Two

Falling with the Rain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

U N E X P L A I N A B L E

 

 

 

Days passed quickly, and Donghae found himself trying to recall his encounter with that boy, but couldn't remember but the fact that he met him on the first rain of the season, and that he had white locks splayed over his forehead. It didn't rain ever since that day. Donghae had his camera ready almost every day, and had already decided where he'd go next time to capture the downpour but after few days, he gave up and went back to shooting pedestrians or shops windows.

'Looks like it might rain soon.' Kyuhyun said, successfully bringing him back from his thoughts. His head snapped from where he was surfing the internet on his phone. He looked up to the sky, and found it in a nice shade of blue, with a couple of clouds hanging there, and even with their greyish shade it didn’t seem that it would rain soon. It had been like this all week long.

His friend snorted at his hopeful reaction, 'You're mean, Kyu.' the said raven haired shrugged, ignoring his grumbling.

'Sungmin and I are going to hang out at his place later. Would you like to come too? We'll watch movies and play games.' Kyuhyun said, his tone a little persuasive as his eyes hopefully peered into the chocolate orbs.

'Depends.' The brunette said, thinking that he'd go if nothing changed and the sky remained this clear. He didn't dislike the sunny weather, really, but he preferred the cold blanket that'll fall on the city while rain tapped over rooftops and streets, creating the most sophisticated melody.

Kyuhyun seemed satisfied with the one word answer, nodding his head before tuning into a conversation happening somewhere around them. Donghae took a deep breath and got up deciding to head to the school's garden.

As he making his way through the relatively empty hallways and getting stopped by Siwon to chat a little, he finally got to head to his destinations and it was like as if luck was on his side, because once he stepped from the hallway into the open greens something moist splashed into his nose.

The brunette looked up and another tiny drop fell, splattering agsinst his cheek, tingling for some reason and making his lips curl into a small smile as he made his way to a wooden bench. His palms were flat against the wooden planks as his head tipped backwards and stared to the darker skies through the tiny gaps the green leaves made here and there.

It was serene and the air soon begun to smell like wet soil and plants. It reminded him of the boy a week and something ago, and he wondered why.

 

-

 

Meals with his family were as eventless as they always were, which was good because it meant all was well. Donghwa stole a piece of chicken straight from his plate which made him scowl at the childish behaviour for few minutes, and for their parents to shake their head lightly but other than that, nothing much happened.

Donghae sometimes wonder if this all to it. If life was nothing more than this, the repetitive routine over and over, and that he had to find happiness and contentment in the folds of it. Although, in some corner in his mind he disagreed. That there was more, something more profound and utterly beautiful. But what was is and when would it make itself seen? Those thought often the young brunette lay wide awake in his bed, mind exhausted but curious and hopeful.

It made him feel a little silly. He was barely eighteen but was wondering about what is life about. Or was it normal? He wasn’t sure and wasn't going to ask anyone, he was weird enough in the eyes of his classmates and he didn't want to Kyuhyun, Siwon, or Sungmin agreeing to his classmates. Otherwise he'd be a complete outcast.

He laid in bed for some time, trying to will his mind from wandering to how it'd be if that was the case. Even when he had a small circle of friends, he mostly felt lonely, so it'd be scary if no one was around him. His eyes fluttered shut after few minutes of struggling with himself, and soon he was drifting to the warmth of his dreams, forgetting how much of an outcast he was before Kyuhyun and Siwon transferred to his school 3 years ago. He was used to being alone, and had struggled for a while to get used to having them around.

He woke up abruptly some hours later. His eyes darted from one corner to the other and finally landed on the clock that indicated it was almost 2 am. Donghae rubbed his tired eyes as he moved to shut the reason why he woke up at this late hour of the night. His room's window was wide ajar and it seemed like a storm was approaching rapidly. Chilly air blasted through the window and ruffled his hair, making shiver rack his frame, and for his arms to wrap around his body subconsciously. Just as he made it to close the window lighting flashed, then thunder roared. But that was not what made him stand frozen with his hand clutching the window's handle tightly.

It was the figure standing not so far away from his house. The same boy with the white hair. He was standing there again, like it wasn't way past midnight or it wasn't violently storming outside.

What is he thinking?

He couldn't stand still and watch this boy freeze to death while he had his covers and blanket to warm him up. Donghae quietly made his way downstairs, lower lip tucked between his teeth as he made sure that he didn't make any sounds to wake his parents up.

He quickly put a rain coat over his pyjama and got into his boots, picked an umbrella before unlocking the front door and dashing into where the drenched boy was standing.

'What are you doing?' he asked once he was able to spread the colourful umbrella over both of their heads, making the boy turn to glance at him with clear surprise in his eyes, and just like the last week, he was met with silence. 'You know it’s past midnight and you can't just stand here! You'll get sick!' Donghae's voice went a little bit higher as the wind howled. The boy stared at him, his almond eyes as if searching within his own and Donghae held the eye contact feeling that thing he felt in his stomach from the first time they met return.

Something was shimmering in his chest, and he wasn't going to go to sleep without knowing that the other is dry and warm. Donghae hesitated a moment before grapping into the unsuspecting boy's wrist wanting to pull him to his house, only to flinch once his warm fingers laced around what seemed to be ice. 'You're freezing!'

The white haired eyebrows twitched in a crease for a moment before he was looking at where Donghae had a firm grasp on his wrist. The brunette figured that there was no resistance and started heading home, dragging the other behind him. 'I need you to be quiet for a bit, okay? My parents and brother are sleeping and if they knew about this they'd get really pissed.' he whispered once they reached the front door.

Surprisingly, he received a nod. After taking his boots and raincoat off and shutting the door as softly as he could, he began pulling the other up the stairs, pausing only twice to look behind him, where the boy followed looking awfully like a lost kid.

Donghae sighed to himself as he shut the door to his room close, with his back pressed to the door and watched as the drenched boy stood in the middle of his room, clueless. There was a thing about this person in front of him, something that made Donghae do all of this. Sneaking in a stranger who was standing under the pouring rain at 2 am was crazy and dangerous, but here he is.

He pushed himself from the door and inched closer to the white haired. 'I guess this is where you'll spend the night, is that alright? I'll run the shower and get you some dry clothes.' He didn't receive a nod but at the same time didn't get any objections, so he made his way into the adjoined bathroom and started filling the tub with warm to hot water. It was only right now he was very grateful that he had a bathroom to his own, otherwise it'd be so hard to help this nameless person. When he deemed the water enough he walked into his room and was met by the sight of white haired boy holding into his precious camera.

'Hey! Don’t touch that!'

He didn't mean to scare him, but the poor drenched boy visibly cringed as he hurriedly put the gadget on the study desk where it was. Donghae immediately felt bad as the round eyes turned to peer at him. 'S-sorry.'

The brunette didn't know if he should be glad that the other spoke, or not to because the boy seemed suddenly so small. He smiled warmly to show that he didn't mean to startle him, 'It's alright. I didn't mean to scare you. I'm Donghae by the way.'

'Donghae?' the boy asked, his head tilting to the side in curiosity, the hair at the back of his head bouncing with the sudden movement while the strands in the front were still stuck to his forehead.

'Yes, what's your name?'

For some reason the other seemed to be thinking. Donghae hoped he wasn't. 'Eunhyuk.' The name was foreign to his ears, he had never heard of someone called Eunhyuk. It had a nice ring to it though. Eunhyuk.

'Alright Eunhyuk, you can shower now. Towels are beside the sink. I'll get you something to wear.'

Eunhyuk nodded before he slowly made his way to the bathroom. Donghae watched as the boy walked into the bathroom without shutting the door behind him, and seconds later he heard articles of wet clothes smacking into the ceramic floors. It was his cue to slowly and quietly make his way downstairs to the kitchen to get the freezing Eunhyuk something warm to drink. He wished Eunhyuk didn't get sick already, because then he'd have to lie to his parents, he figured he'd tell them something about the white haired parents being away.

His thoughts shocked him as he stood there in the dark waiting for the water to boil. He found himself willing to lie to his parents for the sake of a boy he only met twice and the second time was right now, but at the same time he found it somehow alright. His parents wouldn't let Eunhyuk stay if they knew he was a stranger, and he wasn't going to let the boy be out in the cold again.

Donghae didn't like it when people who needed help didn't receive any, and since he can help, he would happily do so. Plus, he found himself wanting to help Eunhyuk. His only reason was that thing Eunhyuk had a thing about him. The different feeling he gave when being next to him, that feeling that Donghae found himself being to. A sigh passed his lips. He wondered why he was never able to understand or explain what he felt.

Donghae poured the water over the bag of fruit flavoured tea, added sugar to it and pulled a pack of cookies before he went to his room again. Placing the small tray on his desk, he sat on his bed, waiting for Eunhyuk

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter