Chapter # 1

Your Sanctuary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It has been 7 years since the last time Howon stepped in this town, and now he is finally back. He clearly remembers the day he left. He was 19 years old back then, he was probably the only one from his age who was able to move to another city to continue his studies.

 

Most of the people of his town, Gilbay, were poor people. They had enough to feed themselves and to survive life without wearing all the luxuries.

 

Now at the age 26 he is finally coming back to his family and his favorite neighborhood. He brought with him enough of books and stationary for his town kids to learn. He made sure to keep the address of his friend who would supplies him with more in case he needed.

 

The sound of hands clapping and whistles brought Howon back to reality as he sat straight and noticed that he was merely meters away from his family and his neighborhood.

 

He couldn’t help himself but to smile and jump of the wagon before it even stops and ran to his mother embracing her tightly.

“My baby is back”, Sojin couldn’t hold herself from squishing her son in a tight hug after being separated for 7 years.

 

Howon, who chuckled at his mother action, wrapped his arms around her tighter and kissed her cheek, “I’m back mom, I’m back and I’m staying for real this time. I’m done, so I don’t have anything to go back to.”

 

The mother smiled grew and cupped her son’s cheeks and asked, “since you are staying here, what are your plans?” she tilted her head slightly before continuing, “you are not planning on just laying down and stuffing yourself with food?”

 

Howon shook his head lightly, “no, I’m not that lazy mom” he grinned at her, “I’m planning on opening a school”

 

Sojin clapped her hands and smiled widely, “really?”

 

He nodded and said, “yes, and I’m planning on making it a free one. There is a lot of kids who aren’t educated in our town, and it’s not fair.”

 

Her hand landed on his hair and caressed it softly, “my son turned into a real man.”  

 

He chuckled before grabbing his mother’s hand and kissing its back, “well, all the thanks to the best mother in the world”

 

A cough turned both their heads to the entrance of the house.

 

“Well son, I love you and I know you love your mother, but don’t flirt with my woman.” Byunghun, Howon’s father was leaning his body on the doorframe with a cigarette stuck between his index and middle finger. He ushered with his fingers, signaling for them to come over, “lets go inside, the food will get cold. You can finish your conversation inside”

 

The two of them followed the man inside the house and sat on the rounded table with the lunch served on the table.

 

“So Howonie, tell me, what about the school you want to open here?” Sojin asked as she placed some of the salad on her husband and son’s plates.

 

“I’m thinking of using our empty cabin and make it a classroom. It should be enough. I brought supplies and what is needed, I just hope some would actually show up” he scrunched his nose and sighed before stuffing some cucumber pieces in his mouth.

 

“Why wont they?” his father asked, “I thought you are doing it for free”.

 

“I am doing it for free, but still, majority of people here wouldn’t be able to survive if it wasn’t for their children working” he sighed, but quickly smiled when his mother’s hand found his and held it tightly.

 

“I have something to tell you my baby”

 

Howon always loved the smile of his mother. It was genuine and simply beautiful. She was his everything, and so his father. It was easy for him to communicate with her, she wasn’t that old, for she married early and gave birth to him within the first year of her marriage with is father. He tilted his head softly and returned his mother’s smile with a smile.

 

“What is it mom?”

 

“Well,” her tongue quickly ran over her lower lip as she glanced at his father, who nodded at her. She looked back at Howon and continued, “me and your father think it is time for you to get married.”

 

Howon blinked. He closed his eyes for a brief moment before opening them again.

 

“Mom, I don’t think it is the right ti-“

 

“Yes it is. You are already 26. You are the only one who is not married yet between the boys of the town. Some are even younger than you by a year or two and they are already married.” She urged as she tightened her hold on her son’s hand.

 

A faint sigh slipped past his barely parted lips before he said, “but I still don’t know anyone here!”

 

“And that is why I chose who you will marry!”

 

Howon knew how much his mother wanted him to get married already. She even talked to him about it before he travelled to the city to continue his studies but he always said it will just be a distraction and he will get married once he comes back. But Howon knew no one here that he thought of marrying. Let alone that he never actually thought of marriage.

 

“Fine!”

 

He groaned as he was squished in a tight hug from his mother and heard the squeals of hers.

 

“But” he looked up from the hug and narrowed his eyes at his mother, “I should see whom I’m marrying first”

 

She shook her head and grinned, “that is a no. The groom shouldn’t see his bride until it is time for her to walk down the aisle. At that day, you will see her!”

She clapped her hands as she went back to eating her lunch ignoring the frown that was on her son’s face.

 

“Seriously, mom!”

 

“Yes seriously. And Just so you know, the wedding is to be in a week” She winked at him before sending a fly kiss to her husband who gave her a thumb up.

 

“What?!” Howon dropped his fork on the table and widened his eyes at his mother.

 

“Never mind, it shall be in couple of day!” She threw her hands up before looking back at her son, “I take that back, it will be after tomorrow.”

 

Howon stared at his mother and couldn’t utter any other word. He knew this is all what his mother wanted from him. To settle down, to have someone beside him and take care of him when she isn’t around. But to him, it was too fast. What was he supposed to say? He doesn’t know. As much as he wanted to decline everything, he didn’t have the heart to wipe off the pure smile his mother had on her face as she talked about the wedding preparation, let alone that he would ever go against her.

 

 

“Oh, and since you want to open the school at the cottage, use the uppe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter