Final

I Breathe You

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun ran to the bathroom, coughing like crazy before kneeling at the toilet bowl and retching. The pitter patt of Sehun immediately followed him. The biopsy was tomorrow, and in two more hours, it would be today.

 

 

Baekhyun started crying, leaning his head into his arms which were resting in the toilet bowl. Relief and thankfulness overwhelmed him when Sehun sat down next to him and pulled him into his arms instead.

 

“Sehun,” he cried hoarsely. His voice had sort of come back with the help of the throat spray and medicine, but still sounded like it was being dragged over rocks. “Sehun, why me? I don’t even smoke, why me? Why does it have to be my lungs?”

 

Sehun held him tighter, rubbing his back as Baekhyun hyperventilated.

 

“Maybe it’s not, hyung. The doctors aren’t sure.”

 

“But what if it is, Sehun? What if I can’t sing anymore,” Baekhyun sobbed. “What if I have… cancer?”

 

“Calm down baby, you can’t say that,” Sehun whispered, rocking them back and forth. “Don’t say that. We don’t know anything.”

 

“It’s not fair,” Baekhyun whimpered. “It’s not fair, I purposely don’t smoke to protect my voice, it’s not fair, it’s not fair!”

 

Baekhyun kept sobbing, his head buried in Sehun’s shoulder.

 

“What if I die?” hiccupped Baekhyun. “I’m too young to die, I don’t want to die. Why is this happening to me?”

 

“Shush Baekhyunnie. Don’t say that,” scolded Sehun again as Baekhyun gripped the back of his shirt. “You’re not going to die.”

 

“Sehun,” he gurgled into his neck. “Sehun, if it’s cancer I give you full permission to leave me. Please. You don’t need to be tied to a sick person.”

 

Baekhyun felt Sehun’s arms tighten.

 

“Hyung, don’t ever say that again!” growled Sehun. “I would never leave you! How could you say that to me? You would break up with me? But you’re my… I… I need you so much.. and I can’t be without you.. I can’t imagine..you said you didn’t want me to leave! How could you say this, you’re ing unbelievable, do you know how much it hurts for you to tell me that you think I’m capable of walking away from you?  And how much it hurts for you to tell me that you’re capable of letting me go? Baekhyun…No! NO!”

 

Baekhyun felt Sehun’s chest heaving underneath him as Sehun started crying.

 

“I’m sorry,” said Baekhyun, Sehun’s hair and swallowing his own tears. Guilt now overpowered him. “I won’t say that again, I promise. I’m sorry Sehunnie, don’t cry sweetheart. Please stop crying. I’m so sorry.”

 

“You’re my world Baekhyun!” Sehun sobbed. “You’re my entire world, how could you think that? You’re the most important person in my life, you think being sick changes any of that? You’re a dickhead, how could you tell me to go away?”

 

Sehun started wailing, and Baekhyun wished he could just erase what he had said earlier. “I’m sorry Hunnie,” he whispered. “You’re the most important person in my life too.”

 

“Please don’t leave me,” begged Sehun. “If you break up with me I cannot, I canno-“ Sehun was hiccupping too hard to finish his sentence.

 

 

 

When they got back to bed, Sehun held Baekhyun so tight that Baekhyun thought about making a joke about how he didn’t need to breathe anyway because his lungs were screwed up. But Baekhyun concluded it might be in bad taste since Sehun was still sniffling. It was funny how the tables turned- now it was Baekhyun comforting Sehun.

 

“Sehun, I promise to be with you for good and for the bad. For richer or for poorer and in sickness and in health. Til death do us part.”

 

“Don’t joke about that,” said Sehun.

 

“What? You think that my dream of turning you into Byun Sehun is just a joke?”

 

“You’re pathetic,” said Sehun tearfully. “It would be Oh Baekhyun.”

 

“Excuse you, but I’m the one who would propose so you have to take my last name.”

 

“Why is it you? I want to propose too!”

 

“Because I’m older?”


“But you’re the girl in the relationship. If we had to pretend to be straight to get married, you would be the one in the wedding dress. Oh Baekhyun sounds nicer than Byun Sehun anyway.”

 

“Shut up, we take turns at being the girl. You shut your mouth, Byun Sehun.”

 

“You would make a pretty girl, Oh Baekhyun.”

 

 

---

 

For some reason (maybe because of the sedative that was coursing through the IV drip into his arm) this was not as scary as he had imagined. The doctors and nurses were all so calm and confident that he felt like this was a very normal procedure. There was no escaping now.

 

He hadn’t eaten anything in the morning, like the doctor had told him to. He felt like he was going to faint in fear the entire drive to the hospital, Sehun’s hand tightly holding his clammy one at the back of the taxi.

 

Sehun’s hand was still firmly clutching his as Baekhyun sat on the exam table with his shirt off. Sehun was doing the waffle iron face where he made his lips into a long line beside him, sort of like a derpier version of a duck face. Baekhyun had decided to not look at what the doctors were doing to him, and instead focus on Sehun.

 

“You look very good today,” he told Sehun. Sehun looked good every day, but today he was banging for some reason. No makeup, black t shirt and tired puffy eyes from no sleep and hours of crying last night made him look very bad . Hot damn.

 

Sehun offered a tiny smile. Baekhyun felt the scratch of the marker drawing an X on the left side of his chest.

 

“Can you lean forward and rest your arms on this table?” asked the nurse.

 

Oh my god it was happening.

 

The doctor was scrubbing something wet around the site of where he marked it, saying that he was just cleaning it. Sehun moved his chair to where Baekhyun’s head was now, pouting in sympathy and Baekhyun’s hair. Baekhyun was dying for Sehun to kiss him, but they didn’t do that comfortably in public.

 

“It’ll be okay hyung,” said Sehun. “Hyung fighting.”

 

“I’m just going to inject some anaesthetic in the area, this might sting a little bit,” said the doctor.

 

Baekhyun felt a rubber gloved hand stretch his skin before wow that ing injection HURT. Baekhyun squeezed his eyes shut at the pain, daring not to breathe. Sehun used his thumb to the hand he was holding, as if trying to soothe him.

 

Oh god, if this was just the injection, he couldn’t imagine how the long needle biopsy would feel. Maybe he would faint after all.

 

“I’m going to make a cut in the skin, you should look away if you’re queasy. It would be great if you could try not to move or cough until it’s over, Baekhyun-ssi.”

 

Baekhyun decided it was a great time to look out the window and stare at the other skyscrapers.

 

He could feel it tugging at his skin uncomfortably, like his body knew it should be painful but it didn’t really feel that painful. But he tried not to cringe and shut his eyes again when he felt a needle going in.

 

“I’m going to ask you to hold your breath while I get the biopsy okay? On the count of three. One two three…”

 

“You’re doing great Baekhyun-ssi,” said the nurse. “We’re nearly finished, it’ll be over before you know it.”

 

He felt sharp, stabbing pain on his lung and for a second he wanted to panic and scream. He looked at Sehun, who had his iron face on again, his eyes glued to whatever the doctor was doing. Sehun looked like he had lost all emotions and was paler than he usually was, responding to Baekhyun’s death grip on his hand.

 

“Great Baekhyun-ssi, you can take a breath again,” said the doctor as he applied strong pressure to the wound with gauze. "It’s over now. We’re just going to staunch the bleeding.”

 

Baekhyun’s head swam as the doctor and the nurse fussed over his side. It had hurt.

 

“I don’t feel good,” muttered Sehun, wiping his brow. “I don’t feel good at all.”

 

“Are you okay, dear?” asked the nurse as Sehun covered his mouth.

 

“I think I’m going to be sick,” said Sehun. He looked a bit green to Baekhyun, now that he observed Sehun.

 

“Put your head near your knees dear, I think you’re just a little bit shocked, that’s all,” said the nurse.

 

 

Another nurse had come in and given Sehun a cup of orange juice as he watched them bandage up Baekhyun. But Baekhyun made the mistake at looking at the bowl that the nurse was carrying away, and saw the gauze pieces soaked in blood.

 

“Oh no,” he said, fanning himself weakly. “I don’t feel good now.”

 

His vision was wavering and he didn’t know he was swaying until all these hands started steadying him. The reaction for him was much more worse than for Sehun.

 

“Nurse, get me the thermometer now.”

 

“Doctor, he’s also lost blood and hasn’t eaten, I’m paging Nurse Eun Mi to bring in supplies.”

 

“Hyung, are you okay? Oh my god hyung!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun didn’t have the strength to protest as Sehun lifted him into a princess hold from the taxi. He let his head loll on Sehun’s shoulder as they walked through the lobby, and Sehun adjusted him for a second to press the elevator button.

 

His side was starting to ache, and he closed his eyes as they got in the elevator.

 

“Are you sleeping?” Sehun whispered against Baekhyun’s hair.

 

Baekhyun heard himself do that moan he did when he was going to sleep and startled awake. Normally Sehun would laugh and make fun of him for it.

 

“Sorry. I’ll be quiet,” Sehun whispered. “Go to sleep.”

 

He partially woke up when he was gently being laid on the bed, but was too tired to open his eyes before he returned to his dreams.

 

 

 

 

“I made juk, this is good for two or threee meals so you should eat some if you want. Here, some ready-made samgyetang. I bought some aspirin too.”

 

“No aspirin hyung. The doctor said that might make the bleeding worse. He can only have Tylenol.”

 

The voices of Kyungsoo and Sehun drifted into the bedroom as Baekhyun rubbed his eyes. It was sunny.

 

“How is he?” asked Kyungsoo.

 

“I’m so embarrassed hyung, I was so useless. I shouldn’t have watched the whole thing, I should’ve looked away. I can’t believe they just casually cut into my boyfriend like a piece of meat. I nearly fainted and then he nearly fainted too. The doctor said it was probably because of shock and stress. They stitched him since they were scared he would bleed again.”

 

He heard Kyungsoo hiss. “Sounds painful.”

 

“I know. Baekhyun was really good about it, but it tired him out. He’ll be happy to know you popped by, although his voice is still a bit ruined right now.  My poor manbaby.”

 

“Call me if you need any help Sehun,”

 

“Of course. Hyung, look at the coffee machine we just bought…”

 

Baekhyun closed his eyes.

 

 

 

Baekhyun took some Tylenol, but now he really wanted to take a shower- he still smelt like hospital.

 

But it was harder than he expected when they realised that raising his arms really hurt and was next to impossible, and he needed Sehun to help gently untangle him from his shirt.

 

Now he sat glumly in the middle of the tub filled with warm water, Sehun soaping up his arm for him.

 

“I feel like an invalid,” Baekhyun mumbled. “Or an old man.”

 

“Funny,” said Sehun, cupping Baekhyun’s cheek. “You’re such a cute old man.”

 

Baekhyun smirked slightly, going back to his frown as Sehun started to wash his back and neck for him.

 

“I can’t believe you’re doing this for me,” Baekhyun said flatly. “I’m sorry, Sehun.”

 

“Why are you saying sorry?” asked Sehun, squirting more body wash onto the loofah and moving to Baekhyun’s legs. “You didn’t do anything wrong. There’s nothing to apologise for. I’m just looking after you.”

 

The picture of Sehun washing Baekhyun’s feet so nicely and giving him an impromptu foot massage made Baekhyun tear up. Sehun cared about him so much. Sehun was going through thick and thin with him. Seeing Sehun diligently scrub him with a tongue poking out of his mouth like he did whenever he concentrated made him want to cry. Sehun cared for him so much. He was starting to see, that Sehun might not ever leave him, although Baekhyun wasn't worth it. And he could feel, as Sehun started to wash his toes, that for this Baekhyun would be forever indebted to Sehun. Sehun was perfect, he would be a fool to ever let him go.

 

Baekhyun could never leave Sehun. Baekhyun never wanted to leave Sehun. And as he realised that even if Sehun one day did go, it had nothing to do with what Baekhyun felt about Sehun.

Because Baekhyun felt it. He felt what he couldn't say.

 

He subtly wiped his eyes.

 

“…Baekhyun?” Sehun asked in a small voice. “… what’s wrong? Does it hurt a lot?”

 

“Nothing just… I’m so lucky to have you,” said Baekhyun. “I’m sorry I put you through all of this.”

 

Sehun smiled until his eyes were crescents. “You might be the only person I’d do this for.”

 

 

 

---

 

 

“Oh Sehun.”

 

It had been about a week, and Baekhyun’s voice was nearly all better but still sounded scratchy.

 

“What?” said Sehun loudly. His tongue was out as he had headphones in one ear, staring at the computer game intensely.

 

Sehun needed to be punished for not paying attention to his amazing boyfriend.

 

“Sehun, the doctor called. Can you come to the kitchen with me?” he asked soberly.

 

“… of course,” said Sehun nervously, quickly chucking the headphones away.

 

He sat on a dining chair, Sehun on the one next to him. He opened his hand as a gesture for Sehun to hold his, and Sehun clutched at it.

 

 

 

“I have some good news and bad news.”

 

“Uh huh,” said Sehun, face serious.

 

“Good news is- the lung biopsy came out fine! The doctor said that they’re nothing wrong with my lungs, it might have been a really bad throat infection. I have to pick up antibiotics from them. The bad news is, they, um. They found something else.”

 

Baekhyun let out a heavy sigh.

 

Sehun nodded, bringing Baekhyun’s hand up to his lips to kiss it.

 

“There’s something wrong with my heart,” Baekhyun continued.

 

“What?” said Sehun, chewing his lip. “What did they find?”

 

“Apparently, for the last two and a half years I’ve had this thing where my heart felt really funny.”

 

Confusion and concern was clear in Sehun’s eyes.

 

“I’m really sorry Sehun but… it was in love. Sehun, I love you. I have for a very, very long time now. I’m sorry it took me so long to say it. I love you so much.”

 

Sehun gasped and slapped Baekhyun hard before bursting into tears.

 

 

 

 

“I love you too,” said Sehun shyly in Baekhyun’s ear as Baekhyun howled about his stinging cheek, hugging Baekhyun to him. “I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you.”

 

 

 

A/N Done!

 

Tbh this is actually a spin off of another fanfiction I haven't posted, but that one I am too lazy to work on lol. But I hope I can write more sebaek in the future!

 

What I imagine Sehun to look like day of biopsy:

 

Zzz

And sehun and baekhyun lived happily ever after.

Thanks for reading!