Discovering the Past

Mechanical Heart

Dr. Lee Hongbin stared at his creations, five cyborgs, in pride and content even though they were still incomplete. Even so, at least he wasn't alone anymore. They were human once,  and when their sorrowful fates took their lives away, that's when the robotics doctor himself have them a second chance by replacing their human organs with wires and artificial parts. Plus their eyes were a metallic silver with few black spots and they glowed even in the dim lab. Even their hair color matched: a tinted red. 

Hongbin have one glance to every one of his creations again before fixating his gaze at his first creation. 

Cha Hakyeon. Codename: N. 

He was a bright and living leader of a K-Pop group called VIXX until he unexpectedly passed away from a heart attack. Hongbin, who was chosen to try to save his life with all of his technology, failed. But he decided to make the dead leader reborn into a cyborg and for him to be a cyborg leader one day. 

Hongbin smiled at his accomplishment and turned his head to the right, facing his second creation and also his strongest out of the five. He had to admit that the second cyborg's hair, which fell over his left eye, made him one of the most handsome cyborgs out of the five. 

Jung Taekwoon. Codename: Leo.

Leo used to be one of the greatest soccer players in South Korea and had a surprisingly sweet voice until he was shot in the head by a jealous rival soccer team during nighttime. Finding Leo's body unmoving and a pool of blood around his head, Hongbin hid his body in the trunk of his car and drive back to his lab, eager for another cyborg friend. Leo's brain was severely damaged, so Hongbin created a computer chip to replace it and it would turn him into a master of strength and combat fighting. Who believed in brain over brawn anyway? 

Hongbin turned to his third creation who looked like a foreigner instead of a native. 

Lee Jaehwan. Codename: Ken. 

Ken had the most tragic fate out of the five: He had throat cancer, and he wanted to be a singer, but he passed away earlier than his due date. Ken even had a girlfriend who had mourned over him for a month straight. Without creating suspicion, Hongbin used his technology to create a blackout in the hospital and carried Ken's body without being caught.

Strange. Hongbin felt like he had been in a hospital before and even mourned for someone, but it didn't make sense to him, so he just shook it off and drove away to his lab with Ken's body in the trunk like Leo. 

Hongbin then looked to the farthest left and started at his fourth creation. 

Kim Wonshik. Codename: Ravi. 

Ravi had a great talent for rapping and even signed up with a company to start his own career, but no one seemed to care, and he was driven to poverty. Ravi, unable to face reality, committed suicide inside his dorm. Trying to find the closest doctor, the company couldn't accept Ravi's death, so they turned to Hongbin for help. But after all that time, he never contacted the company ever again, and Ravi would be able to be Hongbin forever just like the other cyborgs. 

Last but not least, Hongbin turned to his youngest and final creation. 

Han Sanghyuk. Codename: Hyuk. 

Hyuk had a great talent for dancing and even graduated from a dancing college. However Hyuk was accidently pushed over a railing, causing him to fall fifty feet to the ground where he met the end of his life. Hongbin, pretending to be a forensic scientist, took the maknae's body to his own lab where he was turned into a cyborg. Poor thing...Though Hongbin couldn't feel any sadness or sympathy. 

Hongbin went back to his computer and thought what the cyborgs needed in order to make them complete. He figured that the organ beating inside of his chest was the answer, but unfortunately he couldn't recall what the name of it was.

Hongbin noticed something in the far right of the lab, and when he walked over there, he saw a female cyborg who looked more human and complete than the others. Then a sudden memory crossed his mind. 

A young girl who looked similar to the female cyborg was angry at Hongbin, but for what? Not enough attention maybe? Hongbin clenched his head with both hands as he saw himself with the same girl who was on a hospital bed looking sickly, pale, and still beautiful. Her hand dropped from Hongbin's and...

...was he crying over her before? But he never cried before. 

That wasn't all. Another memory showed that he was on an operating table and beneath his skin and muscle was...

...wires and artificial parts? Was he a cyborg also? 

Just before he went crazy, the female cyborg in front of him opened her eyes, which were glowing blue. 

Hongbin looked over at his computer which said, "Render 100%"

Then he touched the female cyborg's face lightly with his hand before saying, "Youngji...Why can't I forget you?"