Chapter 1

Rain: Lock & Key

There were days when Jonghyun would walk home from the coffee shop in the rain.

Today wasn't one of those days.

He sat on a couch on the second floor looking over into the garden.

There was a greenhouse in the garden, it was mostly used to grow some of the herbs that were used for drinks among other things, but today he saw something new in there.

There was a boy, around his age, watering the plants inside.

The rain had turned to mist, and his view of the boy became much clearer.

He was surrounded by flowers, very beautiful ones, yet he was the most beautiful thing Jonghyun could see.

He was the son of the owners, the son that had been studying abroad in America the past three years.

That boy, smiling as he walked into the rain, was his best friend.

The friend he had missed so dearly.

The boy who had changed so much.

The person he had been in love with for the three years he was gone, probably even longer.

His hair was now dyed blond, but he was the same as ever.

His smile was still the same.

It still made Jonghyun's heart want to beat right out of his chest.

His eyes were still the same.

They were catlike and beautiful, they made Jonghyun's heart pound just as much as the rest of him.

Especially when they looked up to him through the window.

Those perfect, bow shaped lips turned up into a small smile, and all that did was make Jonghyun want to run down there and kiss him.

Right there.

In the rain.

The last time he saw his best friend was also in the rain.

He had also wanted to kiss him then.

And he almost did.

They were in the garden, outside the coffee shop, rain and tears running down their faces.

They had said goodbye, and because spring was a time for new beginnings, they smiled at each other.

Jonghyun almost kissed him, and he was scared of the feeling at first. As time passed, he slowly realized what it had meant. He came to realize he was helplessly in love with Kibum and that there was nothing he could do about it.

Many times he had regretted not kissing him then, but he knew it was selfish of him to think that.

They were great as friends, an Jonghyun didn't want to ruin that relationship. That didn't mean he wasn't going to give it his all to steal his best friend's heart.

He was determined.

He knew there was something special between them, he knew it because Key would stay up very late at night just to Skype with Jonghyun after he got out of work even though he had class the next morning.

They'd smile at each other and ask how their day had gone. Almost every day, Jonghyun said he was writing a new song. Other days, Key would ask him to sing a bit. But every single time they had those little moments of seeing each other, even if it was through a screen, they both felt an immense connection.

Those years of being apart did not have a strain on their friendship. They were in constant contact, texts, Skype calls, and the occasional hand written letter.

Jonghyun had felt butterflies in his stomach every time they talked, and very often e wondered if Key felt them too.

Jonghyun looked away from the window to look over to the top of the stairs. He heard light footsteps slowly some up, and with every step, his heart beat increased. When he saw blond hair, he stood up and walked through the many couches and tables toward the stairs. He stopped in the wide space in front of the stairs, and when he saw Key, his best friend, the love if his life, he felt his heart stop.

He was brought back to life by a smile that was brighter than the sun itself.

He felt as though he was finally seeing the sun after an endless storm. He felt the warmth of it on his skin, he felt its beauty in his heart, and there was nothing that could ever get that smile out of his mind.

They slowly walked to each other, and although Jonghyun thought he would cry when he finally saw Key again, he didn't. All he could do was stare and smile.

He was real.

He was really there.

It wasn't a dream.

"Did you miss me?" Key asked, smiling, eyes turning up at the corners.

Jonghyun almost couldn't answer, his voice was clear and natural and it was purely Kibum.

His tone, the way his eyes smiled along with his mouth, the way he tilted his head to the side then he talked, it was all him and he has missed every bit of it.

"Not one bit." He said teasingly, still smiling.

Key let out a soft chuckle and Jonghyun couldn't help but laugh.

They walked toward each other, slowly, hesitantly, like the other would disappear if try touched.

Neither knew who initiated the hug, but they both knew who stated crying first.

In between sobs, Jonghyun managed to say, "Of course I missed you, how could I not miss my best friend?"

They both ended up crying for a very long while, the only sounds either of them could hear wee their sobs and the pitter-patter of the rain on the large windows.

Only when three boys walked up the stairs did they let go of each other and wipe away the tears.

The youngest, Taemin, was the first to run to Key and throw his arms around him.

The other two, Minho and Onew, stayed by the stairs patiently waiting for the maknae of the group to let them have their turn at hugging their long gone friend.

Jonghyun smiled at the sight.

The five of them hadn't been together for a very long time. Key had always been missing, and they had all missed the diva.

Their odd little group wasn't the same without him, and they were all glad he was back.

Onew, Minho, and Taemin were even more glad that Jonghyun finally had his best friend back.

Over the years, the three of them had noticed the way Jonghyun smiled when he told them about his latest conversation with Key.

Now that the two of them were near each other again, the other three could only hope that they could finally be happy.

Taemin had always been a strong supporter of 'JongKey', even before the latter had left for America.

At first it had started off as a joke in his mind, seeing as his friends seemed very affectionate towards each other, but over time, he knew that the feelings they had towards each other was much more than just friendship.

Minho had only realized after Key left.

Because he and Jonghyun were neighbors, the elder had shown up a week after Key'a departure on his front step, tears streaming down his eyes, mumbling in between sobs how much he missed his best friend.

That night, Jonghyun spilled his heart to his friend. Jonghyun was heartbroken and scared. He was heartbroken that he only realized his feelings after his friend was gone, as scared that he would never get a chance with him. Minho had accepted it fully, knowing exactly how much pain his friend was in, he too was experiencing a sort of confusion with his own best friend.

Onew had somehow known all along, he was the smartest out of the group for a reason. He figured it out the week he moved to his new school. It was half way through his first second in middle school, and being the new boy had not been easy. Moving to Seul from a small town was difficult as it was, but not knowing anyone at all was even more difficult.

He remembered waking into class that first day. He had awkwardly introduced himself and as he was walking to his newly assigned seat, he tipped, and most of his fellow classmates cruelly laughed. The boy sitting in the isle seat near where he had fallen helped him up, and the boy who strangely reminded him of a cat yelled at the whole class to shut up.

He was glad that he was sitting behind those nice boys and he quickly became friends with them.

He easily became bored in class, already knowing much of the material, he settled for watching the two best friends in front of him sometimes.

They liked to pass notes and doodle on each other's notebooks and he found the way they interacted sweet. He quickly caught on, he could see that Key had a crush on his best friend, as well as he hid it. He only let his defensive walls around the other boy and Onew could see what Key had for his best friend were not only feelings of friendship. Jonghyun had been more difficult to read. The boy seemed completely oblivious, but Onew saw that he possibly had romantic feelings for his friend, too.

Onew noticed Jonghyun glancing at his friend very often, during class, during lunch, and during the times they asked him to hang out with them outside of school.

He only saw their feelings intensify over the years, an he knew they fell in love.

That's why he was so scared when Key told them he was leaving. He didn't want them to get their hearts broken before they even realized their own feelings.

In the weeks before Key left, he realized that he was perfect aware of his feelings for Jonghyun. Onew was relieved, and he had hope that they would confess to eachoter before he left.

That did not happen though. Onew saw that Jonghyun had also become aware of his feelings after Key left.

He had spent the last three years hoping that they would finally give each other a chance.

Knowing that Jonghyun and Key were in love with each other, Onew, Minho, and Taemin looked between the two of them as they all drank coffee and talked on the second floor of the coffee shop, and sincerely hoped that now that Key was back, they could finally have their chance.