Saturday Night Lights

Unconventionally Normal

Saturday night later that week found Kyungsoo and Jackson getting ready to go to the party. Jackson fixed his hair in the bathroom mirror. Technically he shouldn’t even have been invited to this party considering he was still a sophomore, but popularity had its perks. One of them was that since he was on the school’s dance team (and the fact that he was cute helped as well) he was always invited to go places. The fifteen year old checked out his outfit in the mirror which consisted of dark wash jeans with various tears around the knee and thigh and a black long sleeved graphic shirt. With his jewelry and trusty snap back he was pretty much good to go.

“Jackson! Are you almost ready to go Chanyeol and Hyunsik are going to be here soon.” Kyungsoo called from down the hall.

“Yeah I’m ready I just got to put my shoes on.”

Jackson walked to the elder’s room to see Kyungsoo grabbing his shoes from under the bed. He took one look at his brother’s outfit and frowned.

“What the hell are you wearing?” he demanded.

“Clothes, what the hell does it look like?” Kyungsoo shot back with a blank look. Jackson rolled his eyes so hard he could have gave himself a seizure.

Now Jackson by no means considered himself a “fashionista” he was much happier in simple basketball shorts and sleeveless shirts. However, he knew how to dress for the occasion. There was something to be said about the feeling you get when you take the time to put effort into your appearance. Kyungsoo however could not be bothered with such trivial crap. It was frustrating to say the least. Kyungsoo was currently dressed in simple jeans and a baggy black sweater. His hair was plain and looked like he didn’t even put effort into styling it. In Jackson’s opinion Kyungsoo was lucky Jongin was so freakin’ in love with him otherwise his brother would be single as hell with his lack of style.

“Please tell me that you plan to change before we leave.” Jackson asked.

“Why would I change I look just fine?”

“You look like you’re going to the damn library or better yet the damn morgue.” Jackson walked over to Kyungsoo’s closet and started going through the racks of clothes.

“All these damn clothes that mom and grandma buy you and you wanna walk out the house looking like Wednesday Adams. I should punch you in your damn throat.” The younger mumbled as he threw an outfit together for the other.

“Change clothes! Then we can leave.” With that Jackson left Kyungsoo to correct his outfit.

Christiana leaned back in the couch cushions nursing a glass of wine as she flipped through movie channels. The boys were going to be gone for the evening so that left her alone at home and she planned to enjoy every minute of it. She had just settled on watching The Hobbit when the doorbell rang. As she got closer to the door she could hear the obnoxiously loud voice of her eldest son’s best friend. Rolling her eyes she opened the door placing her hand on her hip at the sight of Chanyeol and Hyunsik on the porch bickering. Both boys stopped talking as soon as they felt her eyes on them.

“Good evening gentlemen.” She smirked at the blush creeping on Chanyeol’s cheeks.

“Evening Mama C.J.” Hyunsik said happily. She moved aside to let them in the house they both kicked their shoes off as per the rules of Christiana’s house. Her carpet was too expensive to be damaging by tracking mud in the house.

“I trust there will be no trouble tonight correct? I shouldn’t be expecting any phone calls from the police station should I?” Christiana asked looking at the two boys expectantly. They were fairly good kids so she knew she didn’t have to worry too much, but it was fun messing with them. Plus you can’t be too careful with teenagers now a days.

“Of course not Ms. James, come on now. You know you can trust us.” Chanyeol said quickly.

“Hmm, I guess” she hummed teasingly. At that moment she heard feet bounding down the staircase and was greeted with her two sons rushing for the door.

“Bye mom see you later!” Jackson shouted giving her a quick kiss on the cheek as he grabbed his coat.

“I want you two in this house by eleven thirty, you hear?” she reminded as Kyungsoo also gave her a quick peck and pulled away Chanyeol before he could try to mimic him.

“Yes ma’am!” All four boys responded causing her to roll her eyes as she closed the door.

The location of the party was no more than 15-20 minutes away thankfully. They were already late by 45 minutes. The radio blasted the latest Billboard 100 hits which they sang along to, some better than others.

“Bang bang into the room! I know you want it! Bang bang all over you! I’ll let you have it!”

“Jackson I swear to god if you don’t stop singing off key in my ear!” Kyungsoo yelled mushing his brother in the face as the younger boy laughed.

“Is this the thanks I get after saving you from a fashion disaster?” Jackson mock pouted.

“I was going to mention that you actually look put together for once.” Chanyeol snickered from the front passenger seat. Kyungsoo flipped the giant off and stuck out his tongue, though he did have to admit his brother did a good job with his outfit. He had ended up changing into black skinny jeans paired with a white v-neck shirt under a royal blue three quarter length sleeved blazer. His black, blue, and grey high top sneakers finished off the ensemble. His hair was now purposely made to look tossled, all in all he looked hot.

“You look y.” Hyunsik smiled at the boy through the rear view mirror causing Kyungsoo to blush lightly.

“You better be happy Jongin ain’t in the car to hear you say that.” Jackson said taking a swig of the beer Chanyeol managed to sneak out his house.

“Speaking of which where is Jongin?” Chanyeol asked.

“He’s going to meet us there, he caught a ride with Sehun and the other members of the dance team.” Kyungsoo explained scrolling on his phone.

In no time they were pulling up to the house where the party was in full swing. It looked like your stereotypical high school party. Teens hanging out on the front porch with cups of god knows what in their hands. Inside the house it seemed like bodies lined up and hung off every surface. It was a wonder one could even move around. The bass from the rap song currently blasting through the stereo system pulsated through the house. The four boys pushed their way through the crowd to get to what seemed like the living room. There was a crowd of people huddled up around the center of the room all cheering and shouting. Jackson made his way over followed by Chanyeol not being able to resist the curiosity while Kyungsoo and Hyunsik stayed towards the back near the wall.

“I’m going to go get something to drink, do you want anything?” asked the older male.

“I’ll take a coke” Kyungsoo said looking around for Jongin.

“Do you want it plain or…” Huynsik trailed off.

“You already know the answer to that.”

“One rum and coke coming right up.” The other laughed his eyes creasing as he walked away.

Kyungsoo sighed not spotting Jongin anywhere. He leaned against the wall and looked back towards the crowd. He caught sight of his best friend and brother. Jackson looked over at him and waved him over, the older sibling rolled his eyes before pushing himself off the wall. He stood next to Jackson as he looked at what was the cause of all the noise. The doe eyed male shook his head in amusement as the person he had been looking for mere moments ago was currently engaged in a dance off. Jongin was in the process of battling it out with one of the other dance team members. It never failed that if there was a party and the dance team was there a dance battle was going to happen. It was so cliché but who was he to deny his beloved boyfriend his fun. Besides Jongin was so y when he danced.

The song soon came to an end and the crowd slowly broke up. Jongin was breathing heavily as he turned around and when his eyes landed on his smaller boyfriend his face lit up. Kyungsoo smirked as Jongin wrapped his hands around his waist pulling him close and lightly kissing him on the lips.

“You look y tonight. Not that you don’t normally but you get what I mean.” Jongin laughed.

“I could say the same for you, I love watching you dance.”

“I love you watching me dance.”

Right before they were about to kiss again Hyunsik handed Kyungsoo his drink which he gladly took. Jongin glared at the older male for interrupting their moment. Hyunsik simply smiled that eating grin he couldn’t stand.

“So what were you two up to?” he asked as he took a sip of his own drink.

“Oh nothing real interesting just trying to make out with my boyfriend.” Jongin shot back with a scowl. Kyungsoo lightly ran his hand up and down Jongin’s arm to get him to chill out.

“Hyunsik I know you’re not drinking. How are you going to volunteer to be DD and get drunk?” the shorter male snatched the cup from the other’s hand before he could even blink. Hyunsik pouted as Kyungsoo sniffed the drink once before tossing it into a nearby trash can.

“My baby is so responsible.” Jongin cooed hugging the elder from behind and kissing his cheek. Hyunsik gagged and rolled his eyes.

“Hey guys look who I found.” The three turned to see Jackson practically skipping over happily, it was obvious at this point he was a bit tipsy. The youngest was dragging a very pretty and petite girl behind him. Her raven black hair was pulled into a ponytail and her lips stained red. She smirked and waved at the group.

“Hey boys” she said as she wrapped herself around Jackson’s arm.

“Hey Hyuna” Jongin and Hyunsik greeted casually while Kyungsoo glared.

“Kyungsoo don’t look so happy to see me hon.” Hyuna tilted her head to the side coyly, her smile never leaving.

“Oh trust me I’m not. I don’t hear your loud brother anywhere did he not come?”

“Oh no he’s here somewhere. You know he’d never miss out on a party. Now if you would excuse me, my boyfriend owes me a dance.” Hyuna laughed as she dragged Jackson to the dance floor. Jackson sent his brother a pointed look clearly telling him to “behave”.

“My boyfriend owes me a dance…” Kyungsoo mocked pitching his voice higher and rolling his eyes.

“Let it go Kyungsoo.” Hyunsik with a snort of laughter.

Kyungsoo pouted before mumbling about having to use the bathroom and handed his drink to Jongin. The shorter teen made his way through the crowd. He somehow managed to find an empty bathroom on the second floor. After handling his business Kyungsoo made his way back into the crowd, was it just him or did it get even more packed than it was before? The petite male struggled to squeeze through the throngs of people attempting to find his friends only to be knocked into someone. He felt something wet splash across the bottom of his white shirt and groaned in frustration. Great he’ll probably never be able to wear this shirt again.

“I’m sorry I didn’t see y- well, well look who I found.”

Kyungsoo groaned yet again as he recognized that voice anywhere.

“Long time no see, Kyungie.”

“Hansol, I was hoping not to run into you. Figuratively and now literally.” He grumbled.

Kim Hansol was the bane of Kyungsoo’s existence ever since the summer of freshman year. Oddly enough the two originally didn’t have a problem with each other until his twin sister Hyuna got involved. However, one misunderstanding and a rumor later the two have not gotten along since.

“Don’t be so cold Kyungsoo, come on we’re friends.” Hansol said smirking. Kyungsoo laughed at the ridiculousness of his statement.

“I would hardly call us friends. We are a lot of things but friends is not one of them.”

Hansol hummed in agreement “True, besides I highly doubt I could ever truly be friends with a that off other people’s boyfriends in the locker room.”

Kyungsoo was seeing red at this point “ I swear to God I will-“

“ the police are here! Everyone out!” was heard throughout the hallway.

In an instant the house became chaos as people tried to make a run for it to avoid being caught by the police. People pushed and shoved and tripped and fell. Some not quick enough to avoid apprehension. That was certainly going to be a nice story to tell one’s parents. Kyungsoo however despite his height was fast and within minutes had managed to make it down the street and around the corner. The teen gasped for breath as running was never his forte he was not an athletic person like his brother or boyfriend.

Speaking of which.

The doe eyed male pulled out his phone and called his brother, praying that Jackson and the others managed to make it out the house okay. The line rang several times before Jackson finally picked up. Heavy breathing was heard along with music and yelling.

“Soo! Where are you?” Jackson yelled into the phone.

“I’m outside and down the block. Where the hell are you guys?” he looked around to try to spot Hyunsik’s truck.

“We’re in Hyunsik’s car, before you ask, yes Jongin is with us. Stay where you are we’re coming right now.”

“You don’t know what direction I went dummy.”

“Oh true…”

After directing his friends to his location Kyungsoo waited hiding behind bushes and other shrubbery in case the police drove by as they most definitely would still be patrolling the area. Within barely a minute he spotted black truck pulling up. Kyungsoo hopped in and was quickly pulled into a hug by Jackson.

“Oh my God, I thought they had caught you and I was going to have to call mom and then we both would have been dead. Well mostly you, but still!” he cried into the elder’s shoulder. Kyungsoo scrunched up his face at his baby brother’s tears and the stench of alcohol radiating off him, yup he was definitely drunk. He rubbed soothing circles into his back and rolled his eyes as he waited for the other to calm down.

Two hours later saw them twenty minutes late for curfew. After the busted party the group had decided to go get food and they had ended up in a McDonald’s and lost track of time. The plan had simply been to eat and wait till Jackson sobered up enough to go home without rousing too much suspicion from their mother. However things never go as planned for them. Thanks to the antics of Kim Jongin and Lim Hyunsik along with chronic instigator Park Chanyeol they had gotten thrown out of McDonald’s and are now twenty minutes late for curfew.

“I’m pretty sure she’s sleep. Your mom tends to check out pretty early.” Jongin tried to comfort. He was technically late for his curfew as well but he had his older brother Taemin cover for him.

“Jongin we could apparate into our bedrooms and she’d still know we got home late.” Jackson sighed as he got out the car. His head was starting to hurt and all he wanted to do was lay down and go to sleep. When he didn’t hear Kyungsoo behind him he ly to see that Jongin had pulled Kyungsoo back to the car and was currently, from the looks of it, trying to his soul out through his mouth. He feels like he’s going to upheave that quarter pounder onto the pavement.

“Seriously? Bruh you’re going to see him on Monday, can we please go inside? I would like to accept my punishment and go to bed already.” The youngest whined.

The two lovebirds finally broke apart and Kyungsoo followed behind his Jackson mumbling about “bitter blocks.” The two walked to the front door and prepared themselves for the worst. Their mom was very strict about curfew. Whatever time she said she wanted them home she meant it unless they called ahead of time saying they were going to be late. Even then they needed a good reason as to why. Jackson unlocked the door and tried to push it open as quietly as possible just in case she was sleep. They peeked into the TV room and saw their mom peacefully sleeping on the couch. A bag of kettle corn popcorn by her side, a wine glass on the coffee table and Once Upon A Time playing on Netflix.

So far so good.

The two tried to tip toe their way to the staircase just ahead. If they could get to their rooms, they were at least home free until the morning. Hell, depending on when she fell asleep she might not even notice they were late. They just hit the staircase when…

“You’re both grounded for a week.”

So close, oh so very close.

 

**************

I apologize for the extremely late update. I have no real excuse excpet writers block really. Anyway, I've now started doing outlines for the next couple of chapters and have set a schedule for myself. One of my perosonal goals for this year is to update more consistently. Until next time everyone *waves*

P.S/ Happy belated birthday to my main Exo bias and adorable squish Kyungsoo and his boo thang Jongin. They're now 22 and 21 respectively (damn I feel old).