Ditched

TROOP 1004



The bus shook, hollowly creaking as it drove down the dirt road. Our main character, Po, was the only one in the bus, besides the bus driver and a boy who looked like he'd seen way too much sun.

He was regretting his decision to sit near the back of the bus, for the back wheel was right under him, sending vibrations through his feet that he didn’t want there. He was already jumpy, and the bouncing of the bus didn’t help. He twiddled with his thumbs, thinking about what was to come.

 

Po wasn’t a bad boy, but he wasn’t really a saint either.

He was just there most of the time. Some would say he’s a loner, but he just called himself “independent”. With his dad being in the military, him and his family had to “mobilize” a lot, as his dad called it. This was why he didn’t talk unless spoken to, sat alone at lunch, and didn’t really trust anyone. Most of the friends he did make would just disappear after a month. They would always promise they would visit, but they never did. 

He wouldn’t have even been on this filthy, run down bus if it wasn’t for… “that” incident. After being suspended from his middle school for it, his dad insisted he enlist in Military School for High School. Po didn’t have much choice. It was either Military School or a sleeping bag on the driveway outside their house.

 

Po kicked the seat in front of him, pouting a little as he glared at it with his dark green eyes, taking his anger out on the innocent bus seat. “Stupid school. Stupid dad. Stupid bus.” he repeated in a whisper, still pouting. His mom didn’t even fend for him. She even looked happy that he was going to Military School, saying that it would be a good experience for him. Po had looked it up beforehand and discovered on the website that their slogan was “We strive to be Best Absolute Perfect”. "What did that even mean? They couldn't even get the grammar right..." he thought to himself. It also said in small letters right below it “Warrior Camp; Breaking Boys since 1968”. What a splendid thing to hear.

 

His train of negative thoughts were interrupted when the bus came to a harsh stop. His head flung into the seat in front of him as he squeeked from fright. He pulled back from the collision as he whispered "Owwch...", rubbing his strucken head. He looked up with his hand still on his fluffy hair, wondering why they came to a sudden stop. He saw the bus driver getting up from his seat. The man stepped into the hall of the bus.

"Hey, boy. Time to get off the bus." said the man, his voice rough. Po could smell the many years of smoke coming from the man's mouth.

He looked outside the window, expecting something resembling a school, but saw nothing but trees and dirt.

"You hear me boy? Get off now!" the man yelled, getting impatient. The shout pulled Po's head back towards him.

He looked up at him with wide eyes.

"Here?" he asked, confused as to why they stopped in the first place.
"Yeah, here! This is where you get off. You need to walk the rest of the way."

His mouth seemed to form a small o as he stared up at the man. He searched for any sign of humor on the man's face, but saw none. Slowly getting up, he grabbed his suitcase and threw his backpack over his shoulder, shuffling past the large man. He looked at the sun burnt boy to his left as he walked towards the bus doors. The boy surprised Po by smirking at him. He laughed as he moved his finger across his throat, mocking Po.

Po gulped as he turned back towards his path. He carefully stepped down off the bus into a field of freshly cut grass. The bus doors closed with a weery clack, and Po looked back at the bus, losing all sense of comfort as it drove away. He reluctantly turned towards the field of grass, taking in his surroundings. He saw a small sign in the distance.

He made his way through the grass toward it, still carrying what seemed like 40 pounds to him of luggage. It was farther away than he thought. Finally making it there, he saw the rackety old sign's familiar message, "Warrior Camp; Breaking boys since 1968."
He looked to where it was pointing to, only to find a dirt path leading into the forest.

"I guess I'm heading the right way..." he thought to himself as he walked past the old sign into the forest.

The pathway was covered in leaves as he made his way up, the only evidence of a path being the rope fence surrounding it.

Po grabbed onto the rope as he made his way up the steep mountain, climbing as his suitcase rolled behind him.

He wiped his brow at the top of the hill, sweating a little. He could see the camp in front of him. He smiled a toothy smile at the wonderful sight of human civilization. As he exited the forest, he suddenly heard a booming thump beside him, and felt something hit his arm. He leaped backwards, away from the falling object as the smile was wiped off his face, replaced with a look of fear.

The "object" that fell wasn't an object at all though. It was a person. A boy, to be exact.

Po stared down at him, a silent "what" forming on his lips.

The boy was sprawled out on the ground, and from his horizontal position, his leg must've been what hit Po. Po immediately dropped all his stuff and ran over to the boy, leaning over his head.

"Hey are you ok!?" he asked him as he shook the boy's shoulders. Then, suddenly, a shout came from above them both.

"Yah!! Stop acting all hurt and get up!" a boy's voice said. The voice seemed to come from the trees. Po looked up to see another boy, dangling his legs from tree branch above them.
Po removed his hands from the fallen boy's shoulders as he bounced back to life, getting up off the grass and wiping his knees. The boy didn't seem to notice Po until he lifted his head.

"Oh!" he exclaimed.

The boy smiled brightly, his brown hair moving to one side as he tilted his head. He grabbed Po's hand and put it in his own, forcing the two to shake hands. Po's shocked expression didn't seem to faze him as he insisted on introducing himself.

"Hi, I'm Daehyun!"