Chapter 7

Hope and Chances

You stood in the middle of the room and looked around. You chewed on your bottom lip as your fingers played with each other. Then you stepped over to the toy chest and shifted one of the dinosaurs on the shelf above it over a little.
"Nervous?"
You turned and saw Yongguk standing in the doorway. Turning your attention back to the toys, you swallowed. "No."
"And you're a horrible liar." he chuckled as he crossed the room to you. He wrapped his arms around you and tightly squeezed. "It's okay. I'm nervous too."
You took a deep breath before slowing letting it out. Then you heard the doorbell ring and instantly stiffened. You quickly turned around to look at your husband and saw the big grin on his face.
"Come on." he said and grabbed your hand.
You let him pull you along, out of the bedroom, to the living room, and to the front door. Only then did he let go as he reached for the doorknob. When he opened it, your gaze immediately fell to the little boy clutching his dinosaur.
"Here." Yongguk offered and took the small bag from the social worker with him. Then he indicated for them to come in.
"Well today's the big day." the lady stated with a smile.
"Yeah." your husband chuckled. He looked down at the little boy. "Hey Jaewoo."
Jaewoo nodded his head slightly at the older male as he looked around the room.
Yongguk placed a hand on your lower back and nodded his head towards the hallway. "Why don't you show him his room?"
You glanced at him before looking down at Jaewoo. You swallowed and forced a shaky smile on your face as you bent down to the little boy's level. "Would you like to see your room?"
Jaewoo didn't say anything as he eyed you. You smiled at him though and straightened. "Come on." you encouraged. Then you headed towards the hallway. When you glanced behind you, you noticed Yongguk urging the boy on before Jaewoo started following you.
You came to the bedroom and stepped in. You turned to watch Jaewoo walk in to the room, followed by Yongguk and the social worker. You your lips nervously as you observed Jaewoo, trying to see any indication on whether he liked the room or not. His face remained blank though.
"What do you think?" you hesitantly asked, breaking the silence. You lightly ran your hand on the wall. "I even painted it blue. Your favorite color."
Jaewoo turned to you and furrowed his eyebrows. "My favorite color is red."
The smile disappeared from your face as your mouth dropped open. You glanced at Yongguk before looking at Jaewoo again. "But... But you said..."
"It's okay." Yongguk intervened. He grabbed your hand and gave a small squeeze. "Let's give him a minute to look around."
You nodded absently as you watched Jaewoo walk over to the toy chest. He picked up one of the dinos on the shelf to examine it. Then he tossed it haphazardly back on to the shelf before digging in to the chest.
Letting Yongguk pull you out of the room again, you felt your shoulders drooping as you followed him. Then he caught your attention by bringing your hand up and kissing it.
"It's okay." he reassured you with a small smile. "He's a little boy. I'm sure he still likes it."
"Absolutely." the social worker agreed while nodding. "Watch, tomorrow he'll say his favorite color is black."
"Uh... yeah." you uttered.
The three of you sat on the couch and you watched as Yongguk eagerly conversed with the lady as they went through the paperwork. Your mind couldn't help but wander as you thought of what Jaewoo was doing. You kept glancing at the hallway, wondering if you should go check on him.
You didn't have to though as the boy stepped into the living room. You watched as he surveyed the room once more silently.
"Here honey."
You quickly turned your attention to Yongguk and saw the paper he was holding. You took it from him and saw his signature at the bottom. Grabbing the pen, you added your own and handed back.
"That's everything then." the lady said while taking the paper. "6 months from this day, you can appeal to legally adopt him." She smiled at Jaewoo. "What do you think about your new mommy and daddy?"
Jaewoo scrunched up his face and pouted.
"You can still call me hyung." Yongguk hurriedly stated. "If that makes you more comfortable." He grabbed your hand. "And you can call her noona."
You blinked at him in surprise for a moment before nodding. "Yeah. That's fine." you echoed. You saw Jaewoo looking at you and you forced a smile on your face.

After the social worker left, you watched Yongguk go to Jaewoo. His excitement was evident on his face as he offered to show Jaewoo the rest of the apartment. They wandered off but you stayed rooted in place with a queasy feeling in your stomach.
Shaking your head, you took a slow breath and caught sight of the bag on the floor. You went to it and ped it to find some clothes. You picked it up and carried it to Jaewoo's new room. There were a few toys spread out on the floor and you stepped over them as you went to the dresser. You took the clothes out of the bag and added them to the ones in the drawers. Clothes that you had picked out and you hoped they went over better than the blue paint on the wall.
Just as you finished, you heard footsteps enter the room. You turned to find Yongguk and Jaewoo together still.
"Hey, how about you pick what we have for dinner?" your husband asked the boy.
You smiled and knelt down. "Yeah." you agreed. "What would you like me to cook for you?"
Jaewoo stepped back, away from you and closer to Yongguk. He grabbed Yongguk's pants and pouted up at him. "I want pizza."
Yongguk smiled at him. "That's fine. We can order pizza." He glanced at you, "Right?"
"Yeah." you replied and stood up, the smile fading from your face. "We can do that." you said with a shrug of your shoulders.
Jaewoo let go of Yongguk's pants and grabbed his hand. "Play with me." the boy said with a small tug.
Yongguk chuckled and nodded his head. You watched as they both settled on the floor and grabbed a few of the toy cars. Yongguk momentarily glanced up to smile at you before turning his attention back to the play time.
Swallowing, you made your way to the closet and set the bag on the shelf. When you closed the door, you observed them playing for a little before walking out of the room. You headed to the workroom and sat at your desk. Even with as much work you had to do though, you just sat there and focused on your breathing. Glancing at the doorway, you wondered why you felt so out of place.

That night, Yongguk tucked Jaewoo in to bed and read him a bedtime story. You hanged back in the doorway, more of an observer than a participant.
"The end." your husband finished as he closed the book.
"Thank you." Jaewoo said as he looked up at the older male.
Yongguk smiled down at him. "You're welcome." Then he stood up and shifted the blanket higher over the little boy. "Goodnight."
"Night." Jaewoo replied and snuggled under the covers.
Yongguk set the book back on the shelf and made his way towards you. You stopped him though by pointing at the night light. He turned and saw that it was off before going over to turn it on. Then he walked over to you and stepped out of the room.
"Goodnight Jaewoo." you said while smiling.
The little boy stayed still, eyes closed and arms around his stuffed dinosaur. Not getting a reply from him, your smile slowly faded. Then you stepped back so Yongguk could close the door slightly.
With a soft sigh, you headed to the living room and dropped down on to the couch.
"What's wrong?" Yongguk asked as he sat next to you.
You shrugged your shoulders before shaking your head. "It's nothing."
"Honey." he quietly uttered and grabbed your hand.
You glanced at him and saw the pleading look in his eyes. You swallowed before your lips. "This just... feels so wrong." you quietly confessed.
Instantly you noticed his head jerked back a little and the way his body stiffened.
"I mean," you hurriedly added. "It's just... You're so much closer to him."
He relaxed at that and let out a tiny breath of relief. "It's okay." he assured you. He let go of your hand and scooted closer while bringing his hand up to cup your cheek. "I did get to spend more time with him than you so of course he's comfortable around me. Just give it some time and he'll open up to you too."
You pressed your lips together, only feeling somewhat better. "I hope so."
"I know he will." your husband insisted. "He just has to see how amazing you are first."
You let out a noise halfway between a scoff and a chuckle at that before rolling your eyes.
"Well it's true." he declared with a chuckle. Wrapping his arms around you, he pulled you in to lean against his chest. "Everything will be fine once he settles in."
With how sincerely he said that, you pushed the doubts away from your mind. He was right after all. You didn't get to go visit Jaewoo like he had so this was normal. "You really know how to make me feel better." you commented as you shifted to look up at him.
"That's what husbands are for, right?" he questioned before giving you a peck on your lips.
"Yes." you amusingly agreed. "And you're very good at your job."
He kissed you again, tugging slightly on your bottom. "I'm very good at lots of things." he quietly murmured.
You felt yourself blush hard before a shy smile formed on your face, mirroring the sly smirk on his face as he kissed you again.