i.

Just a Little Short of Paradise

Kyuhyun dumped his backpack on the floor of his bedroom after entering. An exhausted look on his face told Sungmin that he had suffered from a long day at school – not that Sungmin needed to even look at Kyuhyun to know, though.

“Are you okay?” he murmured, practically floating towards Kyuhyun to plant a kiss on his cheek. “You should rest.”

Kyuhyun glanced at Sungmin and his eyes softened. “I’m fine,” he murmured back softly, taking Sungmin’s hands that were never warm or cold and squeezing them softly. “I just wish I could take you to school with me.”

Sungmin smiled softly, leading him to the bed where Kyuhyun fell with a loud thump and Sungmin noiselessly sat on. “You could,” he reminded him, his voice so soft, it was as if it wasn’t even there. “But you don’t want to.”

“They can’t see you,” he said, but it was more to himself than to Sungmin.

“But you’re still afraid,” Sungmin replied knowingly. Sungmin always knew what to say, what to do, and when to do it. Whether it was because Kyuhyun wished for someone to do that, or because Sungmin was part of Kyuhyun, he didn’t know.

“They wouldn’t let me live it down,” Kyuhyun whispered. “I… I can’t.” His voice faltered as he spoke and Sungmin just ran his fingers through his hair quietly.

“That’s okay,” Sungmin said, his voice calm and supportive. “I never asked you to. I like staying here, anyway. Sometimes I go online and listen to music. Music is so pretty, Kyuhyun.” Because Sungmin was the ideal man for Kyuhyun, he too shared the love for music Kyuhyun harbored secretly. Sometimes, Sungmin would ask Kyuhyun to sing for him, and Kyuhyun would do it, softly and quietly so no one else could hear. Then Sungmin would fall asleep, and Kyuhyun would watch him, his heart aching because he knew no one else could see the beauty he created.

“Do you want to go out?” Kyuhyun asked, staring at Sungmin as he stared out the window longingly. Sungmin didn’t return the look as he continued watching the scenery outside unfold, the rain softly hitting the ground.

“It’s raining,” was all he said.

Kyuhyun stood up and dragged Sungmin along with him, past the doors, and outside where no cars passed by. He stood there, holding onto Sungmin’s hand tightly as if he might run off. Sungmin stands there, and a small smile enters his features. The rain doesn’t seem to touch him, but when Kyuhyun Sungmin’s cheek, there’s moisture there.

“You’re perfect.”

Sungmin smiled. “That’s because you made me this way.”

The two walked down the street, hand-in-hand. Kyuhyun’s steps made small splashes each time, and his jacket continued to get soaked as did his hair. Sungmin’s steps made no sound, and he stayed completely dry.

They continued their walk until Kyuhyun was called home. As soon as he stepped foot into the house, Sungmin disappeared and Kyuhyun was alone again.

“You’re soaking!” his mother exclaimed, hurriedly grabbing a towel.

“What were you thinking?” his father demanded. “Do you want to get sick and miss out on school?” He scowled as he turned away towards the kitchen, his mother entering the room with the gray towel.

“Sorry,” he mumbled, drying his hair. “I just wanted to take a walk.”

“In the rain?” she asked, worry in her eyes. “Kyuhyun, what’s wrong? You’re always acting so distant these days, and it’s got me scared for you.”

“Why would you be scared, mom?” Kyuhyun asked softly, his voice almost devoid of any emotion. It sent chills down Mrs. Cho’s back as she stared into her son’s eyes.

“I-I don’t know,” she finally stammered. There was something there that frightened her, but she couldn’t put a finger on it. “Just wash up and come to dinner, okay?” Kyuhyun nodded and walked off, his mother watching, concerned.

“She only wants the best for you,” Sungmin’s voice appeared once more beside Kyuhyun as he walked to the bathroom. Kyuhyun only mumbled an incoherent answer as he the water, Sungmin sitting on the closed-toilet patiently as Kyuhyun stripped. “You should try harder to talk to her.”

“They won’t understand,” Kyuhyun replied softly, stepping into the warm shower, his muscles tensing then relaxing. He stood there for a minute, just letting the heat calm him down.

“Because you won’t let them.” Sungmin’s voice had gotten sadder, and Kyuhyun wondered when the figment of his imagination started growing thoughts unlike his own. It scared him a bit.

Kyuhyun turned to look at Sungmin but he was gone. He finished up his shower quickly after that, throwing on sweats, then made his way to the dinner table where his parents and older sister were eating mutely at.

He was eating when Sungmin appeared again, dressed in his sleeping attire. He stood beside Kyuhyun, watching as they ate quietly.

“This isn’t a family,” was all Sungmin said. Kyuhyun agreed silently.