three

voodoo doll

It took hours for Hongbin to arrive at the place because he was lost. The four best friends decided to meet at Hakyeon's favourite cafe, Jekyll&Hyde. The cafe was situated near the other's home but since Hongbin lived the farthest, he had to ask strangers just for the location of a cafe. Some said it was a popular cafe in that area but Hongbin would scoff and mumble, "It's not well-known if I don't know."

Finally Hongbin set foot in the cafe and was greeted with waves by his mates, asking him to come to their table. Hongbin couldn't help but smile and walked fast to their table. One thing Hakyeon liked about this cafe was that it was a Hyde&Jekyll theme, and that the place was where he always went to after Wonshik's death. He found peace there. The waiter, a tall man who goes by the name Sungjae, came and took their orders.

"It's nice seeing you here with your friends." Sungjae smiled to Hakyeon.

Sungjae walked away and came back after a few minutes, with their orders. Now, everyone turned their attention to Hongbin who was panting, subtly, but in an overall quiet cafe, the breathing was the loudest sound. Hongbin inhaled deeply, putting his hand up, keeping his friends from asking any questions. After a few more seconds, Hongbin's breathing was back to normal.

"I bumped into that guy again, he really seemed like a robot, very expressionless," Hongbin spoke up when his friends seemed like they didn't have any interesting questions to ask, "but I heard his voice. It was soft, and really sweet."

Hakyeon felt a little possesive, but he calms his heart down, he has no right to feel that way. He doesn't even know the guy, he just know that he was oddly familiar. Hongbin was smiling, it clenches Hakyeon's heart seeing his bestfriend so happy, was it jealousy? Couldn't be, right? The others were now teasing Hongbin, making Hongbin a blushing mess, gulping down his frappe to cool his face. Hakyeon wasn't in the mood to encourage Hongbin in knowing that guy but he keeps a smile, not wanting to deflate the good atmosphere.

It took them another twenty minutes in the cafe, sharing what their day was like and new gossips. So, apparently, Jinyoung got a boyfriend two days ago, Hongbin has eyes on that brunette and Minhyuk's relationship is still going strong but Hakyeon? Hakyeon was still in the single zone.

"Don't fret, Yeon. Take your time." Jinyoung pats the other's shoulder.

In their group of friends, only Jinyoung knows about Wonshik, Hakyeon's soulmate, or so he thought. Hakyeon smiled a grateful smile. Then, they all parted ways.


"Have you ever thought about what the future would bring us?" Hakyeon asks, staring at the stars that painted the skies, brightening the night.

Wonshik shifted to rest on his side, looking fondly at Hakyeon, "Not really, but I feel like you and I can't be separated."

The two smiled, staring at each other now. Young Hakyeon has always believed that Wonshik and him were meant to be. Not long after that conversation, Wonshik came back with a voodoo doll, all stiched up, telling Hakyeon that it's his new soulmate. Wonshik assures that he isn't leaving Hakyeon but he did, at least physically.

Hakyeon was trembling, a crying mess as he sees his bestfriend lying lifelessly, face blue, eyes closed. Hakyeon was scared, Wonshik was no longer with him. It took Hakyeon a few weeks, almost to a month, to move on from Wonshik. While moving on, Hakyeon has paid a lot of attention to the voodoo doll Wonshik left him. He dresses the doll, pampers the doll, eventually hugging it to sleep.

As Hakyeon grew up, he was completely over the loss of Wonshik. He still visits Wonshik grave on every death day anniversary. He still brings Wonshik his favourite flowers. Hakyeon forgets the voodoo doll, placing it on his shelf, eventually keeping it in a box filled with memories of him and Wonshik. Hakyeon was sure the voodoo doll meant nothing but just a toy to let Hakyeon remember Wonshik, the whole 'soulmate' thing was bull.

But what if it isn't as bull as Hakyeon thinks it is?