Why Not?

Why Not?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

THE END.

 

“I can’t believe I’m hearing this from you.” Shin Hye swallowed. She tried her best not to cry, but it was useless; tears were streaming down her face the moment she uttered those words.

 

She was taking consolation that it was a little dark in that space where his car was; the darkness could’ve hidden her distraught expression, her brokeness, right that very moment. But he saw through her... he read her... because...

 

They’re that close.

 

“I’m the only one she’s got...” He reasoned in all honesty. His voice pleading, echoeing desperation, asking for understanding. She always understood him, in everything and when everyone else doesn’t; she did understood him, and sometimes she forced herself to – and he banked on those countless times that she did, and he expected she’d do it once again. “You know what’s been happening to them right now. They’re at the bottom of the pit, Shin-Chan. Jessica left the--”

 

“I know what’s going on.” Shin Hye continued to sob. “And I just know you chose her over me... It’s the first time that you did, Yong. First time.”

 

Yong.
She’s called him that again.
This time with lots and lots of tears.

 

“It’s nothing like that.” Yonghwa defended. “Joohyun just wanted someone to be with her. You know how vulnerable she can get... she just wanted someone to comfort her.”

 

“And she chose her ex-boyfriend.” Shin Hye wiped her tears and sighed. “And her ex can’t say no.”

 

“Park Shin Hye...” Yonghwa raised his voice. “You’re being selfish. It’s not like you...”

 

“No.” She told him, “It’s you not being yourself, Yonghwa.”

 

This isn’t their first conversation about this topic, this situation. After this whole fiasco about Girls’ Generation member Jessica Jung leaving the group, leaving the others badly emotionally beaten, each of the girls have to fend for themselves to get back on their own feet. Each has to look for their own diversion, to ease up the tension, the pressure from the company and the erring and disappointed fans

 

The situation has become so serious and excruciating that it has become more hurtful than they have ever expected. The girls were not that all prepared and geared up in dealing with the personal trauma, that is, losing a friend in the process.

 

Seo Joohyun needed someone who has been her strength all this time. Too bad, that someone is no longer hers. But when she called, just like a good-natured person that he is, just a like a man that everyone knew him to be, he came no less. He offered help. He offered to be there for her. But Seohyun wanted more. She wanted that for the time being, for the time that she is still hurting, Yonghwa-oppa stays with her.

 

And that’s when bestfriend-turned-boyfriend Jung Yonghwa had to ask Park Shin Hye if he can stay by his ex-girlfriend’s side for the time being.

 

Park Shin Hye is nice. By all counts, she is. But this is different. Not when the ex-girlfriend Seohyun had tried to grab every opportunity she can to get her ex-boyfriend back. She invites him in all their family parties, in all their friends’ parties. She sends him messages, she calls him often too. She informs him of her day-to-day activities and such. Shin Hye never complained; she never confronted her about it, nor talked about it with Yonghwa – never. She kept her silence. And when Yongwha gives in with her invitations a few times because Jonghyun, Minhyuk or Jungshin goes, she lets him. If it’s a Seo family event, out of respect, and for old times’ sake, Park Shin Hye even makes sure Yonghwa is properly dressed for the occasion and brings an appropriate and nice gift.

 

But this is the last straw.

 

SNSD maknae asking for a time together, just like before.

 

Jung Yonghwa says YES.
Park Shin Hye says NO.
 

It’s over.

 

He turned left, she stepped towards right.

Definitely over.

The end.

 

And Jung Yonghwa knew it’s over when she wiped her tears and said goodbye.
And Shin Hye knew that when he didn’t run after her, that Yonghwa made his choice. He chose to help his ex-girlfriend rather than be with her.

 

They knew it was over...
They knew each other too well.


They’re that close.

 

 

PIECE OF ADVICE.

 

“I’m going somewhere far.” Shin Hye typed on her phone. “I need to breathe fresh air... I need time to think...”

 

She wanted to send it to her bestfriend but realized her bestfriend is Jung Yonghwa, the guy who just shattered her heart.  She realized he’s the only guy who can make it whole again. How can the world be so unfair to her?

 

And she realized, another person is reading her text message. Shin Hye immediately hid her phone.

 

“Oppa!” Her eyes widened though a bit embarassed.

 

The guy laughed.

 

That laugh.
It made Shin Hye laugh too.

 

“You’re broken-hearted or something?” He asked.

 

That voice.
That low, deep-baritone voice.
It made Shin Hye smile.

 

“Sorry, I was just joking.” He smiled shyly. His eyes did. “I didn’t mean to pry.”

 

That eye-smile.
It made her feel shy too.
It made Shin Hye smile, again.


“I’m leaving.” He told her. “Take care Shin-Hye.”

 

“Take care Oppa.” She nodded.

 

The CF filming’s done. They are parting ways, just like normal co-workers do. He looked for her to say goodbye.  

 

He smiled again.
She smiled back.

 

“Hey.” He turned back and called out to Shin Hye, “There’s this place called Dolce Vita in Pocheon. My friend Jiyong owns it... You know Jiyong, right? G-Dragon. There’s fresh air that you can breathe there. Spend as much time as you need... to think. It’s a good place.”

 

“T-t-thank you, Oppa.” Shin Hye stammered.

 

“Go to Dolce Vita.” He told her. “And tell me if I need to beat someone up and I will.”

 

The sweet Oppa offered sweet words and another sweet smile.
How sweet.

 

He was already leaving when he decided to turn back once more and went up to her, closer this time.  He walked back to her quite slowly; he knew she didn’t even know he came back and was walking back towards her.

 

He noticed Shin Hye was staring on her phone quite blanky, and her expression went back to being a lot more sad than the first time he saw her typing something on her phone awhile ago. He sensed she was feeling all broken-hearted sending a message like that, wanting to go to a far away place.

 

Her face in full contemplation, as if waiting for answers, and sure needing comforting from someone.

 

“Seriously... you don’t need to go to a far place to think. Or to even forget. If he’s not worth it, then he’s not worth it. Someone else will come along. Someone better or someone deserving of you.” He said quite sadly. Unsolicited, yes, but Shin Hye’s face is too much of a give away, even by-standers can offer a piece of advice to her and her broken heart. “And someone you deserve...”

 

She didn’t even say she needed to forget.
She didn’t even say she wanted to forget.

 

But just to repeat, her face and expression was a give-away.

 

“He’s my bestfriend, my life, my everything.” Shin Hye began to cry, confessing.

 

And no, she didn’t take a second to deny either.
Words might come handy but tears are there to contradict them anyway.

 

“But those tears are showing me he doesn’t feel the same way...” He replied sadly. “Maybe not anymore.”

 

The Bingu knows Yongshin is real, apparently.

 

“Why not try to look around you... maybe there’s someone else for you.” He added and smiled, “And you’re going to prove not to your bestfriend and not to anyone else for that matter, but to yourself... that there is actually someone else for you aside from that guy who’s making you cry right now.”

 

She stared at him.
He stared back.

 

She is used to staring at different pair of eyes; that one that she can read, that one that can read hers. This one is different, but it speaks too and damn beautiful too... and it tells her something.

 

“Why not?” Shin Hye smiled in tears.

 

“Why not?” Choi Seunghyun smiled back and wiped her tears. “Stop crying. Beautiful ladies shouldn’t cry.”

 

Yes.
It’s that man, Choi Seunghyun.
BIGBANG’s Tee-Oh-Pee.
That man whose stare can either kill you or make you pregnant.
The hottest, most handsome, most coveted guy in KPOP – and no one’s arguing about it.

 

And he just called Park Shin Hye, beautiful.
Run, Shin Hye, run.
You lucky woman, run.

 

 

THE YONGWALL.

 

BIGBANG CONCERT
 

“Oh you’re here.” Seunghyun was suprised to see a guest backstage.

 

“Ah yes.” Shin Hye smiled. “Jiyong-Oppa invited me. I’m here with Jungshin and Minhyuk.”

 

“And Yongwall?” Seunghyun chuckled.

 

“There’s no such thing, Oppa.” Shin Hye hit him in the arm. “He didn’t come... Yonghwa... It’s Yonghwa.”

 

“Oh.” He nodded. “How are you, Shin Hye?”

 

Shin Hye.
He is talking to her informally.
Choi Seunghyun never does that. Even to anyone, to anybody. He always talks formally.

 

“I’m good.” She smiled. “They’re good.”

 

“But the best friendship is back?” He asked.

 

Shin Hye shrugged.

 

“Tell me if I need to beat someone up and I will.” Seunghyun went up and gave her a hug.

 

“Yes, Oppa.”

 

 

YONGSEO IS REAL.

One year later

 

“You can’t go without a date, Park Shin Hye.” Im Se Mi,  her girl bestfriend, shouted too loud and had called the attention of the people waiting outside the cafe they’ve been standing in for the last thirty minutes. Now people had a chance to stare a them and eavesdrop to their conversation:

 

About Lee Joon’s upcoming wedding.

 

“I agree.” Kim Yoon-Hye added. “You better not go without someone. Yonghwa is there and of course she is going with him. All of their friends  are there. It’s going to be awkward for you.”

 

“It’s been years.” Shin Hye told them. “And I’m totally over him.”

 

“We’re not.” The two girl chorused.

 

“Everyone’s going to look at you and your expression... and they’ll judge you, Shin Hye.” Se Mi choked, “It’s like it’s a long battle that you think you’ve won but you didn’t. People are going to laugh at your face.”

 

“They’re like, ‘bestfriend-my-’”. Yoon-Hye arrogantly copied some girls. “You lost Yonghwa to Seohyun, Shin Hye. I don’t think I can get over it. Let’s not even start on how you tried to beg him to come back to you.”

 

YES.
Shin Hye beg Jung Yonghwa to come back to her, but with much pride, it’s CNBLUE’s frontman’s turn to say NO to his bestfriend and ex-girlfriend.

 

“Lee Joon-Oppa is my friend too.” Shin Hye played mud with her shoe, “I’m over Yonghwa, we’re talking again... now... at least we are. I just have to make do with what I have.”

 

“You are so stubborn...”Se Mi wanted to strangle her.

 

“Yongseo is real.” Shin Hye closed her eyes.

 

Shin Hye never thought she’ll ever say those words, but she did.

 

 

HE SAID NO.

 

Lee Joon’s Wedding
 

She was bride-like.
Park Shin Hye.


Wearing a white chiffon-dress up to her knees, her hair, bouncing with curls flowing to her shoulders. Her make-up, light and refreshing. Park Shin Hye radiated like a beautiful, glowing bride. Even ex-boyfriend Jung Yonghwa had to keep his vision straight in order not to get in trouble with his ex but current girlfriend, Seohyun. But he couldn’t help it. He was drawn, captivated, mesmerized as always. He was slayed and there’s no way denying it.

 

Shin Hye sat on a table alone with some people she didn’t know. As expected, as her friends expected, and as they have warned her, unnecessary comments were given and Shin Hye heard them one by one.

 

How pitiful she came alone.
How Yonghwa and Seohyun’s rocking it together.
How karma had strike Shin Hye badly.
How Shin Hye looks like she wants Yonghwa back... badly.
And how she exerted too much effort to look her best that night because Yonghwa and Seohyun are going to be there.

 

Shin Hye had shrugged everything off as if she heard nothing. She looked at Yonghwa as if a friend would look at another friend.

 

‘His hair has grown longer’ She thought.

 

It was basic.
Anybody can think about that, about Jung Yonghwa.

 

She drank her red wine and scanned the guests, trying to see if there’s anyone she knew and that if there’s someone that she can talk to. The girls  in the next table kept talking about her love story – the complete gory details.

 

Yonghwa and her are best of friends. But CNBLUE’s leader is dating SNSD’s maknae. When they broke up, Shin Hye and Yonghwa, after a long, long time, and after a whole lot of pushes and pulls decided to cross That Thin Line.

 

That Thin Line between friendship and love.
That Thin line.

 

Everyone had thought, at least on the other side of the fence, Shin Hye stole Yonghwa. She got a lot of  bashing, ridiculing, character-assasination from that crossing over that thin line. There was clear break up between Seohyun and Yonghwa; there was no one stealing someone from someone. But apparently, bitterness and jealousy hid the truth somewhere.

 

A lot people hated Shin Hye for this. But she didn’t take the time to clear herself. She was thinking time will reveal the truth and since she did nothing wrong, she will not explain anything to anyone.

 

Too bad for her, Jung Yonghwa and Seo Joohyun got back together.

 

Still, she didn’t want to explain.
She just wanted her Yong back.
Just that.

 

Shin Hye begged him.
With all her might she did.

 

Yonghwa was only being a friend to Seohyun at first, which Shin Hye didn’t like. She knew it would end them if Yonghwa would get close to his ex again. But that man is stubborn by all means. But timing wasn’t on Shin Hye’s side either. CNBLUE and SNSD started collaborating; Yonghwa and Seohyun had more time together; Seohyun becoming more and more vulnerable each day, needing Yonghwa-Oppa day and night. Shin Hye on the other hand, broken like that, worked and worked till she can’t open her eyes any longer – may it be tired from work or tired from crying.

 

No more Yongshin time.

 

Then she realized, they grew farther and farther from each other.
That’s when she begged him back.
And that’s when he said no.

 

 

SOMEONE BETTER.

 

“So...” One of the ladies continue, “I heard she almost overdosed with sleeping pills...”

 

Shin Hye smiled; truth is, she almost chuckled.  It sounded like a drama, or a movie. She waited for the next line. It was too interesting and it kept her amused all night, to be honest. Too bad, she thought, the facts were right up to the very last except with the ‘sleeping pills’ part. Oh, the girls were Seohyun-biased, by the way.

 

“Shin Hye!” A girl, whom she knows, a close friend of Seohyun’s, sat next to her. “Are you alone?”

 

That question came with a smile.
A sarcastic one.

 

Shin Hye cleared to answer, but before she can do so, she heard a familiar voice do it for her.

 

 “No. She’s with me.”

 

That voice.
That low, deep-baritone voice.
It made Shin Hye smile.

 

Next thing she knew, a kiss in the temple sent shivers to her spine.
She was speechless for minutes.
Her smile faded.

 

“You’re not going to introduce us?” Seunghyun sat next to the wordless Shin Hye.

 

“I am Choi Seunghyun.” He offered his hand to the likewise shocked woman next to Shin Hye.

 

“I-I-I-I a-a-am..” The woman stammered.

 

She just stammered, but still unable to give her name. She left in awe, starstruck with Tee-Oh-Pee and that realization that he is, afterall, Shin Hye’s date for that night.

 

“Oppa...” Shin Hye at least managed to say something.

 

Seunghyun leaned closer and whispered, “I gatecrashed. I’m attending another wedding on the other hall when I talked to a friend outside. He said there were people of my kind here.”

 

Shin Hye laughed.

 

“Let’s go say hi to Yonghwa-ssi together before I get caught.” Seunghyun offered. “It’s like how it is in movies, right? You see your ex with his new girlfriend but then again you brought someone better.”

 

Someone better.
Of course.

 

“No need.” Shin Hye gained her composure. “I’m fine.”

 

“C’mon.” Seunghyun urged, “You’re not just getting back at Yonghwa. To those people who mocked you too... his girlfriend’s friends. Those girls like me, even the guys. That I know for a fact. Ah well, Seungri told me.”

 

Boom.
Boom Shakalaka.
The Bingu full of himself.

 

“Thanks for lifting my mood up, Oppa.” Shin Hye, still declined the offer. “But really... I’m fine.”

 

“Okay, if that’s what you like.” Seunghyun stood up and prepared to leave. “Oh, by the way, next time don’t come in a wedding all dolled-up looking more beautiful than the bride.”

 

Shin Hye blushed.

 

“Stop it. You’ve done more than what you can for me, for tonight.” She smiled once more.

 

Then Choi Seunghyun, standing now, offered his hand, smiling so handsomely as ever, said, “I want to say to Jung Yonghwa-ssi, please come with me.”

 

Handsome.
Hot.
Yet Stubborn.
He is Choi Seunghyun.

 

And that smile – that Choi Seunghyun smile, no woman could ever resist.

 

Park Shin Hye is a woman, everyone.

 

So, Shin Hye took his hand, stood up from her chair and walked to where Yonghwa is. Shin Hye didn’t flinch when Seunghyun interlocked his fingers with hers. He glanced at her while they walked, and he gave her another smile – a reasurring one, ‘don’t worry, Oppa is here’.

 

The big, noisy adjoining tables of Jung Yonghwa and his party fell into complete silence when Seunghyun and Shin Hye approached them. CNBLUE and their girls; Girls Generation and their boys and some SM Town people.

 

Prominent people, as they say. But they make way for that man from YG. And all hell break loose, they even roll out that red carpet for him too.

 

Everybody should have felt the need to shut their mouths, put to halt their conversations and their stories for the time being.

 

The King has arrived – there isn’t much explanation needed for that.  And beside him is an exquisitely beautiful woman who is someone’s former queen.

 

“Hello Yonghwa-ssi.” Seunghyun greeted.

 

There was arrogance in Seunghyun’s voice.
Everyone noticed that; he is saying something, establishing something.
Yonghwa had to eye Shin Hye, but got nothing, nada.

 

“Sunbae.” Yonghwa replied; disappointed that he can’t read Park Shin Hye any longer. A little surprised, a lot broken seeing those intertwined fingers, “How are you?”

 

“Never better.” Seunghyun smiled. “I... I just wanted to say hello. And wish you good luck on your next album.. extend my greetings to Jonghoon-ssi, Minhwan-ssi and the others.”

 

Then he bowed and smiled before exiting, tagging Shin Hye along in the process.

 

Outside the banquet hall, Seunghyun was so proud he was able to pull off such an act. Simple yet he knew he created a big impact. The expression of those people in Yonghwa’s table were priceless; being shocked was an understatement.

 

“Seunghyun-Oppa.” Shin Hye tugged his hand. “Do you really know CNBlue?”

 

Seunghyun stopped and stared at Shin Hye who was obviously trying to control her laughter.

 

“What?”

 

“Is that why they call you Bingu?” Her face is now red, and there were tears ready to fall from her eyes.

 

“Is there something wrong with what I said?” Seunghyun asked, trying to recall.

 

Shin Hye then burst out laughing. “Jonghoon and Minhwan are from FT Island. It’s Jonghyun and Minhyuk! Oppa!! How could you?”

 

The Bingu at his finest.

 

Bingu might mean stupid, or dork, or y, or cute, or child-like, or all of it.
Tee-Oh-Pee is called a Bingu and is loved for being a Bingu.

 

“Oh.” Seunghyun sighed. “I didn’t know.”

 

“Now you know.” Shin Hye was still laughing. “But thanks, really. I owe you.”

 

“Yonghwa-ssi still has feelings for you.” Seunghyun told her as they continued to walk hand in hand, “I know it.”

 

“No more Yonghwa for me.” She replied seriously. “I will wait for that someone else that you told me about, someone else than Yonghwa.”

 

“Right.” He nodded. “Careful though, you might end up with a ‘Bingu’ like me.”

 

“A bingu?” She chuckled and raised their joined hands, “Why not?”

 

“Why not?” He repeated.

 

“Shin Hye...” Seunghyun shyly spoke, “I’m really not familiar with other bands to be honest. Sorry about that.”

 

Shin Hye burst out laughing again. “I knew it.”

 

“And...” He continued, “And when you meet that someone, tell Oppa alright?”

 

Shin Hye nodded.

 

“And...” Seunghyun took a deep breath, “I think I found a guy more bingu than me...”

 

Shin Hye stopped, and so did Seunghyun.

 

With eyes his expressive on hers, he said, “Jung Yonghwa.”

 

No one spoke afterwards.

 

Shin Hye can’t read him but his eyes were piercing thru hers. She was hearing a pounding sound, and it was a bit late when she realized it was her heart. She knew what he meant by that.

 

“He’s a bingu for letting you go.” He went on.

 

Shin Hye didn’t know whether to breathe through or to swallow hard – she can’t decide. In fact her mind’s isn’t processing anything right now. But before she can even choose, a kiss in the forehead just made her numb and blank that second.

 

“It’s his loss, not yours.” He then smiled. “Take care, Shin Hye.”

 

When he turned his back, Seunghyun hoped Shin Hye didn’t see how he hesitated for a split-second. He wanted say more, wanted to say something else more than ‘it’s his loss, not yours’. But he chickened out. He didn’t know how much vulnerable she is up to this day and he doesn’t want to be testing it. He walked back to the wedding hall he’s supposed to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter