Chapter 1: Beautiful You

Movie Star

It is two o'clock in the afternoon. Jung Yunho wanders around uselessly, while looking for a way to pass time. He and Shim Changmin both finished their stage rehearsal for the Japan Hallyu Wave event, and there didn't seem to be anything else to do except wander. He starts to pass TVXQ's area and reaches where the other artists areas lie. He bows politely to everyone he passes, while looking for a familiar face. Seeing Changmin a couple feet away, he sees him talking to someone he does not know. Walking shyly up to them, Yunho taps Changmin on the shoulder and bows to the unknown girl.


"Hey Changmin who is your friend"


“Oh! Hi Yunho, I worked with her on a show in South Korea, she's a member of Secret, you’ve heard of them right?"


Yunho had heard of them indeed, and about their immense popularity, but he never had the opportunity to get to know them.

He casually says, "Ah.. yeah Hyoseon-ssi, right?" He immediately regretted saying that as her face fell; Changmin could have cried right then and there.
 

She laughs politely and says, "I am actually Han Sunhwa, and it would be Hyosung not Hyoseon."


Yunho's soul left his body, he would've been better off admitting he didn't know her. Red as a tomato he awkwardly laughs and sends them off on their way, escaping while he can before he embarrasses himself more. He starts wandering again and gets lost in his thoughts. He glances back at the couple and sees Changmin smiling and blushing in a way he's never seen him do before. Realizing that Changmin may have deeper feelings for Sunhwa, Yunho is glad that she  came into Changmin's life.
Yunho walks around without a certain destination in mind but stops suddenly as his eyes land on a girl. A girl with a certain definable figure. There seems an alluring aura around her and just like every other person within her vicinity, Yunho becomes completely and absolutely mesmerized by her presence. He doesn't notice himself doing this, but he starts to subtly track her every movements with his eyes. He notices everything about her; from her small face to her wide eyes, and her soft lips. Yunho does not realize how long he's there marveling at her before Changmin nudges him and says it's almost time to start the performance.

 

He absentmindedly nods but then stops Changmin and asks, "Do you know who that is?" as he points towards where the girl is sitting. Changmin gives him a weird look, appearing to be slightly baffled also.

 

He stutters, "Y-you mean you don't..you do not know w-who that is?!!" He exhales exasperatedly, "Damn, Yunho! How can you be so out of touch with South Korea? You’ve only been gone a couple of months!”"


Yunho feels beyond flustered at this point; Changmin's voice rose to above a whisper and nearing a shout, causing people to look their way. Yunho glances around uncomfortable for a couple seconds until Changmin gets the hint and lowly whispers, "anyways, she is Jieun, Song Jieun." He looks at Yunho expectantly as if he should know who that is.

 

Yunho waits rather impatiently but when Changmin doesn’t continue on he listlessly says, "...and who is that?" Changmin sighs with exasperation and ponders on how Yunho can be so dense.
 

"She's a member of the girl group Secret, she's loved by everyone and she's the sweetest and the purest, she's titled as 'South Korea’s little sister', because everyone wants to take care of her." Changmin kept babbling on and on about how amazing this 'Song Jieun' is,

“and also shes a rave actress in many hit movies...” and looking back on it Yunho realizes that he may have seen her before...somewhere...
Yunho's musings are interrupted by a clear, soft feminine voice saying,

 

"You don't know who I am?!"


Yunho whips his head around and is shocked to see the girl of his musings staring back at him, and with a rather offended look on her face.
"Jieun!" Changmin flustered. He tried laughing it off and said,

"Aha he's just joking! He knows who you are!! Aha..."

While Changmin was trying to ease off Jieun's suspicions, Yunho was desperately trying to wipe off the nasty sneer on his face. He couldn’t believe it. It seems to him that Jieun was just a snotty brat. Does she think she has some sort of entitlement over people. Not everyone knows who you are, he exaggeratedly thinks. Her first statement to them ruins his initial thinking about her personality. Changmin's rambling about how amazing she appears on TV and her wonderful voice is probably all just--


"..Yunho, it's now time for our performance, lets get ready," Changmin shakes Yunho out of his negative musings and moves them away from the girl.

 

They both quickly forget about Jieun in their hastened frenzy to get on the stage in time. They perform their three hit songs with the utmost energy and finish off with a little message to their fans. In the background, as she gets ready for the next stage, Jieun watches their performance, and she is shocked at their immense stage presence. She didn't realize she was on the edge of her seat, anticipating their every move until her stylist had to pull her back to finish her hair. She also didn't notice the way her eyes always stayed on Yunho, and how she was only really watching him perform. She always heard of TVXQ's popularity in Japan, but now she can see why anyone anywhere would be interested in them.
 

"Aahh!! Chang- TVXQ are so amazing!" Sunhwa squeals.

Jieun and the rest of the Secret members roll their eyes; no matter how much she denies it, it's obvious of her affection for the boy.
It's Secrets time to perform and they pass TVXQ on the way to the stage. they congratulate them on their performance and they wish them good luck except for Jieun who keeps on walking by them without a second glance. Yunho notices this and once again starts to think negatively about her. 'Wow, she must really have a rotten personality' he muses.
Secret are on stage getting in their positions. Sunhwa looks back and Changmin sends her a thumbs up sign and she blushes but feels uplifted. Their song set list is Madonna-Love is Move- I'm In Love and then a solo performance of Jieun's new song, 25. However when the beat for Magic starts, and the girls turn frantic and don't know what to do, Jieun immediately guides the rest of members to just go along with it. Yunho is shocked at Jieun's quick intuitive reaction, he doesn’t think any fan will even recognize the blunder.  Secrets next performances go without fault and after TVXQ's performance, the audience is amazed at Secrets energy a d enthusiasm; its almost rivaling TVXQ's. Yunho himself is awed at their professionalism. He sees three members exiting the stage, and is curious as to who is staying and why...is someone giving a speech, he wonders. As three of the members exit the stage, Yunho is left curious as to who it is that's staying and why. He is left wondering if someone is giving a speech, when he realizes hat the only member that hasn't exited yet is Jieun. He notices after the members came back that it's Jieun who stays back on stage. Wondering whats going on he checks the set list on the back of a door and sees that Jieun has a solo stage. In fact, shes even the final act, which furthers Yunho's anticipation of her performance.

 

In fact, shes even the final act, which furthers Yunho's anticipation of her performance. he is supposed to get ready for the encore stage, but he decides to stop and listen to Jieun sing.

A few moments pass. Yunho seems to be holding his breath, waiting for the start. The air is silent, only the steady breathing of Yunho's lungs. can be heard. Yunho blurs out the rest of the world as his eyes rest on Jieun. She figuratively glows amongst the dark stage surrounding her. Yunho is swept out of his out of character, musings when the spotlight shines on her, and the beat begins. The crowd goes wild at the familiar tune and the fan chants start, but Yunho is tuning it all out. He sees Jieun with a warm smile on, and renewed energy in her limbs. He's completely taken in and feels himself enjoying the song as it plays through. It isn't until the until he recognizes the beauty in Jieun's voice. Thin and soft, yet strong and attractive. The song ends on its final note, and Jieun waves to the audience and starts walking backstage. Yunho impulsively makes a move towards her, but she brushes past him in haughty manner.

He feels bristled by her attitude, but still shyly says, "I've never heard anything quite like it," Jieun pauses in her step but doesn't turn around, "your voice, I mean." He hesitates but then adds, "It's beautiful. Insanely beautiful."
Yunho then leaves briskly, brushing past her in a haste. He doesn't notice that she hasn't moved not one bit. He doesn't notice the faint pink blush across her cheeks, and her eyes, shell shocked with the unimaginable youth. She doesn't realize that time is moving along around her. She has her mind in Never land, and all she can think about is the warm whisper of his voice saying the words, 'insanely beautiful.'