Chapter | 03

Fearless
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
     

fearless.

Current Music :  Unconditionally - Katy Perry

 

■ ■ ■

 

Donghae can't plays like other kids in his age. He is different. He always knows it, his umma told him so.

 

He can't run, he can't jumps, he can't be getting too much sweats, he can't be tired. He can't be as free as he wants, he cannot be a part of any fun games and activities the other kids enjoy to do.

 

Donghae can only sat by the outside of field watching boys and girls around his age running and screaming and laughing and having so much fun with each other.

   

Because he is sick.

   

It's called Asthma.

   

And he has it since a baby.

   

Ever since he was littler the symptoms has been always comes during the night and the early morning, and although after the medication taken the symptoms hadn't been coming as frequently as before they still could be trigger by several conditions such as exercising and doing something tiring both mentally and physically.

 

The sickness makes him have difficulties to breath. When it comes he will started to cough and wheezing and his chest will hurt, his head will get dizzy because everything will spinning around, and sometimes his eyes can't even focus on things because the dizziness and pain in his chest and the air that he barely could intake. The next thing that happens if he doesn't have inhaler with him is he will fall to unconsciousness.
Sometimes things would getting so much bad that a quick-relief inhaler only wouldn't be able to fix him, and that is when the asthma attack could be so dangerous and life-threatening that he should immediately taken to hospital where all the doctors know what to do.

 

Asthma can't be cured, but its symptoms can be controlled. Doctor Jung said what he has is an exercise-induced asthma—easily triggered by doing something tiring and it may be worse when the air is cold and dry—that's why umma forbids him to play and get tired or to go somewhere alone all by himself.

   

That's why he didn't have any friends.

   

No one make an effort to befriend him the second they know he was no fun to befriend with. Everyone just basically stopped asking him to join their games and plays and no one bother to company him at the side line of the field or talk to him instead of joining the plays on the field either.

   

Who wants to babysit someone who is too weak to run?

 

Absolutely no one.

   

Donghae has never really have a friend.

   

Not until Hyukjae.

   

It was on the day he first came back to school after a series of unending absent on the previous years and classes that they both met.

 

He was scared and feeling out of place when he stepped in the class back then. It's terrified him, the fact that he didn't know anyone—and vice versa because he's sure no one did know him too. Nothing is familiar even though this building is always been his school since he was 6 and a half and it's just make him even more nervous.

 

Donghae was sure he'll make a fool of himself the moment he stepped inside the class ...or maybe he would met his classmates piercing eyes looking indifferently at him first? And then he would be too shy to greet anyone and ended up all alone just like his previous few years went by.

 

His head had filled with lots of negative thoughts it even had taken some minutes for him to muster a courage to look at his new classroom.

 

But later then he decided that he had to at least find an empty chair to sit on—hopefully thinking that after he have had taken a sit he'll have some guts to greet one or two people around him and make friends—and that was the moment when his eyes met him.

   

Donghae initially thought Hyukjae is some kind of an angel.

   

His unusual golden hair is so stunning and absolutely beautiful. But it's not only his hair. Everything about him was stunning.

 

Hyukjae has a beautiful pair of almond shape single-lidded eyes, plump lips and pale white skin, his golden locks ruffled in a stylish mess and looked so fluffy and tempting to touch. The boy appearance reminded him of those perfect description of a prince his umma always read to him before he fell asleep when he's still a little boy.

     

When Hyukjae said he too wanted to be his friend he was beyond happy.

     

He wanted to be a good friend for Hyukjae. Good enough for him to never leave him alone.

   

Good enough that Hyukjae willing to stay and always be his friend.

     

■ ■ ■

 

"Hae let's play!"

 

Donghae raised his eyes that had been so engrossed in his English text book and looked up finding his best friend Lee Hyukjae panting and smiling so bright in front of him, already discarding his uniform and now wearing white sleeveless tee and track pants showing his flawless milky white arms that had made some girls openly checking him.

 

"Huh?" He tilted his head and blinked his eyes in confusion.

 

Hyukjae's smile grew impossibly wider and brighter before he stretched his arms and reached to his friend's cheeks and pinched them out of playfulness.
(And because the brunette was being so cute without he even realize and Hyukjae just can't take it).

 

"Come play with me and the other."

   

If there was one thing that Donghae had kept as a secret from Hyukjae in their blooming friendship it was about his condition.

 

Donghae never told his best friend he has asthma.

 

His protective and loving umma had made sure she talked with his teachers and principal about his condition before the new semester began therefore so far he was able to participate in every subjects and classes even P.E

 

His teacher in P.E was so kind to him he was one of the teachers who always made sure he could participate in class just like the other kids, silently giving him slightly easier task compared to the others without them noticing and always watched him to make sure he wasn't too worn out in class.

 

With so many helps given to him he finally able to experienced how normal school life felt like along with his other classmates without feeling left out and showing his weakness.

 

Donghae has many friends now (it was mostly thanks to Hyukjae though since the latter was an ultimate magnet to everyone) and all of them are kind and funny and Donghae didn't want them to know he was sick and see him differently after that.

 

Including Hyukjae.

 

Not that he didn't trust the boy, he just didn't want Hyukjae disappointed.
Donghae wanted to be perfect.
Just like how Hyukjae was being a perfect friend for him.

   

"I can't. I'm reading right now."

   

Hyukjae frowned hearing the answer. He peeked on the book the brunette was had been diligently reading and frowned even more.

 

"English? Why would you read that? We didn't have any assignments, did we?"

 

"No silly, I just want to be good for the upcoming test."

 

"Hae," Hyukjae leaned casually on his side table and fondly ruffled the younger's brunette locks. "I already said I'll teach you on Saturday."

 

"But Hyukkie, I couldn't just depend on you," Donghae puffed his cheeks. "Just go play with the others, I'm alright here, they must had been waiting for you."

 

"No, I want you to join this time. We're going to play Dodge Ball hae, it's gonna be fun."

 

"But—" Donghae tried to reasoned but the later already pulling his hand and dragged him out of the classroom.

 

"I don't know how to play Dodge Ball—"

 

"I'll teach you. The play is easy."

 

"No

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter