Day 60

100 Days of Rain

It’s been eight days since I found out about Han Geng's illness. The doctor named Si Won still wouldn't tell us what was wrong with Hannie. Each day more worry and dread grew within me. I'd always visit Han Geng in the hospital every single day. I'd eventually fall asleep there in his arms, only to wake up the next morning with Henry and Zhou Mi wiping my unconsciously falling tears.

"When I die, Hee Chul... Will you show Zhou Mi where you and I first met?" Han Geng asked as I listened to his steady heartbeat.

"Why?" I asked softly.

"Because that's where my ashes will be buried," he answered.

I let my tears fall. "Han Geng..." I whispered.

"Don't fight with the lightning," he murmured into my hair. "I'm going to die, and neither of us can change that."

I stared out the window, hearing the splashes of rain. "You know why it rains so often?" Han Geng asked.

I just stared at him to continue. "It's because it wants you to love it."

"How? How can I love rain? Why should I?" My voice was shaking badly.

Han Geng smiled gently and put a hand to my cheek. "I am rain, Hee Chul. Do you love me?"

I nodded vigorously and rubbed my face against his chest, my tears staining his shirt. "I do, Hannie. I loved you enough to leave my family, remember? I loved you enough to learn about the stupid ing rain. That's why I won't let you go. I love you too much."

Han Geng kissed the top of my head. "Have you been counting how many days it's been since we first met?" Han Geng asked.

I nodded. "Today is the 60th day," I replied.

He kissed my lips softly. "Keep counting. And while you're counting the days, watch the rain. Let me tell you, ever since I met you, everywhere I go, it's always raining."

I thought back in my head. He was right. Even with me, when I went back to Korea, it rained every day I was there. It was either a drizzle or pouring, all day or for just a few minutes.

"So... We've had... 60 days of rain already?" I asked.

Han Geng just chuckled and kissed me again. "Just keep counting, princess," he said.

I laid my head on his chest again as he began to sing a Chinese lullaby. I woke up later that night in Han Geng's bed at home. Henry was laying beside me, his fist clutching tightly onto my shirt. Zhou Mi was slouched in a chair next to the window, a discarded coffee mug on the table next to him.

I wanted to get up to go back to the hospital and sleep with Han Geng, but I didn't want little Henry to wake up. So I stayed. I didn't fall back asleep though. As the sun rose up into the sky the next morning, a light drizzle of rain falling from the sky, I said to myself, "Day 61."