One

Dear Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

25th December 2011

Christmas bells were ringing. The festive decorations on the streets hung beautifully from tree to tree, lamps to lamps. Colorful lights flicker brightly under the night sky as couples and loved ones walked hand-in-hand together beneath them. Just like the other years, it was another comforting and blissful Christmas night.

"A cup of Chai latte to-go, please."

"Oh, Belle! The usual, I see?", the barista of the cafe beamed as she turned her head to the owner of the sweet voice. 

"Nothing beats having a hot cup of your chai latte on a cold Christmas night, Min. ", Belle said with a grin. 

Min poured the last bit of latte into a paper cup and placed it on the counter. She made another serving and packed the second cup into a paper bag, together with the first cup.

"And because of your sweet words, you get two cups of Min's awesome chai latte. Both on me.", Min said with a smile and handed the bag of lattes over to Belle. Belle took the bag and smiled. 

"Why is it that on Christmas day every year, you'll insist on buying me coffee?", Belle asked with an amused look. 

"I pity you for not findng yourself a hot companion on this romantic night, and instead, have to seek warmth in my lattes. That's why of course.", Min joked, as she gave Belle a wink. Belle chuckled.

"Why then, I accept your sympathy for me. Thank you so very much.", Belle thanked Min and gave her a little princess bow, before turning to leave.

"Have a Merry Christmas, Belle!"

"Merry Christmas to you too, Min." 

--------------------

Walking under the Christmas lights and sipping on her favorite chai latte has always been a very comforting way to celebrate Christmas for Belle. It's not that she doesn't have any friends to celebrate the occasion with, Belle just didn't really fancy parties with people she's not familiar with. Her closer friends usually spend the night out with their boyfriends, and her mother lives in Busan with her step-father. 

Belle stopped at the platform of a huge shopping mall and took a seat on one of the benches. She took a cup of latte out from the bag and gripped it tightly with her both hands. The warmth of the cup of latte made her sigh in pleasure. Just then, she heard buzzing in her bag and took her cellphone out. 

"Merry Christmas, my little sweetheart. I hope you're doing well and enjoying this day over in Seoul.", Belle's mum beamed through a video message that she had just sent her.

Belle smiled at the blissful look on her mum's face and looked over to the man on her mum's side. 

"I hope you're doing well in Seoul, Belle. Do let us know if you need any help. Please stay warm in this weather.", her step-dad said with an earnest look. He had always doted on Belle like she was his own. And Belle respected and loved him as much as well. 

"We love you!", they both said together, and then the video ends. Belle touched her phone screen endearingly and sighed.

"I love you both, too."

--------------------

"Ho ho ho, Merry Christmas!", a guy in a Santa Claus mask and suit cheered as little kids flock towards him. He was giving out presents to them and the kids looked as happy as ever. Belle looked over and smiled at that scene. After awhile, her attention went towards the Santa Claus. It was Christmas, shouldn't he be spending it with his loved ones? But instead, he's here spreading and giving little joys to others. Belle looked at the extra cup of chai latte on her side. It was still rather warm. Without thinking much, Belle stood up from the bench, and walked towards the Santa Claus.

The Santa gave out the last gift to a little girl and the girl scrambled off happily. 

"Hi.", Belle meeked, trying her best not to look awkward. The Santa turned his head towards Belle without any word. Unable to see his expression beneath the mask, Belle handed the cup of latte over to him swiftly. 

"This is for you. Thanks for bringing joy to the little kids. I hope you'll have a Merry Christmas.", Belle finished off with a smile and turned to walk away.

The Santa stared at the cup in his hands for awhile, before calling out to the girl who had just gifted him a simple yet thoughtful gift.

"Hey!", he muffled through his mask.

Belle stopped her steps and turned around and saw the Santa jogging towards her.

He stopped in front of her and removed his mask, revealing the face of a young man about the same age as Belle. His face was slightly reddened. Belle guessed it was either from the cold weather or from the mask.

He stuck his hand out and gave a soft smile.

"Thanks for the drink. I'm Mark.", he flashed Belle a smile that sent tingles down her stomach.

"I'm Belle. Don't mention it.", Belle replied as she took his hands in hers. 

Just right then, Belle felt something that she had never once ever felt in the 19 years of her existence. 

He had just changed her life right there and then. 

--------------------

 

25th December 2012

"I say we get candies!", Belle beamed as she dragged Mark towards the candies section. Mark chuckled at the sight of a very enthusiastic Belle.

"But my darling, I got the kids candies last year.", Mark said as he patted her head and placed the candies back on the shelf. Belle gave a slight pout but her expression immediately changes as she thought of something else. 

"How about stationeries? Like cute pencils and little notebooks?", Belle turned to Mark with her eyes twinkling.

"Sounds good to me.", Mark pinched her cheek lightly and she cheered.

Mark pulled Belle into a hug and her back lovingly.

"For the past few years, I've been doing this alone. You don't know how glad I am that today is different. Because I have you with me."

"For the past few years, I've been spending Christmas on my own. I am really glad to spend this year's differently with my dearest You."

They snuggled in the embrace of each other for awhile, ignoring the glances from strangers. 

They were both more th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter