02.

Dark Star

/2\

Time has a funny way of moving when you’re out in the black. It doesn’t speed up, it slows down. Sehun is sure it’s been months since they left earth but in reality it has been only two days. Two agonizing days where Sehun had gone back forth from believing Luhan is alive and hiding somewhere and that Luhan is dismembered and spread around the city. Sehun was still in the sick bay, still in too much pain to walk, and it was really starting to get to him.

After only a few more days does Sehun finally get to leave the sick bay and join Tao and Yixing on the upper level where the bunks and mess hall are located along with the cockpit of the ship.

Sehun didn’t talk to either of them all that much. He just sat in the mess hall, which was small, and stared at the wall. When he stared at the wall, he thought of Luhan. When his time in the mess hall came to an end he went to his bunk and tried in vain to get a few hours of sleep.

Only a few days after leaving the sick bay does an idea begin to form in the back of Sehun’s mind. It’s an idea that will almost definitely result in failure but Sehun was going to try. He’s going to get on the comm and he’s going to send Luhan a message. Sehun is going to pray that Luhan is near a radio, one that will pick up his transmission, and reply to him.

Sehun knew deep down his plan will never work but he also knows it’s at least worth trying.

-

A few hours later Sehun entered the cockpit. Yixing was sitting in the captains seat staring out at the black the spans forever in front of them. Yixing didn’t turn to Sehun as Sehun sat down in the chair next to him.

“So much nothing,” Yixing murmured. “It just goes on like this forever,”

Sehun hummed in agreement. Then, “You should get some rest you look really exhausted. I can watch for awhile.”

Yixing finally turned and looked at Sehun. “You won’t do anything stupid right?” Sehun nodded. “Okay but I’ll be back after twenty minutes,” Yixing said stressing the length of time.

Yixing left, trusting Sehun not to do anything stupid. Sehun didn’t move toward the comms until he heard the door slide shut and seal behind him.

Sehun maneuvered his body over to the comms and picked up the radio. Sehun was thankful that he took a whole course on space navigation, it taught him a lot of things he had thought were useless. They aren’t so useless right now though.. Sehun knew how to get a signal to earth even from as far away as the ship was right then. His signal would reach Earth. It would reach Luhan, he hoped at least.

“Luhan,” Sehun said into the receiver. “If you can hear me reply. Please, I’ll come back for you. Luhan are you there?” Sehun made sure his message was on a loop. Then without anything else left to do, Sehun went back his seat to wait.

-

Sehun became restless every minute that passed without a reply from Luhan. It had already been an hour, Yixing must have really fallen asleep too because he wasn’t back yet, and Sehun was losing more hope second by second that passed.

Yixing stumbled into the cockpit after another half hour had passed. He sat back down in the captains seat. “Anything happen while I was out?” Yixing asked looking out the glass windshield at the vast nothing that laid before them.

Sehun shook his head. “Nothing but black empty space,” Sehun said with no emotion in his voice whatsoever.

A red light blinked on the comm station brightly turning Sehun’s attention away from the emptiness in front of him.

“What’s that?” Yixing asked fixing his gaze on the blinking light too.

Sehun swallowed down a bubble of hope that tried to escape his throat. “A transmission,” he said to Yixing keeping his voice calm. “Someone sent a transmission to us.” Sehun was up and out of his seat so quickly that Yixing jumped a little in surprise.

Sehun completely ignored Yixing and answered the incoming transmission. “Sehun?” A small voice said over the air. The comm crackled but it was clear enough for Sehun to know who the voice belonged to.

Sehun quickly scooped up the receiver. “Luhan? Are you alright?” Sehun wanted to ask Luhan so many questions about his well being but he held himself back.

“I’m hiding, I’m safe,” Luhan said softly. “Where are you Sehun?”

Sehun swallowed hard. Luhan had no idea that Sehun was so far away from him right then. He probably thought Sehun was hiding somewhere within an hour of himself. “I’m in a ship. I’m far away.”

Luhan made a noise sounding almost like a sob. “You’re in space? You left me behind Sehun?”

Guilt clawed at Sehun’s insides. “No, Yixing took me, I wanted to go back to you but I was hurt,” Sehun said in a rush. He leaves out the part about Yixing being too much of a coward to go get Luhan. “There was nothing I could do.” Sehun said voice quiet.

“I understand,” Luhan murmured. “I’m alright though so you don’t have to worry. Don’t worry about me Sehun.”

Tears threatened to spill out of Sehun’s eyes at the way Luhan’s voice sounded. He sounded so small, so scared, Sehun wanted to save him.

“I’ll come back for you Luhan.” Sehun said voice b with confidence.

“Sehun.” Yixing warned from behind. “Don’t.”

Sehun ignored him. “I’ll come back and save you then we’ll escape together. I’ll come back for you not matter what it takes.”

“Sehun,” Luhan said so softly it broke Sehun’s heart. “Don’t. If you come back we’ll both die. Things are-- Things are really bad here.”

Sehun completely ignored Luhan’s words. “Where are you? I’ll come to you.”

Sehun could just barely make out Luhan’s tear choked words. “Sehun if you come back you will die. I don’t want that for you, I want you to live.”

“Luhan,” Sehun said sadly. “Stop this, I’m coming back for you no matter how many times you tell me not to. I can’t leave you alone there.”

Sehun waited for Luhan so say something more but all that met his ears was static. Luhan was gone.

“Sehun,” Yixing said softly from behind. “We can’t go back. It’s too late.”

A rage overcame Sehun. He spun around and faced Yixing head on. “This is all your ing fault Yixing! If you had done the one simple thing I had asked of you Luhan would be with me right now. But you’re a ing coward!”

Yixing stood up, his body tensed and ready for whatever else Sehun was about to throw at him.

Sehun’s mind was a swirling red mist of anger and directed all at Yixing. Sehun needed control of the ship and the only way that was ever going to happen was with Yixing out of the picture, at least until they were back to earth.

Sehun closed the distance between Yixing and himself. He didn’t stop to think about what he was really going to do and just did it. He pulled his elbow back and quickly ed forward right into Yixing’s nose. Yixing stumbled back a few steps. Sehun quickly took advantage and moved in to hit Yixing again. This time the blow landed just to the side of Yixing’s temple.

Yixing’s body slumped to the ground unconscious almost instantly after the blow had met it’s mark.

Sehun took control of the ship after he dragged Yixing out of the cockpit and into the dimly lit hall outside. Sehun locked the doors tight, no one could get in now except him, and he went right to the navigational system.

Sehun punched in the coordinates for Earth, he knew them by heart. The ship took a big, slow, lazy turn before heading back in the direction from which they had just traveled from.

Sehun was going to save Luhan even if it killed him.

 

 

A/N: This chapter isn't my favourite but I still think it's okay.