Zero

Just Curious

  Despite his beautiful flawless face, he has been single all his life.

   Ever since he was brought to life, he has been raised to be polite and forever abide the rules. As the only son to one of the richest man in Korea, Mr Gong, and a horribly overprotective mother, he was perfect in almost every aspect.

   Having a high degree in business and politics, and in addition being a born charmer, making everyone - including other CEOs of his father's standard - fall for him, the fact that he has been born single seems absurd. Everyday he would get random confessions from women he has never even seen before, and everyday he gets out of the situation by letting out a heart-stopping smile and afterwards walking away earning the name; 'quiet knight'.

   His life has always been about work, love seemed like a fantasy that was not worth his time. Love did not seem real to him, as love is not something that would be benificial in life, or so he thought. Ironically, his main goal in life is to make his father proud of him, to love him. Hence he worked hard to become a worthy son to his parents. Just after he graduated, he worked at his father's company from the bottom, gearing up for his future position as CEO. 

   One day, when he arrived home after work, he saw his mother at the front door looking slightly anxious. Confused, he went out of his car and approached her, giving her a peck on the cheek as he asked, "What's wrong omma?" 

   He locked hands with her as they entered the house sitting in the living room.

    To his surprise, Mr Im, one of his father's partners, wanted to set him up on a date with his daughter. His mother knew he was not interested in this, but as a mother she wanted a daughter-in-law soon, her son surely would not be coming home with a girl anytime soon.  Additionally, since Mr Im was also a family friend, it seemed like a great deal. 

   "I'm not forcing you to get married right away, just meet with her and talk. Your father and I already discussed this, and as a soon-to-be CEO you need a supporter by your side," his mother exclaimed her son's hand in hers. 

   Unable to turn down his mothers plea, the date was on. 

     Saturday came, and the date was situated in a fancy restaurant, somewhat extraordinary although not foreign to the pair considering their wealthy background. Gongchan wore his typical formal suit and sat waiting for his date to come. The only thing in his mind was work.

   As he looked around, came in a beautiful girl coming in through the door. She had long blonde hair, and wore a beautiful dress which made her look elegant yet modest at the same time. She approached him, a waiter leading her to his table.The waiter bowed and left. 

   The girl smiled, a smile that seemed familiar to him for some reason. He felt an odd sensation taking over his body. His ability to speak disappeared, and all he could do was stare at the beautiful girl that stood before him.

   "Chanshik-ssi?" she spoke, causing him to finally get back to reality. He immediately stood up. He offered his hand and afterwards gestured her to sit.

   "So, Im Nana is it?" he began, a smile plastered across his face. He thought he was finally composed, ready to unleash his usual charm. But then she smiled. He felt his head go in complete chaos. 

   That is when he thought, maybe there was a truth in the line 'love at first sight.' 

 


 Three years passed, and the couple were to have a wedding. 

  When the year started, his father decided that he should go to Jeju to check on their branch there. He was ecstatic, as this was the first time his father gave him this much responsibility. He has been there to check before, but usually as an assistant, this responsibility made him believe that his father was actually proud of him. He took off on January, Nana came and saw him off.

    Three days in Jeju, no word from Nana. He shrugged it off since he was busy, and pushed away the temptation to call her. He wanted everything to go flawlessly with no complications. He knew she would understand.

   When he arrived after a month in Jeju, she was not there to welcome him. Slightly upset, he went home wondering what was wrong. He only saw his driver and his mother waiting for him. He lit up and proceeded to embrace his mother. Pushing the thought of her away, he diverted all the attention to his mother, and as usual his mother kept on talking non-stop, causing him to grin. 

   With the new trust from his father, he was also given a promotion causing his already busy self to get more busier. After a nights sleep he decided to get ready to meet Nana as he knew he would be much more busy as time goes by. He could not wait to tell her the news.

   Just the before he went the next day, he called her. But there was no answer. He called her again. And again. But there was no answer.

   Worried, he hurriedly went downstairs, heading towards his car when he heard his mother call for him. He turned to face his mother, she had an odd expression on, it looked somewhat sympathetic but he could not figure out why she would ever be feeling so. Knowing his mother comes first in any circumstances, he approached his mother apologizing to her. He knew his mother prefered to be greeted in the morning.

   His mother asked him to go with her to meet her friends, they were having a reunion and she did not want to come without accompaniment. Not wanting to let his mother down, he went. But all that was in his mind was Nana.

   The next day went straight away to work, he found out that Nana had an outing with her friends, so there was no reason to delay his first day on his new position. On the way to work, he kept reading the text Nana sent, telling him of her outing. Something about it seemed wrong. It did not seem like how Nana would send her texts. It seemed too hollow. But even so, he did not want his intuition to bring about any problems, so he decided to just believe it.

   Weeks passed, and they were to have their engagement. Prior to the engagement, the Gong family went to the Im residence to have a short meeting. Mr and Mrs Gong sat across Mr Im and Gongchan. Mr Im told them Nana was busy getting ready and proceeded to talk about business. Gongchan felt an odd feeling engulfing him, especially since he has not seen Nana ever since he went to Jeju.

   They have been texting to each other, but everytime Gongchan called, she did not answer. Being busy, he shrugged it off. In addition, he knew Nana was not the type who liked to be pushed around. The memory of her complaints of her boss at work caused him to smile. Making him miss her even more.

   About two hours passed, Nana still did not appear. Unable to wait any longer, Gongchan volunteered to check on her. Mr Im led him to her room to find it empty. Immediately Mr Im called her. No answer. 

   After trying to contact her in every possible way, evening came and Mr Im told them to head home and promised he would tell them of any updates. The family left, although very reluctantly.

   They left and Gongchan could not stop thinking of her. He was worried sick, but decided to tone his feelings down, not wanting his parents to worry about him. He still continued trying to contact her until finally his batteries died. With a huge sigh, he went to bed.

   The next day, his mother told him Mr Im called, telling them that Nana came home that night. His mother looked quite upset, but with all the worries he felt, Gongchan for once did not detect his mother's feelings. Relief flooded him and he hurriedly tried to head to Nana's house. His mother tried to stop him. But it was no use.

   Gongchan arrived, a motorcycle was parked in front of the Im family's house, a man of his age sat on it. He seemed like he was waiting for someone. Confused, Gongchan went out of his car and saw Nana run pass him. She wore a dark blue jacket over a black t-shirt and wore skinny jeans on, a look he has never seen on her.  Gongchan was frozen to the spot. 

    Nana gave the man a kiss and afterwards saw Gongchan. Nana diverted her gaze away and acted like she did not see him. 

   Soon reporters swarmed him, the news of the 'quiet knight's' broken engagement seemed sensational to them.