After Midnight (part 1)

After Midnight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

South Korea, Summer 2006.

 

 

It was evening when darkness surrounded a sumptuous house that stood on top of a small hill in a rural small town on a mountain. The house was so huge and towering, there's no doubt that the house was the greatest house in this rural small town. But there was something eerie about the house, so luxurious yet so silent and dark.

 

"Something about that place gives me the creeps. You sure a family live there?" A man pointed towards the house before he lit his cigarette.

 

"Yes, there are only three people inside that huge house. Just a married couple and their daughter who's still in high school. My daughter is a friend of their daughter and the father is having some kind of disease that does not allowed him to be exposed to sunlight. Nobody has ever seen his face." The other man said as he gazed at the dark house.

 

"You're crazy, you sure you want to do this to the family of your daughter's friend?" The man with a cigarette shook his head.

 

"I have no choice. I need money and people who live there hide all the money that we need." 

 

"Okay,...lets get started."

 

 

Seohyun was strolling around her house as she held a copy of the book that her teacher gave her earlier at school, trying to memorize every line of the poem from the book.

 

"I'm tired." She complained with a pout and stood against the window, letting her mind wandering around. Her face suddenly lit up as the face of a boy appeared inside her mind, colouring her pretty face with a bright smile.

 

"When will you comeback? I have been waiting for you." She whispered.

But then a rustling from outside her house snapped her out of her thoughts and she quickly turned to the window, peering out into the woods. She saw nothing, only trees.

 

"Weird." She mumbled, turning her back again.

She glanced at her watch and her eyes widened. It was already midnight.

Just then,

 

"Aahhhh!" A loud scream erupted from upstairs. It was her mother's.

 

"Mom..." She quietly said, dropping her book on the floor and raced upstairs. Afraid that something bad might happen to her mother. She ran as fast as she could through the long hallway of her house, then...

Another scream exploded from her parents room. Enough to make her flesh creep and in an instant, she was overwhelmed with fear.

 

"Mom!" She shouted as she reached the doorway and what she witnessed next just beyond her nightmare. Her mother was lying breathlessly on the floor and fresh blood oozing from her stomach. Her eyes then went to two middle aged men in the middle of the room. One of them held a knife and the other one was busy taking out the cash from the safe.

They snapped their attention to the girl who was standing in the doorway with fear written all over her face. Slowly she backed away and ran into the hallway hysterically with a scream.

 

"Get her!" The one who was taking out the money from the safe yelled at his partner and without another word the man ran outside the room, chasing the daughter of the woman who he had killed earlier.

 

"Dad! Dad!" Seohyun frantically screamed as she ran through the house, her face bathed in tears and her upper shirt was soaking wet with the cold sweat.

 

"Dad!" She screamed again and her heart pounded so hard as she noticed the killer chasing her from behind.

 

"Just stop there! I'm not gonna hurt you. You just need to shut up!" The man said in stern voice but that did not stop Seohyun to let out another scream. 

 

"Dad..." Her voice weakened as she reached her father's office.

In haste, she pushed the door open and slammed it shut before she locked the door from the inside. The sound of the killer outside the door could be heard with the loud banging. The killer was ramming his shoulder against the solid door.

Seohyun backed away from the door and ran to the other door inside the large office room.

 

"Dad!" She tried to find her father but he was nowhere to be found. There was nobody inside the room except her.

 

The killer was still trying to break down the door. Ramming his shoulder against the door and kicking the door with all his might.

And eventually,

The door came crashing down and the killer kicked off its hinges in victory.

Seohyun snapped her head in the direction of the crashing sound and fear once again rushing through her body. Terrified, she hid herself under her father's desk. 

The thud of the killer footsteps could be heard reaching to where she was hiding and Seohyun closed her eyes as she hugged her legs tightly, completely in fear.

Thud...thud...thud...thud...thud...

And it stopped. Right in front of her.

She looked up from under the desk and her body trembled as a hand reached out for her. The killer's filthy hand.

 

"Hey, sweetie, I'm not gonna hurt you." The man said in a sweet but creepy voice. Seohyun sat still, tears streaming down her cheeks.

Just then,

A ferocious shriek suddenly came from behind the killer and in a swift, the killer got on his knees as something hard hit on his back. He hit the ground hard and screamed in agony as the thing on his back started to bit his neck then ripped into his flesh with its claws. 

 

"Aaahh!!!" His screaming grew weak and slowly faded.

Seohyun panickly emerged from under the desk and the thing that happened in front of her almost made her heart stopped beating.

It was her father. Her father who was the one gruesomely attacked the killer until he died. But he didn't look like her father. His face was smeared with blood, pieces of flesh in his teeth and his eyes turned to the crimson red.

 

"No... don't come any closer!" Seohyun shouted in fright as she stepped back but the monster in a form of her father kept walking closer to her.

 

"No... no... NOOOO!!!"

Her screaming broke the silence of the night and a moment later eventually it faded, engulfing the sumptuous house in the eerie silence once again.

Before she closed her eyes, she glanced at the clock that was stood in front of her, it was after midnight. 

 

 

 

 

Two months later,

 

 

"I really hope this will be your last time. I'm tired of seeing you going in and out this room." The school discipline said to Luhan as they exited the detention room.

Luhan just shrugged his shoulders and put both his hands on his pockets as he started to walk out the school area. He just moved in with his family since last month and yet he got the highest record of going inside the detention room. Such a troubled boy.

Well, that's because he never wanted to transfer to a school in a village on a mountain. Actually he was born and grew up in this village until he turned ten then his family moved to Seoul but surprisingly he didn't have any childhood memory about this place. He just hated this place.

This village was boring. The people were boring and all he could see were the forest everywhere. Such a great place for old people to spend their precious time before they die, but not for him. He was young and free, he wanted to spend his teenage years in the city of Seoul where he could have a lot of fun, not in places like this. At least that was what he thought.

Luhan shifted his head to his left when he heard his math teacher, Mr. Cho, and a librarian talking about something that made his hairs at the back of his neck stood up.

 

"Another dead body? I can't believe this. Almost twenty people died in the forest within two months and we haven't figured it out what creature could do something like this. They all died tragically."

 

"And all happened during the nighttime."

 

Luhan gulped and continued to make his way towards the parking lot where he parked his motorcycle. He was terrified. It was already nighttime and what he heard just now freaked him out. He had heard bad things about the forest before and now he was going to go to his home through the forest. It was the only route to his home.

He had gone to the detention room for so many times but it was the very first time he left the school at night.

 

"I shouldn't have come to this hell." He muttered as he climbed on his motorcycle.

As he rode his motorcycle through the dark forest under the full moon, the worst thing happened to him. His motorcycle went slower and slower until it eventually stopped. He was running out of gas.

 

"Oh, come on! This can't be happening." Luhan got off his motorcycle and kicked it hard as he started to cuss. Now he didn't have a choice but to walk through the darkness of the forest.

He could feel the hairs at the back of his neck stood up again as he started to step forward. The forest had a very eerie atmosphere and he swore he felt like he was walking to his death.

It was silent.

He was surrounded by deadly silence as he walked through the forest and all he could hear was the sound of his footsteps on the forest floor and the sound of his breath. Until...

A crack of twig was heard from behind him.

He twirled around but he saw nothing. Only the darkness of the forest.

'Was I imagining?' He thought then he immediately turned around again and chastised himself for being so paranoid. He continued to step forward, wrapping his arms around his body as the sudden wind chill greeted him. It was such a cold summer night and the only thing that wrapped his body was just his thin school uniform, really not expecting to be strolling around the forest at night.

But then, another cracked of twig. He decided to ignore it and kept his eyes on whatever in front of him.

Yet another cracked of twig. He gulped in fear.

Another cracked. Panic rose in his throat.

Another cracked. Fear rushing through his body.

Another cracked. His legs spontaneously moved faster. He was running. And he ran even faster through the forest as he heard another footsteps pounding against the forest floor behind him. Someone was running after him and he did not dare to look behind him. He just kept running speedily as cold sweat ran down his face.

And then without a warning, someone tackled him to the ground from behind and held him solidly against it, causing him to screech in pain. 

 

"Get off of.. me!"  Luhan shouted loudly.

The attacker was sitting on his back, holding him tightly and taking a butcher's knife, ready to murder him. Luhan somehow managed to release himself from his attacker and squirmed away. He soon brought himself to his hands and knees but much to his fear the attacker leaped on him again and punched him hard repeatedly until he lose his strength. The attacker turned his body so they could face each other and bashed his head against the forest floor, making his vision suddenly fuzzy. The only thing Luhan noticed about the attacker before he passed out was the long hair that seemed falling to many places. It was a girl. The attacker was no other than a girl with long hair.

The girl held the butcher's knife and was about to stab him but as she recognized the face of the victim who was lying beneath her, her face turned pale and her eyes widened in horror. She shook her head as she cried.

 

"No.. no..." The girl said between her tears and dropped her knife.

 

"Luhan..." She whispered, touching his face gently.

 

 

 

 

Luhan opened his eyes and the first thing he saw was the white ceiling of his room. His vision was still fuzzy and suddenly he felt a terrible headache.

 

"Luhan, hey...are you okay?" The face of his cousin, Sehun, suddenly appeared and Luhan slowly sat up on his bed.

 

"What happened?" Luhan asked, holding his head.

 

"We found you inside the forest this morning. We were so worried that you didn't come home. What happened to you?"

 

Not long after, a policeman came and started to ask him a bunch of questions regarding of what happened to him the night before, perhaps it was related to the murders of several people that happened in the last two months.

Luhan explained everything that happened to him the night before to the policeman and he found it hard to believe that the attacker was just only a girl. The policeman decided to not asking him any further question. He was thinking that the teenage boy was just being attacked by some crazy girl.

 

 

 

Two days later Luhan found himself standing in the middle of the forest at night, looking at the area that blocked off by a yellow police line tape. Another dead body was found. It was a boy, a teenage boy from his class. He was walking home from school but he never reached home and the next day he was found dead in a terrible condition.

Luhan wondered why didn't the attacker kill him that night. That was very strange and the fact that the assailant was actually a girl was just unbelievable.

The night was less eerie than the previous night when he almost got killed by a crazy girl. He looked up at the sky that filled with bright stars and slowly he stepped away from the crime scene, wandering around the forest like nothing ever happened to him two nights ago. He continued to stroll around until he realized that he was deep inside the forest and he never been to this side of the forest before. He decided to get back to his motorcycle that he parked near the crime scene but as he was about to turn around, something captivating caught his eyes and the thought of getting back to his motorcycle was instanly gone.

It was a lake, a shimmering lake under the bright night sky.

Luhan jogged towards the lake but something, more like someone stole his attention again. He noticed a girl with long hair, sitting on the edge of the lake, peering into the water like there was something interesting inside the wate

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter