2/2

Condemning but still... It's love

‘What, you?! AGAIN?!’ Sungyeol’s eyes widened in shock when he opened the door for his new roommate.

 

‘Right, I have to tolerate you in class, during lunch and now even after school? Is this meant to be some sort of joke or something? Oh god, please tell me this is an illusion.’ Sungyeol rolled onto his bed and hugged his precious pink baby pillow that had been following him since he was in kindergarten.

 

‘It’s not like I want to be here anyway. And excuse you, I am the one tolerating you, not you tolerating me. I totally have no idea how it turned up this way. Woohyun didn’t tell me that you’re his roommate.’ Myungsoo replied, scrunching in nose while he dragged his black luggage into the dorm.

 

‘Well, you could’ve asked before you agree to move. I thought you’re one of the top students in the level?’ Sungyeol snickered.

 

‘Obviously I didn’t get the chance. Sunggyu hyung just shoved all my things into my luggage and asked me to move.’ Myungsoo rolled his eyes. ‘I can’t oppose Sunggyu hyung, if that is what you can’t understand. Both of our parents are working overseas and—wait, why am I even explaining things to you?’ Myungsoo decided to stop talking.

 

‘Whatever. Not like I am interested in your boring family.’ Sungyeol said.

 

And they really remained silent. The only sound in the dorm was Myungsoo unpacking his things and the sound of the air conditioner working.

 

 

----------------------

 

 

‘How’s your new roommate Yeol?’ Kibum smirked and placed his hand on Sungyeol’s shoulder.

 

‘Get away from me, .’ Sungyeol grumbled and shook off Kibum hand.

 

‘Aw, don’t be mad. Myungsoo isn’t a bad guy, and his personality is the complete opposite of you. Opposite attracts, so you guys can be the best of all best friends in the world.’ Kibum exclaimed.

 

‘Friends, my . If we’re even friends, we won’t be talking like enemies and I swear he is the most annoying person I have ever met.’ Sungyeol hissed, slamming his locker door close.

 

‘Well, we’ll see.’ Kibum smirked. ‘Don’t forget, Myungsoo is really popular in school, he is popular with both guys and girls so I think it will be wise if you act friendly with him in front of others or else his fan club will come down hard on you.’ He added before walking away.

 

Sungyeol punched the locker door once, gritting his teeth. So the whole world was on Myungsoo’s side, huh?

 

Sungyeol thought about what Kibum had said. As everyone knew in school, Sungyeol didn’t give a about any other people except for his close friends, who were Woohyun, Sungjong and Hoya. He was friendly, sure, if you didn’t rub him up the wrong way. Sungyeol was literally as harmless as a puppy, but puppy bites. If he got angry, he would be scary.

 

Comparing himself against Myungsoo in terms of popularity, Myungsoo won.

 

Comparing height, Sungyeol won.

 

Comparing academic result, Myungsoo won. Myungsoo topped the level, while Sungyeol was the third in level.

 

Comparing sports, the both of them draw, since Myungsoo was the chairman for the Taekwondo club and Sungyeol was the captain for Woollim High basketball team.

 

Hm. Either way, Sungyeol was disadvantaged when he compared himself with Myungsoo. So the best solution to not offend that fan club of Myungsoo’s – Stay away from Kim Myungsoo. Don’t’ talk to him, don’t touch him, and don’t have interaction in any form with him at all.

 

‘I must be a genius.’ Sungyeol thought to himself.

 

‘Hey, you’re Luna right?’ Sungyeol approached one of the girls in class.

 

‘Yeah. What’s wrong?’ The girl looked a little confused.

 

‘Well, do you like Myungsoo?’ Sungyeol asked with a wide smile.

 

‘Of course! Everyone practically loves him.’ Luna said with worshipping eyes.

 

‘Great! I mean, I am not very familiar with him and, well, you’ve seen our situation in the Math class, so do you mind switching your seat with me since you like him?’ Sungyeol asked.

 

‘SURE! I mean, I don’t mind, of course. I’ll be glad to do so.’ Luna coughed a little and packed her stuff in just ten seconds and moved to Sungyeol’s original seat. Sungyeol was a little amazed by how fast she could pack her things, but that was not really his business, he simple shrugged and sat down.

 

Luna’s table partner was Hoya.

 

‘Sup. What are you doing in Luna’s seat?’ Hoya entered the class and greeted Sungyeol, settling himself down in the seat beside Sungyeol’s.

 

‘I switched my seat with Luna. I can’t stand Myungsoo. I have to face him in class, during lunch and even in the dorm. Can’t you understand my agony?’ Sungyeol groaned. ‘I need space. Space without an annoying Kim Myungsoo invading.’

 

‘Oh, okay. Do what you like. But I though Woohyun is your dorm mate? Come on, I need a little update about you. I haven’t been hanging out with you since the dance competition preparation but it is going to be finished so I can join you guys for lunch again.’ Hoya poked Sungyeol’s shoulder and urged him to say more.

 

‘Okay, it goes like this. I got chased by gangsters the other day because I…’ Sungyeol started his long story of how he had met Myungsoo with his hands motioning here and there at the same time while Hoya watched and listened to him with his elbow on the table, supporting his left cheek.

 

‘… And lastly, just yesterday, he moved into the dorm.’ Sungyeol sighed, placing his head on the table.

 

‘It’s okay buddy. At least you’re sitting with me right now. Is your thigh okay? I mean, it sounds like he had pinched you really hard.’ Hoya said.

 

‘Yeah! I’ve gotten a huge bruise! Man, look!’ Sungyeol rolled up his pant and showed Hoya.

 

‘Okay, okay, I get it. You don’t have to show me.’ Hoya laughed. ‘How’s the basketball team without me?’

 

‘Training has stopped, he coach is away for three weeks so we do self-training now. When’s the dance competition by the way?’

 

Unfortunately, just as Hoya was about to reply, the teacher entered and the both of them could only keep quiet and stood up to greet the teacher.

 

‘Right, class, we’re going to have a class excursion next week.’ The teacher announced.

 

‘Myungsoo oppa! Aren’t you excited?’ Luna had been talking to Myungsoo non-stop since he stepped into the class.

 

‘Boring.’ Myungsoo said coldly and he stared at his textbook.

 

He really couldn’t stand sitting beside a girl. It wasn’t like he hated girls or whatsoever, but it was their continuous chattering that he couldn’t stand. Oh, and Lee Sungyeol as well. But Sungyeol was a little better than any other girls in school since he knew how to shut up when Myungsoo meant it.

 

‘Tch. Lee Sungyeol, you’d better watch out.’ Myungsoo said under his breath as he tried to tolerate Luna for the rest of the day.

 

 

‘Did you and Sungyeol fight?’ Sunggyu asked Myungsoo during lunch.

 

‘If you don’t count our bickering, then no.’ Myungsoo furrowed his brow. ‘Why?’

 

‘Well, he refused to join us for lunch today.’ Sunggyu replied, looking into Myungsoo’s eyes to make sure he wasn’t lying.

 

‘Where is he, then?’ Myungsoo asked, packing up his lunch.

 

‘I bet he is in the garden. He likes the garden very much.’ Sungjong replied while unwrapping his sandwich.

 

‘What’s going on? Where’s Myungsoo and Sungyeol?’ Woohyun sat down an immediately asked for the two’s presence.

 

‘Let them settle their own issue themselves. Tuck in. We only have 20 minutes left for our lunch break.’ Sunggyu said nonchalantly.

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------

 

 

‘Lee Sungyeol.’ Myungsoo sat down beside Sungyeol. ‘What’s wrong with you today?’

 

Sungyeol ignored him and continue eating his bento.

 

‘Yah, if it is about me, be a man and say it out loud. Don’t make hyung and others worry for you.’ Myungsoo demanded.

 

Sungyeol continued ignoring him and continue stuffing rice into his mouth.

 

‘Are you deaf or something?’ Myungsoo took away Sungyeol’s bento. But Sungyeol still wouldn’t face him.

 

That’s it. Myungsoo’s patience had ran out and took Sungyeol’s chin.

 

‘Look at me when I’m talking to you. What’s wrong with you, huh?’ Myungsoo glared at Sungyeol.

 

‘Go away.’ Sungyeol said quietly. ‘I don’t want to have anything to do with you. You can continue to be your Mr popular while I will continue live my own life.’

 

‘What? So it is my popularity that gets to you, huh? You think I like to stick with you all the time? Sunggyu hyung asked me to try to be friends with you, since he is dating Woohyun, and I agree because he is my only family member who really cares for me since young!’ Myungsoo stood up and yelled.

 

‘So?’ Sungyeol just looked at him.

 

‘So I- I- Aish! I don’t know!’ Myungsoo threw down his lunch box and Sungyeol’s bento onto the bench and ran away.

 

 

---------------------------------------------

 

 

‘Hyung, I really can’t stand it. I am getting out of here.’ Myungsoo said to Sunggyu after dashing into his class.

 

‘Can’t stand what?’ Sunggyu narrowed his eyes at Myungsoo.

 

‘I can’t stand talking to Sungyeol anymore. He don’t even want to tell me what’s wrong so what can I do? I’m telling you that I have tried my best to make friends with him for your sake and I can’t do it. I really can’t. I tired of trying. I am not being myself.’ Myungsoo panted after saying everything in one breath.

 

‘Myungsoo, I ask you to make friends with Sungyeol is for your own sake. Not for me. You can’t possibly run away every single time. You have a good personality. If it is about that Lee Joon problem again I can-‘

 

‘I can’t. I can’t. I can’t, hyung. I can’t do it.’ Myungsoo squatted down and buried his face into his arms.

 

‘Myungsoo, listen to me-‘

 

‘I can’t. Stop forcing me, hyung. I don’t want to do it.’ Myungsoo lifted his face a little and Sunggyu saw tears flowing out from his younger brother’s eyes.

 

‘Okay. Okay. Myungsoo. I won’t force you. Come on, let’s get you somewhere.’ Sunggyu hugged Myungsoo and placed his blazer over Myungsoo’s head so that no one would see his face. After explaining to the teacher, Sunggyu brought Myungsoo back into the dorm and Myungsoo fell asleep immediately after lying onto the bed.

 

Sunggyu sighed. Looked like he had done something that harm Myungsoo instead of helping Myungsoo.

 

‘Oh, Sunggyu hyung, what are you doing here?’ Sungyeol unlocked the dorm door and was surprised to find Sunggyu sitting on Myungsoo’s bed.

 

‘Sungyeol, we need to talk.’ Sunggyu stood up and said with a strict face.

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

Myungsoo groaned and opened his eyes slightly, annoyed by the sunlight that shone onto his face. He rolled over and planned to continue to sleep. Before he could do so, he felt someone staring at him so he turned towards to the source and allowed his eyes to focus.

 

‘Why are you staring at me.’ Myungsoo said coldly when he realized that it was just Sungyeol.

 

‘Huh? Oh. Oh. Um. Breakfast is on the table.’ Sungyeol snapped out of his dazed mode and adverting his sight quickly.

 

‘I don’t want it. Throw it away. I’m not hungry.’ Myungsoo mumbled and rolled over.

 

‘Um, Sung-Sunggyu hyung bought it. I didn’t buy it, I mean, yeah. I’m going out now.’ Sungyeol grabbed his wallet and ran off.

 

After making sure that Sungyeol had gone out, Myungsoo slowly get up from bed and went to the bathroom to wash up. He walked to the table and saw a plate with some burnt sausages and egg. Myungsoo snorted. Sunggyu hyung would definitely buy a proper breakfast for him and even if Sunggyu hyung were to cook, he wouldn’t burn any food. This was obviously the work of the clumsy roommate called Lee Sungyeol. Myungsoo sat down by the table, unsure whether to eat or not to eat the breakfast.

 

He did. In the end. Plus a diarrhea tablet so to make sure he wouldn’t get stomach ache from the food he had just taken. He sighed and changed his clothes, preparing to go for a walk. He desperately needed one after yesterday’s breakdown.

 

‘Myungsoo! Myungsoo ah!’ Someone called him from some distance and he stopped in his track, turning to face a panting Woohyun.

 

‘What. I thought you’re with Sunggyu hyung?’ Myungsoo said, not even bothering to greet Woohyun.

 

‘Hey, don’t be so cold towards me. It’s just that I want to talk to you a little, about Sungyeol.’ Woohyun smiled.

 

That was how they ended up sitting on a bench.

 

‘I know that it is rather unfair to ask you to try to be friends with Sungyeol again, but I just want to say that he didn’t mean it when he ignored you the other day.’ Woohyun said.

 

‘If that’s all you’ve got to say, I’m going.’ Myungsoo said without any emotion in his voice.

 

‘Wait! Okay, fine. I know it will be rather unreasonable for me to ask you to try to understand the mindset of Sungyeol, but I still have to tell you, whether you understand or not.’ Woohyun took a sip from his drink. ‘Sungyeol’s mind works like this. If he has experienced something bad, he will try to avoid anything that could get him into that similar situation again, him being straight forward with words is just his personality since young.’

 

Myungsoo furrowed his brow, but he listened to what Woohyun had to say. Seeing that Myungsoo was listening, Woohyun continued.

 

‘Sungyeol had a very popular friend when he was in middle school, that person was called Minho. I knew Sungyeol since kindergarten, and I knew this Minho as well, I had a bad feeling about him and tried warning Sungyeol. Sungyeol didn’t listen. Well, Sungyeol being Sungyeol, he was friendly to everyone and stubborn as well. Minho has a girlfriend and this girlfriend of his somehow liked Sungyeol and tried to flirt with him. Sungyeol was a really dense kid back then, I’m not saying he’s not now, but a lot more dense.’ Woohyun paused. ‘Minho mistaken Sungyeol snatching his girlfriend as well so he made everyone in the school turned against him. You could guess the rest. That is why Sungyeol really didn’t want to come near to you.’

 

‘Are you done? I’m going.’ Myungsoo stood up.

 

‘Just one last thing, if you were to befriend Sungyeol, don’t ever hurt him. I doubt that he truly open up to anyone if he is hurt again.’ Woohyun called after Myungsoo.

 

Myungsoo took his time while he walked to the nearest shopping mall. Somehow, Myungsoo and Sungyeol did have something in common, that was they were afraid to make friends with unfamiliar people due to their past experience, where they were hurt by their friends.

 

Myungsoo found a seat in a café and sat there, sipping a cup of latte, thinking about whether Sungyeol could really be his friend. A true friend of his, Kim Myungsoo’s, not Sunggyu’s friend. Betrayal was the worst gift a friend could ever give and as he stirred his latte, he thought about whether Sungyeol would do that to him if they were to become friends.

 

‘Friends, huh?’ Myungsoo let out a bitter chuckle.

 

His phone vibrated in his pocket vigorously and he took it out, answering the call.

 

‘Myungsoo? Where are you?’ It was Sunggyu hyung.

 

‘A café. Why?’

 

‘I think you should talk to Sungyeol.’

 

‘I don’t know what to talk to him about.’ Myungsoo mumbled.

 

‘Myungsoo, just give it a try. You have heard from Woohyun about Sungyeol’s past when he was in middle school right? I knew about that, and that is why I am asking you to make friends with him. Look, I’m not trying to force Sungyeol into your life but I’m sure you know that you don’t have much friends to talk to, right?’

 

‘…I don’t need them.’

 

‘No, you need friends, Myungsoo. You need at least one that can lift off some burden off your shoulder, someone who understand you. Not me, I am your brother and clearly I can’t help you with your emotional burden. You remember what you have promise me I agreed to transfer to this school with you, yes?’

 

‘Mm.’

 

‘Then do it. I don’t want to see you breaking down because of this matter again. It seems to be nothing, but it is a big deal. So deal with it.’ Sunggyu said with his strict tone.

 

‘Hm.’ Myungsoo hummed and he hung up. He ruffled his hair in annoyance and got up from his seat, making his way back to the dorm.

 

 

 

‘Hey, you’re back?’ Sungyeol said a little too cheerfully. ‘Er, I mean, yeah. Hi.’

 

‘If you have something to say, just spit it out.’ Myungsoo sat on his bed, taking out his phone to pretend that he was checking something, but the fact was, he was just sliding his finger across the screen to flip through the home page of his phone.

 

‘Well, yeah, um. I’m sorry for ignoring you the other day. Look, I thought you’re just like all the other popular kids, okay? I didn’t know you have experienced something similar to mine. I mean, your situation is worst than mine and I know I don’t have a right to talk about this since I myself is not a very good example myself-‘

 

‘Just get to your point. You’re wasting my time.’

 

‘I just want to tell you that you’re different and I change my mind about not wanting to be friends with you.’ Sungyeol said pitifully and looked at his feet.

 

‘Sunggyu hyung told you about me, didn’t he?’ Myungsoo asked after a period of silence.

 

‘Yeah.’ Sungyeol replied honestly.

 

‘… Fine. I’ll try.’ Myungsoo said. ‘No guarantee that I will really accept you as a friend, but like I said, I will try.’

 

‘Really?’ Sungyeol looked at him with cautious eyes and Myungsoo gave him a curt nod.

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Six months later

 

 

‘Somehow I regretted making the both of them friends.’ Sunggyu shook his head as he watched Sungyeol and Myungsoo fighting over some small matter.

 

‘Well, I’d like to say that they look like a loving couple.’ Hoya laughed.

 

‘They’ll be a noisy pair if they’re on bed.’ Sungjong smirked.

 

‘Since when you’re so polluted with such dirty thought, Jong?’ Woohyun asked.

 

‘Who has dirty thought?’ Sungyeol had just finished another round of bickering with Myungsoo and the both of them sat down by the table to have their lunch.

 

‘Nothing. It’s just that we all have come to a mutual agreement that the both of you will win the first place for the ‘Best bickering couple’ award.’ Hoya said.

 

‘Wh-what couple are you talking about?!’ Sungyeol stood up abruptly, attracting the attention from other tables.

 

‘Chill. Hoya is just joking. Or is there something going on between the both of you?’ Woohyun laughed and Sungyeol sat down.

 

‘O-Of course not.’ Sungyeol puffed up his cheeks.

 

‘Myungsoo? Don’t you have some explanation to do?’ Sunggyu smiled at Myungsoo.

 

‘Nope. There’s nothing between the both of us. End of story.’ Myungsoo replied, eating quietly.

 

‘Ohhhhh?’ Woohyun wriggled his brows at Sungyeol.

 

‘Didn’t you hear Myungsoo? There’s really nothing! Geez. What’s with you guys nowadays?’ Sungyeol stuffed his mouth with food once again.

 

Sungjong just looked at him with a weird look.

 

Sungyeol tried to act calm, but he was actually really nervous. After that talk, he could see that Myungsoo was trying his best to befriend him so Sungyeol decided just to open up to Myungsoo. The both of them gained each other’s trust in just a month’s time and they had gone back to the situation where they bickered every day over almost everything. It was just a month ago that Sungyeol felt weird when interacting with Myungsoo.

 

He dared not ask others about it, fearing that they would make fun of him so he just kept it inside his mind. He felt his heart pounding when Myungsoo got too close to him and he started to observe Myungsoo and remember every small thing that he would do.

 

Sungyeol felt like he was going crazy. He just kept thinking about this matter until he couldn’t even concentrate on his work.

 

‘Sungyeol, are you okay?’ Myungsoo asked suddenly. ‘You don’t seem to be listening when I am explaining this question to you.’

 

‘Y-Yeah. I’m fine. You can continue.’ Sungyeol stuttered when his eyes met Myungsoo’s.

 

‘No. I am not going to continue until you tell me what’s wrong. There’s definitely something that is bugging you. We’re friends so I am here to help you with your problem.’ Myungsoo insisted.

 

‘O-Okay. Hm. I just want to ask you something.’ Sungyeol gulped.

 

‘Go on.’ Myungsoo looked at him.

 

‘If you feel your heart pounding hard when you see a person and you kept thinking about a particular person, what is it?’ Sungyeol asked.

 

‘Hm? Sounds like you have adrenaline rush.’ Myungsoo furrowed his brows.

 

‘Really? Is a way to stop this?’

 

‘Yeah. Stop seeing that person.’ Myungsoo said firmly.

 

‘That’s not really possible.’ Sungyeol frowned. ‘Any other ways?’

 

‘I’ll have to think about it. Give me some time, okay? Don’t ask anyone about this kind of stuff.’ Myungsoo replied and Sungyeol nodded.

 

 

 

Of course Myungsoo knew that that wasn’t adrenaline rush. It was something called ‘falling in love’. Who would that be? Sungyeol liked someone? Myungsoo felt somehow uncomfortable just think about it. He had to find out who that person was.

 

For the next few days, Myungsoo kept staring at Sungyeol until the point where Sungyeol had finally reached the point where he was crept out.

 

‘Myungsoo, can you stop staring at me? I mean, I know I am handsome and cute but you don’t have to stare at me like this. It is creeping me out.’ Sungyeol pointed out.

 

Yeah. I will stop staring at you once I find out who you like. Myungsoo thought.

 

It is not possible that he know that that person is him, is it? Sungyeol thought to himself, his heart beating faster.

 

‘Hyung, I am troubled.’ Myungsoo decided to approach Sunggyu.

 

‘Why? What happened?’ Sunggyu turned towards Myungsoo.

 

‘Why do I feel weird when I heard someone likes another person?’ Myungsoo furrowed his brow. ‘My chest feels really heavy and uncomfortable.’

 

After hearing what Myungsoo had said, Sunggyu burst out laughing.

 

‘Hyung!’ Myungsoo scowled. ‘Stop laughing! I’m being serious here!’

 

‘I’m sorry. It’s likely that you like that person as well. Aigoo! I didn’t know that I will live until the day that I see my baby brother falling in love. Haha!’ Sunggyu wiped away the tears that flow out when he laughed too hard. ‘May I ask who is the lucky person to be loved by the most handsome young man in the entire world?’

 

‘I-I’m not telling you!’ Myungsoo yelled as he ran away, leaving Sunggyu smiling at Myungsoo’s back.

 

'Myungsoo ah, time for you to know how love feels like.' Sunggyu could only offer a slient prayer for his younger brother whose emotional quotient had a pretty bad score.

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

A/N:Hey guys! It's has been a long time since I last updated any of my FF and I do have to appologise to all my readers and subbies for the long wait. t is really unresponsible for me to leave it off here since last year Oct and my last login on AFF was 6th of Jan. I am so damn sorry but I got held up by my school work, not just academically but also non-academic school work. School has been a , but I managed to sneak off a little time to come back here to update. I will try my best okay? And before you guys beat me up, the story aren't finish so.... Well, practically I wanted to leave it off here but I figure thatif I really do that, you guys will hunt me down and tie me to my laptop to complete this. So hang on there if you're still hanging onto this story! I will update again! (Soon, hopefully before my school work gets hectic again)

 

Thank you for all your comments, subs and upvotes! <3

 

Do tell me what you think about the story so far, yes? (Or if you want to scold me, go ahead haha.)