Breathe

Short Stories

I see your face in my mind as I drive away,
Cause none of us thought it was gonna end that way.
People are people, and sometimes we change our minds.
But it's killing me to see you go after all this time.

Mmm mmm mmm
Mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm
Mmm mmm mmm
Mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm

Music starts playin' like the end of a sad movie,
It's the kinda ending you don't really wanna see.
Cause it's tragedy and it'll only bring you down,
Now I don't know what to be without you around.

And we know it's never simple, never easy.
Never a clean break, no one here to save me.
You're the only thing I know like the back of my hand,

And I can't breathe without you
But I have to.
Breathe without you
But I have to.

Never wanted this, never wanna see you hurt.
Every little bump in the road I tried to swerve.
People are people, and sometimes it doesn't work out,
Nothing we say is gonna save us from the fall out.

And we know it's never simple, never easy.
Never a clean break, no one here to save me.
You're the only thing I know like the back of my hand,

And I can't breathe without you
But I have to.
Breathe without you
But I have to.

It's two A.M.
Feelin' like I just lost a friend.
Hope you know it's not easy, easy for me.
It's two A.M.
Feelin' like I just lost a friend.
Hope you know this ain't easy, easy for me.

And we know it's never simple, never easy.
Never a clean break, no one here to save me.

Ohhh

And I can't breathe without you
But I have to.
Breathe without you
But I have to.
Breathe without you
But I have to.

I'm sorry (oh)
I'm sorry (mmm)
I'm sorry (eh eh)
I'm sorry (mmm)
I'm sorry (eh eh)
I'm sorry (mmm)
I'm sorry

 

Yoona was in her office; she was reading through the reports one at a time. It has been 10 years since she took over her father’s business. He has since retired and has been travelling around the world. Her mother has passed away a long time ago and so Yoona lives on her own.

“Omma!”

She looked up to find her godson, Jackson was running in from her front office. She smiled widely as she stood up and waited for the little one to come in. The boy ran straight for her and she quickly lifted him up. He smiled so widely.

“Omma! Daddy said we can have dinner together tonight!”

“Oh? Daddy’s not working?”

Jackson shook his head vigorously. Yoona smiled. She kissed the boy’s forehead before putting him down onto the floor. Just then, a man stood at her door. He hugged her and kissed her cheeks.

“Did Jackson disturb you?”

“No, I was just reading through some reports. I needed a break anyway.”

“I’ll pick you up later?”

“Nah, it’s okay. I’ll make my way there. Where will it be?”

“The diner we used to hang out together.”

Yoona’s smile went still. It was the same diner she used to go with her ex girlfriend.

“I’m sorry. I know you hate that place.”

“No, I don’t hate the place. It just gives me memories of her.”

“I have already persuaded Jackson to go to another place but he insisted to go there.”

“It’s okay. Jackson loves the beef ribs. Is Jessica unnie coming along?”

“Yes, she would come later after her meeting.”

“Does Jackson know she’s coming?”

“Not yet. I want to surprise him. He still thinks his Mommy is in US.”

“Daniel Oppa, I’m so envious of you. You have a perfect family with Jessica unnie. Jackson is the cutest boy I’ve ever met.”

Daniel laughed. Jackson was playing with Yoona’s secretary. He’s really the ladies’ man. They really adore him. Yoona adores him as well.

Jackson Henney is the son of Yoona’s god sister, Jessica and her husband, Daniel Henney.  He came as a surprise to the couple but he has been Yoona’s greatest joy. Jessica urged her to be his god mother which Yoona was grateful that she did. The boy became her strength and her happiness since her ex girlfriend left her.

Now Jackson is almost 10 and he has been Yoona’s little precious. Jessica’s a super model so she had to travel to overseas very often. Daniel has to travel as well since he’s the CEO of a MNC. So Jackson lives with Yoona each time his parents are away.  

Yoona lives with her best friends, Yuri and Sunny.  They adore the little guy too so they help out sometimes. Jackson is the joy of the three best friends sometimes.

“I’ll see you later.”

Daniel took Jackson with him and Yoona smiled when Jackson tried to rebel but his father was too quick for him. He wanted to stay with Yoona but Daniel wouldn’t allow.

-

That night, Yoona made her way to the same diner that she used to eat with her ex-girlfriend. The place changed; the people and everything but her memories were still there. She could never forget them; not matter how hard she tried.

10 years were a long time but yet, time refused to heal the wounds in her heart. Her damn stupid heart still wanted her ex girlfriend back.

“Omma!”

She heard her name. And Jackson was running towards her. But his father beat him to it. Jackson protested.

“DADDY!”

“You’re a little step too late.”

“You blocked my way!”

“Still, I won.”

Jackson pouted his lips and folded his arms. He was pissed at his father but Yoona was quick to appease him.

“Aw, my little prince is pouting.”

“Daddy’s mean!”

“What’s wrong? Daddy was just playing with you.”

Jackson was close to tears. He hates to lose. Yoona could see the resemblance between the boy and his father. Yoona ruffled his hair.

“I’m here. Daddy’s not going to take you away from me. You’re my favourite person in this world.”

Jackson’s sad face turned into a smiling one. He was grinning away.

“You love me more than you love Daddy, right?”

“That’s right.”

“And Mommy loves me more than Daddy, right?”

“Well, you have to ask Mommy.”

Jackson then pouted again.

“But Mommy’s not here. I miss her.”

Yoona chuckled softly.  Jackson’s really a sweet boy. Daniel was already winking at Yoona. She understood him.

“Let’s sit down first okay? Maybe later we can call Mommy?”

Jackson’s face lighted up again.

“REALLY?!”

Yoona nodded.

-

Jackson was screaming at the top of his voice when Jessica suddenly appeared in front of him. The boy hasn’t seen him for the last two months. He really misses her.

“MOMMY!”

He cried openly and Jessica’s heart ached so badly. She felt sorry for leaving her son too often at home. She decided to retire from the modelling world.

“Aww, that’s so sweet.”

Yoona was touched when Jackson took half of his rib and gave it to his Mommy. He asked if she has eaten and Jessica shook her head. He then cut his beef ribs into two and gave to his mother.

“It’s okay, baby. You should eat more.”

“It’s alright. You must be hungry. Jackson can eat lesser.”

Yoona smiled when she saw how happy Jessica was with her family. She has a understanding husband and a thoughtful son. Her mind suddenly thought of Tiffany. How would it be like to have a family with her?

“Yoona, are you alright?”

Jessica noticed Yoona was quiet.

“Yeah, I was just thinking of something.”

“Thinking of Tiffany?”

Yoona just shook her head and took a bite of her pasta.

“It has been 10 years, Yoona. You cannot forget about her?”

“It’s not easy. It has never been easy. I’ve been dreaming of her lately. She keeps coming back to me in my dreams.”

“So you think she would come back?”

“I don’t know. I don’t wish to pin my hopes on it again. Maybe she will or maybe she will never return but regardless what it’s the outcome, I just cannot put her away.”

“You’re such a silly lover. But I know you’ll be happy one day.”

Yoona nodded and smiled.

She wasn’t putting any hopes of getting Tiffany back. If their fate is destined to be together, she would return to her.

-

Yoona drove home after that dinner with the Henneys. Jackson was clingy to his mother. It has always been like that. No matter what, the bond between a mother and a child would never fade away.

She was silent in her thoughts although her eyes kept focus on the road. She reminisced about those times she had with Tiffany. She used to drive with just one hand because Tiffany would conquer the other hand of hers.

They used to make out a lot in her car. She has since sold the old car because there were too many traces of Tiffany but she could never forget when she had her first time in with Tiffany. It was so hot though the car was cramp but Tiffany’s husky moans were still vivid on her mind.

She could never fathom why Tiffany decided to take off after two years of being together. She thought she had made mistakes but Tiffany kept saying it wasn’t Yoona’s fault. It was solely hers.  So Yoona wondered why she was punished for Tiffany’s mistakes.

She tried to hate Tiffany. She tried to forget. She desperately wished she could erase Tiffany and her traces behind her but it was never going to happen. Her heart refuses to heal and time was denying her chance to get over Tiffany once and for all.

So Yoona decided to just let it be. There was no point trying to force herself because it was only going to hurt her further.  She finally reached her destination and parked at the side of her house. The house was in pitch dark and she knew her best friends weren’t at home.

She locked her car and walked towards her apartment. She put her hands in her coat and made her way up to her house. It was really cold that night and Yoona wondered why. She took the lift and pressed level 7. She leaned against the inside of the lift as it took her up swiftly to her level. She got out and took a left turn.

She never expected anyone but there was someone waiting outside her home. Yoona frowned and wondered. She couldn’t see the person’s face clearly. But the moment she got nearer and the second the person turned to face her, Yoona stood paralyzed to the ground.

It was never in her dreams that she could meet this person again. But her dreams were giving hints that she would, right? She stood there; like a fool with wide open.

There were signs of grievances on the other person’s face. She was crying. Her eyes were swollen. How long has she been crying?

“Yoona..”

The person spoke softly. But Yoona remained silent.

“Yoona..”

The husky voice was full of emotions. Yoona could feel so much from just that.

“I’m back, Yoona.”

Yoona remained unfazed. But the person was not willing to give up. She went up to Yoona; took her hands gently and caressed softly.  Then, Yoona took the courage to call out the person’s name.

“Tiffany..”

She whispered breathlessly.

-