Final

Sweet Payback

It was a sunny Monday morning. Grandmas are outside their houses, watering their plants. Parents are walking their child to school while entertaining them with their fantasy-like stories, or even corny jokes. Some are getting some fresh air to breathe in while some are taking their usual jog to make sure that they're fit and start their day the right way.

 

Kim Jaeseop is just a typical guy out there. He's charismatic, kind, gentle, loving – you name it. He’s not a rich person so, yeah. He doesn’t have his own house and he’s only living in a rented small apartment. In fact, he only eats ramen every day. Unhealthy, he knows, but, that’s all he could afford. He did have friends, but unlike the others in his school, only a few. He didn't like having a big group of friends. "You will only find yourself sooner or later being stabbed in the back by one or two – or even the three of them, so, why bother?" Yep, that's what Jaeseop believes. It's true though. That's why he would rather be around the ones that he truly trusted and knew. He dresses nicely and all fancy, or maybe... everything just suited him well? Hmm.

 

Today was the day.

 

Today was the day that Jaeseop would be making his moves on someone that he's been crushing on ever since he had laid his eyes on him. Obviously, he felt extremely nervous. He had never planned to do something this big in his life ever. Obviously, he was getting pumped up. It does excite him, especially since he has no idea on how his plan was going to turn out. Obviously, he was already feeling shy and embarrassed about all of this. He was never that kind of person to express his feelings to someone special.

 

Well, to make all of that short, he was feeling mixed emotions. He himself didn't understand, too.

 

Jaeseop sat right up when his Nokia 3310 alarmed, signaling that it was already time to get up. It was 7:00AM.

 

He stood up and did a bit of stretching. Walking up to his small mirror, he told himself, "Kim Jaeseop, you can do this."

 

He went through his normal morning routine: eating breakfast, taking a shower, and brushing his teeth. On the other side though, he took longer than usual to get ready. He took out his newly-bought polo t-shirt and wore it. He styled his hair up, sprayed some perfume on, which he had borrowed from his friend, Soohyun.

 

Jaeseop took a glance in his old, rusty wristwatch. It was already quarter to 8AM. He grabbed his backpack and took one last look in the mirror. Perfect.

 

 

And with that, he left his apartment.

 

 

Arriving at school, he patiently waited for the love of his life -- Kevin Woo. That's right; the popular guy (which is the exact opposite of him) is the one that he admires the most. Ever since grade school, the latter had already made his heart skip a beat whenever he would lay his eyes on him. The way he laughed, the way he fixed his hair, they way he talked – everything suited him. It was just so breath-taking to witness someone like him. And this time, he's going to bring out the best in him and ask Kevin out.

 

Dug dug. Dug dug. Dug dug.

 

Jaeseop's heart skipped a beat.

 

Kevin has just arrived.

 

"You can do this, Jaeseop. You can. Have faith in yourself and just do what you've practiced in front of the mirror, okay? Okay...", Jaeseop gulped. Now is the time.

 

He took out the bouquet of roses, love letter, and box of chocolates he had prepared the day before. Kevin was already nearing him.

 

"Kevin!", Jaeseop blurted out of nowhere.

 

Ugh, I can't believe this is it!

 

Kevin looked at him and approached him slowly. People were already gathering around them in confusion, forming a crowd.

 

"Yes...?", he asked.

 

Dug dug. Dug dug. Dug dug.

 

Say it.

 

"..."

 

"..."

 

"..."

 

"...nothing? Alright, I have to go now.”, Kevin shrugged.

 

"Wait!", Jaeseop nervously said.

 

"U-uhm... Kevin. I've got something to tell you..."

 

"Okay..? What is it about, then?", Kevin crossed his arms.

 

Breathing in deeply one more time, Jaeseop gathered all the confidence he had and spoke with all his might.

 

"I...I've been meaning to tell you this for a long time now, actually...", "Kevin, I really really really like you. Ever since I've seen you for the first time in grade school, I already felt this... this weird feeling in my chest. I was stunned. I was speechless. As the years slowly passed by, this feeling never left. Instead, it has gotten stronger. I know it myself. I love seeing you smile, I love hearing your laughs even if I'm a foot away from you, I love being in the same place as you, I love everything about you. Kevin, I know you don't know me that much and you probably think I'm out of my mind now but, please... w-will you go out with me..?", Jaeseop confessed, handing his gifts out as he panted.

 

Kevin stared at him and looked around the crowd, clueless.

 

 

Silence.

 

 

"Well... do you have a Lamborghini?", Kevin surprisingly asked.

 

Jaeseop shifted in his place. Did he just hear it right?

 

"W-well, no..."

 

"Do you have a mansion, then?"

 

"No..."

 

"Do you have an iPhone?"

 

"No, I don't...", Jaeseop ashamedly bowed his head in embarrassment.

 

"See? You don't have anything and you're asking me, Kevin Woo, out? Oh my gosh. Think first, alright? Please, stop embarrassing me in front of them. Don't do this again.", Kevin emphasized.

 

"Anyway, my answer is no. I'm leaving now, bye.", and with that, Kevin left him hanging.

 

Jaeseop shockingly stood there, rejected and hurt. He could not believe that he just said those words. No one has ever talked to him like that, ever. And it was just so unbelievable that it came out of his love’s mouth.

 

Tears started forming in his eyes, threatening to fall in any second. Feeling humiliated, he dropped everything he had in his hands and sadly walked out of the campus, heading back home, skipping classes for the rest of the day.

 

8 Years later

 

Kevin's POV

 

Kevin entered the building of the most successful company in South Korea, KJS Corporation, as he waited for his husband, Eli, to come out. They were going to eat lunch in a fancy restaurant in his free time and, perhaps, do a bit of shopping. He giggled.

 

As he was waiting, he roamed around the large building and took glances around him. He felt proud that Eli worked in this company. He would earn about 23,310,023₩ every month, and, yes, they are that rich. Kevin would never replace Eli, he thought to himself.

Suddenly, he felt someone tap his shoulder. As he turned around, he felt surprised to see someone he had not expected to see.

 

It was Kim Jaeseop, the one he had rejected and embarrassed in front of people in their school back then.

 

Staring at him with his eyes opened widely, he felt speechless and flabbergasted.

 

"Hey Kevin, do you remember me? It's me, Jaeseop!", Jaeseop happily said.

 

"W-well, y-yeah, I do...", Kevin stuttered.

 

Jaeseop smiled, obviously pleased to see the latter.

 

"How are you doing? You seem great.", he observed.

 

"O-oh, I'm here to see my husband. He works here.", Kevin proudly stated, forgetting the feelings he had felt just a second ago.

 

"He does? Well, that's wonderful!", Jaeseop said.

 

"Yeah, he does. I can't believe he got in this company. Well, who am I to doubt him? He's such a great guy. He succeeds in everything, I must say. In fact, he earns about--", "Kevin!", Kevin got interrupted as someone called him. It was his husband, Eli.

 

"Kev, did you wait that long? Sorry, I just got out of the meeting room and... o-oh, Sir Jaeseop, you're here!", Eli bowed politely to Jaeseop.

 

Kevin looked at them confusedly. What the heck is happening here?

 

Noticing Kevin’s puzzled look, Eli chuckled and stood up formally.

 

"Kevin, baby, he's our boss, Kim Jaeseop. He's a very nice guy and treats us very well! He’s the one I’ve been telling you. Sir, this is Kevin, he's my husband.", Eli proudly introduced each other, his smile reaching his eyes.

 

Kevin gulped.

 

Jaeseop chuckled.

 

"Yeah, I know, he's my schoolmate back then, Eli. I saw him roaming around so I thought, why not approach him?", he patted Eli in the back.

 

"R-really? Wow, Kev, you never mentioned anything about him. What a coincidence!", Eli said out of amusement, clasping his hands together.

 

"Well, if you'll excuse me. I have an appointment to attend to so I have to get going now. Thanks for your time!", Jaeseop said.

 

"And Kev, it wasnice seeing you again. See ya!", and with that, he walked out of the building, walking towards his Lamborghini and driving off.

 

Kevin stood speechless.