08

The Little Bumblebee

Going public


"Do you want anything to drink?" Kai asks, nudging your thigh under the table. The little action doesn't go unseen by Chanyeol. 

You shake your head and Kai nods, leaving the table to order for him and Chanyeol. It's after the lecture and the three of you are hanging out in a cafe. Ever since you brushed Chanyeol's question off, he has been keeping a close eye on you and Kai. And you know so because he's doing it openly. When Kai comes back sitting next to you, Chanyeol narrows his eyes on the two straws Kai's drink has. 

"Spill," Chanyeol demands, crossing his arms. He isn't amused.

You bristle, but Kai straight up confesses, "We're together now." 

"Together? As in a couple?" The older boy doesn't seem surprised. Instead, his eyebrows are raised, as if confirming. You nod timidly. His facial expression doesn't change. Until the widest grin slides onto his face, "Took you long enough, Kim Jongin." 

"What?" You furrow your eyebrows, glancing at Chanyeol and your boyfriend. "Explain." 

"So bossy," Kai clucks his tongue as he stretches to hang his arm around the back of your chair. He fingers the ends of your hair. 

"Kai had a crush on you ever since he got to know you," Chanyeol explains just as you wanted, unlike your boyfriend who is playing with your hair. "And he's been complaining to me about this and that ever since then. Ugh," he groans. "Do you even know how jealous Kai can get sometimes? It's terrible!" He shakes his head, shuddering at the memory. "He's always thought you don't like him but I've been telling him that your actions towards him aren't just friendly actions." You blush and the both of them chuckle. "I guess Kai took a leap and he's done well. Congrats, you two!" 

Chanyeol is smiling at the two of his best friends who have just gotten together. You're still red when Kai tucks your hair behind your ear so that he could see your face. He ruffles your hair gently. 

The older boy adds, "Probably due to a trigger, am I right, Kai?" 

"Trigger?" You murmur. "What trigger? Like a stimulus?" 

Chanyeol shakes his head, "Not a stimulus, princess. A trigger. Or should I say... A person?" 

"Person?" You your head to the side, feeling Kai's fingers brush your cheek lightly. 

"Sehun," Kai almost growls. Your eyes widen at the boy's name and you hear the legs of a chair being dragged on the floor. 

You turn your head and are met with Sehun's smiling face. You smile back, giving him a small wave. Kai's thighs are pressed against yours. You're all too aware of his body next to you. Chanyeol grins, sitting back in his seat. He crosses his arms again and he actually seems like he's ready to watch a movie. 

"Hey cutie," Sehun greets you first before acknowledging the two other boys. Kai freezes next to you. "Since I bumped into you guys, I'll just ask you now. I'm having a small get-together with some friends and I'm wondering if you guys wanna come? It's on Friday night and we'll be drinking." He glances at you worriedly, but then brushes it off. "But I'm sure these two will keep you safe." Sehun sweeps his gaze back to the boys. "So, what do you say?"

Chanyeol shrugs and Kai looks at you. You return his gaze and he asks softly, "You wanna go?" You shrug. If he goes, you'll go too. Kai sighs. He catches Chanyeol's eyes and you watch them have a conversation through their eyes. Weird. Kai looks at Sehun finally, "We'll all go." 

"Awesome!" Sehun grins, clapping once. "Well then, I'll not intrude any longer. See you there, I'll text you the details!" 

When he leaves, you hear Chanyeol's faint chuckle and his mumble to himself, "Can't wait to see how things will go down."

 

 

You're in Sehun's apartment and there are about seven other guys in here, excluding Kai, Chanyeol and Sehun. Some of them have girls by their sides, some are talking to each other. The guys all seem close to each other, considering the ruckus that greeted you when you had entered the house. You lodge yourself in between Chanyeol and Kai, feeling rather out of place here. You don't know any of these people. Kai has a guiding hand on the small of your back. The three of you walk even deeper into the home. 

"Hey!" Sehun greets, slapping Chanyeol on the back. The latter grins back. "You're the last ones, now we can start eating." You guys start following the boy and he turns back to wink at you, "I hope you're hungry, cutie." 

You blush every time you hear that nickname. Kai's hand has now moved to your hand. He clenches tightly onto your small hand. When you reach the living room, the group of people halts their movements. You don't like the attention and you squirm under their gazes. But you find yourself relaxing slightly when they start smiling. Kai pulls you closer to him. 

Sehun starts introducing each and everyone in the room. You don't remember their names, so you hope you don't have to talk to them. Supper (since it is already late) begins. Everyone is dotted all over the place with a plate in their hands. Most have beer bottles next to them. You're standing next to Kai and Chanyeol at a corner when a boy steps up to you. 

"Hi!" He chirps and holds out his hand. "I know you won't remember my name, so I'll introduce! I'm Jongdae!" You smile shyly and take his hand in yours. He squeezes it gently. You think you hear Kai snarling but maybe it's just your hearing. He introduces himself to the boys. "I don't think I've ever seen you guys in school. Except for you Chanyeol, you're everywhere." 

"Hey!" Chanyeol scolds in good humour.

"I've seen you around, though!" A girl comes over. She beams at you and Jongdae wraps his arm around her shoulder. "You're always with Kai and Chanyeol." 

"This is my girlfriend," Jongdae introduces and you think you feel Kai's posture relaxing. 

She continues, "The three of you are always together. Did you know that some people are betting on who you're going to end up with?" 

Jongdae claps his hand over his girlfriend's mouth and hisses, "Too much info, baby. Too much." 

Chanyeol is guffawing, bent over with laughter. His laughter has attracted many eyes and now, most of the people are looking at your cluster. Even Kai is smiling slightly. You furrow your eyebrows, it isn't that funny. You don't like it that people are betting on you

"Me," Chanyeol cackles. "And her," he jabs a rude thumb in your direction as he continues to laugh. 

You gasp unbelievably. You whack him in the shoulder and yell over his laughter, "What does that mean, huh?!" 

Kai puts a calming hand on your shoulder. You turn to look at him. Surprisingly, he is smiling. He leans down and whispers in your ear, "At least we know who won." That makes you as red as a tomato. 

You know people are looking so you turn as you cover your face and hide your face in Kai's chest. You feel your pillow rumble as Kai laughs, wrapping his arm around your shoulders and bringing you even closer to his body. You register Jongdae and his girlfriend giggling too. You groan, hiding even more. 

"Now we know the winner," Jongdae teases. 

"I don't like him already," you murmur into your hands. You know Kai heard you when he chuckles, patting your shoulder. 

"Come on, sweetheart. Don't be a party pooper," Kai berates affectionately. 

You huff indignantly but end up pulling away from your hiding place. Kai keeps his arm around your shoulders. You narrow your eyes on the couple opposite of you, ignoring the eyes staring at you from behind them. You're about to say something but Sehun walks in the front door with another of his friend. They're both carrying three bottles of hard liquor. 

"Let's start drinking!" Sehun cheers, the other boys joining in as well. 

All of you gather in the living room, some on the ground, some on the couch. Chanyeol is sitting in between Jongdae and some guy who looks like a man-eating cat. They seem friendly with each other though. You sit in between Sehun and Kai since you're more comfortable with them. You're sitting closer to Kai though, and he has a hand draped on your crossed legs. 

Sehun suggests a card game where every card has a different meaning and you have to drink depending on the card you get. You don't play because 1) you don't like to drink and 2) someone has to drive three of you home. Kai and Chanyeol are both aware of that fact. Being their best friend, you always find it your job to watch over the boys when you drink. However, when everyone's slightly buzzed already and the atmosphere is hyped, someone proposes to change the game. 

"Let's play truth or dare!" The man-eating cat face boy says. Everyone groans and he looks blank for a moment. "What...? You guys don't like it?" 

"It's lame, Tao!" Another cat face looking boy rolls his eyes.

"Then you decide on a game!" Said Tao counters pettily. "Since you're not lame, Xiumin hyung."

Xiumin ignores him and beams at everyone. "Let's play 'I Have Never'!" 

Everyone cheers and you almost giggle at Tao's indignant expression. Sehun nudges you and you turn to look at him. He grins, "You have to play, okay?" You open your mouth to protest but he beats you to it. "I know you have to drive them home. But the three of you can just stay over, you know. The others are doing that, too." 

"I'll drink for you, princess!" Chanyeol yells from the other side of the room.

"I'll drink for you, sweetheart," Kai says softly at the same time as Chanyeol.

Sehun smirks, "Popular, huh cutie?" You blush and he reaches out to ruffle your hair. "Just kidding, babe. Don't need to go all red every time I talk to you." You go even redder. 

You search for Kai's hand that is planted on floor in between the both of you where it is hidden from the others. He is resting his head on the shoulder that is propped up by his hand. He raises his head lazily, eyeing you with an unreadable gaze when you brush your fingers over his repeatedly. He sighs and sits upright. He can sense your embarrassment. He flips his hand so that his palm is facing the ceiling. You clamp the ends of his fingers with yours and it magically gives you a sense of security. 

"I have never..." Sehun starts as he rakes his eyes over his friends. "Fallen for my best friend."

You and Kai freeze. Even though the atmosphere isn't tense, you think it is. You feel like everyone is staring at you even though they aren't. You catch Chanyeol's teasing eyes and you flush a deep shade of red. Kai reaches for the shot glass in front of him and downs it in a gulp just as a few others do too. Then, he glances at you with a faint blush on his cheeks before getting the shot glass in front of you. He makes a face at the end of it and you quickly give him your carbonated drink. 

It is your turn and everyone's eyes are on you. You gulp, touching Kai's fingers for assurance. You decide to go for the safest but lamest one, "I've never had ." 

Out of everyone, only you, Chanyeol, some guy named Suho, his girlfriend, another guy named Kyungsoo, and Kai don't drink. Almost everyone is taken aback by the fact that Kai is still a . He smirks, rather smug about that fact. You smile adoringly, exactly knowing how Kai values his morals. Even if he had wanted to deflower a girl, he would never do so unless she agrees to it. Even so, you're certain that he would still hesitate. 

But you narrow your eyes playfully at Sehun, who grins and winks at you. You laugh, pushing him by the shoulder. Kai clears his throat and you snap your attention to him. 

"I have never liked sharing my girlfriends," he says firmly. Everyone furrow their eyebrows at him because that is the stupidest statement ever. No one likes sharing his girlfriend. 

But you still when Kai's intense eyes lock onto yours. He looks frustrated and annoyed. He glances behind you and shoots Sehun a look. Piecing everything together, your eyes widen. Reluctantly, you turn back to Sehun. He is glaring back at Kai with equal tension. You gulp.

You look back at Kai, only to have him grab your face with both your hands. He closes the distance between your lips as you watch with wide eyes. His eyes are shut closed, his eyelashes resting on his cheeks. Just before he kisses you, you close your eyes too. Kai's kiss is firm and adoring, yet you could feel the dominance of it. He wants to claim you as his. And just Chanyeol knowing isn't enough for him. 

When Kai pulls back, he gazes at you with an apologetic reaction. You know he's sorry for being too rash. But you smile reassuringly, squeezing his hand. Now, he faces the entire group as if they are his audience. 

"She has a boyfriend," Kai explains. He gives Sehun a look as the both have a stare down. "And it's me."