Final

Unimpeachable Fugitive

It was a bright and sunny Monday, when everyone was off to work early in the morning. Fishes were swimming in the water, and birds were flying around the sky like there was no tomorrow. I could hear little birds chirping happily as their mother fed them with various insects that it found.

I shifted my head a little and take a look of the alarm clock that was placed on the small white pedestal table beside my bed. It showed half past seven. Time to get up, Jageun. I yawned as I pushed the thick warm blanket aside so that I could free my legs and put on my comfortable pink room slippers. I had to get up or else my mom would start her usual nagging.

My mom doesn't have a job, which means she's unemployed. Surprisingly, our family lived in a luxury life even though my dad too, is an unemployed person. Is it because we're from a royal family? Or is it because I'm from a family whose ancestor is a multi-billionaire and they left us unfinished riches?

Well, for your information, your assumptions are all wrong. My family is not an ordinary family. I don't have father who is a lawyer or a doctor. I don't have a mother who is an elementary school teacher or a college lecturer. Why? It was because my family robbed banks as their job. Sometimes, if we’re lucky, we got to rob houses or cars, but it would mostly be banks because big sums of money were there. It was just me, my mother, and my father.

I did ask my mom once the reason of robbing banks rather than having a real, firm job. She replied, "Dear, both your father and I dropped out of high school. Nobody wanted to hire a person without qualification, you see. So rather than sleeping out on the streets, we earn money by robbing banks."

I had been living as an imposter in my entire life because whenever mom or dad succeeded in robbing a bank, we had to move from town to town, from cities to cities, from state to state to prevent getting caught by police or detectives.  I never actually had a real name because once people know who I am, my identity would be exposed or my family secrets can get spread. I even had a name called 'Park Shin Hye' once which was rather funny. 'Jageun' was a name mom and dad called me by and it actually means 'small' because of my small body structure.

I dragged my feet towards the wardrobe and randomly grabbed a thights and cream-coloured hoodie that wrote 'I Hate Mondays' which fitted my current mood pretty well. I don't do schools because my mom is afraid that if I made friends, I would accidently blurt out our family secrets. I studied by myself from the internet.

"Mom, I'm going out," I informed my mom as I passed by the living hall. She responded with a look that says 'where to?’ "Oh, I’m going to the park." My mom gave me a brief look and nodded her head, "Okay, but don't come home too late, alright? Wait," she stopped me from walking out of the porch. I gave her baffled look and she pushed something red on my chest. "You forgot your coat." After handing my coat, mom looked around me and then hesitated. "Jageun-ah, what are you holding in your hand?"

Mom raised an eyebrow to get some answers from me. I quickly hid the loaf of bread that I had "stole" from the ladder behind my back. I couldn't let mom know and I don't know why. You see, the only thing that I enjoyed doing by myself is feeding ducks that was in the pond near the park. I love the sight of them because ducks are always together as a flock and they had a real place called 'home'. 

The sky was getting a little darker as the clouds are all forming together to produce rain. I love rains so I don't mind much about getting soaked or catching a cold. I sat on the usual bench that was placed near the pond and started throwing bread crumbs at the ducks. "Hey," a deep but angelic voice greeted me as I watched the flock of ducks gobbling the crumbs away hungrily.

"God, you scared me!" I replied with a shocked as I turned to find the source of the sound. "Who are you?"

The guy scratched the back of his neck in embarrassment. "Hi, I... I don't mean to scare you but-" My eyes was still wide open as I haven't return to my senses. Nobody ever come to this park which was not a surprise because people are always working or busy with school stuffs and they just doesn't have the time to relax. "A-Are you alright?" the guy asked me worriedly with eyes that was focusing on mine. I return him a nod and he let out a sigh of relieve. "I'm Han, Luhan. Yea, I know, I'm a Chinese who can speak fluently in Korean. I get that a lot. Mind if I join you?"

He was directing me to the seat beside me and I nodded. I just couldn't say no. My, that guy is hot! On the first sight, he left me speechless, like speechless. He had the baby-face look on him and his eye was like dark chocolate melting under the sun and causes it to sparkle. His hair was blond in colour which I presume that he dyed it and he had those smiles that could melt anyone's heart.

I could feel my heartbeat was speeding rapidly and oh god, was I blushing? I think I am because I can feel my cheeks burning like mom just finish boiling the soup that we had for dinner yesterday. I think this means, love at the first sight. "So… Chinese huh?"

He gave me a small chuckle and nodded his head. "Long story." I beamed and came closer to him. He had the voice that make people want to know him more and be friends with him. I smiled and replied, "Tell me about it." He looked at me like I was some stalker trying to get information about his family. Hello there, I'm not a sasaeng fan or whatever. "Well, both my parents are Chinese but my mom was raised in Korea.

"She was adopted by a Korean couple at the age of four. My parents met each other in Shanghai while studying the same course at the same college. So, 'boom!" there you go. My mom return to her adopted parents’ house every three months but whenever she came back home in China, she would get home sick. My father loves my mom a lot so he decided to please her by moving to Korea, for good."

Wow, I can see Lu Han's parent's love for each other is just pure true love. I wish mom and dad had that affection towards each other rather than arguing with each other from day to night. "I admire your parents, a lot. Unlike mine, they would always-" I stopped as I realized that it was too much. Next thing I knew, my family and I would end up in jail. "Forget that. Anyways, your fluent Korean must be from that lovely mother of yours, I presume?"

He gave me a really wide smile and nodded. "Yeah, you bet... uh, I still don't know your name." As I was going to replied him the name my parents called me by, I quickly shut my mouth. Not again. "I-It's Shin Hye, Park Shin Hye." He stared at me in utter disbelief. "Do you mean like Park Shin Hye from 'The Heirs'?" I nodded my head shyly. "Wow that is... that is really cool! Your mom must be a really big fan of her, huh?"

I gave him a little smile of 'yes' which was not true. Do you think I should reply him, "Ha-ha, no. I'm the one who's the big fan of her. My mom is a really big fan of robbing banks and guesses what? The next bank she's going to rob is Hana Bank and you're currently sitting with an imposter who can kill you just in seconds"? Do you think I'm that crazy to tell him that?

Well, okay, since that day onwards, Lu Han would always come to the park to accompany me feeding bread crumbs to the ducks after coming back from school. Whenever the why-don't-you-go-school question pops up, I would manage to shrug it off. We had a good time chatting about each other's hobbies, telling each other a joke and giggling all the way until night fall. 

I could feel the sparks between us is happening and I know, our relationship is getting dangerous. 

 

One day, as we're sitting on the park bench while watching the ducks gobbling the bread crumbs, my hands that were placed beside me accidently hit Lu Han's hand. I immediately looked at him to apologize and I saw he was staring back at me. His eyes were looking right through mine but I couldn't guess what he was thinking. As I was going to looked back at the pond, Lu Han pulled by left arm hardly which causes my back to knock to his chest. I frowned and tried to face him to ask the reason of him doing that.

To my great surprise, Lu Han kissed me. I was beyond shocked and I didn't know how to react. His lips were soft on mine and I can feel his breath near my face. He kissed me. While closing both his eyes, he slightly broke the kiss and put on a mischievous smile. "In this situation, you should close your eyes, Park Shin Hye-ssi," he smirked while saying it teasingly. He then gave me another deep kiss and I felt like I just became a bird that flew around the sky. 

At that time, I promised to myself that I would never leave him, nor make him sad or anything. I just wanted him. I had never felt so wanted in my entire life until this charming Chinese guy showed up. One thing is for sure though. Lu Han was the best thing that had ever happened to me, and even if I died today, I died without regrets.

 

"Jageun-ah, Jageun-ah! Wake up, hurry!"

I heard my mom shouting while she roughly shook me. I used my pillow and covered my ears furiously. I hate it when people tried to disturbed my beauty sleep. I was extremely tired today because I couldn't sleep a wink yesterday as I was trying to figure out the kiss that Lu Han started. "Ugh mom, five more minutes, oh? Just five more minutes."

"Jageun!" my mom shouted even louder than before. She angrily pulled away the blanket that was keeping me warm and slapped my bare legs. I frowned and got up, enraged. I gave her an 'ouch' look and she just totally ignored it. "Jageun-ah, we have to hurry! Your dad and I had just robbed Hana Bank and I think the police succeeded in tracking us. We have to make a quick run! Grab anything that is important, now!"

"Mom!" I hollered at my mom. "Are you serious? Hana Bank, mom, it is freaking Hana Bank! Mom, that was like the largest bank in Seoul and you do know we could end up being sentenced?! Mom, why mom? Couldn't my life get any better?"

My mom gave me a guilty look and sigh sadly. "I'm sorry dear, I'm really sorry. I promise you, this is the last time. There isn't a next time, alright? Now, quickly pack up." I nodded my head and stuffed anything that is important to me inside my bag. Police car sirens could be heard throughout the neighbourhood as I was heading downstairs to find mom and dad. My parents started to get panicked and I was left standing blanked. I wasn't sure what was happening and I wasn't sure what to do next. To me, getting my family to safety comes first.

A knocked was heard on the front door. I looked at my mom and dad in shocked for answers because no one ever knocks on our door. "Mom? Dad? I think... someone's at the door."

Dad quickly pushed both me and my mom towards the kitchen back door. He placed both his palms on my shoulder and looked into my eyes. This is the first time dad ever looked at me properly and I was a little taken aback. "Jageun-ah, you are a brave girl, do you know that? Dad is really proud of you and I always will, remember that."

He then lifted his hands up and turned at my mom. "Honey, take Jageun and yourself for safety, I'll take care of this." I saw mom was trying hard to not cry but I guess she couldn't hold it. Dad slowly used his thumb and wipe away the tears that was forming on her cheek, "Hey, hey, hey. I'll be fine okay? We promised to live happily together, remember? Hurry, we don't have much time! Go, I love you." Mom was bursting in tears as my dad kissed her forehead tenderly.

Mom grabbed my wrist and dashed out from the kitchen back door. "Mom, what about dad? We can't leave him!" I could see mom was busily wiping her tears as she the car engine. She then pulled the car to the streets and drove. She looked at me with a thin smile, "Your dad will be fine, Jageun-ah. Don't worry."

Lu Han. His name on my head when mom drove past his house. "Mom, stop the car." My mom gave me a baffled look and ignored what I said moments ago. "Mom, STOP THE CAR!" I screamed at my mom. I almost felt like I was going to fly out of the car as mom suddenly stepped on the brakes.

I quickly opened the door and headed to Lu Han's house that was five blocks away from the car. I ran as fast as my legs can carry. I knocked onto his front door vigorously and shouted his name each time. His front door flung open and there he is, the man that I love, Lu Han. "My god, Jageun-ah. Why are you here? It's three in the morning," he replied sleepily and gave a yawn. "Why? Do you miss me that much?" He joked.

But there just wasn't time for joke. I jumped onto his chest and hugged him tightly. I cried. I really did. It felt so painful thinking of leaving the man that I love. "Shin Hye-ah, what happened? Did-"

"Let me speak," I stopped him and broke myself off from his chest. "Han, listen here. I love you, I really do but I don't think we can be together. We should break up. It's better for the both of us and I'm leaving here for good."

Lu Han pulled me closer but I shook my head and take a step back. I was afraid that if I come any closer to him, I couldn't hold myself. He gave up pulling me and laughed a little. I looked at him like he was some sort of lunatic to laugh in this situation. "Why? Is it because your family robbed banks?"

I could felt my eyes going wider and rounder. How does he know that? "How-"

"You seem pretty sensitive when I ask you about schools and your family so I got curious," he answered shyly. "So I followed you home and I overheard your parent’s conversations about robbing banks."

"What about the kiss?" I wanted to know. I wanted to know if that kiss was sincere or was he just using me to find information for the police. I felt betrayed. "Do you even love me?"

"The kiss is real," Lu Han cupped both side of my cheeks. Tears started rolling down my cheeks. I don't know why I cried but maybe this is what love feels like. "My love for you is real too. I love you."

I quickly pushed his hands away and looked at him angrily. This doesn't make sense. Nobody would love an imposter; nobody would love a girl whose family robbed banks. I don't believe. I just can't. "Stop lying, Lu Han. You think you can fool me? Aren't you mad at me? I lied to you all about my identity! My real name is Jageun, not some Park Shin Hye from "The Heirs". Do you know that?"

Lu Han smiled and cupped my cheeks again. "I'm not lying and I'm not mad at you. And now I know you're Jageun, not Shin Hye." He kissed me passionately and I kissed him back while crying. I am happy, I really am. Lu Han loves me and I love him. "Why?" I mumbled in the kiss.

"Because," Lu Han broke off the kiss and touched his forehead on mine. "Jageun is not a robber physically or mentally. She's an unimpeachable fugitive."

"An unimpeachable fugitive?" I smiled while giving him a peck on the cheek. "That sounds nice."

We finally parted and I left without saying goodbye, because I know that one day, I'll meet him again. When that day comes, please wait for me, Lu Han. I will always love you.

 


`author's note

Hey there! How was the one-shot that I improvised?
I actually improvised A LOT because my friend only wrote 650 words and I wrote 2914 words xD
Hope you like it tho. I secretly wish to write a sequel (draggable) but it all depends on you guys!
Thanks for the support :D