Dinch

True Love's Test

 

Mmm she smelled so good. Yunho was intoxicated with her smell. He hugged her tighter, burying his face into her neck, giving it a very soft kiss. He breathed her in as he let out a quiet purr. He wanted her, all of her. He didn't know what had gotten into him this morning, but there was a fire burning in his gut and it wanted fuel, and lots of it. He just couldn't get enough of her.

 

“Ehm.. so are you paying by the hour or..?” a very antagonistic voice sarcastically sneered into his ear. He opened his eyes and found himself in the middle of his own worst nightmare.

“What are you doing, man!?” Yunho stared at him, enraged.

“You do realize that it's you that's hugging me, right? And I'm pretty sure those weren't my lips that I felt on my neck just now, not unless I acquired some out of this world incredible gifts of flexibility over night.” Changmin put up a devilish smile, pointing at Yunho's arm with his eyes. His arm that was still around Changmin, holding on for dear life. Yunho jumped up and out of bed. He cleared his throat in a panic, but the words refused to come out.

“Well, I'm going to go shower your stinky slobber off me so you have fun with your situation over there.” Changmin snorted and gave him an evil glare on the way to the bathroom, all full of himself like Yunho had actually meant to throw himself at him. He had to see that it was just an honest mistake. He thought he was waking up beside Yuna, which made all the sense in the world since she had been the only person to share his bed in quite a while now. That was all it was. A habit. And Changmin probably knew that, he was just yanking his chain. And it was working. It irked him beyond belief. He did not know how he was going to live with that spoiled brat for three whole weeks. He took a deep breath, wishing time would pass faster.

 

That snarly prima donna took forever to shower. What was he doing in there for so long? There were insects that could have lived out their entire lives in the time he took to get clean, from larvae to beautiful butterflies. Was he trying to rub the skin on his neck off completely? He got the urge to barge right in there and tell him that there were quite a few ladies that would have offered up one of their kidneys to get a kiss like that from him, but he resisted. Stinky slobber? His slobber wasn't stinky! He checked his breath just to be sure. It was fine! It was an overreaction if he ever saw one. He was the one who wasn't gay, if there was anyone that should be freaking out over this, it was him. And was he? No! It had been an honest mistake. End of story. If anything, Changmin should consider himself lucky to have gotten to share a bed with such a dashingly handsome stand up guy like himself. He bet Changmin's conquests weren't half as dreamy.

 

Changmin finally emerged, dressed and groomed to a T. What, was he expecting the president to drop by later? What an overkill when they were under house arrest. Yunho had simply jumped into his sweat pants, not even bothering to wash up properly, since Changmin had taken his toiletries hostage, just splashing a bit of water on his face in the kitchen sink and he was good to go.

“Drama queen.” he mumbled under his breath, masking it with a cough.

“What?” Changmin growled.

“Oh, the ramen is ready, it looks delicious.” Yunho smiled widely as he put the pot on the table, feeling his stomach grumble with appreciation.

“You call that delicious?” Changmin crinkled his nose in disgust.

“Let's eat!” he declared as if he was calling for a truce, letting Changmin's attitude fly right past him, not taking the bait. He handed him a pair of chopsticks, but Changmin just stared at them. Had he never seen chopsticks that weren't made of pure gold before? He was about to throw some comment at him, when he snapped out of it and took the chopsticks out of his hand. He looked weird. Like he was taken aback. And just for a split second, not even that, he felt as if he had seen a different side of him. A more vulnerable, human side. It was probably just his imagination.

Yunho pushed the pot closer to Changmin, and picked up the lid, fishing out a huge bundle of steaming noodles, resting them on the lid while he moved them over to his mouth that was watering with anticipation.

“Wait!!” Changmin exclaimed, making him stop in his tracks. He couldn't imagine what the issue was, did he want to sprinkle some poison over them before he had the chance to consume them perhaps?

“It's just.. you'll get burnt if you inhale them right away like some starving homeless man.” Changmin awkwardly spat at him, his eyes stuck to the table the entire time. “And what's with the lid, we do have plates you know! We're not living in a cave.” he added as he abruptly stood up and loudly opened a few cabinets until he found them, bringing two over. Yunho was speechless. Did he actually just show concern for him, like real human-ish concern? It was rude and insensitive on so many different levels, but concern was concern. There went his futuristic robot conspiracy theory. He hid a smile while he patiently blew on his noodles before tearing into them like a lion with a fresh kill in its clutches. Man, he was hungry.

 

“So what's the plan for today?” Yunho asked an appalled Changmin, his mouth still full. Changmin was staring at him like he couldn't believe what he was seeing. He checked if he had something on his face, but it was just a mild case of ramen water, nothing to warrant that expression.

“I was thinking we could split the apartment into zones, my zone, your zone, communal zones with a schedule for who can use what when. That way we won't have to bump into each other, we can just stay out of each other's way.” Changmin clinically explained.

“I call the bedroom!” Yunho yelled immediately, nearly cutting him off while he was still talking.

“Damn it!!” Changmin hit the table, admitting defeat. Yunho couldn't suppress the grin that captured his face. Hurray for small victories!

 

They spent most of the day apart, Yunho using it to catch up on some much needed beauty sleep. His work load was wrecking havoc on his skin, this was his chance to decompress and recharge.

“LUNCH!!” Changmin's voice barged right through the door.

Yunho checked his watch, it was around 3PM. Lunch? But if he was offering food, Yunho was not going to say no. He never turned down free food. Although he wasn't sure Changmin's yuppie food would match his palate. He imagined the table full off weird French food like snails and frog legs, everything in its perfectly calculated place, a thousand different sized forks beside the plate that ultimately all had the same function, to stick food. He never got why people needed so many different utensils. He only needed chopsticks and then he was good to go, he could eat anything that was put in front of him. Except perhaps frog legs, there wasn't even any meat on them so it was pointless anyway.

Reality couldn't have been further from his imagination, even if it had tried. The moment he exited the bedroom, he had to sweep his jaw off the floor. It was like walking into an active battle field, of a losing battle. There were pots and pans lying strewn over the floor, the counter was littered with spilled food and there was some kind of a slow motion explosion happening on the stove.

And up popped Changmin's head, he had been burrowing into a nearby cabinet. His cheeks were white with flour and there was a drop of red sauce right on the tip of his nose, reminding him of Rudolf. Aigoo. He couldn't help but giggle. It was the cutest thing. He was wearing an apron, and somehow, magically, it was the only thing in the entire kitchen that was remotely clean. How?

Changmin paid no attention to him, pouring something into the trouble he was cooking up. And then he started stirring. Yunho had never seen such intense stirring. It was like he was trying to murder whatever was in the pot. “Aissh!!!” he complained to the air, stirring even faster. Yunho dared closer, though he was honestly a little afraid for his life.

“Oh.. hey...” Changmin said distracted, his eye glued to the pot. It was some sort of liquid, sauce maybe?

“I did everything the packet said! It promised that if I just put in some water and some milk, that it would turn out right. Lies. It was all lies!! It's all lumpy and the color! It was supposed to be a delicious ginger-brown color, but no, it just looks like watered out coffee!!” he growled angrily. There was fire in his eyes, he was on a war path. Yunho was so relieved not to be in the sauce's shoes, or pot in this case, and he hoped he never would. Prayed. This was the first time in his life he actually felt sorry for sauce.

Gently. Very carefully, he took the whisk out of his hand and lead him away from the stove. “It's over. There's nothing more you can do for it now. Let it rest.” Yunho said in a soothing voice as he seated Changmin in a nearby chair, hoping it would calm him down. Salvaging what he could, he gathered their meal on the table. Once Changmin had some food in his stomach, he started to ease up, his breathing turning to normal. What an intense guy. It was almost impressive.

 

Surprisingly, the food was actually edible and they even exchanged a word or two that were not insults. If it had been anyone else, Yunho would have thought it was quite a nice lunch.

“So do you always eat lunch in the middle of the day? Is that some sort of a chaebol thing?” Yunho snorted, sending him a teasing wink.

“People have brunch don't they? That's not at a normal hour...” Changmin retorted, shrugging his shoulders. The strain from the madness earlier had clearly taken its toll, there was less bite in his words. Maybe he should make sauce more often.

“So what would this be called then, linner? dunch?” Yunho guffawed, delightfully pleased at how witty his joke was. “Or hey, dinch! That has a nice ring to it, right? Starts like dinner, but sounds more flimsy, like a short dinner.” he added, smiling proudly. And that was how dinch formally got its name, this moment going down in history.

They managed to have a chitchat over dinch, amazingly so. Yunho was starting to think this was his nicer twin, that they had changed places while he wasn't looking. His voice was so smooth and almost feminine, it was a joy to listen to. And he was so adorably shy and closed off. That, paired with his cutsie looks, one would never guess the roaring fire that raged within. Well, if one spent less than five minutes with him, any longer and one was very likely to get severely burnt.

 

“I cooked, you clean.” Changmin declared, like it was preordained and there was nothing he could do about it. Rules were rules. Yunho didn't think so.

“Na-a! Have you seen the state of this place?” he pointed out in vain, but then got the brilliant idea to fight fire with fire. “And the kitchen is a common zone, so clean up is too, by default.” he folded his arms to signal it was the end of the discussion.

“Fine.” Changmin surrendered to his own logic. Victory was sweet.

“I call drying!” he added, a hint of a smile flashing across his lips. Ahh, he just had to have the last word.

 

There were a ton of dishes to do, not to mention pots, pans and things Yunho didn't even know the purpose of. He handed Changmin the trillionth spoon, what had he been doing with all those spoons?, when Changmin's index finger accidentally brushed up against his skin ever so lightly as he took the spoon off his hands to dry it. It felt weird. The skin where he had touched him felt different somehow. It wasn't exactly tingling or itching, but it was something in that direction. His mind wandered to this morning, when he had gotten a similar feeling. Ah, it was just transference. Confusing him with Yuna had messed with his brain. It would blow over after a good night's sleep.

 

“OUCH!!” Yunho screeched in pain. When they were nearly finished with the dishes, Changmin had wound up the dish towel to create a kind of a rope, or whip more like it, and attacked him with it, flicking his thigh. There had been this awful snap noise when it his skin through his trousers and the pain. Excruciating.

It was on. It was so on. Yunho saw red, reaching for another dish towel, winding it up. There was this evil sparkle of joy in Changmin's eyes. He was enjoying this a little too much, that sadist.

 

They chased each other around the tiny apartment, torturing one another and laughing their asses off, basically having a blast. Maybe True Love was on to something by locking people up like this, so they had no choice other than to learn to communicate. If as different and mismatched guys as they were could learn to get along, and maybe, just maybe, turn out as friends in the end, then nothing was impossible.