Nine

Because I Was Bad

 

He stopped, turning his head around. He was sure he heard another footsteps behind him. It was already late when Seung Ho finished his shift,  and the street was empty. He missed the last bus, there’s no other choice than taking a walk back home to his apartment, as he kept aware just in case he could find a taxi. The night was suddenly in silent again, he continued walking on the sideway with his hands tucking inside his pocket. When he just walked pass the street light, Seung Ho could hear whoever it was behind him walking faster. He stopped again but turning his body all around this time.

“Who’s that? Hello?” He frowned to the darkness. Assuring himself there’s someone—even more than one or two people he guessed, Seung Ho tried to capture the smallest noise he could hear. He narrowed his eyes and took couple steps forward, bracing himself to catch whatever came attacking him. His fists were ready.

The sound of branch cracked and in a second a kick floating almost knocked the side of his face. Seung Ho managed to dodge away, he moved backward. He got a hard kick from behind, aching his back. He fell on his knees on the ground. From the corner of his eyes, he could see at least 4-5 people came out from the dark. Seung Ho tried to push himself up, but two guys already grabbed his arms, holding them tightly.

“Are you Yang Seung Ho?” the guy with sunglasses asked.

Looking up, Seung Ho tried to stay calm. “Yes, I am.” He chuckled. “I mean, I knew you already know who I am, come on. I’m not stupid. Who’s sent you rats to me?”

The guy laughed. “Just like our boss said, your rubbish mouth could get our nerves easily. But, it doesn’t matter who, we’re here to pass his message: Stay away from Hae Won.”

“....Hae Won?” Seung Ho frowned,but quickly followed by loud laughter. “Ah...I see...Her dad sent you, right?”

The guy in front of him clucked. He landed his fist on Seung Ho’s stomach, making him groaning in pain. “Shut the hell up.”

He put a grin on his face, the punch weighted his voice, making him hard to talk. “So it’s true,” he mumbled. “How much he paid you? Enough to feed your dog?”

“Can we just kill this kid?!” The other guy shouted.

“Easy...” The big guy with glasses who punched Seung Ho uttered. “It’s not worth to finish off this piece of crap anyway. But...this kid has guts. Let’s see how long he could talk back.”

The guy placed more punches to Seung Ho’s ribs. He fell down on his knees, couldn’t lift his head. His jaw felt numb after got attacked by hard knuckles for two or three times. His head started spinning, fresh blood running from the corner of his torn lips. At least one or two teeth broken. The guys behind him finally loosened their grips around Seung Ho’s arms, making him falling to the ground. He curled up and got pushed to the wall, couple more kicks hitting his torso. He coughed, suffocated.

“You got your lesson, kid.” One of them said. “I hope you know what to do next. Stay away from her.”

The painful groan got stuck in his throat, breathing was too hard. He lied down silently, as he heard they walked away. Leaving him in pain alone. Seung Ho was holding on his consciousness which slowly betraying him. His eyes slowly closed, he felt peaceful as he’s no longer in pain. Everything was dark.

*

He startled. His eyes wide opened and the white ceiling greeted him. The light his cornea strongly, he frowned and a light pain pierced the side of his head shortly. The motherly tone greeted him, the kind of tone he hadn’t heard for months.

“Son, you’re awake?”

Seung Ho narrowed his eyes, turning his head aside to find the voice. The middle-aged woman was there, someone he never knew but her face was familiar.  She looked at him worriedly, almost making Seung Ho slipped out the word he barely said for months. Mom.

The middle-aged woman stood up and walked to the door. He peeked out and called out a name. Seung Ho tried to get up from bed but the pain in his head hitting again. He fell back lying on the bed, cringing.

“You’re awake?”

Seung Ho stared at the face. The guy placed himself at the edge of the bed, with the middle-aged woman peered over his shoulder. “You...” Seung Ho mumbled. He cringed again.

“I wanted to take you to the hospital, but my house’s closer. Plus it’s already late when I found you lying there on the ground,” the young man said. “But our family doctor is on his way. He needs to check your head. ”

He startled when Seung Ho grabbed his arm. “Does Hae Won know I’m here?” Seung Ho’s voice lowered down.

“No,” he answered. “I haven’t told her anything.”

Seung Ho exhaled, his shoulders relaxed a little. “Thanks, Joon.”

 

- - -

I know the update is really late and short as well!

It's been a while XDD