iii.

Just a Little Short of Paradise

Sungmin was sitting on the chair in front of Kyuhyun’s desk as the younger boy dressed for school after their weekend together. Kyuhyun’s moves were groggy and slow, and Sungmin could tell he didn’t want to part.

“I’m always there,” he reassured him. “All you have to do is need me there, and I’ll be there.” Kyuhyun looked at Sungmin, and they spent a moment just staring at each other, an unexplainable look in Kyuhyun’s eyes.

“I love you,” Kyuhyun whispered, moving close to pull Sungmin into a hug. Sungmin wrapped his arms around his waist in response and smiled weakly.

“I love you, too. You know that.”

They parted, Kyuhyun’s hand lingering on his lover’s wrist as he exited the room. Sungmin watched him go, a sad look lingering in eyes before he vanished.

-

All it took was one more push to have Kyuhyun falling onto the ground, his books scattering all around him. The boys snickered and walked away, one spitting beside Kyuhyun’s face as he did.

Kyuhyun was slowly sitting up when a familiar face blurred his vision. “Want some help?” a soft, cheery voice asked. Kyuhyun blinked.

“Sungmin,” he said, a smile of relief washing over him. He took the hand, and was surprised by how strong it was, but it was a nice warmth in comparison to the cold weather.

“Yeah…” The boy looked curious. “How’d you know my name?”

“What do you mean?” Kyuhyun asked, frowning. “How could I not know you, Sungmin?” He moved to pick up his books, and Sungmin helped with a confused look still on his face.

“Well, I don’t know your name,” he explained. “And we haven’t met, I think. Unless you go to SM’s dance academy down the road, then maybe we have.” Kyuhyun almost laughed at the thought of dancing.

“No, I don’t. But…” He was confused as well now. The boy looked exactly like his Sungmin, down to the height and hair-style. But… he wasn’t. “I-I should go now,” he finally said, frowning. He turned to leave, but Sungmin grabbed his arm, and it almost made Kyuhyun jump in surprise. It was a different feel from his Sungmin’s touch.

“What’s your name?” Sungmin asked, staring at the stranger curiously.

“Kyuhyun,” he mumbled. “And I have to go, so if you could let me go…”

Sungmin dropped his arm, smiling sheepishly. “Sorry. Well, I’ll see you around, hopefully, Kyuhyun.”  Kyuhyun could only nod numbly before stumbling off, ignoring the sharp pain in his ankle as he accidentally twist it. All he wanted to do was get home and see Sungmin – his Sungmin, not some boy who looked a lot like him with his name and face and everything else except he was actually real.

He burst into the room, panting from holding so many books and walking so fast. Sungmin appeared quickly, his eyes wide and innocent as he looked at the shocked Kyuhyun.

“I-“

“Hello, Kyuhyun,” Sungmin said calmly, smiling. “How was school?” But he knew everything, and he always would.

“You… I met Sungmin,” he finally said, still staring at Sungmin.

“I know,” he replied calmly, standing up to grab Kyuhyun’s arm and pull him towards the bed so they both were sitting.

“But… that’s impossible. You’re not real; you’re a figment of my imagination.” Sungmin smiled a bit and leaned back on his elbows, looking up at the dull ceiling.

“Am I really not real?” he finally asked after a moment.

Kyuhyun stared incredulously at him. “Of course you are! I-I made you… in a way.”

Sungmin didn’t reply and leaned back even further. After Kyuhyun just staring at him while Sungmin closed his eyes, he looked back at Kyuhyun and said, “You should talk to Sungmin some more, though. Perhaps it was Fate that you two met.” He tilted his head, and Kyuhyun frowned.

“I don’t know why I’d need him if I have you,” Kyuhyun said, pulling Sungmin closer and burying his face in his lover’s hair. “I only need you. No one else.”  

Sungmin smiled. “I know.” The words resounded through the room as the two laid there, unmoving.