to the door, but the elder collapsed to his knees before landing on the floor with a thud. Jongdae tried quickly to lean down and lift him up into his arms, doing so a little too slowly before darting for the front door, though he staggered to a stop as a burning dresser fell in the doorway, blocking their escape. The younger knew he couldn’t get them both out, looking behind him and seeing the fire consume more of the room. He gently put Minseok down on his feet, holding him up by keeping a firm grip on his waist, bringing his hand to his heated cheek before he leant forward, pressing his lips against Minseok’s plump ones as tears began trailing down his cheeks, holding him close before scooping him up again, carefully manoeuvring him over the dresser before pushing him out of the door, watching the redhead collapse outside the door before the fire spread around the doorframe.

Jongdae backed away, looking around the room and realising he was completely trapped by the fire. He could feel the fire cracking his skin, the heat being overwhelming as he looked towards the only mirror in the room, a soft gasp leaving his thin lips. Along his cheek, where the fire had flickered across, his skin was darkened and a maze of lines marked his skin, though the realisation hit him that he was beginning to break. He fell down, no longer able to support himself and letting his eyes slip closed, the flames climbing up the strings.

-

Jongdae gasped as he woke, quickly sitting up and looking around as he panicked, trying to find Minseok. Though his eyes widened as he realised that was still inside his room, everything blackened by ash. He hesitantly got to his feet, taking a step unsteadily before he raised his hands up, his eyes widening at the sight of his bare wrists, free from the strings that had held him captive for so long. He ran to the front door, stepping through the burnt doorframe as he looked around for Minseok, feeling tears gather in his eyes when he couldn’t see him. The dark haired male darted down the road, looking around frantically for the elder. His feet froze as he heard a wheeze, looking down into a darkened alley and spotting a figure halfway down. “M-Minseok?!” He called as he began walking towards them, running closer and dropping to his knees when he saw the redhead curled up. “Minseok, wake up! It’s me, Jongdae!” He tried. Minseok coughed and spluttered before his eyes opened and he looked up at him.

“Y-You’re… You’re still here…” He whispered. Jongdae pulled him close, hugging him tightly.

“I told you, I’d never let you be alone.” He said softly, feeling Minseok’s arms wrap around his neck. He pulled back a little to connect their lips, the kiss becoming desperate as neither had thought they would make it out alive. Jongdae pulled back after a while for air, looking at the elder lovingly before noticing his milky skin. “Hey… You’re not burnt.” He pointed out quietly. Minseok pulled away and sat up properly, holding his hands out in front of himself and looking at the other in surprise.

“But how..? I was in the flames… I felt them.” He replied softly before studying Jongdae closely. “Neither are you… and you’re free.”

“Because of you.” Jongdae smiled.

“Though your cheek.” Minseok said quietly, leaning closer to the younger’s cheek.

“What is it?” Jongdae asked worriedly.

“It’s cracked.” The redhead whispered. Jongdae brought one hand up to run over his skin, feeling the indents, the only remnant of what had happened. The only way anyone would ever be able to tell that he wasn’t quite human.


Hello~

This is part two of Burned Strings ^^

Thank you for taking time to read it and I hope you enjoyed it!