Chapter 2: Telepathy

Movie Star

The sun shines through the blinds left drawn from the night before. With the sound of the birds chirping and the hot sun beating on his back, Yunho slowly awakens. He's in a strangely bright mood, and while he starts getting ready for the day, he finds himself humming a new, but familiar, song. He can't seem to remember what it was, but he decides to let it pass.

As the morning goes on, and Changmin has awaken, Yunho finds himself humming that song from earlier again.

“Beautiful, young and free...”

“Oh! Hyung, I guess you really liked Jieun's song then,” Changmin remarks.

Yunho finally realized why it sounded so familiar... After the concert the night before, TVXQ had many schedules to attend to, he gradually forgot the events with Jieun.

“Yeah...I guess so,” Yunho frowns, “but I definitely didn't like her personality!”

In all honesty, Yunho wasn't the type to think bad of someone. He usually doesn't judge a person based on first appearance, but Jieun seemed to rile him up. Whether it was in a good way as when he first saw her, or in a bad way like when he actually met her. Yunho didn't know how to feel at the moment, and felt conflicted in his current feelings towards Jieun.

Yunho decides to look up Jieun's song on the internet, and he sees some of her past songs. He clicks on a recently released video, 'Don't Look At Me', and starts watching it.

As the song goes on he starts understanding the lyrics and the meaning behind it. Yunho feels shocked. There's no other way to describe his current state of being. He wouldn't have thought an idol, who is on top of conservative South Korea, would willingly promote a song of such meaning.

Yunho finds himself watching more videos of her, and he finds himself smiling and laughing at her cute personality. 'Why then', Yunho wonders, 'is the Jieun he met much more different from her appearance in interviews?'

He comes across another video where some man stalks and scares Jieun. The lyrics the man says simply disturbs Yunho, and he suddenly has the urge to protect Jieun, although he knows the video is just fictional. The video comes to an end but he replays it, as he couldn't properly listen to the song before, since he was too focused on the lyrics. He finally hears Jieun's vocals, and her dazzling voice [dazzles] him once again. Whenever she sings the chorus, chills visibly crawl through his body. This never happened with him before, even when he first heard, his old friend, Junsu's voice.

Changmin passes by Yunho's room, but then backtracks as he see Yunho doing something dumb again. Changmin knocks at Yunho's to try to get his attention. No response. Changmin stops for a moment, and just watches Yunho mindlessly replay a video almost a million times, hoping Yunho will just have a slow reaction to his knock. A few minutes pass. No response, once again. Changmin starts recognizing the video, and realize it's no other than 'Going Crazy' by Jieun and Yongguk. He is appalled. He honestly thought Yunho was doing something productive, like revising their performance last night. He storms up to Yunho, slightly irritated.

“Hey!” He yanks Yunho's headphones off his head. “ You do realize we have an interview in twenty minutes, and you aren't even remotely ready!”

Yunho bounces back from the sheer amount of force Changmin used to rip his headphones out. He slowly leans back in fear as Changmin was yelling at him. He hates seeing this side of Changmin, but only because his anger scares him to death.

Although Yunho remains in fear, he gets the hint and jumps up to start getting ready. Changmin heads out of the room in a huff.

“Oh,” Changmin stops for a moment, and gives a half turn towards Yunho, “good luck with that crush you've got on Jieun.” He smiles and winks at the flustered Yunho. “But it'll be fine, I mean, you've only got the entire nation up against you.”

Yunho is left standing there, as he wonders just what has he got himself into.

 



On the airplane back to Seoul from the concert, Jieun has trouble resting. She tried reading a book to help her fall asleep, because she has a drama to film when she gets back to Seoul. She knows she needs all the rest she can get, but her thoughts keep getting plagued by that damned man at the concert. She's usually not affected by men who take interest in her, because she knows in the end it will turn out disastrous. Something about that guy though, makes her believe that he might be different from the rest. With her experience of manipulative people, to her, his words felt sincere.
'Oh' Jieun thought, 'He didn't even know who I was at first, also he seemed to have misgivings towards me when I accused him of not knowing me'
Deep in her musings, Jieun didn't hear Hana calling out to her.


“Hey, we're arriving soon,” Hana whispers to her as Jieun hums in acknowledgment. “Will you be alright? It looks like you haven't slept a wink.”

“Yeah I guess I'll be alright.”

Jieun contemplates for a little longer how she should feel about that man when she realizes she doesn't even know his name. She glances over Hana's drooping head and notices that, thankfully, Sunhwa is still awake. She stealthily moves to sit beside Sunhwa while keeping from awaking Hana.

Jieun says, “Who was that group we were talking to at the concert? The duo.” Sunhwa is startled at Jieun's sudden question and briefly wonders when she sat there, before processing the question Jieun asked.

“Mmhh,” Sunhwa replies groggily, “hmm, they are popular in Japan, but unknown in Korea even though they are Korean, and their name is, Tohoshimggi?...no, Tohoshimki...no no wait...”

Sunhwa seemed completely out of it, and Jieun gave up on her giving a coherent answer. She decided to just search it herself, and it turned out their name is Tohoshinki, and not whatever Sunhwa was saying. She clicked on the first video she found, which was a recent single of theirs, Time Works Wonders.

Tears almost threatened to fall from Jieun's eyes. Their voices were beautiful, and blended together magically. The funky beat made into a ballad was just what Jieun loved, and they performed it wondrously.

Sunhwa shifted awake from hearing the song being replayed multiple times. With her eyes half closed, she starts watching what Jieun's watching over Jieun's shoulder. It takes her a few moments to recognize them, but when she does she shouts, “Oh! Changmin!,” waking up other passengers in the process.

Completely forgetting about Sunhwa, Jieun starts at Sunhwa's outburst. Sunhwa's eyes are wide open now, and Jieun can see her getting excited.

“Aah! I forgot to tell you, the cute one is Changmin!” Sunhwa's information feels useless for Jieun, but noticing the one who Sunhwa keeps gazing at, it's easy to tell who she's talking about.

Jieun takes out her headphones this time, and shares it with Sunhwa. She decides to click on another video called Duet.

Sunhwa and Jieun both listen to it with eagerness in their eyes, and ears. As they listen on, they both enjoy the song endlessly. They take in Tohoshinki's voices and within them, they know, these two boys will have a terrific impact on their lives.