Lead me home

Lead me home

- Do you know why the pole-star is so bright even though it’s further away than most of the starts? – Kris broke the dewy silence of the night, gaze locked upwards.


- Sure, because it’s a real star, like the Sun and has its own shine. – Tao said, his tone resembled to one of those old documentary films about science. – See? Even a peasant like me knows this, Mr. Galaxy. – He smirked.


- But do you know what I used to believe the reason was, when I was little?


Tao saw from the corner of his eyes that the other’s face turned into a nostalgic smile.


- I used to think that it was actually the brightness of two stars. But these two stars are so close to each other and moving so synchronized that they are boosting each other’s light. And that’s why they can show us the right direction. Because they achieved something that just a few can, among us: they found the one who doesn’t stand in the way of the light shining from them, but helps them to shine even brighter

.
Tao turned to his side and his sight linked with Kris’s, who seemed have stopped talking to the sky for a while now.


- And what happens if the light of one of the stars goes out? – He asked the older one with concerned eyes.


- I believe that a time will come, when they get so close to each other that gravity just pulls them together so they’ll be inseparable and their light even stronger. Like that, as one big star, they’ll die together one day. But there’s still an eternity until then.


Tao closed his eyes, like a small child, listening to his favorite fairy tale. He felt something caressing his face and a soft touch on his lips. But as soon as he opened his eyes, it was only the blurred image of the bedroom’s wall that was staring back at him. The dewy grass was replaced by the gentile softness of his bed, the night sky faded away and turned into suspended ceiling.


It took some moments for him to realize that it was all just a dream. A memory, to be exact. A memory from a few years ago, when all those feelings were part of the reality, and reality seemed more precious than any dream would.


He turned to his other side and let the tears flow down on his face, leaving only a tingling feeling on their way.  Similar to the one he still felt on his lips.
He clenched his fist, trying to hold onto that memory. He was gripping it so hard, he wished it would just leak out of his hand like sand and vanish forever. Instead, the tiny little grains got stuck in the recesses of his palm so deep, it turned out to be impossible to get rid of them anyhow…