J.

Windflower

 

Colourful lights shined brightly from the buildings lined up along on the street. The large number of clubs and hotels attracted many young adults here at night.

“Where are you going?” a young man asked his friend who stood up abruptly and struggled to slip out of his seat, stepping over the others who were still drinking.

“I’ll call you guys tomorrow,” he slurred, waving at the several girls him and his friends picked up. The girls pouted in disappointment at his leave but turned back to his remaining friends.

He didn’t want to leave either but he just remembered that he had a date with Victoria tomorrow. Or was it Gyuri? Well either way he knows he can’t be sleeping in tomorrow with another girl. It usually wasn’t that hard for him to walk in a straight line but of course things are different when you’re drunk.

Standing dangerously on the side of the street, he stuck an arm out waving for a taxi while reaching his other hand in his pocket for his wallet. When it wasn’t there, he checked the other pocket. When it wasn’t there either, he began patting around his entire body, hoping to hit something which felt like the leather wallet he got from one of his many girlfriends for his birthday.

“Did I drop it at the club?” he asked himself, waving his finger around as if it would magically guide him to the club. It seems as though every time he gets drunk, his mind will go blank and forget everything; sometimes including where he lives.

As he wandered down the street trying to remember where the club was, his wavering legs led him into bumping shoulders into a couple. Nodding his head as an apology, he was about to slip away if the man didn’t shove him by the shoulders, his entire body toppling to the floor.

“Yah, watch where the hell you’re going!” the man yelled at him before walking away with his girlfriend.

His vision still spinning, he pushed himself off the ground but didn’t even stand up straight before he felt his legs turn into jelly again. Luckily though, someone caught his arm and he didn’t fall to the hard ground again. He looked up from his hunched over position and saw a girl with long wavy black hair holding him up. Or at least he thinks it’s a girl. She had a cap on which hid most of her face, only showing her high nose and thin glossy lips. Slipping one of his arms over her shoulders, she wrapped an arm around his waist to help him stand up straight.

She clicked her tongue in annoyance, glancing around the bystanders for help, unsure of what to do with this drunk stranger she didn’t even know. Why did I even bother helping him? She thought to herself. Probably because she just couldn’t stand watching drunks on the streets pester other people because they didn’t know when to stop drinking. She turned back to him, ignoring how he was staring at her with that stupid clueless expression of his, “Where do you live?”

He was positive she was a girl from her voice. And was she mad? She sounds kind of cute when she’s mad. Maybe he could get her number or something to pay her back properly when he sobers up. On top of those thoughts, he couldn’t help but notice her sweet scent. What perfume was she using? It was either the alcohol or the perfume luring him into her. He didn’t know which one it was.

She snapped her fingers to try and snap him out of his little day dream. “Yah, I’m talking to you.”

“Uh… that way. No wait, I think it’s that way,” he said, scratching his head.

“Where’s your wallet?” she asked him, hoping to find some sort of identification with his address.

“I lost it,” he shrugged, too drunk to care.

She let out a groan of frustration. She was exhausted and really wanted to get home and just sleep. She really didn’t want to spend the entire night trying to help this guy find his house. And the fact that he’s quite heavy for her to carry around like this made things more difficult.

“Come here,” she told him, guiding him to the side of the street so she could catch them a taxi. Opening the passenger door with her free hand, she shoved him inside roughly, his upper body falling over to lay down on the seat. She nudged him over a bit more before climbing in herself, “Renaissance Hotel please.”

“A hotel huh?” Byunghee slurred, pushing himself up and leaning over to her as he winked.

She gave him a look of disgust, shielding her nose from the strong scent of alcohol escaping from him. “Shut up and go back to sleep,” she said, pushing him lightly by the shoulder. Just that light push was enough to send him falling back against the seat again. That was the last thing he remembered before falling into a pit of darkness.

When he woke up again, he found himself in a large room he didn’t recognize. He easily figured out that he was indeed at a hotel. Usually when he gets drunk and wakes up at a hotel, he wouldn’t be alone. He was expecting to find someone laying beside him in bed, but he didn’t. Just like how he thought he would be under the covers but he was disappointed to find that he was fully clothed. His shoes were taken off for him and placed neatly on the floor by the bed. Whoever brought him back must’ve either been gay or blind to resist someone like him.

He pulled off the blankets and slid off the bed, regretting it right after when he felt his stomach lurch, his hand clasping over his mouth as he flew into the washroom. He threw up until his stomach had nothing else left and was literally just contracting nothing. Wiping his mouth with the back of his hand, he stood up lazily and flipped the toilet seat cover down before flushing the contents. He rinsed his hand under the sink for several seconds, then splashing the ice cold water on his face to wash the sleep from his face. He looked disgusting. Not only that, but he probably smelled disgusting too. He wanted nothing but a shower right now. Stripping off his clothes, he the shower and stepped into it immediately, not bothering to wait for the water to warm up.

His head was throbbing painfully but he tried his best to ignore it as he washed up. Stepping out of the shower, he grabbed the white towel folded nicely on the top of the sink and wrapped it around his bottom half. He grabbed another towel and just threw it on top of his wet hair to soak up some of the water. Walking out of the washroom, he sat on the bed and the television. He didn’t know what time he had to check out of the hotel but it was 3 in the afternoon right now. It was too late now to go to the date with whoever.

That’s when he remembered he was missing his cell phone. He went to the washroom and picked up his clothes which were laying on the floor. He searched his jean pockets and pulled out his phone and keys. At least he didn’t lose these. Sadly, the phone was dead and he wouldn’t be able to call the girl to apologize. He could borrow the phone in the hotel but how could he if he didn’t even remember her number. He had too many numbers from girls for him to remember. Why bother remembering them if they were only flings anyways.

Pulling his pants back on, he finished brushing his teeth and took a good look at his reflection. If he had any super powers, it would be super hair growing powers. He had to shave himself when he got home if he was going to go out today. Or not, if he’s going to just stay home all day which he probably would. But first he needed to get his wallet back so he could check out of the hotel. Leaving the washroom, he noticed there was a note sitting on the table on the other side of the bed along with a cup of water and two pills. The card key to the room was sitting there too next to several coins. He didn’t know why he didn’t see this earlier.

These will probably help with the hangover. And here’s some change to bus home.

-J

Those were the only few words printed neatly on the piece of paper, leaving him very puzzled as he popped the pills in his mouth and downed it with the glass of water. Who was J? He remembered bumping into a girl but he couldn’t put together exactly what she looked like. It was all a blur. She left nothing here but this note. No phone number or anything for him to try and contact her after to thank her. But she probably wouldn’t want him contacting her after last night’s encounter. He remembered how annoyed by him she sounded when she was talking to him yesterday.

Folding the note neatly, he stuffed it in his back pocket where his keys were. Grabbing his cellphone and the change on the table, he put back on his shoes and left the suite. When he arrived in the lobby, he didn’t know if he should approach the counter or not and let them know that he lost his wallet and couldn’t pay. What kind of idiot was he to even consider doing that? Obviously, just leaving as if nothing happened would be a better idea. He was a jerk but he just couldn’t do this without feeling guilty.

He dragged himself over to the counter, leaning forward casually to speak with the woman working. She looked at him a bit startled by how close he was, “Sir, can I help you?”

“Well you see, I lost my wallet and I don’t even remember how I got here last night. Do you think it would be possible for me to come back with my wallet later to pay?” he asked, flashing her with his pearly white teeth.

She wasn’t shaken by it though and frowned, “Sir, we cannot let you do that. What suite were you in?”

He sighed, pulling out the card key and handing it to the woman. He watched as she scanned the card, her eyes scanning the computer. His fingers rapped on the counter, trying to think of how he was going to get himself out of this. Call Seungho and ask him to spot him? Seungho never picks up though. Cheolyong? That kid didn’t even have a car yet.

“Sir?” He quickly turned back to the woman, trying to maintain his smile. “Your room’s already been paid for last night.”

“What?” Byunghee asked, not believing what he heard. Did he really have such good luck that someone would pay for his room?

“It’s been paid for last night around 4 a.m. The room’s actually been paid for two nights, sir. You don’t have to check out until tomorrow morning.”

“I’m just wondering but how much would it have costed?” he asked curiously.

“$845.23.” Byunghee stared at her with wide eyes as he digested this. Not only was this hotel extremely expensive, but someone had paid for him and he was more than positive that it was the girl he bumped into yesterday. Sure he’s had strangers take him to a hotel when he’s drunk but he’s never had them pay for it too.

“A-alright then, thank you very much,” he stuttered as he turned to leave. He took one step before turning back to the counter, “I was just wondering but do you know who paid?”

“Sorry sir, the miss asked specifically not to tell you anything,” she replied sternly. It didn’t look like anything was going to make her tell him anything. He nodded understandingly and left. Why was it so important that he didn’t know who she was? Was she really that scared she’ll see him again?

Even though he knew she didn’t like him much, she was nice enough to give him some money to bus home and pay for his room. On top of that, she left him some pain and relief pills for him to take assuming that he would have a hangover after that. She probably wouldn’t like it if he bothered her again but he really wanted to thank her.

You’ve got to be kidding me, Byunghee. You don’t even know what the girl looks like, he thought, smiling to himself stupidly. You’ll probably never see her again.