The Meeting

All That's Left Behind

 

 

Baekhyun's hands were shivering, but it wasn't due to the snow that'd been falling since the late days of September, but the very fact that he doesn't know how to face him

How to face Kris. 

His fingertips turned icy cold as he held the handle to the front door of the cafe they had agreed to meet at.

 

Usually, he'd be paranoid to be out in public like this. Due to EXO's exploding popularity, going out without a body guard was like putting a bright flashing sign over his forehead saying "PLEASE MOB ME." And yes, all caps. He was asking for it, but he couldn't care less. 

He had to see him. He had to see Kris.

He took in a deep breath and pushed the door open, scrambling inside. The rich aroma of coffee soon devoured his lungs, easing him immediately. He tugged his hoodie over his head a little more. The last thing he wanted was to get caught when he's almost there.

His phone buzzed in his pocket, shocking him for a split second.

 

1 new message

From: Kris 형형이

Up here man.

 

He looked up to the second floor and saw a man dressed up similarly to him. Shades and a hoodie. His favourite hoodie to wear to practice back in the days. The man in shades gave a wave, affirming that it was indeed him. "It's him." Baekhyun said to himself. 

Finally after six months of painful silence, he gets to see his brother again.

 

Walking up the flight of stairs was a challenge for Baekhyun. It was as if with each step, his legs got heavier. He was afraid to face him. 

"What will I say?" Baekhyun questioned himself whilst hiking up the flight of stairs.

Hey Kris sorry I couldn't back you up that day. 

Oh sorry Kris we just didn't wanna lose our jobs that's all. 

Oh sorry Kris they forced us to unfollow your instagram because they told us to cut all connections with you and we listened because we're a bunch of teens who didn't wanna lose everything we have left.

 

Baekhyun had no idea how to explain things without hurting anyone's feelings.

He shook his head, trying to ease his thoughts. Focus, Baek.

 

Baekhyun approached him at the corner. There was no one else on the second floor other than a foreign couple. Their little secret meetup should be safe then. He stood beside the empty chair in front of him. He was speechless.
 

"Hey, no need to bow to me Baek. We're over the formalities, remember?" Kris said, letting out a chuckle.

 

His voice. His somewhat understandable Korean. His genuine smile. It was him. It was really him. Hearing him say his name after so long, it just overwhelmed him so much. He found himself close to tears as he took his seat.
 

"H-Hyung.." Baekhyun somehow whimpered. "H-How have you been? Hyung I'm so sorry. We were just so powerless. Everything back in the company, it's just horrible! Hyung I-"

"Shh. Relax Baek. We have all the time in the world to talk it out today." He assured Baekhyun with a smile. "Toasted almond with hazelnut. Like how you always liked it back then." He passed him the cup of coffee. He remembered. 

He obediently took a sip, before Kris started talking.

"Congratulations about Taeyeon by the way. I always knew you guys were gonna hit it off someday." He grinned at him.

Baekhyun, however, slammed his cup onto the coffee table, shocking Kris. 
 

"Hyung, how can you make it sound so easy? Did you not think about how we felt? Hyung, we were missing a part of us. We had to act like we wanted nothing to do with you after Youngmin said you were no longer a part of us anymore.

And you know what's the worst part?!" Baekhyun was about to choke on his words, the tears in his eyes threatening to fall.

 


"Hyung, the most painful part was how we had to put on a show to show everyone that we were okay." 

And he cried.