Nyctophobia

Halloween 2014
Nyctophobia
Aiba rushed into his room as soon as he turned off the lights and darkness took over. He couldn’t stand the darkness; he needed light and without it…
 
People called him crazy, paranoid even, for fearing the darkness. But no one understood him, not even his own family. It didn’t matter what everyone else was thinking, they didn’t know the fear: chills ran over his spine as he stared into the empty darkness before him, his hands were trembling uncontrollably as he held onto the door frame, and he was drowning in his own sweat.
 
No, he wasn’t in his right mind. Light was with him right now, and the darkness was of no more. Sighing in relief, he closed the door shut to keep the darkness from dominating him. The light was his sanctuary and his savior, his only guide in the darkness.
 
Once he was buried underneath his comforters, he laid still hoping that sleep will come. However it was difficult since he was too afraid to close his eyes. The darkness, even if the light was on, was there when he closed his eyes. His doctor had prescribed sleeping pills, but he refused to take them because he didn’t want the darkness to overcome him.
 
And he wished he should have instead when suddenly, all the lights had turned off. He panicked. He never knew what to do on blackouts and he hated it the most. If only his mom, or someone, was with him with light, it would be better. But there was no one to hold on to, no one to tell him that the light was in his heart.
 
He was too afraid to get up to search for a flashlight. He should have one besides his bed, but he keeps forgetting to put one there.
 
Then he heard it. A soft whispering laugh.
 
And everyone thought he was crazy.
 
His hands trembled as he brought his blankets up to his nose. He didn’t want it.
 
They whispered and it was all over. Aiba couldn’t tell where it was since he couldn’t see anything, but he knew they were there. He could hear them clear as day. However, when he blinked his eyes once more, he saw a face above him. Smiling evilly. ‘We got you now.’
 
END