Keeping Me Warm.

Warmer In Winter

Right click and play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYlBE_qjP44

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Snow.

I couldn’t believe my eyes when I woke up and looked out the window, it had finally started snowing! Snow has always been my favourite part of winter, I loved the way it just fell, the way it fell slowly and the way it drifted against the light wind. I hurriedly put on a warm cardigan and ran outside *Finally…* It felt soft against my hands and the joy within me just kept growing. I smiled with excitement *Iced coffee here I come!* For some odd reason, I had always thought that iced coffee tasted better in winter, kind of like when people prefer eating ice cream during the cold. I quickly rushed back inside and grabbed my bag before heading back outside again.

 

My body filled with warmth as I stepped into the café,

“Hi what would you like?” The barista asked me politely
“Just a regular iced coffee thanks!”

The barista gave me a weird look *Annnd there it is* I gave her a quick smile before I scooted over to the pick-up area at the end of the counter. Once my order was done, I sat down on one of the sofas and began reading a novel that was already in my bag. Before I knew it I was engrossed in the story and had managed to zone out everything around me, nothing mattered right now except for this story.

My attention then shifted as I felt the sofa sink down, someone was sitting on the other side of the sofa. I turned my head slightly to see who it was; I must have looked annoyed because he suddenly apologised to me,

“Ah mianhaeyo! Did I interrupt you? I’m sorry!”
“Oh no, no, you’re alright! You didn’t, it was my fault for not paying attention in the first place!”

 

I heard him sigh with relief as he began muttering to himself, unknowingly a smile formed on my face *This guy is funny* As I looked over at him again, I saw that he too had bought an iced coffee, “Oh!” he jumped slightly and looked at me. I pointed to his iced coffee and showed him mine,

“I thought I was the only one who drinks iced coffee in winter!”
“And I thought I was the only one who drinks iced coffee in the winter!” he shouted, receiving stares from other people in the café. He looked around and apologised to everyone, I let out a small laugh, “Well, because iced coffee—“

“Taste better in winter”, he said at the same time. We laughed quietly at each other, as we settled ourselves, he introduced himself to me, “I’m Yixing, but call me Lay” he held his hand out, “I’m Yebin,” I replied as I shook his hand, “It’s nice to meet you, Lay!” I added with a smile.

 

We spoke for what seemed like ages before I realised that it was getting dark. We had to leave the café as they were soon closing and ended up standing in silence next to each other.

 

“So…it was nice talking to you! It was really good talking to someone for a change,” I said as I gave Lay a smile.
“Yeah…it was,” he replied as he scratched the back of his head
“It was also nice meeting you by the way! Um, so I have to go home now, but hopefully I’ll see you around more often.” I started to turn and walk in the direction of my apartment when Lay grabbed my hand.

“Wait…”

I turned back to see his hand gently holding onto mine, his hand was warm and it kept me warm. I looked up at him and our eyes met, there was light snow against his black hair, and at that moment I couldn’t see anything or anyone but him, my heart fluttered. Looking surprised at what he did, Lay let go of my hand and scratched the back of his head again.

“Let me walk you home, I mean it’s dark and I don’t want you to run into any trouble,” he said quickly. I felt disappointed with what he had said *What did you think he was going to say Yebin?!*  I quickly gathered my thoughts together, “Oh, yes of course, sure! Um, this way.” I answered as I pointed in the direction of my apartment.

 

The walk to my apartment was very quiet; there was no awkward atmosphere in the air, which was strange because every time I was with other people I could feel it. Lay was…different. We arrived in front of my apartment and the silent didn’t leave for a while.

“Well, this is where we stop…thank you,” I said politely with a smile *Again with the smiling! Why can’t I stop!*
“You are welcome, um, yeah well, I guess I’ll be going now…”

I felt a bit sad; I didn’t want Lay to leave me nor did I want to go up to my apartment but I didn’t want to say anything, what if he thought I was being a weirdo? It wouldn’t be the first time someone did.

“Oh, okay well, thanks again…”
“Alright, see ya…”

Lay started to walk away, and I just felt sad looking at his back towards me, he turned around and my eyes lit up, but all he did was give me one last wave before turning back and going his way *Bye…Yixing…*

 

A few hours later I heard shouting from my neighbours,

“YAH! ARE YOU CRAZY WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! STOP THROWING PEBBLES AT MY WINDOW, I’M TRYING TO SLEEP HERE!”
“Ah, mianhamnida! Sorry, I’m sorry!”

That voice, it sounded like Lay’s, but why would he be outside my apartment? *Ani, it must be someone else, I must be hearing things* I lightly patted my head; I need to stop thinking of these silly things.

“Yebin-ah!” I heard a loud whisper, *It can’t be…* I quickly rushed to open my window, when I looked down; it was Lay, standing there. His face turned into a smile when he waved as he saw me.

“What are you doing?! It’s so late!” I loudly whispered back.
“Come down here! Please!” he begged.
“Arasoyo! Just shh!” I whispered back as I placed my finger to my lips.

 

It sounded urgent and I didn’t want to wake up anymore of my neighbours so I decided to head down. As I approached him, I noticed the amount of snow that had landed on his hair *He must’ve been outside for a while…*

“What are you doing here? It’s so late!”
“I know, I know, but listen to me, I need to tell you something.”
“That has to wait, look at you! You look cold, how long have you been out here?”

I began brushing the snow off of his hair and his shoulders, “At this rate you might catch a col—.” I was interrupted by Lay when he grabbed my hand. “Yebin-ah…” he quietly whispered, we made eye contact and my heart fluttered, the way that he said my name, the way he was looking at me *Yes?*

“I haven’t been able to stop thinking about you ever since I walked you home, there was no awkward silence when we were walking and…and that meant something right?” he confessed.
“Lay…what are you—“ I was interrupted again,
“Yixing…just call me, Yixing…”
“Okay…Yixing, what are you sayin—“

 

A smile appeared on his face; he interrupted me once again, only this time it wasn’t with words, he pulled me close to him and kissed me. My eyes widened but slowly closed as I was enveloped with a blanket of warmth that he had given me. We pulled apart and stared at each other,

“Yebin-ah, I...like you.” Yixing confessed as he caressed my cheek.
“You…you do? Well, I guess that’s sort of good, because I like…you too,” I whispered the last bit causing Yixing to break out into a smile.

Before long, I started to ramble, “Because I mean, you ordered the same drink as me, and I thought that it was weird because I thought I was the only person who did something like that and then you walked me home and then—“ I heard Yixing laugh as he cupped my face with both hands and landed a second kiss, I stopped rambling, “I guess that’s the only way to stop you from rambling,” he said with a gentle smile. “Hehe, I’m sorry, I ramble when I feel nervous…”

 

He hugged me tightly and I buried my smiling face into his chest.

“Don’t worry, Yebin-ah, I’ll keep you warm from now on.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~