Five

Falling with the Rain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

F U T U R E

 

 

 

He could hear the birds chirping outside, a car honking somewhere and the loud chatter that is no doubt taking place in the yard but Donghae wants nothing but to fall back to sleep. He shuts the noises out, sighs, wrapping the comforter closer to his body and tries to go back to sleep.

He doesn’t know how long had it been, maybe a minute or much longer, when he feels the lightest of touches against his cheek. Like a feather caressing his face, slow and light. Against his will, he cracks an eye open. Sunlight falls over the walls in thin streaks caused by the blinds, and he fights the urge to close his eyes, but the touch is still there, coaxing him to reality.

‘Morning.’ Is the word that sobers him up. He smiles, crooked and still tired before he mumbles the same word back. Eunhyuk smiles back, radiant and awake. The comforter is being yanked away from him, making him shiver as he wraps his arms around his torso.

‘Eunhyukie, it’s barely, what nine? Why are you this mean each morning?’ he says, stifling a yawn. The mattress under him shakes as said person shuffles closer until he’s brushing the brunette strand away from his sleepy eyes.

‘Because, I bet you forgot that today I have to be in Seoraksan in about five hours, which gives you-‘

‘It was today?’ He was suddenly up, chocolate orbs wide and alert as he stared with clear shock at the once again white haired Eunhyuk, who nodded with a small smile. ‘But, but-‘

‘I know, you forgot and before that you were busy and before that you were.. even busier, but it’s alright, you won’t even notice that I’m gone.’ The brunette looks a little taken aback, and he shakes his head, the small smile that makes Donghae’s chest tingle still there. ‘Ok, you’ll notice, of course you will.’ He says, rolling his eyes as he lightly hits Donghae’s shin beside him.

Donghae sighs and looks down into his lap, feeling really frustrated because he really forgot, and when he came home last night he immediately fell into their bed and fell asleep. He doesn’t even remember greeting Eunhyuk who was probably brushing his teeth at the time, it makes him feel guilty. Then there’s a hand covering his own, as cool as it always was, making him lift his head to look at the white haired.

Eunhyuk offers him an understanding gaze, his hand tightening around his own, and just like always it makes him feel lighter, like his worries are gone, like air is suddenly scented with vibrant flowers.

He nods his head, and Donghae knows he’s forgiven, again.

‘I made breakfast!’ Eunhyuk says, his tone nothing but cheerful. Donghae groans.

‘Oh god, why! I told you not to go anywhere near-‘

‘I know but it doesn’t hurt to try, right? You can’t get better without attempting, Hae.’ Yeah, true but not when attempting means setting the fire alarm, Donghae thinks.

Eunhyuk’s breakfast, thankfully, consisted of reheated soup, some meat from yesterday, and two bowls of overcooked rice. Donghae chuckles when he finds himself actually thankful that he didn’t actually cook something.

In the relatively long two years they’ve lived together, Donghae now knows to never let Eunhyuk make them food. It ends with two scenarios, either weird concoctions or burnt food and both are of course inedible. Eunhyuk catches him chuckling and raises his hand to chuck his spoon at him, but knocks the glass of orange juice, which have him abruptly standing, not to stain his pants.

Donghae laughs out loud, and receives a smack in the head. ‘This is your fault!’ Eunhyuk yells as he wipes the floor.

‘Leave it, Hyukie and come eat.’ he retorts, his chuckles slowly dying, but said guy only wipes the white table top from the orange stain. ‘Seriously, I still have a meeting at 11, and right now I want us to have breakfast together.’

Eunhyuk throws the rag into the sink before he’s back, sitting in front of him at the high table, smile small but always there. He also always catches him peeking at him.

Donghae doesn’t think much before standing and bending over the small distance between them, and when a surprised Eunhyuk opens his mouth to ask, his lips softly caress the thick ones of the white haired. He lingers a little, hoping to remember their softness and to engrave the feelings rushing into his whole being into his head. For later, when Eunhyuk is miles away, saving a rare plant with at least eight characters name. His heart pounding in his chest, and his face feels hot. It’s always the same, he thinks.

No matter how many kisses they shared, it’s always feels like it’s the first. Excitement, dizziness and yearning coursing through his veins. His breath is always stolen, his heart is of course racing and Eunhyuk is of course beaming in happiness.

When their tummies are full, and the few utensils they used are left to dry, Donghae helps the white haired to pack a light suitcase. But Eunhyuk rolls his eyes, muttering of how he barely needs clothes because he can take the cold without even being the slightest bit affected. Donghae knows but he still feels a bit worried.

‘I don’t want you sick.’

‘I don’t get sick, you do.’

He really does. Donghae is the one who gets a cold too easily. That night he did, he woke up with a splitting migraine and Eunhyuk huddled too close to him, apparently lured by the abnormal heat his body was producing. Donghae remembers it like yesterday.

Eunhyuk didn’t know what was different except that he was overly warm and comforting. Donghae smiles at the memory, maybe it’s like how opposites attract, the warmth of his body always made Eunhyuk cuddle him in his sleep, face mashed into his neck. The lilac haired then (he secretly misses that color) had apologized over and over for causing  him to be sick, but Donghae and on impulse only grabbed him by the back on his neck and kissed him before falling back into feverish sleep. When he woke up, Eunhyuk was pressed into him his cool skin acting like compress against his own heating one.

‘What are you thinking of?’ Eunhyuk asks, and the brunette finds him emerging from their closet with a pajama top that looks suspiciously like his own, maybe it is.

‘Someone.’ He shrugs, Eunhyuk places the neatly rolled sweater into his bag, huffing when he notices a shirt Donghae stuffed in hurriedly. In less than a seco

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter