Final.

Two Little Ghosts

 

Baekhyun happily skipped to his best friend’s house. His night bag was bouncing on his back and his sleeping bag was tucked under his arm.  After a long day at his Kindergarten class, he couldn’t wait to see Chanyeol’s smiling face. He finally arrived at Chanyeol’s house and his eyes landed on the tall five year old immediately.

 

“Baekkie!”

 

Baekhyun ran up to him and practically jumped into his arms, causing them to both tumble to the ground. Chanyeol groaned and Baekhyun giggled.

 

“Sorry Channie! I was just so excited to see you.”

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol were friends since birth, but they went to different elementary schools. The recent separation caused the boys to miss each other immensely. They did have sleepovers every weekend though.

 

Inside, Chanyeol’s mom was already baking cookies. Baekhyun greeted her and peeked into the oven. Ghost and pumpkin shaped cookies lined the baking sheet.

 

Chanyeol’s mother laughed and shooed them both into the basement where supplies for their Halloween costumes were laid out.

 

Chanyeol sat down in a chair and picked up a sketchbook and two markers. There were no other chairs, so Baekhyun sat on Chanyeol’s lap. Chanyeol laid the book over the both of them and handed Baekhyun a marker.

 

Chanyeol didn’t think anything of Baekhyun sitting on his lap. They’ve always invaded each other’s personal space without any question. The only thing Chanyeol was unsure of was why his heart beat faster whenever Baekhyun touched him.

 

Chanyeol blamed it on his allergies. He was allergic to pollen, peanut butter, and fish. So he figured he must be allergic to Baekhyun too. He was his best friend though, so Chanyeol ignored the way his heart fluttered and his face heated up.

 

“I drew a line down the middle, so you can draw on the left and I’ll draw on the right. The best idea wins! And it’s going to be mine, Channie,” Baekhyun announced while he blew a raspberry.

 

Chanyeol immediately got to work sketching his costume idea. His tongue poked out through his lips while he concentrated. He wanted them to be ghosts because his favorite movie was Casper the Friendly Ghost. He and Baekhyun would watch it every Halloween after they gathered all their candy.

 

Baekhyun had no trouble coming up with his idea either. He was planning their costumes for a few weeks, working out every detail in his head. He drew the outlines of two superheros.

 

Chanyeol laid down his marker and beamed at his drawing of the costumes. Baekhyun soon stopped drawing as well and the two boys turned to each other. Their eyes lingered for a couple of seconds before they darted to the paper in front of them.

 

Baekhyun’s heart jumped when he saw the outline of two ghosts on Chanyeol’s side of the sketch paper. He always managed to think of what they would both enjoy. It was never just about Chanyeol. It was always Chanyeol and Baekhyun.

 

Chanyeol loved what Baekhyun planned. He admired the way the costumes were so well drawn.

 

Baekhyun had always been a good artist; he always drew little doodles for Chanyeol. He would always keep them and put them into a little box beside his bed. Whenever he was missing Baekhyun, he would pull out the little sticky notes filled with hearts and cartoon characters.

 

“What costume do you like better, Baekkie?”

 

Baekhyun thought for a few moments. He could say he liked his own better, which would be the truth. Because his is better. But Chanyeol obviously put a lot of thought into his, and he didn’t want to let him down. So he lied.

 

“Yours! It reminds me of when we watch Casper. It would be super cool to be Casper for a night. Which do you like better?”

 

“I really, really, really like yours! The costumes are so awesome,” Chanyeol said while flailing his arms around. Baekhyun ducked, trying to avoid being whacked.

 

“You really like it that much?” Baekhyun asked.

“Are you kidding? I love it, Baekkie! But where did you get the idea from?  We never really watch superhero movies.”

 

Baekhyun felt shy all of a sudden. His reasoning sounded so confident and sure in his mind, but he was afraid it would sound stupid out loud.

 

“I-I wanted us to be superheroes, well mainly you a hero, because that’s what you are to me, Channie. You always save me from bad things. Like that time I wanted to play with the spider, but you told me it was poisonous. Or that day when we were in daycare and  you rescued me from the girl trying to kiss me. And when you saw the juice spilled in the floor and pulled me back before I slipped. You’re my hero.”

 

Chanyeol’s allergies really started acting up at Baekhyun’s statement. His heart swelled and his mouth opened and then closed again. He looked at Baekhyun’s flushed cheeks and couldn’t help himself when he pecked his cheek with his lips.

 

Baekhyun’s eyes widened and so did his smile; he was glad Chanyeol understood. He should’ve known he would never make fun of him for his thoughts. He leaned up as far as he could and bussed Chanyeol’s cheek too.

 

Chanyeol’s mom witnessed the whole ordeal and she felt happiness course through her. She walked in the door with cookies and an extra chair for Baekhyun.

 

She dragged the chair next to Chanyeol’s and Baekhyun reluctantly slid into it. He rather would have sat on Chanyeol’s lap. He felt secure and safe whenever he wrapped his arms around his waist.

 

“Here are the cookies! You can help yourselves, but don’t eat too many. Tomorrow is Halloween, so we can’t be eating too many sweets,” Mrs. Park said while sitting the cookies down on a table.

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol both rushed to the table and each got three cookies. The room was silent as they both munched on the delicious cookies.

 

Mrs. Park saw the sketch book lying in the floor at Chanyeol’s feet and went to pick it up. A small smile spread across her face as she looked at the drawings. Her son’s rough drawing beside Baekhyun’s detailed one was almost comical. Both of the boys made her proud regardless of their drawings. Their sweet personalities are what really made her happy.

“Mom! Which drawing do you like better?”

 

She thought for a few seconds before answering. Two pairs of eyes were trained on her, anxiously waiting for her choice.

 

“While Baekhyun’s drawing is wonderful and you two would be the cutest superheroes, I think we should go with Chanyeol’s. We don’t have the time or supplies to make such an intricate costume, but ghosts would be easy to make!”

 

Both of the boys were happy with the decision, for Chanyeol was glad his costume won and Baekhyun was excited for Chanyeol.

 

The two boys moved to the floor and began working. Chanyeol’s mom Halloween music while they began cutting out the shapes of ghosts in white sheets. She drew an outline for them to cut along to make it easier.

 

About halfway through, they grew tired of doing the tedious task. They dropped their scissors and danced around to the music. Their hands grasped as they twirled in circles.

 

When the ghosts were cut out, Chanyeol’s mom called them back over to sit down. They drew faces onto them with a large Sharpie marker. The features suspiciously ended up looking like each other. Baekhyun’s ghost had large ears drawn on the side and Chanyeol’s had a petite nose.

 

They cut out eye holes and then put it on one another. The two boys giggled at their appearances.

 

Mrs. Park grinned at them then picked up the empty tray of cookies and their drawings. She walked into the kitchen and sat the tray down on the table. She grabbed a magnet of Chanyeol’s Kindergarten picture and hung the picture on the fridge.

 

In the basement, Chanyeol and Baekhyun were conspiring a plan. The two little ghosts hid behind a box next to the door. It was Chanyeol’s idea to scare his mother. Even though they’re supposed to be like Casper, he figured it would be okay to be a little unfriendly.

 

The door started to open and they jumped out from behind the box and yelled, “BOO!”

 

Mrs. Park swung her hand over her heart and let out a small squeal. Baekhyun and Chanyeol started laughing maniacally and she joined in.

 

“You should’ve seen your face, Mrs. Park!” Baekhyun laughed.

 

“Mom, that noise you made!” Chanyeol exclaimed while struggling for breath.

 

When things settled down, they took off the sheets and Chanyeol’s mom ushered them to prepare for bed.

 

Since they were still young, they often took baths together to save time and water. Mrs. Park ran the bath water then the two boys excitedly jumped in. Baekhyun picked up a pile of bubbles in his hand and carefully made a beard on Chanyeol’s chin. Then Chanyeol proceeded to make a mustache on Baekhyun. They threw their heads back and laughed at each other.

 

When the laughter died out Chanyeol said, “I hope we’re still best friends when we are old and have beards and mustaches. I want to still take care of you then, Baekkie!”

 

Baekhyun blushed and quickly covered his cheeks with bubbles.

 

“I hope so too, Channie. I know we will be!”

 

After bathtime, they did their night routine then crawled into the bed. Chanyeol’s mom carefully tucked in the two boys then kissed them on their foreheads.

 

“Goodnight, Baekhyun! I wish it were tomorrow don’t you? I think it’ll be so cool to go as Caspers! I mean the other kids will totally wish they had our ide-”

 

Soft snores from beside him stopped Chanyeol in the middle of his sentence. He smiled sweetly then wiped the bangs from Baekhyun’s forehead. He leaned down and lovingly kissed his cheek.

 

~~~

 

The next day passed by quickly. The two boys watched Halloween movies and played games most of the time. And Mrs. Park baked more cookies and prepared the candy bowl for trick-or-treaters.

 

When it finally started to become dark outside, they slipped into their costumes and grabbed two pumpkin shaped buckets to collect candy in.

 

Mrs. Park stayed at home and Chanyeol’s older sister took them trick-or-treating. Even though Yura was only nine, she was mature enough to handle the two boys. Their neighborhood was also very safe.

 

With promises of returning on time and not eating candy until it’s checked, the trio walked out onto the illuminated street.

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol got many compliments on their ghost costumes. So did Yura on her princess dress. After they went to every house on the street that had a light on, they returned home.

 

Children were still on their doorstep receiving candy from Mrs. Park, so they had to push through little spaces to step inside.

 

Yura went upstairs to check and sort her candy while Baekhyun and Chanyeol stayed downstairs. They dumped their candy onto the table and jumped up and down excitedly.

 

“Look at all this candy, Channie! We did great this year!”

 

Chanyeol quickly nodded his head in agreement and replied, “I know! Look how many Skittles I got! I know they’re your favorite, so I always grabbed them from the bowl.”

 

Baekhyun felt extremely grateful and loving towards his best friend for being so considerate. He also felt clever, for he had done the same thing.

 

“Thank you! And I picked up all the KitKat’s that I could.”

 

Chanyeol smiled widely and they exchanged their candies. Mrs. Park checked the candies for any openings then sent the boys into the living room and began playing Casper The Friendly Ghost.

 

She exited the room to leave the two boys alone and go check on Yura. They were engrossed in the movie and becoming full from eating so much candy.

 

One time, they reached their hands in the bowl and their fingers brushed. They both quickly pulled their hands back and looked in the other direction. Chanyeol’s Baekhyun allergies began acting up again, so he didn’t eat any more KitKats.

 

When the movie credits began rolling, they adjusted their positions on the couch for sleep. Since it was a tiny loveseat, Chanyeol reclined to accommodate his long legs and Baekhyun laid horizontally across the couch. His head rested on Chanyeol’s lap and he stared up into his eyes.

 

Chanyeol smiled down at him and carded his hands through his hair. His hands moved down and rested on Baekhyun’s cheek. Baekhyun moved his hand on top of Chanyeol’s and rubbed circles into his knuckles.

 

“Hey, Baek?”

 

“Yeah Channie?”

 

“I have something to confess.”

 

Baekhyun’s heart started beating loudly and he tried wishing that it would calm down, but it didn’t work. He didn’t want the loud beating to give away his feelings for Chanyeol.

 

Baekhyun watched a lot of movies, so he knew exactly what love was. Or at least he thought he did. But regardless, he knew he loved Chanyeol. He hoped that this moment was going to be like in the movies when the guy would confess his love.

 

“Y-yeah, wh-what is it?”

 

Only a few moments passed, but it felt like an eternity to Baekhyun.


“I think I’m allergic to you, Baekkie.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AN:

Hello! I hope you enjoyed this little oneshot! It's the first one of three for my Halloween series. Comments are appreciated and mean a lot to me ^^ Happy Halloween!

Thank you Kayla for helping me edit this one <3