Braved

Braved
Please log in to read the full chapter

                “Have you heard? We’re going to do the bravery test after the Halloween party!” Jongdae has cheekily announced. Out of the eleven people he’s announced it to, only Minseok has responded positively by giving him a big grin and a high five. If Tao could just go and disappear to curl up in his bed and sleep, willing this day to be over and done, he would very much welcome it with open arms. But as it is, everybody is required to do the test. Well, actually, they are allowed to skip the whole thing but then he’ll be facing a lifetime worth of torture and humiliation from his eleven evil friends.

                “What are you chewing on, Tao-yah?” Junmyeon slid on the seat beside him. He looked up at his roommate and saw that the other boys were already on their feet to prepare for the test. Okay, maybe just ten of his friends will make fun of him. It somehow eased him when he saw some faces that were a little anxious, feeling that he might not be the only one who will be scared out of his wits during the dreadful test. Why does it have to involve ghosts? Why can’t they just bring him a hundred gangsters to beat up? He can easily put them to their butts with his Wushu skills.

                “Don’t mind me, hyung, I’m just a little tired from the practice,” Tao tried to look indifferent but Junmyeon saw right through him. They’ve been roommates for just a semester but he knows that the freshman is easily scared even though many people who see him think that he’s menacing. Tao is a giant cuddly panda, truth be told.

                “You can just seat out, you know. Don’t mind the others,” Junmyeon patted Tao’s shoulder to comfort the kid. He’s so rigid on his seat.

                “But hyung…” Tao whined and his eyes wandered to the far end of the room and his roommate understood. The panda kid wants to look good to somebody.

                “Why try to be someone that you’re not, Zi Tao? So what if you’re scared of ghosts? It doesn’t make you less of a person,” Junmyeon squeezed Tao’s arm.

                “Aish, Junnie, you’re spoiling the kid. Let him face his fears,” Yixing s his arm on Junmyeon’s shoulders making the younger blush at the contact. Tao could’ve gotten green because of envy but he just sighed.

                “Hey, Tao. Maybe you can team up with Lulu. You can go together,” Sehun sneaked up behind Tao who jumped and aimed a fist on Sehun’s poker face but he missed.

                “Sehunnie, don’t leave me!” Luhan protested and he clung to his boyfriend like there’s no tomorrow.

                “But I want to join Yi Fan hyung and Chanyeol hyung to their ghost hunting, Lu baby,” Sehun tried to coo Luhan to give him a go but the older was stubborn and he pushed his boyfriend and stomped away to complain to his bestfriend, Minseok. Tao perked up at the mention of Yi Fan’ name, his first ever guy crush. He never knew he’s into boys as well until he set his eyes on the tower of beauty and sophistication who is making his way to where Tao is. Tao started to blush.

                “You can join Luhan, man. Yeol and I won’t mind. Heck, I don’t think he’ll be able to show up as well,” Yi Fan pointed to where Chanyeol and Baekhyun are obviously arguing over something. Tao can only ogle at the sight before him.

                “Chanyeol hyung will be there, I’m sure of it. Besides, this is the last time that we’ll be able to do this. You’re leaving for Canada after graduation, right hyung?” Sehun pouted and Yi Fan laughed at his silly bestfriend. Oh sheesh, that has slipped Tao’s mind and now that he’s reminded of it, his heart hurt. He’ll surely miss the guy’s always-angry brows and gummy smile.

                “Tao is something wrong?” Yi Fan touched Tao’s arm and the latter was jolted to attention. His reaction doesn’t seem to get less intense as the times pass.

                “He’s got the same issue as Lulu and I’ll bet my money that Baek hyung is joining their club,” Sehun furrowed his eyebrows and Tao wants to kick his again because he’s making Tao look like a sissy high schooler. He’s not! Well, maybe a little… Tao has fixed his eyes on Yi Fan without being discreet; he’s lost his senses to admiring Yi Fan’s everything.

                “Hmmm, then if you’re going to pair with your boyfriends…” Yi Fan paused as he looked thoughtful, facing Sehun. Tao is internally fidgeting. He’s getting excited for some reason but he doesn’t know why. “…do you mind if I pair with you Tao?” The giant panda’s heart dropped to the ends of the earth. Did he hear it right? Wu Freaking Yi Fan is asking to pair with him? Before Yi Fan could even change his mind, Tao nodded with a little more enthusiasm than needed.

                “That’s just perfect. I’ll go make peace with Lulu then,” Sehun winked to Tao who was oblivious with what was happening in his surroundings. All he’s thinking of is Yi Fan and Yi Fan.

                “Uhhh, Tao?” Yi Fan was waving his hand in front of Tao’s face. He blinked several times before he gathered his self together.

                “Yeah?” He replied nonchalantly but his inner fangirl is doing all sorts of tosses and turns inside his head.

                “You don’t need to be scared. I’ll be with you,” Yi Fan smiled reassuringly.

                “O-okay,” Tao smiled sheepishly and blushed red as tomato. Ghosts or what-not be damned. He’s going to be with Wu Yi Fan.

 

                “Sehunnieee!” Luhan wailed at the same time that Baekhyun shouted, “Park Chanyeoool!” They are both clinging like a koala to their boyfriends and are screaming at the littlest sounds that they hear. Yi Fan is almost doubling over laughter at how ridiculous they look. He’s sure that if he’s a ghost, he’ll be the one who will be damn scared. Tao on the other hand is somewhat imitating a robot with the way he walks. He’s all frozen and stiff because of fear but every turn of Yi Fan’ head to him propels his feet forward.

                “Tao come here,” Yi Fan called him over because he’s a few steps behind. Tao’s mind is racing with his thoughts of ghosts planning on ambushing them and who know what they will do next. When he didn’t give any reaction, Yi Fan closed in the three-step distance between them. Worry creased his forehead. He didn’t know Tao was this scared. Ever since he laid his eyes on the panda look alike, he didn’t see him as intimidating in any way. He saw Tao as a caring and warm person and not to mention, cute too. Aren’t all pandas cute?

                “Can somebody explain to me why are we doing this?” Baekhyun demanded as he shook his boyfriend with every word he spoke.

                “We told you that you can stay behind, beautiful,” Chanyeol pulled his boyfriend closer even though Baek is practically strangling him. A strong wind blew and leaves were flown to where they are and because it’s dark, the scared ones didn’t see them as leaves but as ghosts trying to kidnap them. There were screams once again.

                Yi Fan started to laugh again when he was back-hugged by somebody who turned out to be Tao. His laughter drowned

Please log in to read the full chapter