Chapter 1

Not Alone

I remember it. I was five. I walked back to my grandpa after I got tired of playing. He used to be sitting alone in a bench nearby, waiting for me until I tired myself out and ready to go home. But grandpa wasn’t there at that time. I began to panic and I run around the park just to see my grandpa crouching down, shushing a little crying boy. And that is, the first time I saw him.

“Grandpa, I thought I lost you!” the boy stop crying for a moment and look at me with his watery eyes and red cheeks. My grandpa turned around and smiled at me.

“No, Minnie. Look who I met, he got lost. Can you accompany him for a moment? I’ll try to find his parent”

“Yes I can, but Grandpa, can you buy me ice cream while I wait? Please?”

“Okay. I’ll buy it for you two. Sit on that bench, be good. I can trust him to you right?”

“Aye aye sir! I’m a big boy and I’ll help the one in need!” I saluted my grandpa. He chuckled and walk to the police station.

It wasn’t far from the park. Well, our neighborhood was not that big. All the people there know each other, including me and my grandpa. I walked to that boy and he just kept quiet.

“Come with me. Grandpa told us to sit on that bench. Come on.” I took his hand and walked him to the bench.

The boy just kept quiet while sniffling. I didn’t know what to do. The only thing I could think of was giving him tissue. And I did.

“Why do you have tissue?” he said as he wiped his runny nose.

“Eh? Emm.. Well.. Is it wrong to have tissue?”

“No.. But boys usually don’t bring tissue.”

“But I am a boy and I bring tissue everywhere. I should be clean when I get home. Don’t you think it’s good to keep your hands clean?”

“It’s good I think.”

“How you get lost anyway?”

“My balloon flew away, so I chased it. But when I turned around, my Mama was not there anymore and I don’t know where am I.” he started to cry again.

“Stop crying please.. Oh, my name is Minseok. What’s yours?”

“But your grandpa called you Minnie.”

“Only grandpa calls me that name.”

“Can I call you like that too? It’s easier than Mingseok.”

“I guess so.. But I don’t know what to call you.”

“Lulu”

“Lulu? It sounds like a girl”

“But my nanny always call me that.”

“Okay then.. Lulu..” I said with a full grin even though I didn’t know what nanny is.

 

After waited for a moment, grandpa was back with two ice creams for us. He let us savored the sweet thing first before going home. Luhan was with us all the time. When we were home, I took out my color pencils and coloring books. I gave one to Luhan so he has something to do.

“What are you doing Minnie?” he stopped coloring his chicken and looked at my drawing.

“Teacher told me to draw my house.”

“Who are there in front of your house?”

“Oh, this is me and grandpa of course.”

“Where are your mama and papa?”

“My mom is in heaven. That was what Grandpa told me.”

“Where is heaven?”

“I don’t know. But grandpa told me that it is a good place. Only good people can be there. I imagine it has a lot of pudding and chocolate. Pudding and chocolate are good. And ice cream too!” I grinned.

“And your dad?”

“Emm.. He is in somewhere far. He is busy working. Grandpa told me to study and be a great man, so one day if I meet him, he will be proud of me.”

“One day? You never met him?”

“No. I never meet my parent. But I have grandpa, so it’s okay.”

I finished my drawing when the door bell rang. There was this man, with all black suit, he said he want to bring Lulu back and thanked us for keeping Lulu safe. He even pulled out some money for my grandpa, but of course grandpa didn’t take it. He called Lulu young master. Is Lulu’s real name young master? Lulu bowed and thanked me and my grandpa before he walked away with that tall man.

“Oh wait Mr. Lee” Lulu told that man, turned back and ran to me.

“Did you left anything?” I asked.

“No. Emm.. Actually, can you help me with something?”

“What?”

“My mama told me to never forget people’s kindness. So, can you tell me the address of this house? I’ll come here one day when I grow up.”

“Okay, wait here.” I ran back to the living room, grabbed a paper and the green color pencil. I wrote our address and gave it to Luhan.

“I’ll keep it. Thank you Minnie. Thank you Grandpa. I’m going.” He bowed for the last time and left. He went in to the black car, rolled down the window and waved to us.

“I thought you don’t like to be called Minnie..”

“But you still call me Minnie, grandpa..”