Epilogue:1 Year Later

Guess How Much I Love You

Epilogue : 1 Year Later

 

Kris stared at his reflection. He was supposed to be inspecting his outfit, but at the moment he was so stunned that he could hardly function.

“I’m getting married. I’m getting married!

Jamie tugged on his slacks. “Daddy, everyone knows that. Your tie is crooked, worry about that!”

Kris looked down—his ties was in fact crooked, but he couldn’t bring himself to fix it. “I’m getting married!” He said again. “Oh, my…I’m getting married!”

Jamie stomped his foot. “Daddy, why do you keep saying the same thing over and over again?!”

Tao knelt next to Jamie and patted his cheek. “Don’t worry love, daddy is just having a moment. he’s so happy right now, he can’t think of anything else to say.” He glanced at the clock. “Why don’t you be a big boy and go to the bathroom one more time, just to be safe?”

Jamie sighed but nodded, and when he left Tao sat next to Kris and grabbed his hand. “How are you holding up?”

“I’m getting married,” Kris said weakly. “It’s really happening, I’m getting married, Tao, how do I…what…it just hit me…I’m getting married!”

They were not having a traditional wedding. It was small, just close friends and family, and they were not at a church. The wedding and reception would take place together, in the same room. The venue overlooked the water, and the big windows would catch the sunset beautifully. And Kris and Baekhyun would be walking down the aisle together, arm in arm. They were both wearing pale grey pants and vests, paired with white shirts and ties—Baekhyun had insisted that they match, and Kris thought it was cute. But he was now afraid that he was going to sweat through the material before the wedding could even start.

Tao pinched his leg lightly. “Please don’t start crying, Jessica will actually come in here and kill me if you cry and ruin your makeup.”

Kris could already feel the tears starting, but he held them in. “I’m going to cry when I see Baekhyun,” he said. “The second I see him, I’m going to start bawling. This is second only to how happy I was when I first held Jamie.”

“I know,” Tao said, patting Kris’ knee. “You’ve said so twice today alone. And I am so happy for you, but you really need to just not cry for a few minutes.”

Kris looked around. “Where did my son go?”

Tao rolled his eyes. “To the bathroom, we’re on in ten minutes and we don’t need him having to pee during the ceremony.”

Kris stood up. “I’m going to go follow that advice. Jesus Christ, I’m getting married!”

 

“I CAN’T BELIEVE I’M GETTING MARRIED!”

Kyungsoo winced and rubbed his ear. “Holy cow Baekhyun, can you not shout in my ear please?”

Baekhyun fanned his face, desperately blinking back tears. “I don’t know when I’ve ever been this happy before, maybe the first time Jamie called me ‘appa,’ but I don’t know oh my goodness what do I do? I’m going to cry when I see him, is my eyeliner waterproof?”

“It is,” Kyungsoo said patiently, straightening Baekhyun’s tie. “You’ve asked me twice now.”

“Good, because I might start crying right now.”

“Please don’t.”

Baekhyun fanned his face. “I’m going to cry, I’m going to cry.”

There was a knock on the door, and a soft voice asked permission to come in. Baekhyun’s heart leapt, and he ran to open the door himself. His mother was there, with a box in her hands. Baekhyun had reconnected with her a few months ago after learning that she had divorced his stepfather. They were taking things slowly, but it meant so much to Baekhyun that she had agreed to come to his wedding, had even been excited at the prospect.

She opened the box and held it out. “Something for you to wear.” A pair of gold cufflinks glinted in the box. “They’re not all that fancy I know, but they were your dad’s. I just found them a few days ago, along with his watch. I gave that to your brother, I thought these would be better for you, if you want them.”

She was babbling, nervous and unsure. Baekhyun took the box and hugged her gently. “They’re beautiful, I love them. Thank you for bringing them, omma.”

His mom patted his back, and when she pulled away she started dabbing at her eyes.

“Saw the little one on my way over,” she said faintly, sniffling. “He looks absolutely darling.”

Jamie had been torn on what to wear, a dress or a suit, so Kris had found a way to compromise. He got Jamie a beautiful flower girl dress, and then found a white suit jacket to go with it, so Jamie could have something of both. The dress was decorated with purple crystals, and the jacket had purple buttons. The could scarcely get Jamie to wait until the wedding to put it on.

“He does, doesn’t he?” Baekhyun said. “I wonder if he’s going to cry, too.”

Kyungsoo looked at his watch. “We’ll find out really soon, won’t we?”

 

The ceremony passed in a whirlwind. It was short and sweet, and later Kris and Baekhyun would say that they didn’t remember much of it, though a few things would stand out. Like seeing each other in the hallway and linking arms just as the doors opened for them, and Jamie skipping ahead of them, scattering rose petals as he went. Kris didn’t end up crying, but Baekhyun did—only a little, though. All too soon Tao was handing over the rings, and Jamie squealed delightedly as Baekhyun and Kris sealed their marriage with a kiss. And, a surprise for Jamie—Kris picking him up in his arms so both of his fathers could kiss his cheeks. Now that was a picture they would treasure forever.

They would remember more of the reception, like all the friends that hugged and congratulated them and who told Jamie that his outfit was just beautiful. Jamie barely left his fathers’ sides the whole night. He ate dinner on Baekhyun’s lap and dessert with Kris, he danced with both of them and continuously insisted that they kiss “One more time, one more time!” Even Lu Han and Minseok’s boys couldn’t tempt him away for more than a few minutes at a time. And they would both remember the dances that they shared with each other, but also with their mothers and Jamie.

They posed for so many pictures that they lost track of who was behind the camera. They ate and danced and had an amazing time with everyone, and it felt like it was over far too soon. By the time they had finished saying goodbye to the guests and thanking the staff, Jamie was sound asleep and Baekhyun and Kris were not far behind.

“We’re getting old,” Baekhyun said as he and Kris climbed into their taxi. Jamie was snuggled in Kris’ arms, and Baekhyun held a box of cards and gifts from their friends on his lap. They would go through that tomorrow.

“Nonsense,” Kris said. “I’ve never felt younger.”

“But even you admit you can’t party like you used to.”

Kris shrugged. “Oh, who needs to party until the wee hours of the morning? I’d much rather go home and cuddle up with my husband and our little boy.”

The smile on Baekhyun’s face was blinding. “That does sound like a much better idea than a party.”

When they started planning the wedding, they knew right away that they would not be going right to the honeymoon, there was no way they could do that to Jamie. So they were going to wait two weeks before leaving, so Jamie could have some time with his newly married fathers. Not much would change since Baekhyun had lived with them for nearly a year, but they knew that for Jamie it would feel totally new. And maybe it would end up feeling that way for them too.

When they arrived at home Baekhyun got out of the taxi first, and Jamie woke up just in time to see Baekhyun getting out of the car.

“Appa!” He wailed, starting to cry. “Appa, come back!”

Kris quickly slid across the car seat so Jamie could see that Baekhyun was still there, and Baekhyun knelt down and kissed Jamie’s cheeks.

“Appa’s right here, baby,” he said gently. “I’m not going anywhere.”

Kris handed Jamie off to Baekhyun with a quiet laugh. “Poor thing, I shouldn’t have found that as adorable as I did. I’ll take the gift box?”

Baekhyun adjusted Jamie in his arms so his head was a little more supported, he was already asleep once more. “If you don’t mind.”

Kris kissed Baekhyun briefly. “I don’t mind at all.”

Once upstairs they got Jamie dressed into his pajamas and gave up on getting him to stay awake long enough to brush his teeth—one night wouldn’t hurt him too badly—and tucked him into their bed. Then they both showered (together, but they kept their hands off each other because they knew if they went there, then they would never get out) and changed into matching pajamas that Tao and his boyfriend had given them.

“Just married,” Baekhyun said happily, reading out the words printed all over his shirt. “Wow, that feels good to say.”

“It’s finally happened,” Kris sighed, linking his fingers with Baekhyun’s. “I wish I could tell you just how happy I am, but I really can’t find the words.”

Baekhyun went up on his toes to give Kris a slow, lingering kiss. They both wished it could have lasted longer, but there would be time for that later.

“You know,” Baekhyun said, pausing as he opened the door to the bedroom, “You really don’t have to tell me. I can see it in your eyes, how happy you are.”

Kris blushed and swatted at Baekhyun’s shoulder. “Well how am I supposed to go to sleep now with that floating around in my head?”

Baekhyun kissed him again. “You’ll find a way.”

 

They woke up slowly the next morning. Baekhyun was the first, and he sipped out of bed to make coffee and juice. By the time he went back to the bedroom, Kris had woken up. He accepted the coffee gladly, and they drank in silence while they waited for Jamie to wake up. When he did, the first thing he did was grab his fathers’ hands and poke their wedding rings as if to assure himself that they were, in fact, real. Only then did he say good morning and drink his juice.

“Are you going to work today?” Jamie asked Kris.

“No baby, I’m staying here with you and appa.”

Jamie laid back down and pulled the blankets up to his chin. “Then can we sleep a little more? I’m still tired.”

“Me too,” Baekhyun said. He leaned over Jamie kissed his cheeks. “Let’s sleep, and then when we wake up maybe we can bake some cookies.”

Jamie’s whole face lit up like a little sun. “And then we can eat them, right? Cookies for breakfast?”

“As long as you promise to brush your teeth really well,” Baekhyun said, holding out his pinkie finger. “Promise?”

Jamie linked both his pinkies with Baekhyun’s. “Double promise!”

“Then we will have cookies for breakfast,” Kris said as he also laid back down.

They didn’t end up going back to sleep, because Jamie started a tickle war five minutes later and he and Baekhyun both ganged up on Kris, and by the time Kris wrestled his way free they all knew sleep was out of the question, so Jamie lead the way to the kitchen shouting that it was time for cookies.

“Indoor voice,” Kris and Baekhyun both called after him.

They distinctly heard Jamie sigh and say, “That’s the only bad part about having two parents, they both do the scolding.”

Before they went into the kitchen, Kris stopped Baekhyun with a hand on his shoulder, and kissed him.

“I love you,” He said.

Baekhyun smiled. “I love you, too.”

Jamie ran around the corner and yelled, “WAIT LET ME GET THE CAMERA SO I CAN TAKE PICTURES! NO KISSING UNTIL I GET BACK!”

(They cheated a little on that.)

 

 

 

So that's that. I will miss this story, but the time has come for me to move on to other things. I hope you all enjoyed, thanks so much to all of you who commented, even though I'm a and didn't respond to all of you I want you to know that I appreciate you taking the time to leave me your cute little messages ^^ 

Thanks for reading/subscribing/commenting, see you next time!