Rebuilt and Remembered

Mechanical Heart

ERROR: CODE 374

Hongbin's forgotten project's arm broke off from the shoulder, leaving behind tangled wires and broken metal pieces. He immediately took her to another room, grabbed tools from a drawer, and welded the broken pieces together. He looked over at the female cyborg who stared emotionlessly at him just like a robot would.

Don't worry Youngji. I'll fix you up and make you whole. This time, we'll be together for eternity.

Hongbin remembered that he couldn't deal with her death in the past, turned himself into a machine, and tried to leave his broken heart in the ashes of forgetfulness.

Everything was all the same. But I can change that, like  I've changed myself, and instead I can change my future and Youngji's. I will never let our love be forgotten again along with our emotions.

Hongbin set himself a different goal to live on as a cyborg with Youngji; he believed in his memories, and he was no longer broken, but had a new desire inside. With time and effort, Hongbin restored Youngji's broken arm and with energy flowing, the arm attached itself and made Youngji look normal. Then he took took Youngji's hand and made her sit on a different chair, and with a goggle-like device, Hongbin started the memory insertion process.

"I wanted to forget you and my emotions for you, my beloved Youngji," Hongbin murmured as beeping was heard. "But you remained inside my heart even though I changed my body completely. Your memory still existed somewhere, and now I don't regret anything, because I've set a different fate for the both of us."

Hongbin patiently waited as Youngji's memory entered her new body, and when the memory insertion process was complete, Hongbin slowly took the goggle-like device off and stared into Youngji's eyes. She gradually raised her bowed head up and when she finally met his penetrating gaze, she quickly stood up and hugged him tightly as Hongbin's eyes slowly watered. She was completely reborn and she was reunited with him again; Hongbin defied her fate of death, and it actually worked.

Youngji, even though she was a cyborg now, giggled as she patted at the seat next to her. Hongbin sat down and as she layed her head against his shoulder, he affectionately pulled her hair behind her ears and smiled for the first time in a long time.

His happiness was over when multiple footsteps were heard and three men in black and sunglasses intruded Hongbin's lab, and he knew what they were seeking: Youngji.

__

(Youngji's POV)

There was an error: My arm fell off of my shoulder, and this tall man grabbed my remaining hand and pulled me into another room. I didn't know if he was going to hurt me, telling me that I wasn't functioning properly, but instead he made me sit down on a bench and quickly worked on my fallen arm. Who was he anyway? It seemed as if he knew me completely, yet I opened my eyes to see him.

My creator.

He looked at me for just a few seconds before working again. My systems told me he looked at me with affection. Affection only exists in humans, so does that mean he's human? Obviously. I kept staring; I wanted to look around and wander about, but I wasn't functioned to move around in free will. After what seemed like hours, my creator attaches my arm back and he guided me to a different chair, where he put a helmet with giant goggles on my head. As I heard beeping, memories formed inside my mind.

My name is Youngji, and my creator was Hongbin, my boyfriendr. I was once human, but I became sickly and pale, causing me to die right in front of Hongbin. The only thing I remembered before dying as a human was that my hand grew limp and cold as I was holding Hongbin's hand, and it became lifeless as my hand fell from his two squeezing hands. I heard his cries, but I now knew that he was still crying after I passed away.

Hongbin takes off the giant device and my was bowed, trying to process my past life. I slowly looked up at my boyfriend and met his gaze; with my memories returned, I couldn't control myself as I jumped up from my seat and hugged him tightly. I was reborn as a cyborg, but I didn't care. As long as Hongbin and I were together, nothing mattered but him. How long did he live without me?

I sat back on the bench and patted on the spot next to me, indicating for Hongbin to sit beside me, which he did. As I layed my head against his shoulder, Hongbin pulled my hair behind my ears and we grasped each other's hands. I giggled in happiness; were cyborgs supposed to do that? It didn't matter; I grinned widely as Hongbin and I were reunited together, and this time, for eternity.

If only Hongbin were a cyborg, then my wish would be fulfilled, but I guess it was his turn to die this time. After all, I died first...

My thoughts and romantic moments were interrupted as multiple footsteps were heard and three men in black appeared inside the lab. What could they be after? Why were they here?