The Target

The Target

 The Target 

Lee Soojin is a 21 years old secret agent who works for a secret organization in Seoul, National Security Intelligent (NSI). She is the youngest agent that the organization ever had. Soojin previously have passed several selection tests to become a secret agent. Beautiful face, cold attitude, a perfectionist, plus brilliant brain and her martial arts skill was the ultimate criteria she had to be recruited.

Soojin never thought her life will be filled with dangerous missions and being in an all-confidential environment. She did this for a living with her sister Lee Soomin who’s still attending school. Their parents were killed by her father’s business rival when her and Soomin was still a kid and then they were deposited to an orphanage by one of the relatives of their parents so that they got a safe place from another threats. They were even given rehabilitation to recover their trauma about what happened with their parents.

And when she was 16, Soojin bring her sister out of the orphanage when she started recruited into NSI and start a new life by living in an apartment which she got as a facility provided by the organization. She was way too mature for her age at that time. And it was because of many things that happens and she required to be more mature to deal with life.

Her sister Soomin, only knew her elder sister worked as an assistant chef at a restaurant. If Soojin didn’t return home because of some mission she must be done, her friend Jung Miyoung were take the responsible to keeping and take care of Soomin. Miyoung is a fellow agent who was once the youngest agent before Soojin entered. In other word, she is Soojin’s mentor. She often helps Soojin in any case because Miyoung and Soojin working in the same sector, the Dead Crime, seeking deadly criminals and arrested them.

This time Soojin got a mission to capture a maker of arsenic poison which lately  become public concern in Seoul. These poison were lethal, if ingested or swallowed by people who are poisoned, then that person’s death can be calculated within 1 minute since the entry of the poison into the body and spread rapidly into the bloodstream. He also made ecstasy pills and a producer of the most widely sought after by the world’s ecstasy dealers.

Police were never able to find where the location of the factory where the prohibited goods produced. And recently NSI find the main actor who has always concealed his identity. Because this mission is very important and there is only an intelligent agent that can break it, then Soojin sent to complete the mission.

Soojin already has a lot of track record of achievement over many missions she have been completed. Although some of the missions almost made she lost her life, however she always managed to survive by her own way. The results of 5 years training and experience made ​​her more proficient in carrying out any mission given to her. She prefers to work alone since she lost her trusted partner in the two previous missions and did not managed in time to save his life. She felt very guilty at that time and take temporary leave for a few months before she returned to her duty.

The target is Wu Yi Fan or better known by the name Kris Wu, a young 22 years old descent of Chinese-Canadian who owned the arsenic and ecstasy factory as well as the maker. He was a student at Korean National University, a prestigious university that has the quality to create graduates to be successful with amazing achievement, although the tuition can be categorized expensive. And no problem for Kris to get into the university because his families who are already wealthy and well assisted by his uncle who worked as a lecturer.

Soojin posing as a transferred student at the university and get into the same faculty as Kris, Science and Drug Research. Everything is already set up so that Soojin could always get into the same class with Kris in order to make it easier to keep an eye on her target.

 

◈◈◈

 

“So, he’s 22 years old. Living alone in Apgujeong. Monthly income from the sales of that prohibited stuffs — Whoa, I could have bought an island with the nominal money he has. But — why is he still continuing his studies here? He could expand his business territory overseas. Hmm… there must be a major reason why he is still continuing his education. Attractive personality...? With a good looking face like this nobody would have thought that he had killed a lot of people with the stuff that he has made...” Soojin muttered while knock softly on Kris photos in a profile sent by Miyoung to her tab. It’s been a week she was transferred.

She then proceeded to scroll down and found a warning note below the file that she knew definitely written by her mentor Jung MiYoung:

Do not stare at him for too long. You may be drugged by his charm. Do not let this mission ends with you becoming his partner in crime. Create a strong charm and make him who became attracted with what you have. I believe you. GET HIM DOWN!!! Fighting!

 

Soojin chuckled to see the warning note. She then replied a message through a private chat to her mentor,

Don’t worry, sunbaenim. I know my strength and my abilityNo list of man who were never attracted to me. I learned a lot from you to train my charisma, so don’t ever doubt me~

 

After sending a private chat, he then noted the key points about Kris in the note that she called ‘Target’. More than half of the note was filled by important notes and some photos were attached on the pages. There are also some code she must solved to get the location to ambush her target. It’s all about her mission’s target she must be done.

Sometimes she analyze the observations at the corner of college library, because it's the only place that is rarely visited by students and it was quiet and comfortable, sometimes. Not infrequently she was interrupted by the faint sounds of moans and groans from other students who use another corner of library aisle for . At that time she is just plugged an earphone and played a song from her phone. She was always sitting on the old bench in the corner of the library, alone.

Soojin was gathering the books from the reading desk and going to return to the bookshelf when she turn around and bump into someone. Entire book she held including the tablet fell with her body.

“Oh, I’m so sorry—Are you okay?” A man with dark hair and tall stature approached her with a look of worry.

“Ugh… less okay. My shoulder hit the bench…” She groaned while rubbed her left shoulder.

“I really am sorry, I will take you to the infirmary—”

“No need. I’m the one who less careful. I’m fine.”

“Let me help you then.” The male started to reach the book and the tablet. Her eyes suddenly widen, fixed on the tablet at the end of her feet that still displaying Kris’s profile on the screen.

“Don’t!” She snapped at him.

The man look at her, “It’s okay, I—“

“Don’t touch my stuff!” She cut his words and hurriedly took the tablet and shut it off before he could see.

He was a little flinched when Soojin yelled at him hysterically. But then, he apologized. Altough inside, he was surprised because Soojin refuse his good intentions.

“Sorry, I did not mean impolite to you, I just want to help…”

“I-It’s okay, it’s okay… I was too overreact.” She took a deep breath, relieved to assumed he saw nothing on the screen. She avoid eye contact with him and busied herself to gather the books. She get up and patted her skirt. Then she walk to the bookshelf and insert the book inside. The male left confuse and tried to talk to her.

“You’re Lee Soojin right? The transferred student? I’m Park Chanyeol.” The man held out his hand but she didn’t respond anything and immediately leave the place.

 Chanyeol just speechless to see her figure away from his view. He chuckled with her behaviour earlier. Other girls would do anything to be helped by him, or take any chance to talk to him. But there is Soojin, the one who left him speechless without another word. There is no girls who didn’t listen to him before, because he was quite popular in the university.

Soojin walked quickly to avoid Chanyeol and entered the classroom even before the class begin. Few minutes later, other students entered. She was reading a book when her eyes accidentally see Kris’s figure entered the class followed by a bunch of girls tailing him.

She heard some girls were persuading him to studying together after class. But he completely ignored their requests with an apology that sounded like a sweet melody to them, “I’m sorry, I’ve got an appointment for a family gathering,” and give them a 1000 watts of his charismatic smile.

She snorted. Wow, he’s good in acting.

Soojin purposely took a seat in the back of the bench in order to keep an eye on Kris who used to sit in the second row from the back. It turns out the man who had bumped with her in the library entered the classroom as well and sat next to Soojin. At that moment, Soojin immediately wanted to move the seat, but the seat which she occupied now is was exactly behind Kris’s. So unavoidably, Soojin remain seated in that place now for the sake to be able to watch him as close as possible.

Class will begin in 10 minutes, but the time seemed ticking very slowly because Soojin know the guy next were watched her.

“Why did you leave me earlier, Soojin-sshi? I just want to help you, and introduce myself,” Chanyeol open a conversation with her.

She closed the book she was reading and looked at Chanyeol. “Well, thanks for your intention, but I don’t like stranger touch my stuff.” She said flat and coldly.

“Then introduce again, I’m Park Chanyeol. I hope I don’t become a stranger again for you.” He said with a big grin on his lips and tilted his head to look at her face closer. She was surprise by the close gap between them.

“Hi Chanyeol! I really missed you! Are you fully recovered?” A girl from nowhere suddenly interruped them and Soojin secretly thank her presence for breaking an awkward situation.

“Oh… yes I’m fine Jungeum-ah.” Chanyeol forced a smile to that girl and trying to release her hold from his arm.

“Thank god! Would you lunch with me after class? Let’s celebrate your come back from recovery!” She squealed.

“Well okay, let’s lunch together then.”

“Yeay! Thanks, gorgeous!” And she leave with seductive wink to him.

Soojin shook her head not believing that Chanyeol would go to a girl like that. Chanyeol looked at Soojin and without being asked, he explained, “It’s a way to send her away from me at this time. I won't have lunch with her, obviously. I’ve been preparing a reason if she ask later.”

“And I really don’t care.” She continue to read the book, but another voice interrupt her, but to her surprised, the voice was Kris greeting Chanyeol.

“Chanyeol? Haha! Finally, our famous boy go back to school.” Kris said with a smile. He then exchanged greetings with punching Chanyeol’s shoulder softly.

“Yeah, stuck in a hospital is not a good break for me. What about your research? Finished with a new invention?” Chanyeol looks very familiar with Kris, making Soojin more surprised.

“A little more to finish it and I will make a new history of discoveries that would make Professor Kim was stunned by what I was doing. He will regret ever saying my research was in vain.” Kris said confidently. He combed his hair back with his fingers. If Soojin not know that Kris is a criminal, most likely she will be captivated by his charisma.

“Oh, it looks like you already know Soojin, the transferred student who I told you often on the phone. She has attracted the attention of most boys in our faculty. Be careful with your popularity, Yeol.” Kris laughed and glanced at Soojin. Soojin obviously very surprised because Kris was never seen noticed her in this week, except when Soojin help him answering a case given by lecturer about Research Analogic.

“Concerned your popularity among lecturers too, Kris. The smartest disciple status can be replaced by her.” Chanyeol also looked at Soojin. She was a little disturbed by the gaze of two men who she had just knew—Kris are not included because she knew him through the profile information provided by the team at NSI. She was replying to them with a sardonic gaze then turned her attention back to the book.

“I hope you don't fall by his seducing, Soojin. Be careful, he is a big cheesy-mouthed.” Said Kris then laughed. Chanyeol softly punched his friend's shoulder. Soojin’s attention distracted back to them.

How can it be behind that angel's face is actually lies a criminal demonWhether Chanyeol knew his friend was a criminal?’

“... So, You've been friends a long time?” Soojin Asked. They nodded at the same time.

“Me and Chanyeol were friends since high school. But Chanyeol decided to move the school and I never heard any news from him again. But then in the third year of college we meet again. He became a transfer student, just like you.” Kris smiled. Chanyeol smiled back, but Soojin glance a little strange expression in Chanyeol’s face.

She wanted to investigate what the purpose of that expression, but soon the professor went into classroom to start the class. Their attention is now focused on the lecturer standing in front of the class.

“Have you been taught by this Professor before?” Chanyeol asked in whisper. Soojin shook his head slowly. Chanyeol then continued, “Just a reminder, that Professor is very stern, no matter how hard the tasks he gave, it must be completed or he will give us more difficult time. His teaching way such as sleeping pills, make a lot of students asleep. The tasks were difficult. Veeeery difficult! But I was always assisted by the genius Kris.” He whispered again, pointing Kris with his head. Soojin just nodded lazily.

‘Of course he’s a genius, he's a scientist poison maker after all. And the genius in deceiving the police every time he deliver his prohibited stuffs. Too bad his genius brain were used to do things that endanger the lives of others ...’ She tought.

Class begins. Soojin looks very seriously while occasionally observe Kris movements. Secretly she recorded Kris activities during class with a hidden camera in the form of a pen.

 

◈◈◈

 

Four weeks later, Chanyeol, Kris and Soojin became closer. Of course Soojin has another reason to befriend with Kris. And then one day, Kris took her to his house to do some projects and essays for the next exam.

“Do I have to use that reason to ask you out, Soojin?” He chuckled while driving to his house.

“Use your genius brain to find another excuse to ask me out next time, Kris.” She smiled.

“Why is it so hard to have a date with you?” He muttered.

They arrived at his house and Kris bring her to take a look around first. Soojin take that as a chance to inspect anything to get more data and information. But after look at every detail of his house, she got nothing suspicious which directs to the location of the factory.

“It’s a nice house, Kris.” She said.

“Yeah, it is. You like it? You can live here if you want.”

She startled. “I just say your house is nice, doesn’t mean I want to live here.”

“Don’t be so tensed Soojin, I’m just saying.” He laughed.

Without Soojin knowing it, in fact Kris had already falling for her since they are always in the same class. He admired her intelligence and behind her coldness façade, she was caring and mature in elegant way in his eyes. Of course he has a girlfriend before, but she died when she found out the dirty business he runs. And he hopes that Soojin was the one and for the last for him.

“Hello? Kris? You were zoning out.”

“O-oh sorry. What is it?”

“I asked you where are we going to do the homework?”

“Oh, we could do it in the living room. Come, this way.” He leads her to the place.

“Okay then.” Soojin was wondering what was he thinking just now. But she didn’t want to really care about it.

For a few hours they were doing the essays and planning for a final research project. Until it comes to dinner time. And they decided to take a break.

“I’ll cook for you. What would you want?” Kris asked, heading to the kitchen.

“You cook? You don’t have a maid?”

“I have, but they only come on weekdays from 7am to 4pm. I usually had dinner outside. Since today is weekend, they didn’t come. But doesn’t mean I can’t take care of myself, I can cook too.”

“Hmm… I’m still doubt your cooking ability Kris. Where’s the apron?” Her eyes looking around to find that item.

“What would you do?” He asked confused.

“Cook for you, of course. What else?” She didn’t want Kris cook for her. She was afraid he would poisoned her.

“Please don’t, you are my guest, let me cook for you. You help the most of my essays to—“

She cut off his words. “I thought I’m your date tonight? Let me cook for you, okay? I believe you only using instant food in your cook. No wonder you’re so thin. I will make nutritious meal for you today, okay? Just sit or maybe you can help me to chop the vegetables.”

“Okay Soojin, looks like I can’t defeat you anyway. What meals we have today from Chef Soojin?”

“Bean Paste Stew.”

After a while their meal is already served. Kris didn’t believe that Soojin were expert in cooking too. And that he noted to the list why he fell for her.

“Is it good?” She asked while scooped the soup to her bowl.

“Excellent. How did you could cook this meal so delicious?” He praised.

“I like cooking. And since I lived alone only with my sister, I’m the one who’s in charge of cooking.” Kris nodded, then continue to eat.

After the dinner, Kris insisted to clean up the dishes. While waiting Kris to be done, Soojin take a round once again to find what she looking for. She looked to every detail in the living room to find if there’s any suspicious objects. But then again, she failed. All things were too normal.

“Just like I said before, Soojin. You can live here if you want. You were admiring my house too much.” He chuckled. He comes from the kitchen with a bottle of red wine and two glasses.

“Trying to persuade me,”

They’re now continued their projects and essays while occasionally talked and discussed about the final project they would present with a glass of wine. She already make sure Kris take a sip before her to proof that he not put any poison in there.

When they finally finish their work, the time was at 9pm. Soojin think that she drink too much of wine, the drowsiness start attack her. Her sight was hazy, but she fight the urge to sleep. Who knows Kris would be doing something while she asleep.

“I think it’s a wrong choice to drink wine while doing homeworks.” She said.

“Yeah, I think so.” He agreed with a little laugh.

“Do you want to sleep here for a while? Before I drive you home?” He offered.

“No, just wait a moment until I get sober. I can’t sleep here. My sister is waiting for me.”

“Okay then, I will accompany you here.” He take a seat beside her in the sofa and turn on the tv.

Whether because she drank too much, or her mind was playing with her sight, she look at Kris’ gorgeous face and she feels something has tugged her heartstring. She tried to sober herself and shoo away any feeling attachment towards Kris. She can’t fall to Kris’s charm. Eventhough he was being nice to her since their first meeting, but she can’t denied the truth that Kris is criminals.

“Soojin?”

“Hm?”

“Are you sober yet?”

“Not fully sober, but I’m trying.”

“I want to talk something…”

“Go ahead.”

“I like you…”

“Don’t be kidding me,”

“I’m serious. I like you. Or maybe I love you. For these weeks I admire you so much. I’m an introvert, it’s hard for me to open up with new people. But with you I found something that I can’t explain what or why, but I feel comfort being with you.” He confessed.

Soojin only vaguely heard what he said because her attention is focused on the pendants that she remembers he always wear. She got closer to take a good look, then she thought of a plan. She has to put on an acts to carry out the plan, though she not sure enough it will work.

She look at his extremely handsome face and between the consciousness that was still not clear, the previous feeling appeared again. She had to admit that it’s very difficult to resist the charm of her target.

 “Kris…”

“Yes?”

“Kiss me…”

His eyes widen. He swallowed nervously. “As much as I want to, but you’re not sober yet, Soojin. And I don’t want to take advantage with your condition right now.”

“But you said you like me. Kiss me Kris. I’m sober enough to say this…”

He cupped her face and kissing her straight on the lips. She kissed him back and deepened the kiss while her hands is finding a very small object in her pocket. When she got it then she attached that object on the pendant by pretending to pull him closer. She fell softly on her back, and now Kris on top of her with his elbow supported his bodyweight. He nibbled her bottom lip gently, and she parted her lips to make him have a way to slid his tongue. She was intends to broke the kiss, but seems like her body cannot listen to her mind.

He was a good kisser. He makes Soojin’s mind go blank and her body was following his movement. Her hands unintentionally goes behind his neck and grab his hair. Their tongue tangled. His hot breath brushed against her face. She broke the kiss to catch a breath and their eyes meet to stare at each other before she pulled him for another kiss. This time her body totally ignored her mind. This time they kissed more passionately. He her bottom lip gently.

Kris was like hypnotized since his lips touch hers. He can’t be more happy to kiss the one he loved right now. And at this moment, he only want her for himself. No matter what will her say about his confession, he doesn’t want to think about that right now. He kissed her aggresively while his hands slip inside her shirt. Soojin gasped, he was rubbing her stomach and continue to kissed her neck, find her soft spot. She grasp his arms and feeling something nudge her inner thigh. Her body react instantly and feeling butterflies in her stomach. At this time she completely cannot synchronized her mind with body. She fell in lust. Or maybe that was an effect of the alcohol.

He pressed his body to hers, still kissing her neck and collarbone. She wrapped her legs around his waist. She moans, felt the tingling fees all over her body and unconsciously grinding against his growing buldge. He let out a satisfied groan. His hands now found her clothed and start gently squeeze them. She grunted and moans again, making his turn on intensified.

But suddenly, a voice interrupt their hot activity. Her eyes widen in shock and jerked upright. Kris released his hand from under her shirt and sit up to look behind and found the owner of the voice.

“C-Chanyeol…” She trailed off when looking him in fron of the door.

“Sorry— I… I think I should go—” Chanyeol said stammering.

“No! I— I mean we… uh… no…” She took a deep breath then speak again. “I should go.” She gather her stuffs hastily put them in her bag.

“Let me take you home, Soojin. It’s already late.” Kris said.

“It’s okay, I could take a taxi. And… uh… thanks Kris. S-See you later C-Chanyeol.” She walked out in a hurry leaving the two men behind.

 

◈◈◈

 

She arrived at her apartement and pressing the button code to get inside. Her head still throbbing in pain. She walk into the kitchen and pour a clear water to refresh .

“What have I done?! Oh I’m so stupid, stupid stupid! How can I fell to lust like that?! What an idiot you are, Lee Soojin! He’s your target, you musn’t fell for him!” She grab her hair in frustation.

She’s going to her bedroom and clean up. Take a hot shower to clean her troubled mind. After that, she take a sleep pill and tucked herself inside the blanket. She only wish that what happened in Kris house never appeared in her dream.

 

 

Two days later Soojin come to the NSI office early in the morning, even when the sun had not risen. She began to analyze the results of her research over the past 4 weeks. She also checked the report from her team about the transaction of arsenic and ecstasy belong to Kris. Until now, she still couldn’t find the location of the manufacturing factory eventhough she put a tracking device in his pendant the other time ago. She felt a little frustrated because her research so far has been no progress at all. In fact, you could say almost no progress. Never before had she felt so difficult to get information about the target.

While busy analyzing every video about Kris daily activity, suddenly a cup of coffee were put on her desk by someone. Soojin turn around to find people who brought it to her, then say thank you. She took a sip of coffee hoping to slightly reduce the stress that she has suffered.

“Didn’t you have a class this morning? Why are you here?” Asked MiYoung while sipping her coffee and sat on the edge of the Soojin’s work desk. Soojin took a deep breath before answering her mentor’s questions.

“I'm analyzing the results of my research, sunbaenim. I'm confused, almost frustrating because there is no development over this time. I've done a variety of ways to approach it, until finally he took me to his house to complete the group task of faculty and ... uhm ... more intimate than it should. I did not find any evidence or clue about the manufacturing factory that he had! He was truly a genius make himself look innocent and clean.” Soojin lay back in his chair with a feeling of disgust when remember what they did last Saturday.

“The previous agent said similar things like you. She even gave up because she was already nearly fell in his charm. But I know you so well, I train you to be strong. I’m sure you can drop it. Try harder, you are trained hard to be able to solve any mission. You’re even willing to take a risk on previous missions that almost all agents that are assigned were made to think twice. You can do it, Soojin. You just have to pay more detail attention and think faster than usual. Soojin is the girl I know is not easy to give up and complain.” Miyoung encouraging. Soojin realized the words were spoken by her mentor.

Pay more detail attention and think faster than usual ... Soojin kept repeating those words in mind.

“How’s Soomin? You left her alone in the apartment again?” Miyoung snapped. Soojin know Miyoung was very fond of her sister, and considers as her own sister.

“Soomin attends school summer camp that held for five days. Last time she called me seems like she was having fun with her ​​friends. She didn’t know her eonni here tormented by the act of an angel-faced criminal...” Soojin sighed again and then sipped her coffee.

MiYoung chuckled, but a second later her face turned serious. “Don’t let your sister off guard, she was the only one family you had. We will never know when the criminals will come to endanger the lives of the people we care about.” Miyoung encouraging Soojin, pat on her back softly, then leave her alone. 

Soojin know the meaning behind those words Miyoung said just now. She lost her fiancé while on a mission. He was killed by an assassin from someone who hold grudge against Miyoung. She always reminds Soojin to be careful of bad people who will always make a bad surprise at the people she loved.

Soojin back struggling with CCTV video and observations about Kris before she looked at the watch on her wrist and prepare to return to campus.

 

◈◈◈

 

A week later, Soojin finally get a clue to ambush Kris, who was in the factory by information she received from the tracking device which she attached on Kris’s pendant. And it never failed to remind her of the scene when she was in his house. Scene that actually never want to her to remember again, because for the first time she ‘making-out’ by letting her lips touched by the lips of a big criminal like him. And Kris seemed unaware her who quickly attaching such devices to his pendants.

She and her team are now preparing in front of an old house that turned out to be the location of underground factory of arsenic and ecstasy belonged to Kris. And according to the signal from that tracking device, Kris was inside. The entire team has spread in every corner of the old house, and some sniper and shooter follow Soojin towards the entrance of the factory. All members of the team are only waiting for the command from Soojin.

She enter first through the secret door. There is a short corridor before the main entrance to the place where the prohibited stuffs were produced by him. The door was slightly open ajar, indicating there is a person inside. And she was secretly grateful and little excited because she doesn't have to track the passcode to get in through the door. Soojin run without any sound. She look around the factory contained drums lots of crates and boxes containing chemical tools. This factory does not look like a factory that she imagined. The factory was more like a lab experiment that she used to see on campus, but it was larger. Soojin made ​​through her code to the shooter team to come in and watch. She looked at the screen where it shows the location of the tracking device.

Soojin’s heart skipped a beat when she began to approach where the source of the green dot was blinking. She put up a black mask to cover her face. The gun was ready she held at her waist any time if needed. The steps are slowly but surely approaching the source of the signal that leads to a room with a glass door. She immediately pressed her back to the wall right next to the door were located. She peeked and saw a man wearing casual clothes shows his back to her. Soojin then create a finger cue to give a code again to the team who had been follows her.

Soojin could hear his own heartbeat rhythm is getting faster as she began holding the door knob and a second later she opened the door softly almost without sound. She approached the male and put her gun straight to the head of the target.

“Put your hands up, drop everything in your hands to the floor slowly. Do not pu up a fight or you’ll lose your brain.” Soojin said. Her voice was sharp and intimidating.

Soojin felt something peculiar when ambushed the target. The person who he believes is Kris was not as tall as compare to Kris. She then turned him around after he had put all that he held to the floor. How shocked Soojin at the sight of Chanyeol face in front of her with his hands still above his head. Chanyeol looks a little frightened and shocked. But since Soojin wearing the mask, he doesn’t see that the one who capture him was Soojin, his classmates.

“Wh-who are you??” Chanyeol stammered.

Soojin can not let him slip. She wanted an explanation why Chanyeol can enter into the factory and how he can get through the entrance with a passcode, and what he was doing in the building.

She quickly commanded her men to anesthetize him and put on an eye mask to Chanyeol and taken him to NSI headquarters to be asked for an explanation. She was irritated by the fact that he lost Kris caught in the act. Her mind was preoccupied with the questions she wanted to hear the answer directly from Chanyeol’s lips.

‘That tracking device... how can there be on Chanyeol???’

 

◈◈◈

 

Chanyeol wake up from his unconsciousness and realize he was in a closed room with a long table in front of him. His hands were cuffed behind his back. He felt like he was in the action movies he watched where the room is often used to investigate someone. A dark glass window in front of him, he knows there are people who pay attention behind it. He tried to stand, but a second later he found her feet tied by a wires that leads to a small hole in the wall where the window glass was. He then examine the entire body and feel a white round plaster was attached in her left chest.

‘Electrocardiogram... and these wires... argh! ...’

 

Behind a dark glass window, Soojin noticed Chanyeol adapt to discomfort in the room. Some operators are also located in the same room with her, monitoring his heart rate and the other people preparing to electrocute with certain voltage through the wires at his ankle if he refused to give explanation. It is all prepared by Soojin’s orders. She was betrayed to know people she believes very innocent and may be stuck in a wrong friendship with Kris, turns out to have some relationship relating to the illicit business Kris owned. During this time she assumed that Chanyeol not know anything about the crime that Kris did. She wanted to know what information Chanyeol had about his friend’s business. Therefore, she personally stepped in on Chanyeol‘s investigation. She didn’t allow the investigation team to dig out any information from Chanyeol besides she herself hear directly from him.

Miyoung approached Soojin before she left the monitoring room and began to investigate Chanyeol. “You have to keep your emotional stable, Soojin. I know you feel betrayed with all their innocent faces that hidden many secrets, but in investigating someone, you should be able to control your emotions.” Miyoung Said. She didn’t want her disciple doing investigation by follows her emotional side. Soojin took a deep breath and see Chanyeol are still looking around the room, looking resigned.

“Are you sure you want to ask that person alone? You know, I mean— you need an expert in digging information—“

Soojin cut her sentence. “I know. But I want to hear from his own his mouth directly what I want to know, sunbaenim. I’m also in touch with them through this.” Soojin said, pointing at his ear earclip.

“Believe me, I'm not going to make his heart stop here. If he can cooperate and provide information that I want, he won’t be harmed.” Soojin slowly squeezing Miyoung’s shoulder before she left. Miyoung sighed and then took a seat facing the window glass to see Soojin investigate Chanyeol.

Soojin walked into the room and immediately sat down in front of Chanyeol. Chanyeol look very surprised to know Soojin, his classmate, was  in front of him wearing a suit of clothes that he used to see in the secret agent movies. Long-sleeved white shirt rolled up to the elbow, a bulletproof vest attached to his body and black pants with black boots. At the moment Chanyeol was mesmerized and thought Soojin look y with a suit like that. But in such circumstances Chanyeol couldn’t look at her too long when she gave a sinister look to him.

“Where am I?” Chanyeol asked nervously.

“You've looked around and I’m sure you know what is this room— We call this investigation room.” Soojin replied dryly with her eyes glared at Chanyeol.

“What do you want to know from me? I don’t have any information for you.” He turned his face from her.

Soojin sighed. “I won’t hurt you if you can provide the information I need,” Soojin folded her arms across her chest. She continued, “Since when do you know Kris has a factory for the manufacture of arsenic and ecstasy? You've been friends with him so long and I believe you know the answer.”

“You don’t know what the real Kris is. I won’t tell you anything about Kris... AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!” Chanyeol screaming in pain as he felt her feet were electrocuted after she give a finger code to towards the window.

“I give a great option for you, but you prefer to be hurt. Well Chanyeol, I asked again. Please don’t hurt yourself and answer the question clearly. Since when do you know Kris running an illegal business? How can that tracker is in you, and how do you know about the factory owned by Kris?” Soojin asked in an intimidating voice that she wished Chanyeol could give the answer she needed.

Chanyeol winced in pain. He has no intention to give any information regarding Kris to Soojin. Instead, he wanted to show who he really is.

“I never thought we could meet again... in these circumstances, Jin-ah.” Soojin surprised. Her eyes widen.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!” Electrocuting wires on his feet react again. Soojin quickly stood up from her seat and give the stop code to the operator via hand behind the glass window.

“Wh-where did you— know that name?!” Soojin asked stuttered in shock. The name was used when she was still in the orphanage. Someone gave it her name. And he was not happy to remember her life at the orphanage.

“I-I hope you remember me faster... when we first met, Jin-ah... You've changed so much...” Chanyeol trying to finish the sentence even though his whole body felt excruciating pain in his legs.

“LOOK Chanyeol! I don’t really care who you are and how you know the name! I NEED information about the MONSTER KRIS now!” Soojin getting impatient to deal with Chanyeol who was stalling time, moreover it brings back bad memories while she was in the orphanage. And frankly, she does not like to be called by that name.

“You must listen to me, Soojin! You’re too obsessed to strike Kris down, until you sacrifice your pride to him just to know things that could harm yourself! I watched you for a long time Soojin, long time! Since we first met again. And I was surprised find out you CHANGE A LOT! And being here, in this state..... obsession will only harm you, Soojin. Kris is not an easy person to be sought to know about his personal life. You’re too rushed to be able to know what he planned...”

“What does all this mean Yeol?” Soojin’s brows knit, her eyes glaring at Chanyeol.

“I just want you to be safe... I don’t want you to harm yourself. I didn’t know you were going to be like this but...” Chanyeol paused, he stared at Soojin with worry. And Soojin see the sincerity of his eyes, but she was not a girl who easily believe in what she saw, after everythings that was happened.

Chanyeol took a deep breath before continuing, “Just be careful with Kris from now on. Go to Busan Wharf Sunday morning before the auction begins. Kris will ship the entire goods. He will destroy the factory tonight to remove traces and will build a new factory. I did this... for you Soojin... although Kris will come after me and kill me with his own hands, I’m sure I will not regret it if you managed to catch him red handed...”

Soojin straight up to turned and started walking towards the door, leaving Chanyeol in the room. But Chanyeol call her with a weak tone. Soojin turned and saw Chanyeol said, trying to smile. “I’m... glad we could meet again. Take care of yourself, I want to see you back alive...”

Soojin turning the knob of the door and out of the room to create a plan with her team. But before she shut the door, at least she had to say something on Chanyeol to show her gratitude.

“Thank you. Keep your heart remains beating somehow.” Soojin exit and shut the door.

 

◈◈◈

 

With the information Chanyeol provided to her, now she and her team were in Busan Wharf with a plan to catch Kris. She and her team are disguised so that no one suspects their movements. Soojin disguised as a fishmonger girl, while the other team spread around the dock as fishermen, porters, auction clerk, and some become crew members of the ship that were suspected to be used to smuggle the goods abroad. Of course he use illegal way to send the goods. He hid it behind a container of frozen fish.

 Miyoung and monitoring team is helping to inform if there are signs of the presence of Kris and his men in the dock through monitoring cameras have been installed previously in every corners of the dock. The entire team is connected via hidden earclip.

Soojin see Kris’s van entering the dock after hearing the information Miyoung provided through the earclip. She then gestured to her team to get ready. Soojin started following his steps, carrying a basket of fish as disguise attributes. Being too eager to immediately capture Kris and unload the evidence which has always hidden its existence, unconsciously her distance is too close to the target. Miyoung has already warn her, but she can not step back again. Soojin decided to keep the distance with Kris that close, despite the fact that Kris started to feel the incongruity. And he knew very well that their illegal activity will got an obstacle.

Kris gave the command to his men and Soojin surprise when she saw her sister were tied by the hands and foot, was taken out of from his van. Soomin calling out her sister name in frightened voice. Soojin instantly froze on the spot, didn't think that Kris will know who the real her and bring her sister involved in this scene.

“Bad disguise, Soojin.” Kris said skeptic. Everything happens quickly and Soojin already in the hands of his men. She saw her team was fight brutally against Kris’s men and heard several shots from inside the ship. The entire residents and the people around who saw the incident immediately ran to save themselves and not expect to be one of the victims of the actions they see.

Soojin hear Miyoung give her orders to use her weapon, but her body suddenly difficult to move and a second later her vision became blurry and dark then realized that she was drugged by Kris’s men.

Chloroform... Soomin... forgive me...

 

◈◈◈

 

 

“Eonni...” Soomin called her sister with hoarse voice as he continued to sobbing.

“Soomin...” Soojin slowly regained consciousness and tried to make sure Soomin is fine.

“Eonni... I’m scared...”

“Soomin you okay?” Soojin crawled up to Soomin who were leaning toward a wooden crate. She tried to to break the knot in her hands while looking around to find out where she was.

“I-I’m fine eonni but... wh-why are we here?”

“I will explain later. Forgive me Soomin, we’ll get out of here as soon as possible, I promise.”

“Very confident. Do not promise something that you yourself are not sure can fulfill Soojin-ah. Especially to this innocent sister... you’ve lied for years about your job...” Kris chuckled. He went to Soomin who tried to stay away from Kris.

“DON’T TOUCH MY SISTER!!! I WILL ING KILL YOU KRIS! LET HER GO!” Soojin Shouted. However, no effect at all on Kris. He lifted her Soomin’s chin and said to her.

You know, your sister works as a secret agent who is always meddling of others business, Soomin. And it's very disrespectful. And very disturbing. Because she’s been annoying, she should be punished. Too bad she had to watch her sister suffer first. The pain will only briefly, Soomin. Any last words before you met your parents in heaven?”

"LET MY SISTER GO, KRIS! SHE DON’T KNOW ANYTHING!!! I SWEAR I WILL KILL YOU IF YOU HARM SOOMIN!!!” Soojin really hate to see herself in a state like this, can not do anything because her hands and feet were tied.

Kris sighed, pretending to look disappointed. He then turned his attention to Soojin and crouched down to look straight to Soojin face.

“Too late Soojin. Your sister already knows everything now. It’s not worthy to use your mouth to scream. I'd rather you use your mouth to say ‘Kiss me’ again like when we were together.” Kris rubbed Soojin lips with his thumb. Soojin turn her face by shook her head hard. She was disgusted with every touch from him.

“Don't touch my eonni!” Soomin screamed. Tears fall down her cheeks.

“I thought we could be together. I confessed to you with all my heart, Soojin. I love you sincerely. I was fooled I didn’t know that night you were put on act towards me. I thought you were having the same feeling as me when you ask me to kiss you. That was my happiest time, just so you know, Soojin. I thought you’re the one for me. The last person that I want to live with. Then it turns out you’re just using me for this…” He closed his eyes for a while, and Soojin see the painful in his eyes when he opened it again.

“Do you know how painful it was? I have a heart too, Soojin. We kill people, that’s why we’re fit to each other, aren’t we?” He caress her cheeks, and buried himself in the crooked of her neck.

“I don’t kill innocent people, Kris. Not like you. We don’t match to each other. Why don’t you just surrender and stop this illegal activity?” She can feel his warm breath brushed her skin.

“I can’t. This is my life.” He raised his head and looked at Soojin.

“Then I don’t have anything for you anymore.” She said flatly.

He took a deep breath, “Answer me, Soojin. Do you have a bit feelings for me?”

“No.” She replied clearly. He stared her face with a painful look. He leaned in to kiss her lips. He cupped her face to steady it. She just stay still and not kiss him back. And not let him have his way to her. He broke the kiss and look down.

“Then I don’t have any choice than to kill you, Soojin.” He looked at her and kiss her forehead.

He walk away and she presumed he was going to take something. At a time like this Soojin took her best chance to break the knot of rope in her hands. Although she knew her hands were bruised and bloody because she tried hard pushing the rope from her wrist.

“You never knew me and Chanyeol had quarreled because of you. I should have listened to his words that you’re using me. I was too blind with my love for you to see this coming. And now I feel more stupid because Chanyeol have another intentions. He betrayed me, same like you, Soojin!” He snapped while turn his back to her.

“You deserve to be betrayed, Kris. You’re the one who deceive Chanyeol in the first place. You’re a killer. You cover your true identity from Chanyeol. Tch... it turns out the genius Kris is not good at reading the meaning of what others say.” Soojin said sarcastically. A second later she felt her cheeks heat and throbbing as Kris flying a hard slap to her.

“Eonni!!!” Soomin screamed witnessed her sister being hurt.

“!” Kris snapped. He then pulled out a gun, an injection containing liquid in it, and a small pill.

“You choose your way to die. Everything will end your life, but because I’m so thoughtful, I give you three options. If you choose a gun, you won’t feel any pain at all. You can even directly meet your parents in heaven. These injections contain arsenic. You’ve got one minute to say the last word to your sister before you exhale your last breath. And this is cyanide pill. This has the effect of burning and explode, literally I suggest you don’t take this, because it will be painful. I don’t want to see you suffer.” Soojin looked at Kris horror. She didn’t expect that Kris was also a psycho.

“Come, choose one of them. Or do you want me to picked out for you?” Kris get rid of his gun and the cyanide pill.

“Here. I’m sure you’ll want to say a final message to your sister, so I choose the arsenic because you will have a time together with your sister for last 1 minute before your pretty face turned pale and stiff without a soul.” He smiled scarily.

“Eonni!!!” Soomin cried louder to see the injections was starting approaching Soojin’s neck.

“I still love you, Soojin. I’m sorry. You leave me no choice.” Kris kissed Soojin by force for the last time. Soojin resigned. Ties in her hands is very hard to remove. And now Kris in front of her was prepared with injection of arsenic in his hand that would finish her life. Soojin cry to see her sister. Maybe it’s time she ended her career and leave her sister. She just hoped Miyoung can take care for Soomin when she’s gone.

The kiss lasted long enough. And ends when she heard the sound of metal doors of the ship storeroom where she and her sister were kept is forcibly broken. Soojin’s eyes widened and saw some shooters and snipers opened fire on the Kris’s men. Kris panic and pull Soojin up. He put the injection right into Soojin neck and threatened them.

“Stop !! I’ll kill her if you don’t stop moving! Drop all of your weapons!!” Kris yelled and all agents were distracted. Miyoung and team leader gave the code to drop their weapons.

Kris put his arm on Soojin’s shoulder. He stepped back to the boat deck. Soomin just screaming, crying and calling his sister. Soojin wanted to struggle, but she wasn't able to do anything with his hands and feet still tied. Soojin suddenly heard a gunshot. He thought one of his men shoot her or shoot NSI agent. She closed her eyes helplessly and shed tears.

‘Is this the end of it all? Soomin...I wish you happy without me...’

 

However Soojin surprised when Kris’s grip loosened on her shoulder and soon Kris fall on her body. She exert every effort to remove his body and crawled away. Kris was holding Soojin’s leg but she kicked it. Miyoung ran to Soojin and Soomin to untied them, while another team of NSI agents cleared Kris’ men.

Soojin see the blood seepage from Kris’s back who now groaned in pain and saw a man with a complete agent suit approached Kris with still pointing a gun at him.

“Chanyeol...” Soojin stunned. She didn’t know what really happened.

“I’ll explain everything later, Soojin.” Chanyeol said.

Miyoung bring Soomin out first passed the bullets rain between NSI and Kris’s mens. Chanyeol and immediately ran towards Soojin and untied his feet. Chanyeol which turn his back to Kris didn’t know if he kept the gun in his waistband. Soojin realized but it was too late to tell Chanyeol who busy cutting the rope in her leg. And the sound of gunshot was heard, followed by Chanyeol who fell down at Soojin’s feet.

“Chanyeooooll!!!” She screamed in fright. She couldn’t do anything with her hands still tied. Her inner cursed Chanyeol were not untied her hands first. And she didn’t find a weapon because Kris has been stripped off all her weapons. Soojin crawl backwards to avoid Kris while trying to wake Chanyeol.

“I won’t let you live this time.” He pull the trigger, ready to shot her. She closed her eyes preparing to get shot by Kris.

“Aaaarrgghhhh!!!” Soojin immediately open her eyes to find the source of the cry, and right before her eyes, Kris growled when Miyoung plugging the injection containing arsenic in his neck.

“Come on Kris, you got 1 minute to say your last words.” Miyoung squat and pull his hair to face Soojin.

“Betrayer…” Kris painstakingly tried to smile and soon Kris died of arsenic poisoning that he has made.

“S-sunbaenim...” Soojin speechless. Miyoung walk to her direction and cut off the rope in her hands.

“Ughh...” Chanyeol tried to get up and coughed because he feels claustrophobic by Kris shot.

“Chan-Chanyeol... are you still alive? Are you okay?” Soojin with a surprised expression towards Chanyeol. She immediately approached Chanyeol, helped him up.

“I never thought ... if got shot— was okay…” Chanyeol replied and clutching the parts of his body were shot. Miyoung help reduces the bleeding on his waist with a cloth tied around it.

“You're going to spend the time in the hospital again Yeol! You should be more careful again to run your mission.” MiYoung said while led Chanyeol to stand.

“Sunbaenim... you know him?” Soojin asked confused.

“He’s your junior, he is under the guidance of Luhan. Uhm... maybe Chanyeol can explain it in detail to you later. Now we have to go to the hospital. Chanyeol lost a lot of blood and he needs immediate treatment.” Miyoung said. Soojin’s gaze now fixed on Chanyeol. He nodded in agreement and shamble while being carried by some other NSI agent.

Miyoung bring Soojin to the car where she secured Soomin. The two sisters hugged each other. On the way to the hospital Soojin tell the truth to Soomin. She reveals what her real job to Soomin. Fortunately Soomin would understand and don’t want to impede her sister to work in a dangerous environment. She just wished her sister could have survived.

 

◈◈◈

 

Chanyeol opened his eyes slowly. He finally woke up after undergoing surgery to remove a bullet lodged in his waist. He looked around and found Soojin’s figure standing next to his bed.

“S-Soojin?” He rubbed his eyes to make sure that he really saw Soojin.

“Babo.” She said softly. But Chanyeol can still hear it clearly. Raised his brows confused.

“You’re supposed to shoot your target straight in the head. Until he died. And there, you’re not going to be shot and lying weakly like this, in here.” She scolded. However her nagging only make Chanyeol’s smile widening.

“You still owe me an explanation.” Soojin then push the button to call the doctor and the nurse to check his condition that are now awake.

 

 

“I’m strong enough to tell you all about it, Jin-ah.” Chanyeol said after doctor and nurses finished checking his condition.

“I don’t like that name.” She said coldly but she waited for an explanation from Chanyeol.

Chanyeol took a deep breath before telling her. “It will be a long story, Soojin. Are you sure you want to hear it?” Soojin nodded quickly.

“All right. I’m Park Chanyeol, 22 years old by now. At the orphanage I was called Doong-doong. I’m a fat boy who always bully you, and always call you Jin-ah even though I know you hate it...” Soojin covered with her ​​hand and widened her eyes in surprised. She doesn’t believe Doong-doong the fatty boy turned out to be Chanyeol.

“I like you for a long time, Soojin. That's why I keep bully you because I just wanted to get attention from you. When you and your sister being bullied by other children, I always defend you. I was amazed by the way you protect Soomin. And when you run away from the orphanage, I felt very sad. I want to chase you and go with you, but I don’t know where you and your sister go. I kept looking for you and always look forward to see you again.” He pasused and smile with that pretty old memories.

“When I was fifteen I met Kris. He came from a wealthy family. And he just wants to be friends with me. He is quite mysterious and always read the book. Me and Kris became close friends. He was not an easy person to get along, Kris tend to be quiet and the type of person who is hard to trust someone in his life. He just follows the language clubs in school, club that have only few members, that’s why Kris chose it. He didn’t want to adapt with new people. And I join the archery club. I learned it for 3 years and not intended to bragging, but I always get the first winner in every match.” She rolled her eyes and he just chuckled look at her expression.

“I never forget you at all, Soojin. I always try to find you. Until I accidentally found you. At the moment I was 18 I was recruited by NSI who claims always watching me at every match. They were impressed with my accuracy skill. Therefore I had to change schools and undergo training in NSI. I was not expecting to see you there at the time, practicing wushu and taekwondo. I wanted to run towards you but I’m ashamed. They said you would be the best young agent in Dead Crime sectors, follow the lead of Miyoung sunbaenim. I want to show my ability to be comparable with you later when I faced you. So I trained hard under the guidance of Luhan sunbaenim. I’m quite happy to know that finally I could be in the same building with you even if you don’t know me anymore.” He smiled sweetly and couldn’t hide the happiness to see her face flushed.

“There are four agents sent to investigate Kris, including you and me. Initially I was also very surprised and didn’t expect to receive the target file which turns out is my old friend, Kris. I never thought that his intelligence turned out to be misused, and eventually he became a criminal. I was sent to meet again with Kris to get into university and same department with Kris. Long story short, two agents who were sent to investigate Kris before you, give up because they don’t get any information at all and just assume that Kris is innocent. One of them even gave up because she was afraid of falling deeper because of Kris charm.”

“It's as told by Miyoung sunbaenim...” Soojin murmured. “Continue.”

“For a year I gleaned facts about Kris. And I began to know the reason why the police were never able to find it and sue him. One of the professors in college was his uncle. He was the one who teaches Kris to makes scientific experiments. And he also introduced Kris in his little dirty business. Kris could have quit school and enjoy the results of his business, but he had to cover the crimes of his uncle, to remain a student until he graduated. Every 3 months he destroys and builds factory. And always in the basement. That's why the police were never able to find it. And he put high security on his business.

The day I was in the hospital because my arm was stabbed while on a mission in Japan, was when you sent for admission to the university and helped to investigate Kris. I was told by Luhan sunbaenim. Indirectly, we are hidden partner. But you know the rules, ‘Identity is Dignity Must Withheld Until Death’, so I let you assume that I was a regular student who was friends with Kris.

I was so afraid you will suffer the same fate as previous agent who fall in Kris charm, and the day when I saw you getting hot with him at his house, my blood was boiling in rage. I don’t like my girl being touched by other male, especially when it was the reason you throw yourself at him only to get any information from him. After you walked away from his house, we had quarreled over you. I’m annoyed, and super mad after witnessed that scene. At that time I also want to tell you who I really am, but I don’t want the plans to be fail. But the more I see clearly that you are getting frustrated because it is difficult to get information about Kris. And you turn into an obsessive and rushed things over…” Soojin can see the pained expression on Chanyeol face.

“I’m sorry... I was too stressed at that time.” She murmured softly. He held out his hand to reach her face and it gently while smiles reassuringly.

“It's okay, I’m just afraid you’re going to thwart the plan and my investigation over the last year. I’m afraid you sacrifice yourself too much. And a little fear began to become a reality. Kris confessed to me that he was beginning to like you. Kris has never had a female friend before. Therefore he was very trusted you. I was a little disappointed at the time, but I tried to be professional.

And when you find me in the factory, Kris asked me to go there to get the files he needs to be given to uncle because I knew the night he was going to destroy the building. I know about the factory since he often take me to there, but we can’t ambush him like that, he played clean. If you see more detailed, you would never found any evidence that the factory was used to produse the arsenic and ecstasy. The pendant has some code to open the main door. That’s why you found me and then you come to arrest me and getting  misunderstood.” Chanyeol tells it all the length chronology .

“But you’re still stupid. Or maybe I am being fooled by you and sunbaenim. I don’t know anything about you eventually get into NSI. But for now... I’m glad you finally— uhm—survived.” She said suddenly nervous when Chanyeol staring intensely at her.

He hold her hands and rubbed softly on her wound rope. “I will not let you go again Soojin. Don’t ever leave me again. Please. Stay on my side from now on.” Soojin surprised with what to say.

“Last time I remember, you were almost leave me, Yeol. You’re almost dead from the shot.” Soojin smiled. Maybe it was the time to have a partner again.

“I’ll try my best not to leave you. You’ve told me to keep my heart still beating, do you remember?” Chanyeol chuckled.

“I love you, Soojin.” With a condition that could only lied down, it’s a disadvantage for him. He pulled her closer. She followed his lead and pressed her lips with his. It was a gentle kiss and compare to Kris’s kiss, she prefer to like Chanyeol’s kiss. She can’t denied the he was also an attractive and handsome. She broke the kiss and back to sit at the bedside. He grinned happily.

“After recovered, I would request a new partner to Suho leader. I’m sure Luhan sunbaenim will do the same thing with Miyoung sunbaenim.”

“They’re dating?”

“It’s been 3 months I think, more less.” They laughed.

“Oh my goodness, how can it be? They’re in different sector, right?”

“Yes, just like you and me.”

“So, partner?” Soojin smile and Chanyeol smile back. Inwardly Soojin will try her best to protect her new partner. It may not only be a partner in their work as secret agent, but maybe she will open her heart to accept Chanyeol as her life partner—someday.

 

◈◈◈



I hope this wasn't too long for a one-shot. Hehe ^o^

Comment please~