Lost and Found

Mechanical Heart

"What's...happening?" an incomplete cyborg asked, his arms and legs not even made yet, and never might be. His voice was monotone, and through his metallic eyes he saw not only sparks falling from the ceiling and his surrounding the whole lab, but he detected through the walls a hoard of human males with weapons.

"The. Room. Is. Collapsing," another incomplete cyborg answered, this one had one arm and one leg, but what was distinctive about him was that his head was shaved at the sides and kept short. His voice was monotone, but slightly annoyed. After all, they were cyborgs: half human, half machine. Which meant that cyborgs couldn't feel complete emotions or hardly any at all.

"We. Should. Go. And. Destroy. These. Intruders," a third cyborg suggested. He had hair that fell over his left eye, and he was one of the most handsome cyborgs out of the five that were in the lab. His mind was programmed for combat, but nobody could blame him; their creator gave him that ability, and he was the most strongest in the group.

"Yes..." For once, the middle cyborg who had the most leadership, agreed to the third cyborg's answer of violence. "Let. Us. Destroy. These. Intruders."

With their minds wired to the carts their bodies were being hung on, the middle cyborg made his cart wheel towards the entrance of the lab, and when he opened the door the intruders paid no attention to it whatsoever; they kept going towards the operating room. Maybe that's where their creator went.

The strongest cyborg wheeled himself out of the lab and with a spin of his cart, he stuck out his heavy metal arm and hit a full circle of intruders which were dressed in black. Now the intruders' attention was focused on him, and when they fired bullets out of their guns, none had any effect on the cyborg. His eyes flashed brown for just a fraction of a second before returning to a metallic silver. He commanded mentally for his cart to wheel towards the operating room where most of the intruders had their attention focused on. The cyborg started swinging and as more intruders fell to defeat, the other four cyborgs that merely watched, followed the fightning machine when the path became clearer to cross.

As the strongest cyborg got closer, he saw that three intruders in black were using the of the gun and using it to dent the heavy iron door that blocked the operating room. He could hear construction noises inside and went full swing against the three that immediately fell with a swift but powerful hit. One cyborg alone had defeated multiple intruders, just as his creator programmed him to be.

With only five hits, he has puched down the heavy iron door that blocked the operating room. The leader of the cyborgs went inside first, then the other four wheeled inside, and the leader spotted an object that laid on the operating table with drills that spun and a heap of scrapped metal that sat on the right side of the operating table. As the five cyborgs wheeled closer, the leader realized that the object was the head of a female cyborg, and when he scanned the head he just froze...

Froze like a complete machine; unmoving, unblinking.

The head belonged to a female cyborg his creator made before he made his first male cyborg: Cha Hakyeon. Codename: N.

N didn't know what to do. He remembered that his creator used to be obsessed with this female cyborg, Youngji, but he hoped that his creator would forget about her.

Not only that, when N looked at the operating table again, there laid a mechanical heart that glowed red for just a few seconds before losing power and becoming completely black. The female cyborg;s head was nothing but a heap of metal now, and he would have never guessed that the heap of metal to his right would ever belong to his master: Dr. Lee Hongbin.

N closed his eyes and he smelled oil as he felt something liquid run down his cheeks. When he opened them, there was the youngest cyborg wh didn't even have arms or legs.

Han Sanghyuk. Codename: Hyuk.

"N. Hyung," the cyborg spoke, his voice monotone still. "How. Are. You. Capable. Of. Producing. Tears? Tears. Are. Shed. By. Humans. Not. Cyborgs. Like. Us."

"Maybe..." N thought for a moment before murmuring. "Maybe. My Human. Side. Of. Me. Is. Still. Present."

"I. Didn't. Know. Our. Creator. Was. A. Cyborg. Also," the cyborg with a shaved haircut stated.

"It's. True. Ravi," N answered. "He. Was. More. Interested. In. The. Female. Cyborg. Even. After. He. Created. Me. But. Then. He. Forgot. And. I. Was. Happy..."

"Happy," Hyuk murmured. "A. Human. Emotion. How. Are. You. Capable. Of. This. Hyung?"

"I. Don't. Know," N revealed. "Maybe. It's. Just. Time."

"Should. I. Destroy. The. Heart?" the strongest cyborg, Jung Taekwoon, Codename: Leo, asked as he raiseed his metal arm over the mechanical heart.

"No!" N's monotone voice was combined with a small screech as he immediately moved in front of Leo. "This. Is. The. Only. Thing. Left. Of. Our. Creator. Do. Not. Ever. Destroy. This." N picked up the mechanical heart even though he had no fingers, just a round ball, but he was a cyborg: Programmed to not be clumsy like humans.

"N. Hyung..." Lee Jaehwan, Codename: Ken, murmured. "You. Really. Care. For. Our. Creator. Huh?"

"Yes. I. Do," the leader responded, not looking up from the heart even though it had no power left. "I. Want. Our. Creator. Back. But..."

"But. What?" Kim Wonshik, Codename: Ravi, pushed on even though his voice was monotone.

"My. Systems. Tell. Me. That. This. Heart. Has. A. Human. Emotion," N said, monotone again, but confused. "The. Strongest. Human. Emotion."

That's when the other cyborgs fell silent. They were once human, but they forgot what emotions were, and they were nothing but metal inside.

"Love," Hyuk broke the dead silence. "I. Heard. From. Our. Creator. Himself. That. Love. Can. Drive. Humans. Wild. And. Mad...Sometimes. They. Try. To. Defy. Fate. Itself....That. Is. What. Our. Creator. Said. Before."

"Maybe. That. Is. What. Our. Creator. Did. Even. Though. He. Was. A. Cyborg. Himself," N realized. "Maybe. He. Remembered. That. Female. Cyborg. From. Before. For. A. Reason...Maybe. Our. Creator. Found. Love. And. Defied. Fate."

"He. Wanted. To. Die?" Leo asked. "Defied. Living?"

"I. Think. Love. Made. Him. That. Way," N said. "Love. Is. Present. In. This. Mechanical. Heart. Still...Maybe. He. Wanted. To. Choose. A. Different. Fate."

"I. Do. Not. Understand. N. Hyung," Ken stated. "Do. You. Understand. What. You. Are. Saying?"

"No," N said. "But. I. Am. Speaking. For. Love...Our. Creator's. Love."

"We. Should. Leave. This. Room," N said, and he wheeled himself out of the operating room, still holding his creator's mechanical heart. He didn't know why his human side of him decided to show up, but he was going to keep the heart in a safe place where it would never be destroyed, ever. He smiled to himself just a little before putting the heart in a secret container where only the five cyborgs knew how to open and close it, and no intruder would be able to open the container and take the only momento of their dead creator, who N hoped found peace along with his true love Youngji.

Meanwhile in the operating room, the other four cyborgs stood there, still not comprehending what their leader just said.

"I. Still. Think. We. Should've. Destroyed. The. Heart," Leo said. "Saved. N. Hyung. The. Trouble."

"Leo. Hyung," Hyuk spoke. " You. Are. Feeling. Sympathy...A Human. Emotion."

"N. Hyung's. Human. Side. Has. Rubbed. On. To. Me," Leo said, blaming the leader for being "too human". "N. Hyung. Cared. For. Our. Creator. So. Much....He. Was. The. First. One. Made. By. Him."

"I. Understand. Now," Ravi said.

"Understand. What?" Hyuk asked, sounding a bit like a curious cyborg child. Cyborgs weren't supposed to be curious and just like a machine they are programmed to do specific activities. For Hyuk to act like that now wasn't really surprising; he was the youngest and the last cyborg to be created. He probably retained some humanity.

"Our. Creator. Cared. About. All. Of. Us," Ravi answered. "Now. That. Our. Creator. Is. Gone. Maybe. N. Hyung. Feels. Like. He. Should. Take. His. Place. As. Leader. Of. Us. Cyborgs."

"N. Hyung. Wants. To. Lead. Like. Our. Creator..." Hyuk whispered. Now he really acted like a child, like a child that would be in awe of some fantasy story that sounded really cool. Leo envied Hyuk for his ability to act human unconsciously. "Our. Creator. Was. Sympathetic. And. He. Gave. Us. A. Second. Chance...He. Wanted. Friends. And. He. Treated. Us. Like. Normal. Humans. Even. Though. We. Are. Incomplete..."

Hyuk shed a tear made of oil, the smell enveloping the operating room. The other cyborgs loved the smell since they were practically half machine. Hyuk even smiled at his realization while the other three cyborgs looked at each other in confusion, unable to interpret human emotions and actions.

It was error that couldn't be decoded, translated, or read. Maybe it was an error that didn't need to be fixed, but instead it nedded to continue to exist. Leo realized that maybe being a machine meant that you didn't exactly live; you were created and not born as a living being. 

Unbeknownst to Leo, Ken and Ravi also realized that when their creator died, they became lost. But ever since N stepped up to take his place, they found a new purpose...

A purpose to live...

A purpose to feel...

A purpose to remember...

Their creator attempted to erase those purposes and became incomplete; a cyborg. But someone dear to him, who was also forgotten, was found by accident and aroused his memories. Their creator set a new goal for the both of them, and in the end, they died together as a final act of true love. 

Soon, the five cyborgs left in the lab might be more human than they imagined, and all they had to do was try.

With different perspectives of their creator, the remaining four cyborgs in the operating room wheeled out and went into the lab where N stood vigil for their creator by looking at the mechanical heart that was the only remaining thing left of him. His metallic silver eyes were unblinking as he stared, and the only thing N thought of was how good his creator was to all of the five cyborgs. 

N moved his one arm and touched the secret container with a metal ball for an artificial hand. He noticed that the other four cyborgs wheeled toward him and stared at the secret container as well. 

N realized what he needed to do: He would make sure that him and the other four cyborgs would live for eternity to remember their creator, the emotions all of them learned to feel again, and one day tell a story to somebody of their creator's legacy and honorable death alongside his girlfriend Youngji. N would also make sure to achieve the dream that humans and cyborgs can live peacefully together without any interruption.

Cyborgs used to be human also; that didn't mean that anything nonhuman could act human.

N wheeled over to the center of the lab and waited for the other cyborgs to wheel their carts into a straight line with him in the middle. N closed his metallic silver eyes, becoming a vessel housing the memories and emotions for his creator, Hongbin. He had no doubt that the other cyborgs closed their eyes too and followed his example. Dr. Lee Hongbin will never be forgotten until the end of time.

The five cyborgs would never wake up again, and instead they will be remembering every moment they spent with their creator, who gave them a second chance.

Don't ever forget me...

N could've sworn that he heard Hongbin and Youngji's thought in sync. N smiled to himself, promising them wherever they were that the other cyborgs and him would never forget the two, and with a final breath N became as still as frozen time. He might wake up again, but at least he would have his memories with him along with his emotions.

Now watch me as I remember the two of you with your eyes wide open...Maybe forever even.

That was N's final thought before his mind continously remembered his creator and Youngji while making himself forget how to wake up again, and he would never be aware of the last tear of oil that fell on his cheek or the gentle smile that played across his lips.