One

Just Curious

   A few months have passed since the news of her son's broken engagement broke out, which spread like wildfire.

   A few weeks after the broken engagement, at the Gong company, a new idea was just launched and with the reporters swarming the front doors of both companies, Mrs Gong succeeded in making her husband send their son abroad to experiment on the new idea. About six months passed and Gongchan was finally on the way back.

   Due to the many reporters and a slight fear, Mrs Gong decided to welcome her son from home. She remembered the day of the supposed engagement day, the day where Mr Im called and told them - with much resentment - that the engagement was off. Unable to tell her son right away, since her son's face looked almost desperate to look for Nana, she remembered his face when he came back. His emotionless face. His smiles lessened that week, and when he did smile, they were hollow. He only spoke when he knew he had to. Mrs Gong could not help regret, letting her son meet her in the first place.

   Gongchan walked towards the car, with bodyguards by his side, fending some reporters off. The number of reporters were less compared to his departure, but either way, it was not exactly pleasant to have that much people swarm like bees towards him. The whole six months in Jeju, he pushed the thought of her away, letting only work and his mother's daily calls circulate in his brain.

   It was not easy to do so, as most things remind him of her, but it was manageable. He busied himself, even working overtime, expanding the new project with the goal of making his father proud. 

   He arrived home with the most sincere smile he's had in a while, causing his mother to sigh in relief. He took her in an embrace, and gave her a light peck on the cheek. They entered the house, and to Gongchan's surprise, his father was waiting inside. Gongchan knew that his father was suppose to go to work, and for his father to welcome him, it caused him to involuntarily smile. He bowed and greeted his father, his father lightly shook his shoulder, a sign of aknowledgement, thought Gongchan. He proceeded to sit across his father, and his father gave a light smile.

   That smile washed over every worry he had. For his father to smile at him, was something he had been wishing to see everyday. His father proceeded to talk about business, telling him that he did well.

   Mrs Gong was about to stop her husband, to tell him that Gongchan needed rest. But seeing her son's lit up face, she stopped and let them have their talk. Mrs Gong walked away and told the maids to make them a meal, and soon afterwards they had dinner.

   But that happiness did not really prevent Nana from entering his mind just before bed. Out of nowhere, he started wondering how she was; Was she well? How was work? And lastly.. how's that guy? He fell asleep thinking of her.

   The next morning, his mother forced him to stay at home and only work the next week. Due to his disability to stay put he decided to have a jog. The jog went well and he arrived home with the mindset of watching the news, to have something to talk about with his father. And lastly ended with a short talk with his father after dinner. But he cannot say Nana did not pass by his mind at all that whole day.

   The next day the same happened, and also the next.

   Thursday, he planned to repeat the same routine, but decided to jog in the afternoon since the weather that morning seemed dull. At about 3pm, noticing that the rain was not falling anytime soon, he went off to jog. About an hour through the jog, he took a quick break and bought a bottle of water at a nearby convenience store. He gulped half the bottle in one shot. He leaned on the wall and looked around, taking in a quick view of the neighbourhood in the afternoon. But then he saw her.

   Nana had her hair up in a ponytail, her clothes were plain, unlike her usual elegant get up. Even so, she was still beautiful, he thought. She was waiting alone, against the motorcycle he saw before. She was aimlessly gazing around when her eyes met his. The two was frozen on the spot. Neither of them expected to see each other, although Gongchan wished he did.

   Gongchan took in a breath and put on his usual smile, pushing the temptation to take her into his arms. He approached her,"Nana-ssi, what brings you here?" he exclaimed.

   She smiled slightly, an awkward expression could be made up from her face. Before she could answer, the man whom he assumed was her new boyfriend came while calling her name. He gave Gongchan a glance, and Gongchan saw a slight smirk plastered across his face.

   The boyfriend actually saw the news of Gongchan's arrival a few days ago and knew about the whole arranged marriage. He took the chance to , thinking; if this rich was caught in a fight due to his 'ex-fiancee', how much would the reporters want to know about that?

   Nana felt the odd tension between them and decided to introduce them to each other, leaving the whole ex thing behind, hoping Woomin - the boyfriend - would not cause a stir. Nana did tell him about the engagement, but she assumed he did not know with who.

   "Ah," nodded Woomin, and continued, his smirk staying on his face, "So, how long have you guys met? We've been together for about 4 years,"

   Nana widened her eyes surprised at Woomin's random blunt remark, "Chanshik-ssi, we better go now," she exclaimed as she saw Gongchan's confused, and hurt face. She pushed Woomin towards the motorcycle and urged him to go. And off they went, leaving Gongchan with millions of thoughts in his mind.

   But one thought stood out: I guess I was the only one who did not know. Gongchan continued his jog, but not taking his usual route, instead, he jogged back home. 

 

 


   

   Nana knew he was back, she saw it on the news, but she did not think she would see him at a place like that. The guilt came back. Chanshik was a great guy, she thought, but I love Woomin. She sighed and lied down.

   She remembered the memories they shared, the reason she met him in the first place.

   She knew she did not do much for her father. Not persuing business and having an unstable career were just a few points which makes it obvious, so she thought that meeting with the person her father set up for her once would maybe make her father a bit happy. But once became twice, and more and more. She could not deny she had fun with him, but,  his uptight business self-- basically; 'Mr Perfect' was not her type. She already had Woomin, a free guy who could go anywhere, do anything, Chanshik, well he was a person who abide the rules, and she was one who have always tried her best to break them.

   Living with her father's money did not seem right in her mind, her mindset was: if she could get her own money she could use it for anything she wants. She had her own way of living life, her own view of life and she never stopped holding on to her principles. Despite being rich, working part time was not rare for her, despite being rich she knew how to make a living. But as for Chanshik, she thought, she had her doubts.

   She knew they were from different worlds, and they would just never work.

   She shook her head, pushing the thoughts of him away. Her phone suddenly rung. Without bothering to check who was calling, she took the call expecting it to be Woomin.

   "Oppa?" she started.

   "Nana-ssi?" She gasped hearing the familiar voice. 

   "Chanshik-ssi!" she blurted surprised.