Prelude to Affair

Black Pearls

(I got a little carried away so let's just consider this a pre-chapter to the actual song fic. I hope you all enjoy it and come back to read the rest of the story. Also, forgive any mistakes; I wrote this on my iPad.)

 

When a case goes un solved without any new leads, the detectives working it begin to lose faith in their abilities.  That was the case with the "Black Pearl Disappearances" as the press was calling it.. The case had been ongoing for almost a month now and Hongbin was beginning to lose his faith that he could actually solve the mystery. To make matters worse, the number of victims had increased over the last few weeks. Instead of only one person every week, the rate had increased to four per week. Each time the only lead they had were the black pearls; and some lead that was when they carried no trace of DNA or any other clue to lead them to the missing persons.  

In a meeting with the director, Hongbin was told that the Korean government had sent for specialists or "professionals" to help the police solve the case.  There isn't a person alive who likes being told how to do their job...especially when they had a record like our hero.  Hongbin was being put under pressure to uphold his pride and the reputation of his entire department.  

Weeks of logical reasoning hadn't helped him solve this case and he was sure that no specialist would be able to accomplish what he had been unable to do. Even so, he went along with the orders from the higher ups. It wasn't until the victim count reached the teens that Hongbin decided to talk to the young woman that seemed to always show up just after each new missing persons report. He noticed the concerned look she wore on her face as she desperately searched for someone to listen. 

"Excuse me, Miss?" She girl turned quickly toward him. The first thing he noticed was the crystalline quality of her eyes. It was almost as if the looked right through him; that unsettled him more than some of the criminals he had come face to face with. "You came because of the new missing person, correct?" She nods then glances around before leaning in and whispering. 

"I think I can help with the investigation. I saw what happened."  Hongbin looks at her skeptically. Could she really be telling the truth? "The last person who went missing was Song Min Hee. She disappeared from her apartment last night when her boyfriend went to the corner store. Right?" He couldn't believe what he was hearing; she was telling him all the information that he had only just heard during his team meeting. 

"How do you....?" Hongbin drags her outside so they won't be overheard. "You realize that this makes you seem like the criminal. It isn't possible for anyone but the police and the perpetrator to know details like that." He runs his hand through his hair wondering if he should arrest her or listen to everything she has to say. To his surprise she smiles before continuing.

"I know. I know it makes me suspicious. I know I shouldn't know all this. I honestly wish I didn't know everything." She looks directly at him with her unnaturally clear eyes. "A year ago today my sister went missing." She holds up her wrist to show him a bracelet with three black pearls. "I went to the police about it but they didn't believe me. She always said she wanted to run away from home if she had a chance; that's what made everyone believe she left on her own. But she never would've left without me." 

"But how do you know about the other missing persons?" He could hardly process what this strange girl was trying to tell him. 

"I told you!" She raised her voice out of frustration for a moment before closing her eyes and taking a deep breath. After calming herself down she began to speak again. "I told you, I saw it happen. It's hard to explain how I saw it...I just, I See things. Ever since my sister went missing, I keep seeing these people disappear in visions." Hongbin can't help but laugh.

"Visions? What, your some kind of psychic?" He puts his hands on his hips and shakes his head. "This is making me crazy. Look, I don't know how you know about Song but, I don't believe in any of that supernatural crap." He waves his hand, gesturing her to leave. "Just go. Leave the investigation to the police." The girl glares at him.

"I understand why you're skeptical. I was too at first. You should give me a chance, though." He shakes his head in disbelief.

"Just go before I arrest you as a suspect." He heads back into the station and turns when he reaches the door. "I really hope we don't see each other again." He goes back to his desk and sighs in frustration. He thought being unable to solve the case was bad enough but now he even had to deal with a crazy person. Visions? He had never believed in anything supernatural and one girl wasn't going to change that.

After his run-in with the 'psychic' the rest of Hongbin's day was uneventful...except for the fact that he couldn't get the image of her haunting eyes out of his mind. To him, she didn't seem like she was lying but who would believe that she actually saw the disappearances before they happened? And if she did, why didn't she call it in so they could prevent it from happening? 

Pushing his thoughts to the back of his mind, he gathers his papers and gets ready to go home. As he is heading out the door, he overhears a rookie on the phone.
"Miss, no matter how many times you call, the chief said not we wouldn't take anymore of your tips. He said psychics weren't a reliable source. Please stop calling." Thinking it could be the girl from earlier, Hongbin stops the boy from hanging up.

"Let me talk to her real quick." The rookie just shrugs and goes back to his duties. "Hello? Is this the young woman who came to the station early this morning?" He inwardly scolds himself for even thinking talking to her again was a good idea.

"Yes, that's right. I came this morning about Miss Song. I'm calling because I know who the next victim will be." He hangs his head and is silent for a moment before speaking again. 

"Did you have another vision? What am I saying...?" He lets out a frustrated sigh. "Where are you right now? We can meet and you can tell me what you know."

"Really? I'm actually at a cafe just down the street from the station. I will wait here until you come. Goodbye!" She quickly hangs up and Hongbin rubs his hands over his eyes. Why was he meeting her? Unable to come up with a logical answer, he drove to the café to meet with the woman he still believed was crazy.

Upon his arrival, he spotted her seated near a window and preceded to the table. As he sat down, he wondered how he could explain why HE was the one who was meeting her after expressing his hopes of never seeing her again.

"Did you decide to give me a chance?" She gets a smug look on her face when Hongbin's face reddens slightly from embarrassment. 

"No. I just always believed that you should check up on a tip if there is even the slightest possibility of it being true..." He clears his throat, knowing he was just making excuses. "Anyway, you said you knew who the next target was..?" She gives him a knowing look before sliding him a piece of paper with an address on it.

"His name is Jin Soon Yong. As you can see from the address, his apartment is near Miss Song's. He will go missing tonight after he arrives home from work." Hongbin looks at the address then up at the girl across from him. Once again, he was stunned by how haunting her eyes were. How could eyes be that clear? As questions floated around his head, he realized the girl was speaking again. "So, are you going to check it out or not?" He looks away from her and nods slightly.

"I will check it out....But you are coming with me. I need to make sure that you are a reliable source and that you aren't a suspect." 

"That's fair enough. We should get going though, he should be arriving home in half an hour and it takes twenty minutes to reach that apartment building from here." The girl quietly stands up and the unlikely pair make their way to the home of Mr. Jin. 

When they arrive at the building, they rush the find his apartment. As they near his door, Hongbin notices that it isn't closed properly and a distressed call comes from within. Pushing the door open the rest of the way, the pair rush into the apartment only to see Jin disappear right in front of them into what looked to be....bubbles. Left on the floor, where the man had been just seconds before, were three small black pearls.