You Need Steps To Get Through the Day

Unconventionally Normal

Being a single mother to two teenage boys is no easy task, however it was something that Christiana “C.J.” James had learned to become accustomed to over the years. Raising two boys by oneself was not the most ideal situation, but she had lots of help. She had her older brother and male friends to fill in where their father fell off. How else was she supposed to handle when her boys started going through puberty. She knew nothing about that stuff outside of the scientific realm. Thank god for her older brother Aaron. All that aside her boys were just a handful in general. She thanks god every day for keeping her in her right mind else she would have snapped long ago.

Christiana opened her eyes and stared at the ceiling in silence. She looked at her phone and calculated how many minutes she had to just lie there and contemplate life. She had exactly five. She used the first three minutes to mentally go over what she had to do that day. She looked at her phone again, she had two minutes left. She used those to pep talk herself into getting up. By the time she was done she was still nowhere near prepared to get up, but hey that’s being a mom for you.

Walking into the bathroom she started her first step of her mental five step process of getting done in the morning. When you’re as busy as her you need steps to get through the day without just saying it and knocking back a shot.

Step One:   Get yourself ready first. Well that’s partially done. Make-up and hair will have to be done last.

Step Two: Get the boys up.

This is where the challenge came in. C.J. made her way down the hall to youngest son’s room. She opened the door to find him sprawled out on the bed. Legs and blankets thrown every which way like the clothes on the floor. She chuckled to herself before flickering the lights on and off. Despite his haphazard way of sleeping, Jackson was actually a fairly light sleeper. The boy groaned and turned over but she could see one eye slowly open and stare blearily at her.

“Get up sleeping beauty it’s Monday and you got school so up up!”

Jackson groaned loudly but pulled himself out of bed regardless. He stumbled towards the door cutely pouting and mumbling about how he was dropping out cause “this school is for the birds.”

“Wake your brother up will you? I’m going to fix breakfast, you both got 40 minutes, if that.”

“What? Ma, are you trying to get me killed?” Jackson exclaimed from the top of the steps leaning over the railing of the landing.

“I don’t wanna hear it! Go wake him up Jackson.” She said walking towards the kitchen. She could hear a string a muffled curses in Korean coming from the stairs.

“I can clearly hear you! Don’t get popped Jackson!” the back talk promptly stopped.

C.J. quickly went about fixing some eggs and toast for her sons. They’ll have to deal with simplicity this morning because she had an 8:30am meeting with a student so she had to get them to the subway station and then to work. As she was scrapping the eggs onto plates she heard the distinct sound of doors slamming being heard. She rolled her eyes as it could only mean Kyungsoo had pulled himself out of bed. Her eldest was not a morning person by any means. Messing with Kyungsoo in the morning was like trying to wake up Satan himself you needed the whole armor of God and then some.

Said demon child dragged himself into the kitchen in his grey sweats and long sleeved black shirt. He hopped up on the bar stool and promptly laid his head back down on his arms. Christiana placed his plate in front of him and ruffled his hair earning a disgruntled groan.

“Morning to you too, eat so you can go get dressed we got to be out of here before seven.”

“I’m tired, can I just stay home for once?” Kyungsoo asked lifting his head from his arms.

“Do you have a fever? Are you vomiting all over the floor? Is you lower intestine falling out through your hole?” Christiana asked with a straight face.

“No…”

“Then absolutely not. Not my fault you wanted to stay up all night on the phone with Jongin. I told you to take your little fast tail to sleep.”

After a screaming match over the bathroom, two outfit changes, one lost backpack, one shoe change, two lost phones, and three death threats later saw C.J. walking out the door.

“You got ten seconds or I will leave you both here and you can walk to the subway station.”

Before she hit six they were running to the car.

 

Step One and Two: Complete

Step Three: Get To Work Without Committing Vehicular Homicide 

After she dropped the boys off at the train station she punched it into the city to get to campus. The Chicago traffic was the usual slow trip through hell but she somehow made it and managed to find a parking space in the parking garage. She quickly stopped and grabbed herself some coffee and a pop tart. It was too early in the morning for a full breakfast, she had a sensitive stomach that didn’t have time for all that organic stuff the campus was trying to shove on the kids. She had meetings to attend and classes to teach nowhere in there was there time for a break.

 

Step Four: Try To Do the Educating Students Thing

By 12:30 she had taught two classes and had two student meetings. She was at her desk responding to all the emails her coworkers and students sent.

“Ms. James, I couldn’t make it to class, I’m sorry, my printer couldn’t print out the assignment and then my MetroRail card wouldn’t allow me to swipe so I could get on the train this morning. Sorry, can I please turn my assignment in late?”

Christiana stared at the screen blankly and then took a deep breath to calm her annoyance. She needed her students to come up with better lies. Damn, make it more creative, say you got casted to be in the next Marvel movie or something. Jesus help the children, they’re so lost and stupid sometimes. After she was finished answering emails she looked at the clock and decided it was time for a short break. She took off her glasses and leaned back in her chair and closed her eyes for a few minutes.

Step Five: Take a Damn Nap.

 

Meanwhile…

Across town at Central Academy of Arts it was now 1st period lunch. Kyungsoo listened as his best friend Chanyeol rambled on about something to do with his cousin Baekhyun. Those two had been dating for about two years with Baekhyun graduating last year. The older boy was going to college about an hour away now. Too say Chanyeol and Baekhyun were the typical annoying high school couple was an understatement. He began tuning out Chanyeol as he nibbled on his fries becoming less and less interested. He really wasn’t trying to hear the goofy giant talk about the phone he had with his cousin last night. Ew please no, that was family. Looking for a better distraction he pulled his phone out and began playing Candy Crush. He became so caught up in the game he didn’t notice when Hyunsik slid onto the bench next to him until the other was taking his phone from his hands.

“Are you trying to die right now?” he asked with a glare trying to snatch his phone from the taller male.

“I’ve been talking to you for two minutes straight and you weren’t even paying attention, rude.” Hyunsik chastised smiling his infamous eye smile.

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes before pouting cutely “Hyung give me back my phone.” He whined using Korean to soften the other up.

“That may work with Jongin but not with me Soo.” The other stuck his tongue out but placed the phone on the table anyway. He wrapped his arms around the smaller male’s waist before starting to eat his food. The three ate while talking about upcoming projects and the latest school gossip.

“I heard your brother is dating Hyuna now.” Chanyeol mentioned with a bored tone as he scrolled through Instagram.

“He better not be.” Kyungsoo scrunched up his nose in distaste.

“Better not be what?”

Then group looked up to see Jackson come in followed by Jongin. They were dressed in workout clothes showing that they just got out of dance class. Jackson sat down next to Chanyeol. Jongin sat on the other side of Kyungsoo promptly pulling the older male closer to him causing Hyunsik to roll his eyes, but none the less remove his arm.

“What are you two doing here? Don’t sophomores have 2nd period lunch?” Hyunsik asked looking at Jackson and Jongin. Jackson shrugged before looking at his brother who was currently trying to keep Jongin from taking his fries.

“Now what was this about ‘I better not be’ Soo?”

“I said you better not be dating Hyuna.” Kyungsoo said turning to look at Jackson with an unamused expression. Jackson scoffed and rolled his eyes.

“If I want to date her that’s my business, I don’t need your approval.”

“, the hell you don’t. She may not be that bad, and even that part is debatable, but she doesn’t hang with the right crowd.” The elder sibling explained. He knew Jackson wasn’t going to listen to him, but he was still going to make his opinions towards the whole situation known.

“She really isn’t that bad Soo, you barely know the girl.” Jongin commented.

“Hush and look pretty.” Kyungsoo shot back only to jump when Jongin poked him in the side in retaliation.

“Anyway, moving on. Have you guys heard about the party going on this weekend?” Jongin asked the group.

“You talking about Lana’s party? Yeah Tao told me about it in math. I might go, I haven’t decided yet.” Chanyeol said looking up from his phone.

“I’m going to go.” Jongin said only to get quiet when he saw his smaller boyfriend fix him with a glare.

“I mean…did you want to go babe?” he corrected.

“in whipped ” Jackson snickered causing Hyunsik to bust out cackling.

“I don’t know why you over there laughing looking like Brock from Pokemon.” Jongin shot back at the elder.

“To answer your question Jongin, yes I’m going.” Kyungsoo cut in before either boy could retaliate.

“Which means I’m going too.” Said Jackson as he stood up and grabbed his backpack. “Come on Jongin we need to get to history.” With that the other two left.

“You know I heard there weren’t just going to be CAA High kids there. I heard some other people from the Noe School of Art were gonna be there.” Hyunsik said.

“Oh isn’t that just lovely.” Kyungsoo said rolling his eyes.

“Maybe he won’t be there though and even if he is I doubt he’ll start anything.” Chanyeol commented.

“Let’s hope, I’m not in the mood to drag anyone this week.” the youngest said leaning his head on his palm and sighing.

“Key words ‘this week’” Hyunsik chuckled.  

 

 


 So here's the first chapter. I know it's not much but I was more trying to introduce the characters and their personalities for those who aren't familiar with this little ficitional universe. The chapters will get longer as the story moves on and more things start to happen I promise. For those who are curious the ages and grade levels are:

Chanyeol, Huynsik, Kyungsoo- Juniors (16-17) 

Jackson, Jongin- Sophomores (15-16)

 

Other idols will make appearances later on. Anyway I plan to have chapter two out by next week, if all goes according to plan.

Till then, bye~

 

P.S/ Is anyone else excited for the Lee Hi/Suhyun sub-unit with Bobby cause I'm so pumped and just, ACK!! *bounces around*