02

Intoxicated Paradise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Later that night, I eventually succumbed to the fiery pits of alcohol. I liked the sensation of the burning flames trickling down my throat. It was as if I was immortal – drinking fire, but not getting killed by it. It was as if I stood at the top of the world where everybody else knelt in front of me.

            I was a god.

            By the first shot, things were already getting blurry. My stomach clenched and unclenched repeatedly. Something was off – but I ignored it. Alcohol was tempting, luring me like no other. It whispered sweet words in my ear, of promises and forever’s. It embraced me, and I embraced it. But not all tempting things are for the greater good. Temptation is a mere façade.

            My eyes were beginning to feel extremely heavy. Bile was rising to my throat, threatening to spill out on the perfectly wiped counter. Something crashed in the background, but my ears were failing me. I heard screams – but they were too quiet. Everything was stripped of my power. I no longer felt like a god.

            I was human, and I could die.

 

            The clock hit eleven, and by now, the heart-broken gals had already left. The bar’s volume lowered a considerable notch, but the seemingly lonely customer was still there. She eventually ordered her usual Rum that night, but today, she drank less. Kyungsoo noticed it, but he didn’t say anything. He continued to tend to the other customers at the bar.

            Then something shattered. Kyungsoo whipped around, and saw that the female customer was having convulsions on the last seat. Kyungsoo relinquished his hold on a glass cup and advanced towards the customer. “Miss,” he called out softly. He didn’t want to disturb the other customers, but everybody was beginning to grow curious. She didn’t respond. Realizing that her eyes were shut, Kyungsoo tried shaking her awake. “Miss, are you alright?” By the third shake, bile was beginning to trickle from the corner of . Placing his hand on hers, Kyungsoo took note of the steady decrease of body temperature. Recognition dawned on him.

            By now, Kyungsoo didn’t even care if he disturbed the other customers. He spotted the symptoms of alcohol poisoning immediately. “Byun Baekhyun!” He called out for the nearest bartender. Baekhyun stiffened at the mention of his name, clearly alarmed. “Call the ambulance – now.” By now, silence fell upon the crowd of the customers. They all realized the seriousness of the situation. Kim Minseok, another busboy, herded the customers to their seats. “Please stay calm, everyone. It will be alright.”

            Kyungsoo left his bartender area and helped the female customer to remain in a seated position. He knew that she could easily choke on her own vomit due to her gag reflex acting up. If that happened, she wouldn’t be able to breathe. Kyungsoo quickly shrugged off his blazer and placed it over her frail body. With her body temperature continuously dropping, hypothermia would eventually result and cardiac arrest would follow short

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter