One

Mr. Stranger

 

 

The moment the clock's hands hit 6 o'clock (in the evening), happy hour begins. Spot lights with different colors starts to go wild and Music starts to play with the magical hands of DJ Chanyeol and DJ Sehun. People starts to come inside the bar to have fun and forget about their worries. Some are with their friends (usually those rebellious highschool kids) and some with their one night stands. The Chinese bartender- Lay- starts to do his tricks to attracts girls and his customers.

 

On the right corner of the bar, you can see four tables full of customers and on the left, you can see four tables waiting to be filled. The dance floor is placed on the center and infront of it is where the DJs stays. There are customers that are already swinging their bodies and there are those who keeps their body tangled to another one. For Chanyeol, Sehun, Lay, and the rest of the staffs, (even the customers) this is just another normal day. Until someone entered the bar.

 

He wears skinny jeans and a plain white shirt that seems too large for him. With his eyeliner, his eyes that once look like a puppy's became an eyecatching one. It's the first time he came in to that bar after his break- up with his girlfriend. Without knowing where to go, he sat on one of the stools infront of the bartender's place.

 

"You're new here aren't you?" the bartender asked.

"Uhhh... yes..." he replied while looking for something he can drink.

"I'm Lay. Nice to meet you." the bartender greeted while flashing a smile to the new customer.

"I'm... I'm going to order a bottle of soju." he replied not saying his identity.

"Oh... it's the first time someone ordered for a soju..." "We don't really sell soju here but I think I have put some here... just wait a minute Mr... eyeliner..." Lay said while chuckling softly.

"Mr. Eyeliner?" the new customer asked in curiosity.

"Yes... since You didn't told me your name, I'll call you that and your eyes caught my attention so..." Lay replied while looking for the box of sojus that they have kept since yesterday.

"Oh... I found it already...Here..." After giving one bottle of soju, the bartender grabbed a small glass and tossed it to their new customer.

 

As the time pass by, sober customers are already leaving the bar. The happy hours are also nearing to its end but one person is still on his seat- it's the new customer, Mr. Eyeliner as Lay named him. Sehun already left after some time and the staffs are already starting to clean. When Chanyeol is about to grab his bag, Lay went to him and said something.

 

"Chanyeol- ah, can you help me? Ther'e this new customer who drank five bottles of soju and is now sleeping in one of our stools infront of my place. I don't know what to do." the bartender said.

"But..."

"Please Chanyeol, I'm already going to be late for my night shift in the 7/11 shop."

"Uhhmm..."

"Please..." Lay pleaded again.

"Okay... but..."

"Thank you Chanyeol- ah." Without waiting for Chanyeol's words to end, Lay already ran out of the bar.

 

Chanyeol found himself standing beside their new customer whose eyeliner is already washed away and lips are a bit agape while sleeping but Chanyeol noticed something- the boy is now frowning and maybe it's the tears rolling in his cheeks that washed his eyeliners away. With that, the 23- year old DJ, poked the drunk new customer in his right cheek.

"Excuse me... mister but we're already closing..."

"Ah.. no..."

"Sir..."

"Just... leave me alone..." and the new customer slapped away Chanyeol's hand.

Still taken aback, Chanyeol tried again but the boy is not moving anymore.

"Chanyeol! we're already closing. Just take that boy with you." one of the staff adviced the DJ.

Inside his car Chanyeol thought hard on what to do with the person sleeping in his passenger's seat on the back. He tried to look for the boy's wallet and it's phone but Chanyeol only found a low battery Samsung phone on one of it's pocket. After fifteen minutes of thinking, Chanyeol already decided to take home the boy in his apartment.

He looked on his watch and it's already nearing 12:30. 'Jongin is probably sleeping, I guess. I'll just tell him later when the sun comes up.' Chanyeol thought to himself as he tried to balance his walking without waking up the boy he's piggybacking right now.

"He's heavier than I thought." Chanyeol quietly put down the boy in one of their couch and walk to his room to get a pillow and blanket. After he came back, he saw the boy crying again while sleeping. He gently put the boy's head on top of the pillow and spread the blanket to cover the boy's shivering body. Although it's not that winter yet, you can already feel the cold breeze. Chanyeol looked at the boy intently and said

"I don't even know why I'm letting a stranger stay here at our place." "but I can sense that you're lonley, so maybe our home can give you at least warmth."

Chanyeol already washed up and before taking his rest, he made sure that the boy is still sleeping on the living room and he turned off the lights already.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"Hyung! Hyung! Yah hyung wake up!!" Jongin shakes his brother's body until he finally wakes up.

"What?? I'm still sleepy..." Chanyeol turned his back to his younger brother and tried to sleep again.

"Hyung, who's that boy sleeping in our couch??" Jongin asked worried and confused.

"Boy??" As soon as Chanyeol remembered, he opened his eyes and immediately stood up.

 

"Hyung, who is he?" Jongin asked again while trailing his older brother.

"I don't really know. He's just our new customer that drank five bottles of soju last night." Chanyeol replied.

"You're letting a stranger to stay in our house??"

"Uhhhmmm..."

"Hyung!"

"Sshhhh... you might disturb him."

"But he's not even your friend...and..."

"yes he's not but maybe we can befriend him"

Jongin looks really confused with what his hyung told him.

"I think he's lonely and I also don't know any information about him so I decided to take him home since I'm already tired from work."

"But..."

"Jongin just... okay, once he woke up, I'll ask any information about him and drive him where  he really belongs. After that we can forget what happened. If that's what you want, okay then. For now, prepare yourself because you still have an audition right??"

"Ahh... yes about the audition... I'm gonna prepare now..." with that, Jongin already ate his breakfast that Chanyeol cooked and went to his room to prepare for his audition later in Galaxy Entertainment.

After eating, Chanyeol is already washing the dishes.

“Hyung! I’m going to go now.”

“Goodluck on your audition, Jonginnie!”

“Hyung. How many times do I need to tell you I’m not a kid anymore and don’t call me like that.”

“Because you’re my little brother…”

“Hyung, I’m not! I’m already a man…”

“Yeah whatever. Well go now or else you’ll be late and be stuck on a long line of applicants.”

“Okay hyung, Bye!”

“Goodluck!”

“Thanks hyung!”

 

After Jongin had left, Chanyeol already went to check for the boy who’s still sleeping on their couch.

“Mister…??”

“….”

“excuse me…”

“…”

“Uhhmmm…”

“…”

“O-kay… I’m just gonna go back to my room again…”

Chanyeol sat on his bed and dialed Lay’s cellphone number and pressed the call button. After three tries, the bartender already answered.

“Hello??”

“Yah! Lay hyung, the boy….”

“Oh yeah, Mr. Eyeliner…”

“Mr.Eyeliner??”

“yeah… our new customer from last night… How is he?”

“Uhhmmm… I brought him here on our house… and he’s still sleeping.”

“I’m sorry I wasn’t able to help you anymore last night… Anyway, what are you going to do with him?”

“I … I… really don’t know… He’s a stranger after all…”

“Well… maybe I can go…” Lay was trailed off when Chanyeol’s phone beeped and shut downed- it’s low bat.

“Ugh... what the…” Chanyeol hissed.

While Chanyeol is looking for his charger, someone knocked on his door.

“knock, knock???”

Chanyeol immediately opened his doorand saw a droopy boy.

“Oh.”

“Uhmm… Excuse me but… why am I here?” the boy asked while scanning the house.

“Oh… last night… you got drunk… and…”

“Ah…”

 

“Well, may I know your name first?” Chanyeol let the stranger sit on their couch in front of their LCD TV.

“Uhmm… You don’t need to know anymore… I’m gonna leave anyway…”

“…” Chanyeol don’t really know what to say but he wanted to know the person so he can help him.

“Oh… but I need to know you so I can help you… and you’re phone… we can charge it first… It’s there” Chanyeol pointed on the tiny table where the phone is lying.

“Ahh… thank you…”

“So… may I know you’re name mister?”

“I… I’m… Byun Baekhyun…”

“Oh… well nice to meet you Mr. Byun Baekhyun… I’m Chanyeol… Park Chanyeol…”

“Oh… thank you Mr. Park Chanyeol…”

“Oh, no no no… you can just call me Chanyeol…”

“O-kay…”

“Anyway, do you want to have breakfast first?”

 

Baekhyun doesn’t know why the stranger… I mean Park Chanyeol is so nice to him.

“Why are you so nice to me?? First you brought me here… on your house… and now you’re giving me a breakfast… aren’t you scared of me?”

“…” Chanyeol doesn’t know too why he’s like that.

“… Uhhmmm… maybe because… I… feel like you’re lonely?? You, know, I just really want to help you.”

“lonely??” Well he really is Baekhyun thought but he thinks that he’s more than a lonely person- He’s a pathetic one.

“Yes… I saw you crying last night…but… why?” Chanyeol’s curiosity is going too far. Maybe he should not ask anymore… “It’s okay… if you don’t want to tell me… just continue eating and I’ll just be there on the sofa to watch TV… so…” Chanyeol left the boy on the dining table and went to watch his favorite drama.

 

Baekhyun is really grateful with the guy who helped him and all he knew is just his name. So Baekhyun sat beside the giant Chanyeol.

“Ch…Chanyeol… I think… I should go now…”

“go? But you don’t know on what way you’re going…”

“I’ll just call my friend and ask him to fetch me on the bus station…”

“Oh…”

“…” The giant doesn’t know what to reply again…

“Can you lead me to the bus station?”

“Uhm… o- o- okay…” Chanyeol doesn’t know why he feels a bit sad when he should be glad that the boy is already going to leave their house… and his life.

 

Before they left, Chanyeol ensured that there were no more things that Baekhyun might have left and they already drove to the nearest bus station. Inside Chanyeol’s car, Baekhyun sat beside the giant while he’s calling his friend.

“Baekhyun??”

“Jongdae-shi… can you fetch me here on the Myeongdeong station?”

“Why the heck are you there??”

“I… I… got drunk last night and someone helped me…” the boy looked at Chanyeol beside him and continued speaking “and… just… just fetch me there.” He finished.

“Oh God, Baek what the heck… this is the third time that you got drunk and… whatever. It’s good that nothing happened to you unlike before…”

“Jongdae, just… please…”

“Oh… okay okay... I’ll be there.”

“Thanks Jongdae…” Baekhyun already put his phone on his pocket after his talk with his bestfriend.

“So… your friend’s name Jongdae…” Chanyeol blurted out but not too loud for Baekhyun to hear. He stopped driving when the stoplight turned red and looked at Baekhyun. For some reason, Chanyeol feel like he doesn’t want Baekhyun to step away from his life yet and he doesn’t exactly know why.

 

Last night, When Chanyeol is about to go to his bedroom, Baekhyun suddenly grabbed his hands and asked if he can stay. A bit surprised, Chanyeol took his hands back but when he saw the boy is crying again, he just patted his head and already left him in the couch while sleeping.

 

Right now, when Baekhyun was about to get out of his car, Chanyeol suddeny grabbed his hands.

“Can we meet again?” the giant asked while looking at the boy’s puppy- like eyes.

Baekhyun didn’t know what to reply so he just said a ‘thank you for being nice to me’.

Chanyeol was rejected.

For the first time he fell for a stranger and it’s not because of pity- it’s because of the unknown reason.

 

Jongin had passed the audition two week ago.

 

Chanyeol is still on the bar he’s working with Sehun and Lay but something changed. Every night, he would absentmindedly look on the stool where Baekhyun sat weeks ago, hoping that he’ll see him at the end of the happy hours but still, No traces of the boy would be seen. Until one night, Chanyeol spotted someone wearing a skinny jeans and a loose white shirt- it’s Baekhyun but tonight he’s not wearing an eyeliner anymore. Chanyeol followed where the boy is going. Baekhyun sat on the same stool where he was two weeks ago and he’s now fiddling with his phone.

 

“Sehun, I’m just going to go somewhere. Continue playing the music. Okay?”

“Oh… okay hyung. Make it fast.”

 

Chanyeol slowly makes his way to the boy on the bartender station when the music changed into a somewhat romantic melody. He looked at Sehun who just gave a wink. Smiling yet nervous, He sat beside the boy.

 

“Long time no see…”

Baekhyun looked in his right and saw the giant again.

“Oh… yeah… long time no see…” he replied.

“I’ve been waiting for you…”

“…”

“Since the day you left my car, you’ve stayed in my mind.”

“…”

“I know this is ridiculous… but…” Chanyeol was cut off when Baekhyun suddenly kissed him.

When Baekhyun already pulled back, he held the hands of the giant who’s now in a shock state.

“I told you before that I would just be another stranger that you’ve met, but for me, you’re that one stranger that cared for me besides my bestfriend and family. Instead of taking an advantage of me, you helped me and treated me nice. I was afraid… I was afraid that you’ll be just one of the people who’s going to leave me… That night, my girlfriend broke- up with me and I’m already losing my hope that someday there will be this one person who’ll be afraid to lose me… and then you came… you helped me… you cared for me…Thank you Ch- Chanyeol…”

The giant just looked at those pretty eyes- eyes that says ‘I’m afraid to lose you again’ and just hugged him. He patted the smaller boy’s head and pulled back to kiss him. This time it was romantic because he knows that Baekhyun also likes him. It was slow and you can feel the ‘I love you’s and Thank you’s of each other. It was the first time he kissed a stranger and he knows it’s worth it.

Sometimes, we realized how loss can triggers love.

 

 

Sometimes, unexpected things happen in our lives. We don’t really know who will be the person who we are going to fall for. He/ she may be a stranger. Maybe, the person you walk pass by in the hallways. Maybe, the person who sat next to you on the subway; or may be the person next to your apartment room; or maybe the person who you helped just weeks ago. We don’t really know because the heaven is the only one who lead us to our destiny but don’t forget that we should also do our part. When Cupid has already lead you to the right person, you must take that chance, you must hold onto that person, you must do something to keep that person in your arms- in your life. Everyone deserves to be happy, to be loved, to be cared about, to be someone’s special. There’s no exception in Love. All you need to do is to grab that chance, that moment you have waited for, that person you really loves. So, if you think that he/ she is already the one who would stay by your side until the last breath of your life, keep him/ her now before someone else grab him/ her. :)