Burned Strings

Burned Strings

Lying slumped against the ground, Jongdae’s eyes were closed and the red strings around his wrists lead upwards as he patiently waited to be awakened. If only the master would come back to him and play with him as he once had.

Minseok wrapped his arms further around himself, his torn clothes doing little to keep him warm as he shivered violently, the heavy rain beating down against his milky skin and soaking through the thin material. He looked around, desperately searching for somewhere that could provide shelter from the rain, beginning to run through the town’s streets, silently pleading for somewhere to open up for him. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed a shop that still had its doorway clear so he hurried over to it, practically throwing his lithe body against the door to protect himself. He shook his head quickly, water droplets flicking out of his hair and landing around him. He continued shaking as he slid down the door, curling up into a ball and closing his eyes, hoping the rain would have stopped by the time he woke up.

-

When his eyes fluttered open, Minseok looked around and saw that the rain hadn’t stopped, nor had his soaked clothes dried at all. He shakily got to his feet, looking towards the door of the shop and hesitantly trying it, shoving against it a little in an attempt to open the locked door.

Jongdae jolted awake when he felt his strings being pulled, slowly getting to his feet as he looked around, trying to see if there was a reason for the action. His hands were outstretched a little, the strings being manipulated to force him to walk forwards, his eyes landing on the door and realising what was happening. He bit his lower lip, thinking someone was trying to break in and looking up to where his strings vanished. The raven haired male grew scared at who could be behind the door, looking at it worryingly as he gave a small whimper, trying to force himself backwards but the strings urged him forwards so he didn’t have a choice. He walked towards the door reluctantly, though there was a sudden bang on the other side of the door, making him flinch. He shakily reached for the key that was perched inside the lock, turning it before pulling the door open.

-

Minseok yelped when he pushed against the door and it abruptly opened, falling inside and giving a groan when he hit the floor. He felt the warmth of the room surround him, though he took a few moments before opening his eyes, immediately giving a cry of surprise and rolling away from Jongdae.

Jongdae cringed and tried to move away, only succeeding in straightening, having been peering down at the other. “W-Who are you?” He asked nervously.

“I’m Minseok.” The redhead stated.

“What are you doing here?” Jongdae asked.

“It’s cold outside… I have nowhere to go.” Minseok answered softly, looking down at his damp shoes.

“Well I guess you can stay here until the rain goes.” Jongdae replied, closing the door. “There’s clothes over there.” He added, tilting his head in the direction of a wardrobe. “You can wear anything from there.”

“Thank you.” Minseok said quietly, giving a small polite bow before looking at Jongdae, his eyes widening a little when he noticed the strings. “A-Are you ok?” He asked hesitantly. The raven haired male smiled softly and nodded.

“I’ve always been like this.” He commented.

“You have?” Minseok asked, stepping closer and tugging at the knot on Jongdae’s string, frowning when it wouldn’t come undone.

“It’s all I know…” Jongdae said quietly. Minseok gazed at the younger, his eyes softening when he saw the pain in his brown orbs.

“I’m so sorry.” He replied softly.

“It’s alright, I guess you could say I was born to be like this?” Jongdae commented. Minseok sighed a little and nodded, not seeing why someone had to live as someone else’s play toy. He walked over to the wardrobe, pulling the doors open and growing quite surprised at the clothes that spilled out. “Why do you have so many?” He asked curiously.

“My master likes making me clothes.” Jongdae answered.

“You’re like a dress up doll.” Minseok said in amusement, causing the puppet to blush brightly.

“No I’m not…” Jongdae mumbled.

“Is this your dollhouse?!” Minseok asked, looking around and noticing the theme was rather that of a child’s dollhouse.

“If this was a dollhouse, why would you be here?” Jongdae asked back.

“True.” Minseok nodded, pulling an outfit out of the wardrobe and glancing at the other. “Can you turn around please?” He asked.

“I’d love to but I can’t…” Jongdae said with a small sigh, closing his eyes instead.

“Thanks.” Minseok mumbled, feeling a little guilty that he reminded the raven haired male of his situation, or rather entrapment. He quickly changed into a shirt and a pair of jeans, slipping on a clean pair of shoes and smiling as they fit. “You can look again.” He commented, turning to face Jongdae who opened his eyes, giving a small smile as he looked at the other.

“They suit you.” He complimented.

“Thank you.” Minseok smiled, walking over to him. “Can I help you move somewhere?” He asked. Jongdae shook his head.

“Only my master can…” He replied quietly. Minseok frowned slightly but walked to the couch and sat down. “He doesn’t play with me much anymore…” He admitted softly, looking down at the floor.

“You shouldn’t want him to play with you... You should want to be free.” Minseok commented, feeling his heart sink at the fact that there was someone like this in the world.

“No… He treats me well, he looks after me.” Jongdae said in a quiet voice.

“No he doesn’t, not if he leaves you here.” Minseok replied.

“You don’t know anything!” Jongdae commented. “You don’t even know my name…”

“Then tell me it, please.” Minseok said quietly.

“Jongdae.”

“Well, Jongdae, haven’t you ever thought of what’s out there?” Minseok asked.

“No.” Jongdae said simply.

“Why?” Minseok asked.

“Because I didn’t know there was anything behind that door until you!” Jongdae blurted. The orange haired male’s eyes widened in shock.

“Have you never left this house?!” He asked.

“I’ve never left this room.” Jongdae said weakly. Minseok’s lips parted as he gasped softly.

“This shouldn’t be allowed…” He said quietly, getting up and looking around, rooting through any draws and cupboards.

“What are you doing?” Jongdae asked, watching the elder.

“I’m cutting you free.” Minseok said determinedly, making a triumphant noise when he found a small knife, grabbing it and hurrying over to Jongdae. “Can your master see me?” He asked softly, not wanting him to hear.

“Yes… He can see everything that goes on inside this room.” Jongdae replied, eyeing Minseok as he stepped closer. The raven haired male tried stepping back, giving a frustrated sigh when he couldn’t.

The orange haired male stopped in front of the younger, gripping Jongdae’s hand as he raised the knife to the string, glancing at Jongdae’s worried face before attempting to cut the string. Jongdae cried out, desperately trying to pull his arm away and whimpering when he couldn’t, pain running down the string and through his veins. “Let go!” He cried, a few tears slipping down his flawless skin.

Minseok backed away instantly, dropping the knife to the floor in surprise. “I was cutting the string…” He said quietly.

“It hurt.” Jongdae sniffled, not even being able to wipe his tears away. Minseok’s eyebrows furrowed, watching the other struggle before realising what he was trying to do and stepping closer, bringing his hand up to gently wipe Jongdae’s tears away with the pad of his thumb. His hand rested against the younger’s cheek, noticing how soft and warm his skin was. “I’m sorry… I didn’t know.” He said softly.

“Just please don’t try it again.” Jongdae replied.

“Of course not, I didn’t mean to hurt you.” Minseok commented apologetically. Jongdae nodded, leaning into the elder’s touch and nuzzling his hand lightly, having never been touched by anyone before. A small smile tugged at Minseok’s lips, gently caressing Jongdae’s cheek, though he soon realised how intimate it seemed and took a few steps back, withdrawing his hand.

Suddenly, Jongdae collapsed to the floor, his arms lying out in front of him as he landed awkwardly, giving a soft whimper as he knew his master had dropped him. Minseok watched in surprise and quickly knelt down in front of the younger. “Are you alright?” He asked worriedly.

“Y-Yeah…” Jongdae whispered, his eyes fluttering closed as he tried not to cry. “He let go...”

Minseok bit his lower lip, tugging at the string attached to Jongdae’s wrists and growing surprised by his ability to lift the younger’s arms. He tried to shift him so that he was in a more comfortable position, smiling softly when Jongdae gave a small relieved sigh and managed to relax a little. “Thank you…” He said quietly.

“It looked like it hurt.” Minseok commented as he shifted to sit cross legged on the floor.

“It does.” Jongdae replied quietly, thinking the pain in his heart was greater than the physical pain of being dropped, it meant his master didn’t care about him, didn’t want him anymore.

“I’m sorry that you live this way…” Minseok said softly.

“It’s fine, living like this is better than how you live, isn’t it? I mean, what would you be doing in that weather anyway?” Jongdae asked.

“I… I’m homeless.” Minseok confessed quietly. Jongdae looked at him in surprise.

“Why?” He asked, curiosity getting the better of him.

“My mother had to give me up when I was younger… I didn’t understand then, but she traded me for food and clothes.” Minseok replied in a whisper, embarrassed by the fact that he was traded for such a materialistic reason.

“What? How could she do that to you?” Jongdae questioned, his eyebrows furrowing.

“Easily, when you’re starving and living down an alleyway, I think you’d do pretty much anything.” Minseok commented.

“But you’re her son, how could she just give you up so quickly?” Jongdae frowned.

“Jongdae, you don’t understand.” Minseok replied. “You could never understand unless you knew what it was like… Living out there, it’s different to in here.”

“How is it?” Jongdae asked curiously.

“Everyone’s out for themselves, if you’re starving out there, they’d feed you… for a price.” Minseok tried to explain.

“What?” Jongdae looked at the elder in confusion.

“I… I-” Minseok broke off, looking over at the pile of torn clothes. “I tried to… sell myself.” He whispered, tears gathering in his eyes as his skin tinged pink, looking down in shame.

“H-How..? Why?” Jongdae questioned, not being able to understand how someone could do such a thing.

“I-I offered to give someone my ity… I need food and supplies.” Minseok whimpered. Jongdae’s eyes widened.

“But you don’t have either of those…” He pointed out.

“I know… I ran away when they started… I couldn’t do it.” Minseok replied as he sniffled. “It just felt so wrong, their hands-” He stopped again, burying his face into his hands.

“Minseok.” Jongdae called quietly. “You didn’t let them and you’re safe now… Please try not to think about it.”

“But I’m so hungry!” Minseok cried.

“There’s food over there…” Jongdae commented, trying to point with his hand and only succeeding in pointing with his finger. Minseok looked over at the cupboard the younger was pointing to.

“Are you serious?” He asked.

“Yeah, help yourself… I don’t eat.” Jongdae replied. “So I store everything my master gives me.”

“Why don’t you?” Minseok asked as he wiped his cheeks on the sleeve of his shirt.

“I’ve never been able to stomach anything they’ve given me.” Jongdae commented.

“So are you really like a doll?” Minseok asked curiously.

“I don’t know… maybe.” Jongdae replied.

“Well did you have a childhood?” Minseok asked.

“A childhood?” Jongdae said in slight confusion. “I don’t know what that is…”

“Wow… You’re like an actual toy.” Minseok said out of amazement, though his stomach growled loudly which caused him to blush lightly. “Is it really ok to eat?” He asked. Jongdae nodded.

“Of course it is.” He replied, deciding to ignore the elder’s comment of being a toy as he didn’t like the idea of it. Minseok stood up and eagerly walked over to the cupboard, pulling it open and hearing his stomach grumble again at the sight of food. “Eat the stuff at the front.” Jongdae called.

“Why?” Minseok asked, reaching inside and pulling a sandwich out which was at the front.

“Because it’s the most recent.” Jongdae commented. Minseok nodded in understanding, quickly taking a bite and giving a small hum in satisfaction at the taste.

“You have real food…” He mumbled, eating the sandwich a little hurriedly.

“Yeah… What do you have out there?” Jongdae asked.

“It’s all processed… none of its proper.” Minseok commented as he looked in the cupboard for more.

-

Once his stomach was full, Minseok sat back down next to Jongdae, patting his tummy happily. “Thank you so much.” He said with a smile.

“It’s fine… I’m glad it hasn’t gone to waste.” Jongdae commented. “When was the last time you ate?”

“Last week… Someone was growing vegetables so I stole one.” Minseok answered, watching as the younger looked at him in surprise.

“You steal things?!”

“Yeah, it’s one of the only ways to survive.” Minseok commented.

“That’s… What if you get caught?” Jongdae asked.

“You run.” The redhead said simply. Jongdae shook his head a little.

They continued talking late into the night, neither particularly growing tired, possibly from the excitement of meeting someone new. Though Minseok eventually yawned and stretched cutely, laying down on the floor beside Jongdae. “Is it getting cold in here?” He asked quietly.

“It does sometimes… You can come closer to me.” Jongdae replied before swallowing. “I mean, if you want.” He added quickly. Minseok smiled softly and shifted close, feeling Jongdae’s warmth almost immediately.

“Thank you…” He said softly. “Sweet dreams.”

“Goodnight.” Jongdae smiled, letting his eyes drift closed.

-

The next morning, Minseok woke to cold air surrounding him, making him give a small whine and try to shift closer to Jongdae, though he was still met with coldness. His eyes fluttered open, blinking a few times to clear the sleepiness before sitting up. “Jongdae?” He asked, looking around the room and spotting him sat by the window. The dark haired male looked over at him.

“I’m sorry… Master… He moved me here this morning.” He explained quietly.

“It’s okay.” Minseok said as he stood up. “Is he mad that I’m here?” He asked curiously.

“I don’t know, but you’re still here so I don’t think he minds.” Jongdae answered. Minseok nodded, walking over. “How did you not know there was something behind the door? You have a window…” He commented.

“I thought it was a television.” Jongdae replied as he blushed in embarrassment. Minseok gave a soft laugh, the younger noticing how sweet it sounded and smiling. The redhead sat down opposite Jongdae on the window ledge, peering out of the window. “The rain’s stopped…” He pointed out quietly.

“It has.” Jongdae nodded in agreement. “That’s good, right?”

“I guess so.” Minseok replied, pouting a little as he realised it meant he would have to leave the warmth and security of Jongdae’s home. “I should get going…”

“What? Why?” Jongdae asked, sounding a little panicked. He had never met anyone before so he didn’t want to lose him.

“I came here because I needed to be protected from the rain, remember?” Minseok commented.

“But you have nowhere to go…” Jongdae reminded him.

“Would your master really be okay with me living here? I mean, I’m not a puppet…” Minseok asked.

“I… I don’t know.” Jongdae confessed. “But please, stay… at least until he gets mad.” He tried.

The orange haired male swallowed nervously and nodded. “Alright, thank you for letting me.” He said quietly.

“You don’t need to thank me, you’re the first person I’ve ever met.” Jongdae smiled.

“Really?” Minseok asked, rather surprised.

“Yes… All I’ve had is this place and my master, I don’t even know what he looks like.” Jongdae replied. Minseok’s lips formed an ‘o’ shape, his surprise growing.

“That sounds so lonely…” Minseok commented quietly.

“I guess so, but as I said before, I’m used to it.” Jongdae commented. “I sing sometimes, to fill the silence.”

“Oh you do?” Minseok smiled softly. “Will you sing for me?” He asked.

Jongdae’s lips tugged up into a smile as he nodded. “I haven’t listened to much music though, only what my master plays me.” He replied, clearing his throat a little. Minseok sat a little straighter, finding himself rather eager to hear the other. Jongdae gulped, growing nervous as he realised he had only ever sung in front of his master.

His voice started out soft, sounding shy as he closed his eyes, partly pretending the elder wasn’t there as he began to steadily grow louder. Minseok’s smile widened, thinking of how beautiful Jongdae’s voice was, though he didn’t recognise the song so he listened closely to the lyrics. Jongdae put his heart into the song, trying his hardest to sound good, though when he reached the last verse, he jolted and choked when his strings were tugged at harshly, making him lose his balance on the windowsill and slip onto the floor. He coughed a little, looking upwards and swallowing, feeling his eyes get a little teary at being stopped.

“He must be mad that you were singing for me…” Minseok said softly, moving to kneel between Jongdae’s legs, the younger only then realising that his eyes were watering.

“Y-Yeah…” He replied in a whisper. “I’m sorry, I don’t think I’ve ever cried so much.” He added.

“It’s okay.” Minseok said quietly, wiping the puppet’s cheeks gently. “You have an amazing voice.” He commented.

“Thank you.” Jongdae smiled softly. “I can’t really do anything else…”

“What was the song?” Minseok asked curiously.

“Ah, I made it myself.” Jongdae replied brightly, proud of it.

“You did? Wow, that’s impressive.” Minseok smiled.

“Thanks.” Jongdae said quietly, leaning his head forward to keep the contact with Minseok’s hand.

-

A few days had passed since then and the pair had steadily grown closer, spending most of the time getting to know each other, especially because Jongdae had been left alone by his master for most of them.

They were both lying on the floor, comfortably snuggled up together, when Jongdae asked softly. “Minseok, what does it feel like to be in love?”

“Love? Uh, I don’t think anyone’s ever been able to really tell.” Minseok commented, thinking hard about it. “I think someone said about there being a warmth throughout your body and it feels like butterflies are in your stomach.” He added with a small smile before it faded. “But I’ve never been in love.”

“You haven’t?” Jongdae asked in surprise. “But you’re good looking…” Minseok blushed brightly at the compliment, hiding his face in the crook of the younger’s neck.

“No I haven’t… I don’t normally stay in one place long enough to fall.” He said quietly. “And I’m not.”

“Of course you are.” Jongdae replied. “Oh… So, if I asked, do you love anyone, what would you say?” He asked curiously, feeling his heart beating a little faster at his own words.

“I would say… that I feel a warmth in my heart, but it’s too soon to call it love.” Minseok confessed softly, keeping his face hidden. Jongdae swallowed before taking in a deep breath.

“W-When you’re this close to me… I can feel the butterflies and the warmth.” Jongdae admitted in a whisper. Minseok pulled back a little so he could look at the younger in surprise.

“Y-You feel it too?” He asked quietly, his lips curving up slightly when Jongdae nodded.

“I… I’d love to kiss you…” Jongdae said softly. Minseok’s skin turned a light pink, his gaze dropping from Jongdae’s eyes to his lips, half tempted to lean closer and feel them.


Note: There's a second part to this~ ^-^