FINAL

Buried Beneath the Ground

Tears streaming, rain pouring, and cars honking. In the middle of the night, a girl named Irene was running. Running away from her now ex-boyfriend.

-Flashback-

Ding!

It was finally time. Irene could finally see him again. It had been so long. 2 months to be exact. 2 months without seeing his beautiful face and hearing his angelic voice.

Irene stepped into the elevator, ready to surprise her boyfriend. She pressed the Pent House button and waited. While waiting, his face popped up in her head. How much she missed and craved for his touch. His comfortable arms that engulfed her every time she saw him. She felt like she was on cloud nine whenever she was with him.

Ding!

The elevator door opened. She walked out of the elevator and into the hallway. She kept walking until she found the door. She pushed it open and said, “Kai! I’m—”

Both Kai and another girl were kissing. Kai pushed the girl off of him and looked at Irene in shock.

“I-Irene. It’s not what it looks like. I swear.”

Irene looked at Kai, pain engulfing every inch of her body, full of sadness and hate. She turned around and started running. And she ran out of the door, out of the building, away from him, away from the pain.

-Present-

Irene kept sobbing, bawling her eyes out. She couldn’t think. She didn’t know what was to come of her. After being betrayed by her own family, she ran off to live with Kai. But now, she had nowhere to go. She can’t go back begging her family to accept her.

“Irene! Please, wait. This was all a mistake!” Kai shouted, running after her

Irene started walking across the road when...

HONK!

-2 months later-

“Kai! Where are we going today?”

“I’m not telling you. It’s a surprise. Go get dressed.”

After the car accident, Irene had a case of amnesia. When Kai had heard of this, he came rushing to the hospital. When the doctor told him that she had amnesia, he couldn’t help but feel relieved. He could pretend that nothing had happened between them and still be in a relationship with Irene. It is unbelievable that Kai had come to think of this, but there was no other way for him to explain everything to her.

Kai was downstairs, waiting for Irene. While waiting, he was thinking of how to break the news to Irene. But he finally concluded that he wouldn’t tell her because he simply didn’t want to lose her.

“I’m ready!” Irene shouted from upstairs.

“Alright. Come downstairs! I want to see my beautiful girlfriend.” Kai said.

Irene came downstairs and Kai took her hand.

“Let’s go, I’m so excited!” Irene exclaimed.

They got into the car. Kai started up the engine and they were on the way to the surprise.

Meanwhile, Irene was staring out of the window daydreaming, until a sudden pain in her head hit her. Her vision blurred and she saw her running away. But running away from what? Her vision blurred again, and felt Kai shaking her shoulders, looking at her with concern.

“Irene! Irene! Are you okay?”

“Hm? Yea. I’m good. I just had some pain in my head.” Irene was debating if she should tell Kai what she saw. She decided not to.

“Are you sure? Do you want to go home instead?” Kai asked, still looking at Irene, concerned if she was ok and was worried if she gotten some of her memory back.

“No, I’m fine. Let’s keep going.”

Kai pulled up in the parking lot of his workplace. They both got out of the car and started heading towards the building where it all happened.

“WOW! So this is where you work?” Irene exclaimed, obviously in awe.

“Yea babe. Come, I’ll show you where my room is.”

They walked in front of the elevator.

DING!

While waiting in the elevator, there was another sudden pain in her head. This time, she saw herself waiting in the elevator, holding a box. For who?

Irene stumbled. Kai caught her.

“Irene, are you seriously okay? You’re spacing out for some reason.”

“I’m fine. I just tripped over my heels.”

DING!

The elevator door opened. They walked out, Kai leading her towards the door. The door that led to misfortune.

“Here we are. Go ahead. Open it.” Kai gestured Irene to open the door.

She pushed it open and walked inside, observing the grey painted walls. She walked to the desk and touched it.

And there it was again. Another pain in her head. This time it hit her hard. She saw her walking up to the door. The door that she just opened. And she saw Kai, her boyfriend, kissing another girl. Kai pushed the girl off of him and looked at her with shock.

“I-Irene. It’s not what it looks like. I swear.”

She ran for her life. She was crying her heart out, thinking of what was to come of her. She started walking across the road and...

HONK!

“Irene? Are you okay? Why do you keep spacing out?” Kai looked at her, scared.

Irene looked at him, finally remembering her past. She looked at Kai, anger flooding through her.

“You traitor.” She hissed.

Kai’s eyes widened. He started backing away.

“W-What? I d-don’t know w-what you’re talking about.” He gulped, scared to look at Irene in the eye.

“Are you sure that you don’t know? Because it doesn’t look like you don’t know.” Irene said; her eyes boring through Kai’s soul.

“Irene. I-I can explain. It’s a-all a mistake. I s-swear. I’m not l-lying.” Kai stuttered, obviously scared.

“I’m not listening to anything, you hear me? I’ve been through too much. Everyone lying to me and betraying me. And now you? I feel so stupid that I followed you around all this time, when you actually done stuff I didn’t know until now. Do you not know how it feels like? To not have true family and friends?” She said, her lips quivering.

Kai looked at her, guilt running through his veins, not being able to make eye contact with Irene.

“Why didn’t you tell me all this time huh? Was it because you would lose me? You would’ve lost me either way.” Her words were like arrows shot at Kai’s heart.

But it was true. Every single word she said was true.

But she can’t leave me. I won’t let her leave me.” Kai thought.

“But I never said that I would leave you alone.” Kai said, his voice becoming icy cold.

Irene’s eyes widened. It was now her backing up against the wall, scared and her brain not functioning.

“Do you think I would leave you just like that? I don’t think so.” Kai looked at her, drilling a hole through her eyes.

Irene was frantically looking for a way out, and saw his door. Kai saw Irene not looking at him and followed her gaze.

“You aren’t leaving me this time.” Kai hissed.

Irene got up and dodged Kai’s arms that were to catch her. She quickly ran out of the door, out of the building, away from the monster.

“You come back here!” Kai shouted, while running, trying to catching to Irene.

Irene looked back and saw Kai catching up to her. She started running even faster, her life depended on it. She didn’t care that her legs felt like jelly, she kept running.

And just like that, she was on a cliff.

“Looks like you have nowhere to go, but to come back to me.” Kai smirked, sending chills down Irene’s spine.

“I will never, ever come back to you! You hear me?” Irene shouted back, though she was scared on the inside.

Kai took out something from his back.

CHA-CHUCK

Irene’s face paled.

“You wouldn’t do such a thing, would you?” She said, her lips quivering.

“I won’t if you don’t leave me.”

Irene couldn’t think. She knew this would be her last moment. And so she started running again, even closer to the cliff until‑

BOOM!

It pierced through her heart. Just like that. And she crumpled onto the floor.

Taking in her last breath she said, “I will never forgive you Kai.”