Chapter 4

Rain: Lock & Key

Key was shoving Jonghyun out of his spot, pulling out his phone in the process. 

Jonghyun was panicking. 

Key wasn't supposed to see that yet. 

"You did that, didn't you? What are all these marks?" flashlight on, Key aimed his phone at the wall, trying to get a better look at what had Jonghyun breaking a cold sweat. 

Happy birthday, Bummie! 

I miss you... 

Come back soon so I can tell you how annoying you are. 

Key's heart fluttered as he looked at the various little notes and tallies carved into the wall. 

Jonghyun did this for him? 

Of course he did. 

Jonghyun was always that kind of person. 

Romantic, Key thought, and immediately blushed. 

It was his best friend he was talking about, after all. 

The best friend he was in love with. 

Key traced over the engravings, trying to distract himself from the fact that he wanted to kiss Jonghyun. 

Kiss him long and hard. 

Until their lungs hurt from lack of oxygen. 

Even then, some more. 

But, of course, that would involve Jonghyun's cooperation. 

Which he still wasn't sure he could count on just yet. 

"What are all these tally marks?" 

Jonghyun stayed silently panicking while Key was getting impatient. 

"Yah! Dino! What are they!" Key smacked Jonghyun's arm hard, hoping to finally get an answer out of him. 

"Key! What the hell was that for? They're just the nights I spent up here without you!" Jonghyun whispered as he rubbed the sore spot on his arm. 

Key didn't take the pained look on Jonghyun's face seriously though, after all, it was he who hit a bicep of solid muscle. 

"What? You were up here this often? there are hundreds! What did you do in the winter? Did you even come up here then? What the hell possessed you to deface my parents' property? Holy , you've always been a sap..."

I came up here when I missed you, which was pretty often. 

I didn't spend the night in the winter, I just came up here after class, before going home. 

Well, something called love possessed me to do all those things, including 'defacing' your parents' property. 

"I was bored." Jonghyun couldn't bring himself to say anything else. His heart was pounding, trying to find it's way out, either through his chest or his mouth. 

He wasn't ready for that just yet. 

"You were bored," Key scoffed, "my parents should've banned you from this place while I was gone." 

 

They teased each other back and forth, just like before Key had left, just like they had on the phone while Key was gone. 

They tired themselves out, just talking. 

The food eventually made its away back into the basket and was put aside, leaving nothing but empty space between them. 

They sipped hot tea and coffee half the night, under the stars until they couldn't keep their eyes open any longer. 

Key was the first to fall asleep. 

Jonghyun went shortly after with blond hair ticking his neck, and a light weight on his shoulder. 

 

The weeks went on, Jonghyun and Key spent almost every second near each other, and it seemed to let everyone notice he was back. 

The first week Key went back to school there were hushed whispers and plenty of rumors behind them. 

Did you hear? I heard he got kicked out of school. 

I heard he got some girl pregnant and his parents made him come home. 

Someone told me he had a boyfriend overthere. 

Everyone just seemed to assume something of Key, whether it was because his clothes, his hair, his bubbly confidence, anything new, but no one seemed to remember the sweet, likable boy he was three years ago. 

Before he left, he was a boy everyone liked. Along with Onew, Jonghyun, Minho, and Taemin, he was very popular. He was easy to talk to, easy to get along with, why were they all being so cruel? 

Key heard everything people were saying, they weren't trying very hard to keep their words from him, but he payed no attention to them. He brushed off rude comments easily, knowing it would all blow over eventually. 

Jonghyun on the other hand had a much more difficult time dealing with the things people were saying about Key. 

He had almost gotten into fights several times that first week, only to be pulled away every time by an angry Key. He would scold him and smack him on the arm, just for good measure, and tell him not to get involved again. 

Key just didn't want Jonghyun to be in the line of fire. 

If Jonghyun got hurt, there wouldn't be anyone he would blame other than himself. 

That Friday, things seemed to get much worse. 

Someone had been passing around a picture of Key and Woohyun at a party from his Instagram. 

That's the boyfriend. 

I knew there was something wrong with him. 

I knew he was gay. 

Disgusting. 

Jonghyun had just about had it at the end of the day. 

He was so on edge, so protective of Key. 

As soon as they got out of class, Jonghyun threw an arm over Key's shoulder and hurried to meet Onew, Minho, and Tae at the coffee shop. 

Jonghyun wanted to get out as quickly a possible, scared if what he might do if anyone said anything more to Key. 

He had tried so hard to respect Key's wishes throughout the whole week. 

He did his best to keep out of things, but that just made him feel useless. 

Key didn't want to be protected, but all Jonghyun wanted to do was keep all the bad things away. 

Just like when they were kids. 

He wanted to have his best friends back, he wanted to protect his love. 

To show everyone that Key had someone. 

To show Key how much he cared. 

"Jjong, hold on, I need to get something from my locker." Key said, stopping abruptly, and leaving Jonghyun's arms empty. 

"Can't you get it on Monday? I don't want to keep Onew waiting. He doesn't have classes on Friday, so he's probably already at the café. You know Minho and Taemin are always late, too." Jonghyun tried to pull him away, grabbing his wrist. 

"Yah, stupid puppy! Let me go! I just need to get a book, it'll only take a minute!" Key squirmed in Jonghyun's grasp, managing to finally break free. 

"Fine," Jonghyun groaned, pouting and leaning against the lockers next to Key's, "but once we get to the café you're baking me some of those double chocolate cookies." 

"Whatever you want, Jonghyun." Key chuckled, knowing the giant puppy eyes that came with Jonghyun's pout were his weakness. Key grabbed the books that he needed and made sure his hair was perfect in the small mirror hanging on his locker door. 

Key shut his locker and started walking away from the puppy following after him, refusing to turn around to hide his blush. 

Although Jonghyun's legs were quite a bit shorter than Key's, he managed to catch up and maintain his fast pace at Key's side. 

"Bummie! Slow do-" 

"." 

"Care to say that again, ?" that was the last straw for Jonghyun. 

He had played the good boy the whole week, he had respected Key's wishes, but he was so sick and tired of watching Key be disrespected. 

Jonghyun threw the first punch when he heard the other scoff. From then on, he didn't bother to hold back much. 

He was doing pretty well, only getting hit once or twice, until Key pried him off the other boy. 

Key was yelling and screaming at him, scolding him with everything he had, practically making Jonghyun tuck his tail between his legs in shame. 

The crowd gathered around seemed slightly amused at how Key could get the regularly impossible to control Jonghyun back in line. 

"You," Key glared at the cause of all the commotion leaning against the row of lockers, "watch your mouth before I break your jaw myself." 

Key stepped around a panting Jonghyun, walking closer to the that dared hurt his best friend in the slightest bit. 

"I don't need any of your ignorant comments. Whether I'm gay or not, that's none of your business. Also, try not to provoke Jonghyun, he gets a little carried away. I don't want him spending so much time getting his hands dirty with useless things." 

 

Jonghyun and Ket managed to escape the crowd of people around them and the school before any of the administration showed up. 

The whole way to the café, which was only a ten minute walk from school, Key ignored Jonghyun completely. 

He was furious that Jonghyun would so easily throw a punch at some moron who didn't even know what he was saying. 

Key did his best to stay ahead of Jonghyun so he wouldn't have to see the thin trail of blood oozing through a small gash on his cheek. 

Key knew he probably deserved it, but knowing it didn't mean it made him feel any less guilty. 

 

Once outside the café, Key seemed to snap. 

In the garden, Key turned around abruptly causing Jonghyun to almost walk right into him. 

"Why the hell did you have to do that, Jonghyun?" Key glared searingly at him, anger rapidly increasing in him. 

"Did you hear what he said to you? What the whole damn school has been saying about you, Key?" Jonghyun grit his teeth, fists clenching at the thought of all the things he had heard people say in the past week. 

People were starting to stare, almost everyone in the garden had their eyes trained on the pair. Key didn't like the idea if being watched, so he grabbed Jonghyun by the wrist, and dragged him inside. 

He made his way through the tables and sofas on the first floor to the stairs that lead to the second, not loosening his grip on Jonghyun. 

He didn't bother glancing at their usual table to see if Onew, Minho, and Taemin had arrived yet. He just threw his books and bag onto a near by couch and rushed on. 

He dragged a now protesting Jonghyun to the employee bathroom, pulled open the door and shoved him inside. 

Key rushed in after him, locking the door behind him. 

"What would be so wrong about me being gay, Jonghyun? I'm curious to know." Key glared bitterly at his best friend, utterly confused and enraged at the situation. 

Jonghyun stared, completely shocked at the words coming out of Key's mouth. 

The way Key was looking at him, that was something he never wanted. 

It was breaking his heart, it was a mixture of emotions, and Jonghyun knew how to pick every single one of them out. 

Anger. 

Confusion. 

Disappointment. 

Sadness. 

Key had misunderstood him, and Jonghyun mentally kicked himself for causing him pain. 

"Bummie-" 

"Don't 'Bummie' me. I want an answer, Kim Jonghyun." Key said, stepping backwards as Jonghyun took a step towards him. 

Key felt so hurt, he just wanted to ignore whatever people were saying, he didn't care what they were saying. 

They were people that didn't know him, they were ignorant and blind, but Jonghyun. 

He didn't want to believe that his best friend would think any differently of him if he was gay or not. 

He wants things to be as they had always been, he wanted to be accepted by Jonghyun because he was the only person who mattered. 

Key didn't want to be pushed away or ignored, he didn't want to be hated. 

He didn't care if Jonghyun never returned his feelings, he could live with that. 

Maybe that would even be for the best. 

As long as Jonghyun was by his side and happy, anything was alright with him. 

If Jonghyun couldn't accept who he was, his heart would surely break. 

Key had come to terms with it long ago, and he knew there was nothing wrong with who he was, but others would surely have a problem with that. 

Thinking that Jonghyun could be one of those 'others' angered him immensely. 

Jonghyun had been with him since they were toddlers, they knew each other better than they knew themselves. 

Jonghyun should support him, no matter what. 

Until now, he had. 

Key just didn't want to loose his friend over something like this. 

What would Jonghyun say? Would he be disgusted? Would he say the same horrible things people said to him at school? 

Just thinking of what was coming broke something inside of Key, and the tears spilled over. 

Hands came up to cover his face as sobs shook through his body. 

JJonghyun's heart broke with Key. 

His best friend was crying because of him. 

The person he loved was crying because of him. 

He rushed forward quickly and wrapped his arms around Key's. 

He let his own tears spill as he embraced Key tightly. 

Key was still unresponsive, keeping his arms close to him, almost shielding himself from Jonghyun. 

Jonghyun's heart had been broken several times over in the past few minutes, it was now in dust and tiny fragments. 

Key felt a sore, gaping hole in his chest, and he was scared. 

He didn't want to become vulnerable again by showing that he needed comforting right now, he didn't want to trust Jonghyun. 

"Nothing, Key, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that." Jonghyun said in between sobs, it was just coherent enough that Key was able to catch the words. 

Key's sobs became louder and more pained, and Jonghyun thought Key would shove him away, he wasn't expecting arms to be flinched over his shoulders and around his neck. 

Key pressed his face into the crook of Jonghyun's neck, feeling so low for doubting the only person he could really trust even more so than himself. 

Jonghyun felt hot tears on his neck and he tightened his hold on Key, eliminating any space there may have been between the two. 

Keeping one arm around his waist, Jonghyun brought the other into Key's hair in a comforting manner. 

Jonghyun felt better, like was finally able to bring things around, he felt an overwhelming feeling that let hidden words slip out of him. 

"I love you, so much, Key. There's nothing that could ever change that." Jonghyun was sure that Key could feel his now pieced back together heart pounding in his chest. 

Jonghyun knew that Key would take it as 'I love you' just as it sounded, not as 'I'm in love with you'. 

Jonghyun thought that that was best. 

For now. 

 

When they had finally calmed down, he felt like a complete idiot, like he over reacted. 

When he had made up his mind to stop crying, he had pushed Jonghyun onto the counter and pulled out the first aid kit that was kept under the sink. 

The blood on Jonghyun's face was dried, and his cut needed to be disinfected. 

Key worked slowly, careful not to hurt him. The cut was small, but Key lingered, having an excuse to keep his hand on his cheek. 

"I still can't believe what you did to that guy, Jjong. He was being an , but I don't think he deserved all of that. I think you underestimate your muscles." Key said, still slightly disapproving of Jonghyun's actions. 

"He deserved everything he got, Bummie. No one deserves to be insulted for things other people don't understand. Especially you, even though you're annoying, you're a good person." Jonghyun smiled carefully, as to not open the cut on his cheek. 

With his hand on the opposite cheek, holding Jonghyun's face in place, he felt it move up under his palm and it made his hear skip a beat. 

Key was staring and he knew. He smiled a little when he felt Jonghyun's leg nudge his hip, almost calling him out on the staring. 

His smile grew bit by bit until he was laughing, he wrapped his arms around Jonghyun again. It was slightly awkward, Jonghyun sitting on the counter and Key between his legs, but neither could care less. 

"Thank you, Jjong." Key said, quickly quickly kissing his cheek, right above the bandaged cut. 

He then quickly stepped back, allowing Jonghyun to slide off the counter. 

With his cheeks pink, Key turned away from Jonghyun to look at himself in the large mirror, quickly noticing red smudges in his white shirt. 

He let out a soft gasp, turning around to look at his back where Jonghyun's hands had rested. 

More red smudges. 

His right eye twitched as he slowly turned to face Jonghyun once again. 

"Kim Jonghyun," Key said, scarily calm. 

"THIS IS ING DESIGNER. YOU DID NOT JUST GET BLOOD ON THIS SHIRT. OH GOD, I'M GOING TO KILL YOU." Key took a few breaths to calm himself. 

"Let me see your hands." Key said in that scarily calm tone again. 

He saw the skin on Jonghyun's knuckles raw in some places, fresh and dried blood on them. 

Jonghyun's blush intensified (some still remaining from Key's kiss) as he bashfully smiled. 

"Sorry, Bummie..." he said giving him his most potent puppy eyes.

 

The puppy eyes didn't save him from Key's treatment. 

Key was nowhere near as gentle cleaning and bandaging his knuckles as the first time. 

Jonghyun didn't complain either way. 

In the end, he still got his double chocolate cookies when they finally made it over to Onew, Minho, and Taemin. 

Strangely, no one asked questions, and it was like any other day they hung out. 

Jonghyun had a great time. He was happier than he had been in a very long time, after all, he thought he made good progress with Key. 

That was until Taemin pointed out the red in Key's blond hair. 

 


~~~~~ 
WHOOOAAAAA. THIS ONE TOOK AGES. 
I'M SO SORRY. 
I JUST HAD QUITE A BIT OF TROUBLE WITH THIS CHAPTER. 

I'M SO GLAD TO HAVE IT OVER WITH! 

QOTC: What are your favorite type of cookies? 

YOU GET A COOKIE IF YOU TELL ME WHAT TOU THINK OF THIS CHAPTER. 

MAYBE.