Rain

The Wolf and The Hunter

When Junhyung and Doojoon return back to the village it was around 2 pm, the whole village seems busy and lively. People cleaning the roads for the float, shops and restaurants decorated with wolf masks and blue and red ordainments, families preparing food for the feast and even kids helping out by stacking pieces of wood for the bonfire later. Even thought everything seems hectic, the atmosphere is full of joy and laughter.

“The celebration seems to have a slow start this year?” states Junhyung, as him and Doojoon approach their house.

“Yeah” Doojoon said, glancing at Junhyung. “Is something bothering you Jun? When you came out of the forest you seemed disoriented and you seem impatient about something.”

I wasn’t surprised that Doojoon notice how fidgety I was, the golden apple felt like it was burning a hole in my bag right now.

Doojoon always had sharp senses and observation skills; he would be the first one to know how I’m feeling, sometimes even before I know it myself. When I was a kid I got bullied for being his brother, the great Doojoon that exceeds in everything and me the little brother, that’s how the students labeled us at our small school.

My classmates would often tease me and push me around saying “what are you going to do send your brother after us.” That’s one of the reasons why I got into so many fights, going home with bruised knuckles and small cuts on my body that I hid from my family.

But Doojoon found out about the fighting, being the hero that he is he talked to those kids and they never bothered me again. Although I was thankful to Doojoon, a small voice in the back of my head would always remind me

 

“Doojoon saved you again.”

“As expected you will always be little brother.” 

“Can’t you do anything by yourself.”

 

 Leading me to slowly distance myself from him, not wanting to be known as Doojoon’s younger brother and having to be always protected by him.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Can’t wait for the festive to start.” Giving Doojoon a small smile, trying to change to topic.

“Since you’ve been traveling a lot have you heard about the uprising?” Doojoon asked out of nowhere.

I gave Doojoon a confused face as I dismounted off my horse, “No, I haven’t heard. Is there something I should know?”

“Well since last year the religious communities have been trying to start a uprising to stop the Red wolf celebration, along with many governor officials. Saying that there is only one god or how we shouldn’t celebrate because the red wolf isn’t real and it would make god angry.” I heard Doojoon sigh as he continued, while we are putting our horses in their stable. “I heard that some groups even went as far as rampaging through the streets of a major towns to stop the celebration.”

I thought about it as we approached the front doors. “Do you think our village will be affected?”

“The chances as unlikely, since our villages enjoys celebrating and plus it lets people forget about their stress with the economic problem we’re facing. But there are some villagers who oppose and they usually meet up at the small church that we build last year.”

“Our village built a church, why?”

Doojoon shrugged, “Since the government said that any communities with 1,000 or more people have to at least have one religious build. The situation is even bazaar to me.” A pause as he opened the door, “Don’t ponder over it, nothings going to happen. Just enjoy tonight.”

I nodded while trying to look attentive, but after hearing about the recent news evolving the red wolf; I’m thinking keeping today’s event to myself will be safer.

“Junnie,” my mother called. “I told you to not stay out for that long. Now quickly come. Help me, bring the food to the feast table down at the village.”

I groan, “But I just got here. Why don’t you let Doojoon do it.”

“Well, that’s why you should have came home earlier. And Doojoon has to go help with float.” Mother said as she shoves a long box into my arms and I could smell the aroma of her famous chicken pot pie from the box. “Now hurry the celebration will start in half in hour.  Your father and I will meet you there when the parade starts at 6.” Already pushing me out the door.

I sighed ‘Well, so much for a break.’ In the end I decide to walk then rather take my horse since I don’t want to damage the food and the festival destination is only a 10-minute walk away.

 

---------------------

 

The feast table is outside this year since the weather is nice, the table is set in one of the bigger alleyways connected to the main road with the food table near the wall and there is a seating area for people to rest and eat. The tables were almost full, the person in charge told me to put the food on third table down the right. I caught some little kids trying to sneak a bit of food off the table, before walking toward the less crowded area of the street.

I looked at small stands that sold a verity of goods from clothes to dyes to jewelries to household items. I wondered around from stand to stand and occasional got some food to let time pass faster, waiting for the parade start. From wondering I bought pair of brown leather shoes with a golden buckle that caught my eyes along with a long tan cape with a hood, that I might need for when winter comes. 

At long last it is 6 I had to push my way through the sea of people that were trying to see the parade, to find my parents and a comfortable place to watch the parade. The parade was marvelous as always, the amazing street dancers and the fantastic float paired with great music from musicians on a smaller float. The parade lasted around 2 hours, afterwards everyone went to get food and wonder around a bit before the bonfire starts at 9.

The bonfire is my favorite part, the 7 feet tall pile of dried wood and bark that’s going to be lit on fire brightening up the night sky, with people dancing, sing in the middle of a field made for the bonfire. And have just some good old bonding time with each other. Many couples would propose or kiss near the bonfire; it’s a naive belief made by couples that you will have another happy year with you lover.

I went to check out the bon fire preparation to see if they needed any help, they seemed to have everything set up. But there was something weird about it I couldn’t put my finger on it, I tried to get a closer look but the person stopped me saying the events going to start soon so I had no choice but to step back.

A crowd started to gather around standing a safe distance away to watch the bon fire get lit. That’s when I realized what was off there was a faint smell of oil in the air, no one noticed because of the food and excitement that s going on. I pushed my way to the front and try to find the people in charge to tell them about the oil smell, but I was pushed back as they wouldn’t listen to my concern.

“Don’t worry kid we got everything under control, you’re over thinking it.” I hope that they were right and it was my senses playing tricks on me.

But as the person threw the torch into the bonfire I realize I made a mistake.

“Everybody! Run!” I yelled as the wood got lit up and the flames shot up in the air flying in different directions setting grass on fire as it continued to grow. Lucky no got hurt, but to my horror the flames were out of control spreading in all directions. Everything was chaotic, people were screaming and running to get away from the fire.

 Adrenaline rush through my veins, speeding up my heart, I knew I have to do something or else the village could burn down.

“Quickly! Grab a bucket and get water from the river!” I yelled again trying to get peoples attentions.

Successfully gaining their attention I ran to one of the stand that sold apples and dumped apples on the ground, and ran to the river to get water. The villagers were able to get back their senses and rushed to get anything that could hold large amount of water and headed for the river.

“You! Go alert the village chief.” The young boy nodded, running toward village.

I carry the bucket of water throwing it at the flame, along with other villagers. The villagers are trying to keep the fire in the field, so it wouldn’t get to the buildings. No one could go too close to the flame the heat was unbearing even thought the flame got smaller. But it was still spreading like wildfire; the blaze seems to be unstoppable, even with help of the chief’s men.

I start to pray, for something- anything to stop the fire, but I was asking for a miracle.

I felt a gush of wind blowing at me and something drop on my face, I froze and looked up to see dark clouds covering the usually starry sky. Touching my face as I felt another drop on to my face.

 

Rain

 

Before I realize it started pouring, drenching me from head to toe. I looked back at the flame as it slowly died out. The villagers cheered and hugged each other; thrilled that the fire didn’t destroy the village. I smiled at the phenomenon; I never knew rain could be this beautiful and purifying.

I looked across the river at the forest, a red figure stood up from it’s laying position. Even without getting a clear look at it I knew it was the red wolf, I watch it as it disappeared back into the forest.

“Thank you,” I said silently.

“Junhyung!” I turned around seeing Doojoon running towards me, “Oh thank god, your alright.” He said huffing, trying to catch his breath.

“I can take of myself, don’t worry.”

“I know. Good job back there if you didn’t say anything it would have been a much worse."

“You were there?”

“Yeah I came as soon as I heard people screaming. Mother and father got caught in the crowd and couldn’t come.”

Villagers calmed down from the event and began to head home.

“Come on. Lets go home. A lot has happened today.”

 

---------------------------------------

 

“Do you have to leave this early Junnie?” My mother said while pouting. The morning sun just began to rise from the clouds, creating a pinkish orange glow that covered the village.

“You know to can stay another day, after what happened yesterday the chief wants the thank you. “ My father tried to convince me.

“It’s ok Doojoon can go accept the thank you in my place. I have to head out if I want to get to the northern village while this weather is still holding up.” I said hugging my parents.

“You know you can just stay with us, since who know when we will need a hero to save us from another fire.” My mother said smiling

I laughed, “I’ll come back an visit. I promise. Well I got everything ready to go.” I patted my cart that is covered with a large sheet held in place by ropes, containing clothes, fur, food and other goods.

I went to get my horse out the stable, attaching the cart to it’s back. And headed out the barn, with my parents behind me.

“Hey, you know you should stop by the royal place if you have the chance.” Doojoon greets me outside the barn.

“Here’s a letter incase you ever stop by, just give this to the guards and they’ll let you in.” Doojoon hands me a plain white letter with his signature on it.

“Thanks,” I reach out for a hug. “I’ll definitely stop by.” I broke the hug and climbed on to my horse.

“Bye. I’ll see you guys later, ” I said turning around on my horse waving at my family, as I slowly departure.

 

------------------------------

 

I am now on the road again, “I guess it’s just you and me again.” I said to my horse. Looking at the empty space of green ahead of me. I felt at ease, but I had a jabbing feeling of regret. The Red Wolf is just a mere memory now, i still have the golden apple but i have no idea what it is and what to do with it.

I stop on the side of the road near the forest to rest for a bit, giving my horse some food and water. I leaned against my cart looking at the sky with clouds gently rolling by, without realizing my eyelids felt heavy before completely closing them.

I woke up to the sound of my horse whining, I slowly opened my eyes glaring at the bright sunlight blinding my eyes.

“Finally, you’re awake.” A silvery, soft voice spoke behind me.

Shocking me awake, I took a look around, seeing no one ‘I must still be dreaming.’ I thought.

 I got up and stretched with my back to the cart.

“Wow, someone’s a sleepy head aren’t they?” I heard the same voice in a teasing tone.

I slowly turned around and quickly jumped back, I stared at the peculiar sight. A boy who seemed no older then me laid on his stomach on top of my cart. He had porcelain white skin contrasting his fiery bright red hair almost reaching his shoulders that looked more intense under the sun. A pair of small triangular red ears pokes through his hair along with his long, fluffy matching red tail slowly swaying behind him. But what baffled me the most is that he is and acted like nothing was wrong just calmly lay there looking at me with large, clear brown eyes.

“Close your mouth or flies will get in, trust me it’s not pleasant.”

I didn’t realize I was gaping; I swiftly compose myself trying to string together a proper sentence.

“ Who are you?” I said firmly questioning him, “And what are you doing on my cart?”

He smile a little or that’s what it looked like it also looked like a smirk, he causally sat up cross legged with his tail now on his lap and look directly at me.

“I am Hyunseung and you should know wolf’s don’t wear clothes.”

 

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys, sorry for the hiatus I took. I'll warn you guys I'm a procrastinator, but I'll try to make weekly/monthly updates. So you'll have to bear with me.

I feel really Junseung deprived -_- They seem distant from each other and i feel like Hyunseung is distant from the other members. Sorry lack of food is getting to me :P

Thank you to all the people who commented and subsribed to my story, to be honest i didn't expect any suscribers. I'm happy that you guys enjoy my story. XD 

Comments are loved <3